• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

🎨Texturing Contest #31 - Repurposing (Custom-Made Model)

Status
Not open for further replies.
WiP #7
1684446674493.png

So I've started on some of the "grey" metal bits and I'm actually really happy with how they're turning out, adding some subtle browns for dirt/rusting, scratches and deep greys for the shadowing. I've also been an idiot who thought adding chainmail would be good but forgot how long it takes to draw chainmail even though they take up large parts of the texture unwrap they're only visible on tiny bits of the model. The gloves have also been done. The three bits I still haven't touched are the shield, sword and face. Helmet I've done some bits of. So I should be on track to finish on time for the end of the contest.

Can't wait to see your finals, folks, let's go!

WiP #8
1684536971613.png

Ok so I've decided to give up on the mystery and just show the choice of model. As you can see it is the amazing Spartan Warrior model by Murlocologist and I am turning him into a Footman Warrior instead! I've now finished the chest plate and I'm actually happy with the middle section now that I see how it looks with the chest plates. There's still sections to do which might seem like like the shield but shouldn't actually be too bad. The arms as well are quite a small section. The chainmail which isn't even visible here takes up large parts of the unwrap but is only slightly visible on his neck from behind and on the back of his legs. All the straps also share the same texture.

WiP #9
1684625412107.png

Helmet, arms, buckle and cape clip are now all done, just the face, sword, shield, chest strap, cape and plume to do. The last 3 of those shouldn't take long but I'm just glad to have such a large amount of the texture done. Once it's all done I'll go back over adding more shadows and highlights to some parts. Overall I'm very happy with how it is turning out, the wrap isn't too bad especially when compared to a lot of the vanilla models but is tricky because of what I'm trying to do with it. Turning a semi-naked Spartan into a fully armoured Footman can have some difficulties. One of those is the shoulders which I think I've done as well as I could. I was tempted to make them chainmail rather than the blue and gold metal pauldron but decided I wanted to stick as close to the reference as I could which I will post with the final upload. Probably another couple of WiPs to go but should be easy enough to finish within the timeframe. Thanks again @Archian as I don't think I'd have managed to have this finished without the extension to the 29th.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
WiP #9
View attachment 434492
Helmet, arms, buckle and cape clip are now all done, just the face, sword, shield, chest strap, cape and plume to do. The last 3 of those shouldn't take long but I'm just glad to have such a large amount of the texture done. Once it's all done I'll go back over adding more shadows and highlights to some parts. Overall I'm very happy with how it is turning out, the wrap isn't too bad especially when compared to a lot of the vanilla models but is tricky because of what I'm trying to do with it. Turning a semi-naked Spartan into a fully armoured Footman can have some difficulties. One of those is the shoulders which I think I've done as well as I could. I was tempted to make them chainmail rather than the blue and gold metal pauldron but decided I wanted to stick as close to the reference as I could which I will post with the final upload. Probably another couple of WiPs to go but should be easy enough to finish within the timeframe. Thanks again @Archian as I don't think I'd have managed to have this finished without the extension to the 29th.
Looking really good there. I like the way you guys only show part of the texture for your WIPs and gradually show more. It adds some intriguing aspect of following your creative process.

Updated first post.

Also, please note that the submitted texture should be 512x512 until the end of the contest. Then contestants are allowed to upload a 1024x1024 version.

WiP #9
View attachment 434492
yeah this is still very arthas-ish xD but if he were of a more humble origin

Level 32
My entry will be release in the 28h of May.
What to expected?

- Fully detail WIP than just plain teaser, this might end up with a lot WIP-1x here.

- All the phase working through it and exploration of ideas.

- Animations, Gameplay footages and what coming out after the results.

- The resource itself will be released alongside the details reply.
1684749319659.png

Update: To make sure we ain't pulling rush stuff, the deadline has extended to 2 PM GMT.

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
I must express my appreciation of the entertainment value that accompanies these contests. It is an absolute delight to witness the unfolding of your creative process folks. Thank you for sharing your progres and taking us for a ride.

NOTICE - Only another week left folks!

@Achille @Arowanna @Murlocologist @Footman16 @Shido @PrinceYaser

Level 34
My entry will be release in the 28h of May.
What to expected?

- Fully detail WIP than just plain teaser, this might end up with a lot WIP-1x here.

- All the phase working through it and exploration of ideas.

- Animations, Gameplay footages and what coming out after the results.

- The resource itself will be released alongside the details reply.
View attachment 434616
Genesaur?

