1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 15th Mini-Mapping Contest came to an end. The Secrets of Warcraft 3 are soon to be revealed! Come and vote in the public poll for your favorite maps.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 12th incarnation of the Music Contest is LIVE! The theme is Synthwave. Knight Rider needs a song to listen to on his journey. You should definitely have some fun with this theme!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Join other hivers in a friendly concept-art contest. The contestants have to create a genie coming out of its container. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

The Origin of Light

Submitted by Svetli
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
SVETLI PRESENTS
THE ORIGIN OF LIGHT

MAP INFO:

The map is created for the
[$100 Prize Pool] Melee Mapping Contest - 1v1 (sponsored by Back2Warcraft)

Good luck & Have fun! :)

FEATURES:
- Custom tilesets and doodads
- 10 green camps, 16 orange camps and 5 red camps
- 4 Goldmines

- 12 neutral buildings: 2 Goblin Merchants, 2 Goblin Shipyards, 1 Fountain of Health and 1 of Mana, 2 Goblin Laboratories, 2 Taverns and 2 Mercenary Camps

CREDITS:

Special Thanks:
Blizzard Entertainment
The Hive Workshop
Chaos Realm

Also thanks to:

Models:
HappyTauren - Grassie
tobyfat50 - Island Rock
kellym0 - AnimatedCatTailAv.148
dhguardianes - Rainbow
Buster, HerrDave - Palm Tree [Fixed]
Em! - Fireflies
Remixer - Shrub - Variation A

Change Log:

Change Log

23.10.2017 - uploaded on Hive.
01.11.2017 - Start Locations are now mirrored, Changed fireflies doodad model, Added more doodads and tiles, Replaced locations of Neutral Buildings (Taverns and Mercenary Camps) and changed item drops.
16.11.2017 - Added more Trees and changed locations of creeps

17.11.2017 - Balanced the creep camps and a little more trees added

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Merchandise & Stuff:
Teespring - The best way to sell custom apparel online!

Keywords:

Human, Orc, Undead, Night Elf, War, Territory, Neutral Buildings.

Screenshots below:
Previews
Contents

The Origin of Light (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
1. Start Locations are not mirrored. The one in the north is on the road while the other one is outside it and a bit to the side of the mine. 2. Trees seem spaced. This could be a problem for in time harvesting and advantageous for Wisps. 3. There is...
deepstrasz
This does not qualify as Altered Melee. Please also remove the Terrain/Template tag. It's just a melee map with some custom content which does not change the original gameplay. Although this is an improvement, creeps are still not mirrored, they...
deepstrasz
A proper credits list must be written. The View In Resources option is only to help you. If you don't want to mirror the neutral hostile camps at all, then at least try to make them and their counterparts as balanced as possible. For instance, there...
deepstrasz
You didn't mirror all creep camps and certainly did not fill spaces between trees with trees meaning there is still scarce wood. Also, neutral hostiles don't start with full mana. However, it is your choice for compliance at this point. I would not...
  1. Alxen345

Alxen345

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    LOOKS TOTALLY AWESOME! Now that's what I call a good melee map! Lovely terrain, environment, everything. Deserves a 5/5 and instant approval!

2. Michael the Boombringer

Michael the Boombringer

Resources:
    Resources:
    I had a look at it and I saw a few issues. The map really favours UD, who doesn't need expo, while HU is pretty weak.

-decrease the distance between the middle creeps, but don't make them too close to each other
    -leave only 4 entrances to the outer circle and 2 to the inner one, so HU players can fortify the middle with towers and stand a chance against the destroyer push. HU can creep much harder than the UD, so the latter will have more XP and better items and HU can at least control the middle. The other paths look really nice, so just close them with rocks
    -create more trees, cause non-NE players will have a hard time.

3. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    1. Start Locations are not mirrored. The one in the north is on the road while the other one is outside it and a bit to the side of the mine.
    2. Trees seem spaced. This could be a problem for in time harvesting and advantageous for Wisps.
    3. There is a lack of trees. This is problematic for non=Night Elf players.
    4. The Gnolls near their three huts in the southwest did not drop anything.
    5. I guess you should avoid using Faerie Fire FX as a doodad or anything else for that matter.
    6. The Tavern is too guarded. It might as well not even be in case some players would enjoy having their first hero from there. Actually, the other Tavern (south) is even more protected... by different creeps.
    7. Some neutral hostile camps only face one of the player sides which means they can be attacked from behind by the other player. Turn rate is somewhat important, a few seconds are lost to the advantage of the attacker.
    8. There's a difference between the creeps guarding the northern expansion (mine) and those at the southern one. Same with the Mercenary Camps, Goblin Laboratories and Goblin Merchants. In general neutral hostile camps aren't mirrored. The top players has to fight harpies whilst the one on the lower part of the map only has to face ground units.
    9. The elementals near the Tavern drop two powerful items. I got a Helm of Valour and a Janggo of Endurance.
    10. There isn't sufficient room for mobility in the middle (where the fountains are). On top of that, the columns and rainbows block vision.
    11. In general, you are pretty much forced to break through neutral hostile camps to get to your enemy's base(s) unless you take ships and micromanage.

Please write a proper credits list!

Verdict: good looks but not melee ready.

Awaiting Update.

=========================================

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

A credits list is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated.

A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.

If you want more reviews, come here:
    The Grand Review Exchange!

4. Svetli

Svetli

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    @Paillan Is the map worth approval?

5. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If you are unhappy with a reviewer's review, then head to the staff contact instead of simply
    tagging another reviewer.
    You can't just do that only because you are unhappy about not getting approved.

6. Paillan

Paillan

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Sadly I cannot give my opinion on this one as I am also participating in the same contest, and therefore cannot review any maps related to said contest (otherwise people would say I am altering the results, or somethin).

7. Svetli

Svetli

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Ok then. No problem. :)

8. Alxen345

Alxen345

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Be a little more calm. When I read this comment, I imagine you screaming about the things Svetli said. All of us do strange things sometimes, but that doesn't mean we can't change. :)

9. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Your imagination is obviously fooling you.

10. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It is passive aggressive.

11. Alxen345

Alxen345

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Probably. But he should be nicer :) I think Svetli felt offended.

12. DarkRangerAlice

DarkRangerAlice

Resources:
    Resources:
    Why so rude ?

Btw, good luck @Svetli I hope you'll be doing well ! :D

13. Svetli

Svetli

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
  14. Michael the Boombringer

Michael the Boombringer

Resources:
    Resources:
    He's an old general of the Empire and he's used to giving orders. Take no offense

15. Svetli

Svetli

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    But I am Svetli, so heed my call! :alol:

16. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This does not qualify as Altered Melee. Please also remove the Terrain/Template tag. It's just a melee map with some custom content which does not change the original gameplay.

Although this is an improvement, creeps are still not mirrored, they mostly block access and trees are still scarce especially in the main bases. They should be placed close together to avoid small units getting through. Maybe you could increase the size of the map if you want to keep a bald beach. If not, place more trees on it, maybe even make land reaching out of the map borders so there would be more space for trees or instead of a beach make a swamp there and place trees in shallow water if you want to keep the water on the margins of the map.

Awaiting Update.

17. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    A proper credits list must be written. The View In Resources option is only to help you.

If you don't want to mirror the neutral hostile camps at all, then at least try to make them and their counterparts as balanced as possible. For instance, there are two units with chaos attack type (turtles) guarding the eastern laboratory while on the other side, there is only one (lobster). The same with Makrura in the southeast and the Murloc group with no chaos attack type unit in the northeast. The crabs guarding the northeastern tavern are far less weaker than the sea giants near the other tavern. Same with the mer camp guardians. Some murloc camps are asymmetrically placed as those near huts in the mid east and those in the southwest.
    It's good that you've cleared the roads however some camps on both sides of the road in the mid south are too close to each other.
    Trees are still distanced. They should be close together.

Awaiting Update.

18. Deadly Nightshade

Deadly Nightshade

Resources:
    Resources:
    Woot! Woot!
    A golden map worth a try and play. :)

@Alxen345
    I agree with you. @Svetli has got offended by @Shar Hundred, I think he must tone down.

@Shar Hundred
    Just because you made a very difficult unfinishable campaign you'd do harsh comment like that. No need to be mean tho :)

Anyways, this map look promisingly nice. Lemme see it more inside. Best wishes!

19. Svetli

Svetli

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources: