• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

🎨Texturing Contest #31 - Repurposing (Custom-Made Model)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
hive-logo-small-remoosed-png.373032

texturing-png.373691

contest-png.373719

png.373678
3-png.373675
1-png.373674

texturecontest31-png.432722

It's time to dig through Hive's model database and dust off some oldie but goldie models! Contestants must retexture a completely custom made model (including the texture) found in Hive's Classic Model Database. There is no restrictive theme otherwise. Let your imagination set the limits.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Submissions must follow the contest theme.
  • Submissions may not be started / made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Teamwork is not allowed (physically working on someone else's entry).
    • Giving feedback isn't considered teamwork and is always welcome. However, if you feel someone is abusing it, you may appeal to the appointed moderator.
  • Post a Works-In-Progress (pictures or videos) in the contest thread during the contest process. It must be clear that you are working on the submission.
  • The submission must be posted in the Skins section, before the contest ends.
    • The resource description must make it clear that it's a submission for this contest by stating: "Entry for Hive's Texturing Contest #31"
  • Post your final entry in the contest thread before contest is over. The post should be a little presentation, having your submission attached.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Submission must follow the Skin Submission Rules.
  • The skinned model must be a custom-made model found in Hive's resource database. SD meaning no .ORM textures or otherwise made for the HD Reforged graphics.
  • The chosen model must be a unit with animations i.e. no doodads etc.
  • The chosen model must also have an existing custom-made texture, i.e. no in-game textures. However, if the custom-made model uses very small parts of in-game assets but is otherwise almost 100% custom-made, it may be accepted.
  • Model edits are not allowed.
  • Textures mustn't be larger than 512 pixels in any dimension when submitted as final entry, though you may work in 1024 (or higher), but they must be resized down to 512, preferable 256 on equal dimension textures when submitted.
Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 750 experience points
  • 2nd place: 600 experience points
  • 3rd place: 450 experience points
  • Entry: 150 experience points
  • Judge: 25 experience points per entrant
The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

• If no judges are found (at least two is required) before the deadline, the winners will be decided by the votes of a public poll.
  • Want to be a judge? Read this.

other_entries-png.311509

(Updated May 29, 2023)

ContestantWIPEntry

Footman16

WIP 1 | WIP 2 | WIP 3 | WIP 4 | WIP 5

Murlocologist

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Shido

WIP 1 | WIP 2

PrinceYaser

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Arowanna

WIP 1 | WIP 2

~Nightmare

WIP 1 | WIP 2 | WIP 3 | WIP 4

Achille

@Vinz WIP 1 | WIP 2

A.R.

WIP 1 | WIP 2

other_contest_judging-png.311506

ShadingDoes the unit fit into the WCIII lighting environment? Is the source of light consistent? Does the unit have a realistic 3D shape enhanced by the shading? Is each individual part shaded according to the material?/point value

Concept
Does the design of the unit suit the model it is wrapped on? Has the author come up with creative ways to change parts of the model into something new? Does the unit fit into the style of WCIII?/point value

Details
Does the unit appear blurry and bland in-game? Are the details appropriate and realistically placed? Are the materials in use easily recognized?/point value
/total value

FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on May 1, 2023 and conclude on May 29, 2023 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: @Archian

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Last edited:
Level 50
  • If no judges are found (at least two is required) before the deadline, the winners will be decided by the votes of a public poll.
I may be interested in making an entry if I find time, but this part makes me hesitant to join. I think it’s time for contests to start being decided by polls only. Main reason is not because it is difficult finding judges, the reason is that they slow down contest and take too much time to write reviews. If I’m to invest my time into making an entry in limited timeframe, I expect those who accepted judge role to do their part and deliver reviews in limited timeframe as well. But this wasn’t the case on too many occasions. Make poll votes revealed only after poll finishes to avoid bandwagoning and it will be a better mechanism to determine winners than waiting months for reviews to be written.
For a unit that uses multiple textures, should they all be combined or does every single individual texture need to be edited and submitted? For example a custom model that uses the Naga Sea Witch, Spell Breaker and Priest textures.
I think contest should be limited to only models that use custom textures already. Those that have in-game stuff would either need model editing (not a good idea as it also means uv wrap manipulation etc) or you’d need to make separate textures, but they won’t work in website viewer and it would be kind of pointless/ not economic to have multiple 256x256 textures with just few details drawn on each of them.