WiP #10
1685096359004.png

The sword is finished, I decided to try something a little different with it, to give it a smooth well crafted look. I went for red wrappings around the handle to split up the colours a little and a nice light gold for the crossguards so the weapon stands out a little against the rest of the model.
The strap on the chest piece is also done, but it's nothing special. For the shield based on my references I think I'm actually going to avoid the obvious choice of metal with gold trim and instead go for a wood base with metal trim and a blue, rough painted sigil on the top of it to make it look like he's painted his shield himself. Then the plume and cape will take 5 mins to just re-shade them using the airbrush, there's not much that can be done with them other than to get rid of their TC and draw something unique on them, but I don't really want to do that, I want to maintain the TC.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Glad to see your first WIP in this contest :) Updated the first post.
WiP #10
View attachment 434948

The sword is finished, I decided to try something a little different with it, to give it a smooth well crafted look. I went for red wrappings around the handle to split up the colours a little and a nice light gold for the crossguards so the weapon stands out a little against the rest of the model.
The strap on the chest piece is also done, but it's nothing special. For the shield based on my references I think I'm actually going to avoid the obvious choice of metal with gold trim and instead go for a wood base with metal trim and a blue, rough painted sigil on the top of it to make it look like he's painted his shield himself. Then the plume and cape will take 5 mins to just re-shade them using the airbrush, there's not much that can be done with them other than to get rid of their TC and draw something unique on them, but I don't really want to do that, I want to maintain the TC.
May I suggest you increase the brightness of the highlights on the armor a bit :)

Only 3 days left @Footman16 @Murlocologist @Shido @PrinceYaser

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Uhh, that's a sick retexture dude. This is gonna be a stiff competition. Good luck indeed!
Wow! Hey indeed. Another legend returns! I gotta say, I did not see this coming. It's a pleasure seeing you again! And returning for a texturing contest no less. What a turn out :O
My entry:
Loving the armor design :D

Updated first post!

@Footman16 @Shido @A.R. Only 2 days remaining!

And we are done! Footman Warrior

I present to you Footman16's Footman Warrior:
260619-db1b2aa7eafd0e6c26f0006eae2b741f.png

This is my attempt to turn Murlocologist's amazing Spartan Warrior into a Footman using the Reforged Footman and Footman from Thrall's Vision as a reference.

Best of luck to all the other entrants and I am just glad that I have finally gotten this finished as I don't think I've ever spent as much time on a texture as I have on this one which I hope will be apparent.

This contest has brought together a wide range of styles and ideas and I'm excited to see how it all pans out!

Level 32

Introduction

Idea

Tools

Concepting

Texturing

Finalized & Bonus

1685372430738-png.435651
My, My. Where do we started?
You know, Archie may brought it back but I still have some credit (yes, footman as well) for being shovels for the grey man to dig, not that we are going to discredit our dear Archian.

I didn't expect like we get like legends like ~Nightmare and A.R return with participation of recurring contestant like Yaser, Doc and A.R come back from the dead.
And then we have new one just step in but secretly good at it like Footman and Vinz, launching his debut in skin section with Blitzworgen. They thought someone cannot pull Shido's Miracle out of nowhere, amirite?

Mostly just word of conviction and i'm fully understand with hard times and deadlines. It's unfortunate that we ain't get Mr.Goblin and Arowanna returning but they will watching us shine in our own way.

Now, without delays. Lemme introduce myself to you and whoever watching this reply.
I'm Tom Shido and this is The Sunweaver - Behind The Scene. Proceed to the next tab.

1685372758511-png.435664
For #31 Texturing Contest, it's a back to zero theme which everyone can go crazy with what they want. If you wish that, we might as well go crazy like a moron for a theme.
Or you are just me with playing risk and rolling dice.

Lots of consideration with model choice which including:

And so many more, the upper 3 was the closest one. Until I realize a term that I fully aware: "It ain't broke, don't fix it."
Sometimes you think these base skin look good already, if you believe you can't out-beat their designs, you better off having a fight an equal fish than the whole whale.
This is why you will never get a skin from Deathwing, don't try to fix it.
188743-249534991bf7c5bdd44d8416d6a1554a.gif
Ultimately, I went for the Explobomb's Genesaur because I need more dad vibe in life and in any future map using him in general.
Why do I need dad vibe in the first place? I have a dead old man in my life but it doesn't mean I be devoid of it. Beside, I have lots of Dads figure that I know in Hive anyway hence this skin is like a love letter to them.

Was that simple? Yes. You can move to the next tab now.

1685373508691-png.435676
Now we have a Genesaur, let's get our tools to make them. You'll be needing:
  1. A painting program. I use Paint.net and all of concepts you see here are all made in this.
  2. Good ol Magos Model Editor with Warcraft MPQs.
Hive already have tutorials of getting one, I'm a cave man with a laptop made out of rock so I use this. Not guaranteed but at least you will know where you at.
That's all you need, not even the warcraft itself because someone can help you with ingame screenshots (which btw, most contestants i see don't even show you legit screenshots, all display no honesty lol).

