1. Head to the 33rd Modeling Contest Poll and drink to your heart's desire.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Melee Mapping Contest #3 - 4 vs 4

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Mr.Henci, Dec 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Henci

Mr.Henci

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Arrr nice to see you joining, just in time to get in :D

Since we have reached the limit of 20 participants, I've created a waiting list. It will serve us in the case, if some participant won't be able to finish their map in time, allowing mappers from the waiting list to take their spot. (We might discuss extensions of participant list/deadline in case, that we will see how many mappers managed to finish their maps. Now it is too early, since there are 7 participants without WIP, which isn't bad, just saying it is too soon to talk about extensions.)

Soon it will be 4 weeks since the contest started and I must say, that I'm pleased to see so many good looking maps. Hope you people will find enought time and energy to finish them till the deadline.

Good luck and happy mapping! :)

2. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
    well, I started just today, only a few basic steps are done. The size is 192x192 (playable 176 x 176)

The center will have a life/mana well and 8 waygates which teleports you to the oposite side (e.g. from 12 clock to 6 clock, from 9 to 3 etc.) The center itself is not going to be very walkable (plan is that there should be very narrow ways from waygates to the well, so the teleport will be a way faster way to move around)

And the outer circle of the map (beyond the starting location) is the place for the natural expansions (there will be totally 16 goldmines besides the starting ones, so each player gets 2 additional goldmines), but they will be paired, so each two players will kind of share two mines together (I am planning some barier between them though)

Only thing I didnt figure out yet is the position of the tavern(s) and other neutral buildings. For now I want to go with 2 taverns, 4 shops, 2 mercenary camps and two goblin laboratories. Maybe I can fit one or two marketplaces in the inner circle near the well.

EDIT: As Ahmed the dead terrorist taught me: location! location! location! so... almost for four hours I was playing with MS paint to try to figure out the location of stuffs in my map

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  3. JaleVeliki

JaleVeliki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    wip
    [​IMG]

4. I've gotten mixed up with irl projects and other maps so I've slacked off on my "revamp" so far.

After NY I promise to put good wips in and finish it :)

And happy NY to all from me, pre-hand.

5. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Cavalry of great mappers arrived.

All looking great!!

6. Aggiba

Aggiba

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Are new members allowed to join? If yes, Im in.

7. Knecht

Knecht

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sure you can. Though you'll have to be placed on the waiting list as the limit is 20 participants - if anyone won't finish their map, you'll take their place instead.

8. JaleVeliki

JaleVeliki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The participants thing makes no sense, you can start working on your map Aggiba. Make it real good :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  9. Aggiba

Aggiba

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ok. Tnx, I will. If I didnt make it to the contest, I will still upload it, my world editor and warcraft 3 tft arent latest though, but not much behind.

10. Mr.Henci

Mr.Henci

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Aggiba great to hear that, there is still a big chance, that the participants limit will be raised after we discuss it with the judges.

@JaleVeliki what's the problem? If you mean, that contest is currently only for 20 participants, you have to understand that judging all those map in judge's free time, while staying objective and honest isn't a easy task. Also, every Hive contest should be wrapped up in some reasonable time.

11. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    For those who don´t know how to present the final entry, this is how. It must be uploaded in the map section and paste the link here.

Frostfloe Deep

@Mr.Henci, add my link as entry, I will update it to add some things and beta-test, but is pretty much near the final form.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2018
  12. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
    when I'm mapping, I'm starting to feel like I'm 17 again :-D, many things are coming to my mind again which I thought I forgot :p

I dont know if everybody know that simple thing, but just in case - when you are placing trees, turn on the ground pathing. That will guarantee that you will not make any unwanted space in the trees

13. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    yup, but not only trees.

when you are placing any kind of doodads P activated.

upload_2018-12-30_18-4-42.png

14. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
    well... first actual WIP with terrain, one base with its natural

Attached Files:

15. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    avoid small paths, try to make them wide, 8-10 editor pixel.

16. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
    well, it looks much smaller than it feels in game

but thats just the very first version which will be revised many times ofc

17. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Going to be inactive because of other stuff to do. My entry is done (more doodads won´t make diference in balance)

good luck everybody.

18. SadisticLeprechaun

SadisticLeprechaun

Resources:
    Resources:
    I checked out your map Ragnaros17, pretty awesome, looks like a ton of work went into it. I must admit there are so many places on it I kinda got lost lol . . great variation in terrain and creeps.

19. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
    another wip, the proto-terrain of the first fourth of the map is complete. This will be used to copy itself to the other 3/4 of the map.

But for now it is still flat, so next thing I will have to make hills and shallow water everywhere to make it feel "more alive"

Doodads other than trees (rocks, buildings, decoration, etc.) will be placed after the terrain will be done. The final step will be placing creeps and balancing the items dropped by the creeps WIP.jpg

20. Loner-Magixxar

Loner-Magixxar

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hi again guys. I'm almost finished. but I have one last question to ask. can we place level 0 items on the units? (e.g. rune of rebirth)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.