• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Melee Mapping Contest #1 - 1v1[$100 Prize Pool]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 32
the%20hive%20workshop.png

rsz_melee_contest_banner.png

SPECIAL MELEE MAPPING CONTEST - 1v1

PRIZES AND EXPOSURE SPONSORED BY BACK2WARCRAFT

Create a competitive 1v1 melee map that excels in terrain, dynamic, and creativity, but most importantly balance, for a chance to win $100 among many prizes!

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any submission does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
    • You must submit your entry before the deadline. To submit your final entry, you must upload the entry's contents as a bundle in the Maps Section, and link to that bundle in this thread confirming the submission.
    • Several screenshots of terrain and gameplay.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be bug free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
    • Finding testers to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
  • Imports may (optionally) be used in the map, however they must all be credited. *For melee maps, imports should be of cosmetic use for terrain and decoration use ONLY. Any playable or killable unit should not have/be a custom import.
  • *For melee maps, any gameplay altering data may not be changed.
  • *For melee maps, the game data in the editor must be set to "Melee (latest patch)"

prizes.png

• First Place: 30 reputation points, your entry on the award icon, a Back2Warcraft T-shirt, and $100 through paypal!
  • Second Place: 20 reputation points, an award icon, a Back2Warcraft T-shirt, and $50 through paypal
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points, an award icon, a Back2Warcraft T-shirt, and $25 through paypal
In addition, higher quality maps will have a chance to go on competitive map pools on 3rd party leagues and tournaments.

judges.png

Judges will also receive a free Back2Warcraft T-shirt!

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Balance
Is the map balanced for a player vs player 1v1? Are the positions and distance between points of interest fair? Does the map allow the 4 races to be balanced?
Consider balance when implementing the pathing, resources, creep camps, and item drops.
50/100

Terrain
Is the map visually pleasing in mediums of terrain, doodad placement, and overall theme? Is the map repetitive? Is the aesthetic well designed but not overly obstructive?35/100

Creativity & Uniqueness
Does the map bring something new or creative to the table?15/100

Bugs
Scores may be brought down if there are bug-like issues such as faulty pathing, unusable resources, etc-

• 75% of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25% of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on October 21 and conclude on November 21, 23:59 GMT

Thank you to Back2Warcraft for sponsoring Hive and providing these prizes in full force!

EDIT: ASSIGNED MODERATOR:
@Naze

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 32
entries.png

Please post if you plan to participate! You may start working on the map any time between the start date (October 21) and the finish date (November 21). There is no penalty for those who join late.

Total: 30/30
(Considering to raise limit, will talk with other judges - limit raised to 30)

WAITLIST (if someone drops out, the next person in line will be added if they please)
31. @Twilight ✓ Entry: (2)The Hidden Shrine
32. @titans_zealot ✓ Entry: Chocolate Robot
33. @Shady Fox ✓ Entry: Frozen Temple
34. @Rockstar356 ✓ Entry: Assault

DISCLAIMER:
If you decide to drop the contest any time, PLEASE make sure to state it so I can remove your name off the list. This is so I can add anyone the next person in the queue for the waitlist.

NOTE:
Rules and criteria are not set in stone until Saturday. If anything needs to be fixed, feel free to point things out.

Recommended Resources:
Hive - How To Create Melee Maps
Hive - Competitive Melee Map (Balancing Melee Maps)
Hive - Terraining Guide Megathread
The Helper - Professional Melee Mapping Guide
r/wc3 - What Goes Into Making A Good 1v1 Melee Map?

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 10
I give it a shot, I have a question :

Imports may (optionally) be used in the map, however they must all be credited. *For melee maps, imports should be of cosmetic use for terrain and decoration use only. Any playable or killable unit should not have/be a custom import.

isn't editing any object data make map into non-melee category? if the map is not melee category while keeping the gameplay still standard melee then it's fine?

also, I might need tester later. :pnewt:

Last edited:
Level 1
Definitely gonna take part in the contest!

Am I allowed to make more than one map for a contest?

Last edited:
Level 12
Very cool idea.

If I may give some quick tips to potential participants.

1. Damage item drops are disproportionately better for Orcs, because of the Blademaster

2. Make sure that the creep spots in close proximity to the main base does not easily grant enough exp for level 3. (Because militia creeping to a fast lvl 3 Archmage is almost uncounterable as an Orc)

3. Critter placement is an important aspect of Undead gameplay, because of Rod of Necromancy harass.

4. Make sure you account for Ancient of War creeping, it is often an integral part of Night Elf strategies.

Good luck to all participants, I will look forward to playing your awesome maps :)

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
I hope to find time to participate. It is a little unfortunate that I cannot submit some of the maps I made previously. Now I understand that you dont want be spammed by maps someone has lying around forever, or by maps that have been submitted to other contests before.

However speaking for myself, a limit of one month is kind of a challenge for me, as I rather chose to work on maps "slowly", often coming back and changing things after several weeks. And I have several old maps before which I have not shown to anyone and I could submit, but I guess that is off the table....? I guess I will upload one or two of them now to see how people react to them.

Some questions:
-I am kinda confused about "voice actors" and "playable units as import"? How should that even be in a discussion when talking about melee maps?
-Does adding lowcam/highcam or scoreboards in any way influence the outcome of the map?
-It is a 1v1 melee map contest, but surely you can also submit maps that have more than just two starting locations, as i common with maps such as TM or TR? I.e. that are viable in both 1v1 and 2v2.

Level 32
Can I judge? :3
PM me if you want to judge. Please provide evidence that you can review maps with a noticable effort in being objective, along with understanding the criteria (especially balance).

isn't editing any object data make map into non-melee category? if the map is not melee category while keeping the gameplay still standard melee then it's fine?
Any object data edited must be cosmetic to terrain and doodads only (no playable or killable units may be altered or have imports either). We care not if the category is officially melee as the same goes with 3rd party melee servers, only if the gameplay stays true and unaltered to melee.

And I have several old maps before which I have not shown to anyone and I could submit, but I guess that is off the table....? I guess I will upload one or two of them now to see how people react to them.
Basically, we won't allow any map to be submitted as their final entry that was already made/started before this Saturday, the 21st.

Some questions:
-I am kinda confused about "voice actors" and "playable units as import"? How should that even be in a discussion when talking about melee maps?
This rule was copied over from custom mapping contests fitted to this contest. The voice actors part has been removed.
-Does adding lowcam/highcam or scoreboards in any way influence the outcome of the map?
Yup, this affects gameplay. These aren't allowed.
-It is a 1v1 melee map contest, but surely you can also submit maps that have more than just two starting locations, as i common with maps such as TM or TR? I.e. that are viable in both 1v1 and 2v2.
This is allowed.

Can I use custom models or skins? Hmmm I'm very interested. I will join after the board examination :) I will ready my custom models and skins if it is allowed.
I think I made the rule clear, but,
IMPORTS ALLOWED FOR:
Terrain and doodads
NOT ALLOWED FOR:
Any playable or killable unit

But what if the winner have no paypal account? Can he use a different debit card?
Then he should make a paypal account or have it transferred to one of his friends or family :)

Level 32
Awesome idea! Can't wait to see the maps for this.

Out of curiosity, why might there be a cap on the number of participants? Is it so that judging doesn't take too long?
Yep and so it doesn't affect the quality of judging (so there's scenario needed to rush through testing tons of maps)

I will add the participant list tomorrow. Also note that if there's space, you can participate after the start date.

Level 3
I will gladly offer some guidance, if you have some questions regarding the balance of the races. I am avaliable from the weekend on d4rk#4573 at Discord.

Status
Not open for further replies.