• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #9 - Cataclysm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I'm probably in, this will be a good change to improve my terraining skills.

Only thing i want to know is do we have to do the terrain in two different maps? Can we terrain half of the map as before and the other half as after?

Level 36
For all I care, and this is how I would do it, you can create one terrain first, save it. Then use them same map and simply alter the SAME PLACE, then simply name the map something else. Like "before" and "after"

One example of this technique can be seen in one of my older terrains; http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/re-inventing-terrains-black-sphere-142724/

But sure, you can do as you please, as long as you post two shots displaying one screenie from before and one from after the cataclysm.

Level 18
I'm probably in, this will be a good change to improve my terraining skills.

Only thing i want to know is do we have to do the terrain in two different maps? Can we terrain half of the map as before and the other half as after?

I think you might be misunderstanding Kobas, your not supposed to make two maps, only two terrain shots. The only thing I want is a screenshot of your terrain, hence you use the same map for both shots.

Read before you ask questions that have already been answered...

As for participation: Who knows? I've never specified in terraining, but if I get a nice idea, I might join. Until then, you may assume I'm not in.

Level 18
Teamwork is not allowed. So providing a concept (as good or bad as it may be) for a participant is not allowed.

I'm also wondering: Does the terrain also have to show what cataclysmic event happened? Or can you just create 1 normal and 1 destroyed terrain?

Level 12
Yeah, don't forget not every place got destroyed.
I am not inferring that you use the same picture slightly altered, either.
You do after all have to show something majorly changed by Cataclysm, no?
(That's a rhetorical question.)

Level 18
It should be like this. And no, you don't have to show that, you just need to show the pre- and after- terrains...

Thanks for correcting me.
I actually didn't mean if you should actually be showing it in the terrain, but if the person who sees it has to understand what happened. I mean if I make 2 terrains (1 before and 1 after), should people be able to see that a hurricane passed or that there was a riot? Or is it just 2 terrains and anything could've happened there?

Level 18
I actually didn't mean if you should actually be showing it in the terrain, but if the person who sees it has to understand what happened. I mean if I make 2 terrains (1 before and 1 after), should people be able to see that a hurricane passed or that there was a riot? Or is it just 2 terrains and anything could've happened there?

Could somebody please answer my question?

Anything, Avator. It has to do with a catastrophic force, whatever the source is, which destroys something. You need the before and the after combined into one screenshot and once piece of terrain. That's all you need to know :)
Of course a person doesn't need to know what exactly happened; we don't care about the source of the destruction, we care about the result of the destruction.

Level 19
Cataclysm hmm.
The first thing that I can think of is the 2 things that can happen after my exams.
1) I graduate
2) I won't graduate and the earth will go down.
Might be cool to get this in terrain lol

And what about my question? :D

I'm afraid your question
would it be possible to submit more than two screenshots of the same scene, too show different states of cataclysm?
refers to this rule:

• You're only allowed 1 submission.

which is not displayed in this contest, but applies on every contest. You can't have a judge choose between your variations of the terrain, it was never applied and never will be.

Level 18
M0rbid, it IS 1 submission. Just multiple screenshots.

To clarify this: This is a terrain contest, not a screenshot of a terrain contest. That means that 1 submission is 1 terrain about the contest's theme. Any amount of screenshots may be made. Take a look at the previous terraining contests and you'll see they took multiple screenshots as well.

Since this theme is sort of a split theme (1 before, 1 after), you may take as many screenshots as you want as long as there's at least 1 before and 1 after the cataclysm.

@Wanarax:
Contest are actually a very good way to improve your skills at something. You'll be trying to push your limits and at the end, you'll see how others did something and why. So if you want to improve, a contest is never a bad idea if you're devoted.

Level 23
I mean showing more than two levels of cataclysm, for example: forest - desert - ocean...

EDIT: btw, it's time for a first very early WiP.
It's very early and I just started working, so please don't be too harsh! :) comments are appreciated!

Attachments

• CataclysmWiP.jpg
    CataclysmWiP.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Level 11
I mean showing more than two levels of cataclysm, for example: forest - desert - ocean...

EDIT: btw, it's time for a first very early WiP.
It's very early and I just started working, so please don't be too harsh! :) comments are appreciated!

I dunno but looks like you've forgotten somehting important, but I can't definetily say - what...

Btw. The contest has already started, but there is not any judjung criterias... Maybe you should add some at last?

Level 9
Cataclysm terrain? sounds cool, i'll give it a try.
I only have one question: How hard should the Cataclysm change the landscape? is it still ok if u just could imagine, that both screenshot belong together cause u just have one point (eg. a mountain in the background which is nearly not to see) that is similiar in both screenshots?

Level 36
Yes, that's allowed.

Now then Avator, I would like it if you dont go about and give out wrong information >.>

The rules clearly state that one is to submit two screenshots, to submit more than two is a matter that needs to be discussed.

And now I am REALLY getting tired of these questions; there is no limit to how much or how little it should be changed, as long as there is a significant change, a noticable one, in other words.

Level 14
If it is in the UTM or on this site or Wc3c. So no need to get a model approved if its not from these sources, because you won't be allowed to use it.

"Map may be based on the Ultimate Terraining Map. Or any other models taken from either Hiveworkshop or Wc3 Campaigns register."

Status
Not open for further replies.