I think I agree with Murloc regarding models that use custom textures already. That also fits the theme of the contest by choosing a completely custom made model with no ingame assets.

But let me hear some more opinions on this :)
If someone had an easily compilated list of all the custom models that use a custom texture that would be helpful, right now I'm furiously scanning through the models section and HerrDave's seem to be the best bet lol.

Level 31
I may be interested in making an entry if I find time, but this part makes me hesitant to join. I think it’s time for contests to start being decided by polls only. Main reason is not because it is difficult finding judges, the reason is that they slow down contest and take too much time to write reviews. If I’m to invest my time into making an entry in limited timeframe, I expect those who accepted judge role to do their part and deliver reviews in limited timeframe as well. But this wasn’t the case on too many occasions. Make poll votes revealed only after poll finishes to avoid bandwagoning and it will be a better mechanism to determine winners than waiting months for reviews to be written.

I think contest should be limited to only models that use custom textures already. Those that have in-game stuff would either need model editing (not a good idea as it also means uv wrap manipulation etc) or you’d need to make separate textures, but they won’t work in website viewer and it would be kind of pointless/ not economic to have multiple 256x256 textures with just few details drawn on each of them.
Except I'm right here. Hey @Archian, I play a role of reviving it then might as well be the Juggs. Eh Eh EHHH :D. Maybe I will get my favorite goblin to do the judge too.
Edit: I agree the choice of model must not have in-game asset (special effect don't count), you don't want to deal with texturing two freaking pieces right?

Last edited:
I do prefer the opinion of an experienced artist's judgement more than a poll, it just seems more fair. But the judges and delivery issues have always been on my mind. The results of most of the contests I've participated had been delivered so late I almost forgot there ever was such contest. I would second Murloc's word and request to find reliable judges, please. Or determine the results based on a poll anyway.

I will participate, by the way.

Level 31
Now if we are not going to use Judge then I would came in swept you giants in full confident :xxd: .

Why I dare to be a judge? As a Tom who watch the Skin Section 20+ times, I have knowledges strong enough to crtique the standard and actually put consideration for each resource, hence I usually talk about it all the time.

Different artstyle should not scare you as a texturer because everyone has their own taste. I will care what you are bringing at the table and inspect the heck out of it. For the Custom Model All-in theme, go wild with your imagination because you don't want to see me in my final form. Perhap keep me in the chair, Director. :xxd:

It is times for you to give those models a new coat or at least a new wardrobe.

Btw, Classic (re-mastered) model should not count since they are still classic model using classic texture already existed. Sorry Hojo.

Edit: I calm down the hype for a moment and lemme set you a deal here, I will make a skin for this theme too but not reveal it if the last day we are not getting a 2nd judge. If I stay a Judge at the end, the skin will still release but not counting as a contest entries. The point of my deal is whether you want the poll decide the winner or ME decide the winner.

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Except I'm right here. Hey @Archian, I play a role of reviving it then might as well be the Juggs. Eh Eh EHHH :D. Maybe I will get my favorite goblin to do the judge too.
Edit: I agree the choice of model must not have in-game asset (special effect don't count), you don't want to deal with texturing two freaking pieces right?
I’d rather have you join it ;)

Alright, the chosen model must be 100% custom-made i.e. both model and texture. Very minor in-game textures and/or model parts can be accepted. If in doubt please ask in this thread.
Ok just to be safe is this model/texture acceptable? FelLord

huh, well that's interesting.. i got some models that use custom texture. if anyone wants a gander
Oooh exciting, I completely forgot about your work! Shame I've already picked one :/ hopefully someone else does.

