• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

🎨Texturing Contest #31 - Repurposing (Custom-Made Model)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moy

Moy

Level 49
Here's WiP #2 I'm going to try post as many WiPs as possible for this contest to chart the progress. Not finished putting the base colours down, still got the head, shield and sword to do but you guys can probably guess what I'm trying to turn them into. It's taking me some time to make sure all the bits of the wrap line up correctly and I've still got some bits to clean up like the shoulders.

View attachment 433092

EDIT: WiP #3, decided to try out my metal texturing again on two parts, see how it would look. I think it looks alright but I might need to go back to them once I've done the main parts of armour.

View attachment 433095
Want to see how this one turns out into.

On the other hand, I am still installing the tools that I'm using back then. And as expected, I do not know how to start as I forgot all the methods that I do. lol

I feel like I'm a newbie, haven't touched photoshop since I quit my job as a web dev/designer lmao. Wish me luck

Level 31
Personally, I have Paint.net and Magos open when working with them.

I get the familar of not in a field for a while and suddenly you back to square one which is understandable. Let's admit it, aside Footman and the recently out of retirement Doc, I'm probably the consistent one so a bit advantage on my hand but i'm not willingly to look low.

As a matter of fact, I'm excited to compete with ~Nightmare, PrinceYaser and possibly Arowanna. The lost titans in texturing world that break out their retirement to compete with modern day ameteur like me. :xxd:

I'm more exciting to beat them with my own ability than actually winning it by a landsilde. Gotta love arrogance become something to lay back upon.

P.s: Btw uncle grey man, Vinny is (possibly or at least 60%) joining with us after looking over the theme.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
It's really heart warming to see some old legends returning for this one :)

Don't forget to share your creative process! However, remembering how to skin is a part of that process I suppose :D

Maybe we should include an updated guide for future contests, so beginners have a clue what to do. And old timers as well ;)

Moy

Moy

Level 49
I got all the tools I need. Now, it's time to do some progress for today. Know the model? XD

1683556053743.png

Sorry I have to ask: Is that a 100% custom-made (including texture) model you’re retexturing there?
no-no-no-wait-wait-wait.gif

Really cool choice of model, did you have it mind from the start or did you have to go hunting?
Some progress, I actually don't know where I'm heading.

View attachment 433689
Not all who wander are lost, it's already looking really good!

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Thanks. I did have this in mind along with the Lindormr Dragon. I went with the one that allows TC.
Would have loved to see your take on olofmoleman's Lindormr Dragon texture, though :O It was the "maskot" for this contest. Still, that tank texture looks smooth so far :) Keep up the good work!

Anyway, this contest is shaping up! Some old legends coming back to retexture some old legendary models. This is quite a sight to behold!

Updated first post!

@Shido @Footman16 @Arowanna @Murlocologist @PrinceYaser @Achille Hows the creative process going guys? Got any WIP to show?
Nope, haven't had a chance to do any more work on it since last weekend, hopefully I'll have time this weekend but I'm not sure :/ the deadline of the 22nd worried me when the contest was first posted but I'll do my best to have it finished in time. Mondays to Fridays aren't very convenient for me to do Warcraft stuff.

Level 31
Perhaps we can have a small extension to Monday on the 29th so @Footman16 and the others can have another weekend?
I'm not convinced, if we determinate by public vote then extension feel unfair, especially this is just texture and not model.
You tell me you took like one month for a single texture, yeah sign me up about that.

Given how Footman got eredong'd over and over by Archie leading him back to square one all the time.
Let's just see if extension is necessary, If Arowanna even dip his hand to beat out the other big 2 right there and Vinz's "cannon".

Btw, don't worry about me, I never here to win in the first place anyway.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced, if we determinate by public vote then extension feel unfair, especially this is just texture and not model.
You tell me you took like one month for a single texture, yeah sign me up about that.

Given how Footman got eredong'd over and over by Archie leading him back to square one all the time.
Let's just see if extension is necessary, If Arowanna even dip his hand to beat out the other big 2 right there and Vinz's "cannon".