Before you even bother think any concepts, you should start look at the model itself. Look at the texture see what applying to what and where the teamcolor located?
Now, you have been provided a mind and a hand to do. Next Tab.

1685373283471-png.435675
Lemme get this straight that you don't have to do what i'm doing. I just do for show but if your idea stuck then move back is fine.
After looking the model, I decide to be a sloth bright minded and an idiot at the same time.

By a c t u a l l y drawing Concept Art.

Does this hint Archie that he can revive Concept Art Contest in the future? I dunno.

Before drawing, I have to think what theme am I going, Heavy Armored, Ice, Eldritch Horror? Sound fit for our genesaur right? Yeah, maybe. But ultimately that's too distracting with these colour choice and how model work.

I decide that we are going to the SUN, you probably thinking like: "Shido, you already have 2 fire skins." I mean yeah but fire is pretty secondary for sunlight afterall. After deciding the theme, I look back the model again and determinate what do I see first. In my case, those leaves and tusks are usually what i see primary and the bodypart is blended.

I spend probably like 2 3 days concepting what fit and what not:
u8d8gwu.png
jBLfivn.png
n9m42b5.png

s3qzPxD.png
GTj04Dp.png
Cj2Yc8u.png
i2HQTFp.png

The fifth one didn't apply anything but useful for color choice.
15Aah4k.png
q3c7VOA.png
w7vahln.png

Once I finalized a concept, this is where the work kick in. Move the next Tab.

1685373664603-png.435677
Yes, Texturing part is scary and make you doubt the challenge ahead. Relax, deep breath and start molding your progress.
It start out ugly as usual but slowly you built the momentum and you can continue building like the first time you see it complete, it won't feel complete next time you see it again.
You keep having that feeling until you can't go further than your very own limit, even then you can always do more than what right in front you.
inZVom5.gif
When you texturing, you may focus on 2 perspectives view:
View attachment 435582
Overdo one of them isn't too bad it lead what we call "Over-Detailing". Remember your model is far away from a camera unless you plan to use them zoom in. What detail pop to you should stay and what not would rather leave off or avoid being the distraction.

Also the camera view is where all lighting should be direct, unless you are using 2d lighting on the texture itself, every texture should always face it lighting above the base camera view. So don't put lighting below the model and make sure add shadow to make it look real.
Shading should be depending on your artstyle approach, some people has different taste so embrace it but make sure it look like it want to be in warcraft environment.

In my case, I have a lot of struggle as you see I have to get this, remove that mindset but the final product look similar to the final concept because model wrap screw me in my bottom. Colors have to be turn down saturation to let other part shine and I have my inner child put hype with 2d fire effect to replace the leaves in Genesaur model, some parts missing from the original because themes and executions reasoning.

For example: One of pictures in the GIF preview above, there was like a fire belt on the side but I remove it because it wouldn't make any sense even in fictionality. Genesaur originally has shoulder cap to compensate the lack of team color but decide never put in because it ruining the whole point of Genesaur. Also, that's armor niche abuse right there, everyone in this contest must be having quite a fetish with armors to make it like Knight In Shiny Armor scenario isn't it. Archie, note the next theme should be naturalist :xxd:.

So I embrace the dinosaur vibe that already in Genesaur and incorperate it alongside the solar theme, do you know the best part? Genesaur is still in this texture name, i mean you can tell it anyway because this is how I name other resource.

Time to move in the final tab.

1685373781428-png.435678
We have come to the end here, afterall you are not looking over me but other contestants as well. I can make the show all the time but you should not be bias on me. If you think I top them then it's up to you.

From a former demon turned lizard archer, a freaking demon accidentally drank all his red and become a satyr, a woofing mechanical machine that may or may not has a dog driving in, a purpleish assassin, a heavy duty armored night elf that even Elune question their fashion choice to a gladiator turned footman that got fired by Leonidas.

I simply brought a genesaur that is on fire but also go blue-da-be-dee da-ba-doo. What do you expect more from Tom freaking Shido?

That's right, an Animation.

XvEbgmC.png

Level 25
Loving the entries people, glad to see so many people around!

Did find some time to doodle last weekend, so here's a thing based on this:
1685387610412.png

Not going to delay the contest however, as I usually do. And seeing how the texture for this one is a collage of Blizzard/WC3 stuff (check the *.blp for the model if that doesn't make any sense I guess), it might not even be within the bounds of the rules.

Stay safe and good luck! And keep at it @A.R. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.