Alright then that is my chosen model, what I'll be turning it into I wish to keep secret for now :)

Also on the point of textures, I have no issues re-wrapping models so they only use the one but it can be finnicky and does require modelling. Which makes me realise by doing it for my Admiral's Elite Guard and Forsaken Apothecary models I have created two more models that can be used for this contest lol.

Also the 22nd of May seems quite soon personally for me who only usually has free time at the weekends.

I thiunk that is most of everyone mind, depend if you can get as close as deadline or not. If we gotta decide the winner by vote then no extension time should be provided.
Yeah fair enough, honestly I'm not bothered about the egality of people getting more time than other's on their submissions as there's only so much you can do to a skin and it gets finished however long it takes to get finished. It's not like other contests where more time gives other contestants an advantage imho.

Also I was tempted to go left field and re-texture HerrDave's Dwarven doodads, since there's nothing specifying it needs to be a unit or hero.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Well, here are some models for inspiration:

Let's see some WIPS!

@Vinz Are you in? ;)

Moy

Moy

Level 49
Really wanted to join. However, I no longer work with the tools that I use back then like Photoshop and such as I am no longer in the same field. It's been 3 years. But I may consider, if I find the convenience of time as I no longer work from home. But who knows? I will keep an eye on this though. Missed all of you guys!

Really wanted to join. However, I no longer work with the tools that I use back then like Photoshop and such as I am no longer in the same field. It's been 3 years. But I may consider, if I find the convenience of time as I no longer work from home. But who knows? I will keep an eye on this though. Missed all of you guys!
There's always GIMP which is free :D

EDIT: First WiP, decided to try something different to my usual technique rather than going bit by bit, I'm going to get all the base colours down and then do the skin in it's entirety at once rather than going bit by bit to ensure more consistency in the colouring. We'll see how it works out, I'll probably still do unique sections all at once but for large parts of armour I'll work my way up rather than splitting it up.

1683207342052.png
1683207364178.png

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
@Footman16 Be aware that's an edited in-game model and not a completely 100% custom-made. However, maybe the 100% custom made rule is too strict?

Dude! Good to see you here :D I really hope you find the time! <3

@PrinceYaser @Arowanna @Murlocologist @Shido What's up guys! Have you found the model you wish retextue? See this post for inspiration: Texturing Contest #31 - Repurposing (Custom-Made Model)

Here's some more for inspiration:

Last edited:
@Footman16 Be aware that's an edited in-game model and not a completely 100% custom-made. However, maybe the 100% custom made rule is too strict?
ahhh schucks didnt even notice.
It doesnt say that in the rules from anywhere I can see that it needs to be a 100% custom made model unless I'm blind lol. Ah I see I got confused cos it's in the bit talking about the skin needing to be custom not the bullet point before about the model.
I honestly thought this model was more custom than it was due to the texture and wrap.

If I need to choose a different model I will but I'd rather not tbh.

Last edited:
Level 31
I will say that would be too strict to even consider 100% custom made, but I will say that your chosen model should be something at least Recommended Rating because it would be dangerous to even work with scraps.

Remember people, if a hydralisk can beat a demon supermodel then it's possible for footman to beat us in voting.

Let me do Archie work and clear out the model condition:
  1. Your model should have at least 1 custom texture.
  2. 100% freehand, no recolor.
  3. Must not be a recent made resource, all model created before this contest open are allowed.
  4. Minor ingame texture allowed but must not take more than 10%. You are not allowed to change ingame texture.
  5. No Model Edit.
  6. Optimized Classic model are not allowed. (Conflict with 4th)
Am I got it @Archian ?

Now given than Footman already share his WIP. I will have a little bit of leak for you, my audience.
In respect for people prefer spoiler free; the one I give you will not count as WIP1. Please take account of that too.
I will also not going to leak what model I was working on.

oDsAqWU.png

Now what I show you is simply a practice sheet that what approach I will give you that impression of the texture. It's not perfect because duh, I work in Paint.net. I am going with the sun theme on a model that was hinted in the 2nd row of image.

More hint will be given out and if you got it right, good on you.

Now what I show you is simply a practice sheet that what approach I will give you that impression of the texture. It's not perfect because duh, I work in Paint.net.
Please for the love of god Shido use GIMP at the least, it's free lol! Not paint, anything but paint :p

EDIT: Although the fact you use paint I think is incredible considering the quality you produce :)

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
  1. Your model should have at least 1 custom texture.
  2. 100% freehand, no recolor.
  3. Must not be a recent made resource, all model created before this contest open are allowed.
  4. Minor ingame texture allowed but must not take more than 10%. You are not allowed to change ingame texture.
  5. No Model Edit.
  6. Optimized Classic model are not allowed. (Conflict with 4th)
1. Your model must have a custom-made texture wrap.
2. Selected model (with texture) must be 100% custom-made.
3. Model must be a unit model i.e. no doodads or other models with no animations.
4. Minor ingame textures are allowed, but must not exceed 5%.
5. No model edits of in-game models are allowed (See 2nd)

Let's see some WIPs!

1. Your model must have a custom-made texture wrap.
2. Selected model (with texture) must be 100% custom-made.
3. Model must be a unit model i.e. no doodads or other models with no animations.
4. Minor ingame textures are allowed, but must not exceed 5%.
5. No model edits of in-game models are allowed (See 2nd)

Let's see some WIPs!
... so I'm guessing I need to pick a new model?

kocoum-scream.gif

Level 50
I’m actually very interested in this contest and I think it’s an awesome idea. If I do enter would Paladin (Sword) by Murlocologist qualify as a resource I could create a texture for? Would love to take a stab at making a ‘ebon blade death Knight’ type reskin.
Some time ago I also had an idea of creating death knight version of this model, I drew only the face however and never finished the texture.
dk.png

Level 15
Some time ago I also had an idea of creating death knight version of this model, I drew only the face however and never finished the texture.
View attachment 433014
That face looks absolutely awesome! If I do participate I’m taking heavy inspiration from what you did with those eyes, I was unsure how I’d implement them and was afraid I’d settle for tealish globes. I’m also always so impressed with how well you can draw hair textures, on models or icons. Any time I do it, it sorta turns out like a… angry pasta monster.

Psst, pick the dragoon :b or the nether drake.. or the mastermind..
joking aside, have a good one
I went with my second choice of idea which I'd found before looking at your stuff :p didn't want to spend any more time trying to come with another idea to implement since I already had this one planned out.

I am however going to try and hide what I'm turning it into and what the model is for as long as I can :p so here's some WiPs of parts I've done, again I'm going to try and do every bit at once and get all the base colours down first rather than my old style:

1683321038008.png
1683321055087.png

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Last edited:
Here's WiP #2 I'm going to try post as many WiPs as possible for this contest to chart the progress. Not finished putting the base colours down, still got the head, shield and sword to do but you guys can probably guess what I'm trying to turn them into. It's taking me some time to make sure all the bits of the wrap line up correctly and I've still got some bits to clean up like the shoulders.

1683381449923.png

EDIT: WiP #3, decided to try out my metal texturing again on two parts, see how it would look. I think it looks alright but I might need to go back to them once I've done the main parts of armour.

1683389200494.png

Last edited:
Level 15
Here's WiP #2 I'm going to try post as many WiPs as possible for this contest to chart the progress. Not finished putting the base colours down, still got the head, shield and sword to do but you guys can probably guess what I'm trying to turn them into. It's taking me some time to make sure all the bits of the wrap line up correctly and I've still got some bits to clean up like the shoulders.

View attachment 433092

EDIT: WiP #3, decided to try out my metal texturing again on two parts, see how it would look. I think it looks alright but I might need to go back to them once I've done the main parts of armour.

View attachment 433095
Loving the concept, I also just realized which model you’re reskinning and it makes me so happy lol. I was considering that one too at one point but I was suffering from a lack of imagination unlike yourself. I get the feeling I’m gonna use the result of your talent in my map at the end of this contest too.

Status
Not open for further replies.