Btw, don't worry about me, I never here to win in the first place anyway.
Starting over was merely a setback! ;)

I hope I'll be able to get it done by the 22nd, I'll maybe say a couple of days before if I am unable :) although I am aiming for the 22nd. Part of me is wondering if I would've been faster texturing it my old way.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
WiP #3

1683928193172.png

This bit was good to do to test out the shades and colours for the gold trims which take up a lot of the skin. I think it looks good. I'm also wanting to go all out in terms of tiny details like bronzing, slight rusting at some bits, dark cracks/cuts and light scratches. I also want a softer almost porcelain look for the blue bits which I'm hoping will look good with the TC.

WiP #4
1683930433568.png

Even more gold trim! Was wanting to wait til I had the blue and metal bit done too to show it all off but I don't think I have more time tonight to work on it. Pretty satisfied though with how the trim is turning out. Don't think I've ever used as many shades, browns, beiges, pale yellows, pale oranges and near whites all to get it looking perfect!

That said the head, helmet, shield and sword I've not even started on but I think I want to get the whole body done first before I look at them. I'm especially concerned about the face, don't know how well it's going to look and whether to try a radically different style than the original texture and how well that will fit.

WiP #5
1683978693173.png

Gold trimming is now all done, got the blue part of the shoulders to do and then the blue tabard that you can see at his stomach area. The padding and chainmail sections will be probably be done after that and I'm not looking forward to it. Chainmail takes forever to do and it takes up large sections of the texture even though it's not very prominent on the model.
I'll probably re-do the metal armour in between the chest plates as I'm not happy with them. I'm hoping the helmet, face, shield and sword won't take too long to finish.

WiP #6
1684018262864.png

The tabard is now done and I'm pretty happy with how it looks, I think it looks more like cloth compared to the metal/porcelein/cermaic blue armour segments, we've also got the belt with two different colours of leather for the main bit and the trim. We also have the first bit of the padding finished. You might notice that some of what I call macro shading is missing but I plan to go back over with the burn tool once the whole texture is finished to add this larger areas of shadow and highlighting. We also have a test for a symbol on the belt buckle, it doesn't look the worst but I'm not sure how happy I am about it, the number of pixels there is limited so detail is hard. I might go back and trace over the emblem later to make it look better.

Last edited:
why is this gold/blue/iron mix so arthas-like? :huh:
I hadn't thought about that actually. When I post the reference image, it'll probably all make sense :p Although it'll probably be fairly obvious both the model choice and what I'm doing with it before the final reveal/post :)

Level 31
hey, im about making a custom skin for Demon Lord by Explobomb, but i cant find the texture from "units\other\diablocar\diablocar.blp" can some one give me the texture?
Sorry lad, this one is using doom guard in game texture, which is a disqualifier.
The path you mention is from Diablocar model, which is hidden one but it's an existing ingame texture.

Sorry lad, this one is using doom guard in game texture, which is a disqualifier.
The path you mention is from Diablocar model, which is hidden one but it's an existing ingame texture.
owh i though the car racing is the custom one as well, thx for explaining
and, i got some question, if the model are custom but it using glowing effect/particle from in-game textures, may it be accepted?

Last edited:

Moy

Moy

Level 49
Here's an updated face. I am still not quite sure with the color scheme. Might change this green and gold color combo and go with a more darker variant. Tried adding a bit more details and preventing myself to overdo it as details in-game may not be noticeable and can make the model look like a blob. Let's see if I can finish this one as I have been busy this month. This may be my last WIP.
1684159207190.png

Here's an updated face. I am still not quite sure with the color scheme. Might change this green and gold color combo and go with a more darker variant. Tried adding a bit more details and preventing myself to overdo it as details in-game may not be noticeable and can make the model look like a blob. Let's see if I can finish this one as I have been busy this month. This may be my last WIP.
View attachment 434053
Yeah green is so passe :p go for a nice Lizardman blue! Just kidding, I think the green looks good with the gold and pale green parts.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
I think we're only allowed one variation. I think that may be unfair to the other contestants. Color variations may be added after the contest, I think. Can you confirm this? @Archian
Yes, that is correct. Only one variation is allowed. However, there is nothing that prevents you from creating more variations after the contest has ended and the results published.

Updated first post :)

Level 50
View attachment 434053
@Gluma right now:

Attachments

• chris-pratt-rubbing-hands.gif
    chris-pratt-rubbing-hands.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.