• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Melee Mapping Contest #3 - 4 vs 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
This is my entry

Hopefully everything works ok.

EDIT: aaaand already had to patch to 1.1

Edit 2 : I suggest also using the Object Manager to check out the maps, especially for items. Helps getting through things faster and cleaner.

While I'm at it I thought I'd share some thoughts regarding my map, in case someone had nothing better to do.

Map process and thoughts:

Themewise, I wanted to use Lordaeron Winters blue-ish terrain palette without the snow, but having only dirt and grass to work with I had to start using shallow water, and since there was yet not enough terrain diversity, I decided to experiment mixing in Dlaran Ruins tiles. That's where the theme and name of the map come from, Northmarsh Ruin.

Onto the real process - Having had little time to prepare like I usually do, I decided to go for a simple Timbermaw Hold style map with all players of each team cramped in a "common" starting area, without having to think too much about mirrored distances from creeps and objectives.
With this starting positions layout, I went for a top left to bottom right symmetry, but a top right to bottom left asymmetry.
This allowed me to have in the map some of the things I absolutely wanted in it: single impactful merc camps (lord Fall has bloodlust, northrend has some really interesting units aswell) and a single goblin lab, along with a "personal" fountain for each team, and I'd say most defining strong item drops.

Due to the hard to break bases and fountains I decided to go for low expo goldmines (8500 - 9500 - 10500), given the lower "defense cost" (easier to defend main bases and natural expos being close to them, fountain lowering healing and retraining costs).
This also brings the problem of lower personal initiative/impact with the safe bases making harras less effective, and skirmishes nullified by founts.

Uninteractive gameplay could also be incentivized by the worth of item drops in the map, with mayor camps being in the "outskirts".
At least the number of impactful drops can lower the value of the Marketplace a little bit.

The map has 6 red camps, 3 in each top right/bottom left corner. Given this decentralization of important camps, I had to put in some "dummy" ones. There are 4 poison camps that only drop lv2 active and lv2 charged, and 2 camp with a rune of healing (250) and lv2 active (the latter 2 being in the bottom left area of the map can at least help woth creeping the red camps around).

Also to avoid having too many items drop, I decided to have 2 of the red camps (top right) drop a rine of rebirth, that will give the player a lv6 siege golem.
Hopefully these will not be Too problematic, especially with some kind of dreadlord rush, or perhaps a t2 all in abusing some kind of merc camp timing.

To lower the chances of a team getting both the runes of rebirth, this area of the map (top right) is liked to the middle by a gateway.
This is also needed to make the map feel less "wide", to give better acess to the northrend merc camp and marketplace, and to give more weight to the middle of the map.
This area would otherwise have little weight objective wise, being good only as a start and the 2 shops.

To summarise, my main concern regarding the map is it only playing either as a timing push, or mass creep and go for a lategame allin.

Last edited:
Level 29
Hive Workshop's Melee Mapping contest #3 ends in:

Great!! All users aboard, with 20... mins left.

upload_2019-1-13_20-38-34.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 6
I gathered some overview statistics of the contest maps:

map namemap creatorCreepsCreep FoodExpansionsTotal Gold
Arctic Dream@Loner-Magixxar37998216300 000
Burning Steppes@fostaa430126424576 000
Cold Butterfly@Rockstar35610428210241 000
Desert Mirage@Restor30778216300 000
Frostfloe Deep@Ragnaros172105349232 000
Frozen Peak@mmtt338102818375 000
Golden Oases@XanderD25759212270 000
Legion's Demise@Knecht10026012283 000
Nerubian Passage@JaleVeliki2266268225 000
Northern Felwood@mafe2124508205 000
Northmarsh Ruin v1.1@Arrr19848211186 500
Scar of Northrend@Khaldaiel25982910252 000
Taken City@DuckDuckGoose21456112252 000
Treacherous Waters@Ascrelle1763768300 000
Underground Fortress (8)@sentrywiz5021330226 300 000
AverageAverage260.8691.913.1686 500
(285 535.7)
(The gold average within brackets is without the extreme value of Underground Fortress)

While this table is not supposed tell you what would be ideal these are some indicators about how the gameplay would turn out. More expansions means more gold influx at a given time - meaning, if every player has a safe expansion and maybe some even have a second they get a lot of gold and will probably break upkeep sooner in the game. So more expansion gold mines can lead to larger armies at an earlier stage and perhaps also more gameplay toward securing more expansions instead of early teching. This is neither right or wrong - just different. Also a large number of creeps and their levels means more experience and generally also more items. The more experience and items you can get on a map the more are players inclined to go for triple Hero strategies. I only used the total food of all creeps instead of the total level because I could get the total food consumption easily from the Object Manager. I could have selected all units on the map but selecting this many units usually causes me trouble - and I just didn't sum up from the unit list in the object manager. If someone else is willing to give me the numbers for the total creep levels of all these maps, I will put these in this table with pleasure. Note that I did not include the creeps at the starting positions.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I gathered some overview statistics of the contest maps:

(The gold average within brackets is without the extreme value of Underground Fortress)

Note that I did not include the creeps at the starting positions.

I laughed. Its true. In my defense, only 6 gold mines add up to 6kk gold.
However while gold might be near infinite in my map, lumber is not.

Also I maxed out the limit on the creeps. Seeing the data, only two maps
have a huge number of creeps, mine is one.

Note: I didn't put creeps where the players are.. is that necessary?

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 29
I laughed. Its true. In my defense, only 6 gold mines add up to 6kk gold.
However while gold might be near infinite in my map, lumber is not.

Also I maxed out the limit on the creeps. Seeing the data, only two maps
have a huge number of creeps, mine is one.

Note: I didn't put creeps where the players are.. is that necessary?

to play 3v3 or 2v2 yes, but all maps are going to be tested and reviewed as 4v4 so in my opinion it shouldn´t be a problem.

Level 14
@DuckDuckGoose all of the necessary and potentially useful information about the contest, tournaments, streams etc... that we need to know as mapmakers/Hive will likely be posted/announced here by the moderators/others any time soon. The contest poll isn't even up yet, so...soon :D

It would be fun to hear extensive feedback and see some games on stream! :)

Level 12
NameTilesetTypeSize
Artic DreamNorthrend2v2v2v2212 x 212
Burning SteppesDungeonFFA212 x 212
Cold ButterflyLordaeron Winter4v4168 x 133
Deser MirageBarrensFFA184 x 184
Frostfloe DeepUnderground4v4152 x 138
Frozen PeakLordaeron Winter4v4212 x 212
Golden OasesBarrens4v4212 x 180
Legions DemiseFelwood2v2v2v2148 x 148
Nerubian PassageIcecrown GlacierFFA180 x 148
Northrend FelwoodFelwood2v2v2v2212 x 152
Northmarsh RuinLordaeron Winter4v4144 x 144
Scar of NorthrendNorthrend4v4179 x 180
Taken CityCityscape4v4157 x 157
Treacherous WatersSunken Ruins4v4146 x 142
Underground FortressCityscape4v4251 x 149

I am too lazy to work with this table but here are another few interesting things about maps.

That "type" should mean that FFA can be played as FFA, as well as 2v2v2v2 or 4v4, and 2v2v2v2 can be played as 4v4 too (but not FFA), and 4v4 map can be played as 4v4, but not as 2v2v2v2 or FFA

It is quite interesting that the most popular tileset on ladder Lordaeron Summer was not used at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.