• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Creating A UV-Map of an Existing Wc3 File For Use in Skinning

Level

Difficulty-Low 2/10
Applicability-Moderately High 8/10
Application Heavy?- 8/10
Noob Friendly?- YES
Programs Used
Discription

The Images In this tutorial correspond to the text below them.
attachment.php

This tutorial will teach you how to make UV Maps from existing WC3 models for use in skinning, these UV maps are useful, because you can see the faces of the model you are working on and how the model wraps. Also it prevents blizzard skins from interfering with your creative process. The end result is pictured above.
Easy as...
Step 1: Choosing and Exporting a Model

This Part of the tutorial uses: Wc3 Viewer

attachment.php

To start things up you will want to fire up Wc3 Viewer and choose a model that you wish to skin by selecting it on the tree view (blue arrow) of Wc3 Viewer. If this is your first time using Wc3 Viewer then you will need to select an MPQ from your wc3 directory by using the MPQ finder (red arrow); RoC files are in:War3.mpq TFT files are in:War3x.mpq.
attachment.php

Once you have selected a model go ahead and click the export mpq button in Wc3 Viewer (red arrow) to export the model to an easily retrievable place (I use my desktop). For the purposes of this tutorial I will be using the Felgaurd model, but you can use any model you like. Once you have completed exporting the model you can close Wc3 Viewer
Step 2: Converting Your .mdx Export

This Part of the tutorial uses Biturn

attachment.php

Now that you have exported your model you should have a .mdx file in the location that you saved it. This file should be named corresponding to your model(ex: felgaurd.mdx). Keeping that in mind, open Biturn, and find your file, in its browser. It will be highlighted in purple (red arrow). After selecting it you are going to want to save it as a 3ds file in the file type dropdown menu (blue arrow). After doing this click [Convert!] (fuchsia arrow (lol!)). Your file should now be saved in the same folder as you saved the .mdx file. After verifying that your .3ds file is there, close biturn.
Step 3: Creating Your Texture Map

This part of the tutorial uses LithUnwrap

attachment.php

Open LithUnwrap and click on the File Tab and then click the Model submenu and finally click open (sorry I count take a screeny) your completed selection path should be File>Model>Open. Select and open your .3ds file that was created in step 2. Your file should look like the above screeny. Once your file is opened click the materials tab (red arrow) and then click modify. Find the only material on the list and select maps.
attachment.php

On the maps tab click on the dropdown menu titled "Map Type" and choose "none" (blue arrow). An error message will pop up... click ok (red arrow). The result should have changed the image from a funky rainbow to what appears to be blueprints. We are almost done. Now you are ready to save your finished UV-map click on the file tab an d then the UV Map sub menu, lastly click on save. Your completed path should look like File>UV Map>Save (sorry I counldn't take a screeny).
attachment.php

A dialog box will appear. Use the same options as the one in the screen shot the dimensions can be edited, if you change the .bmp dimensions use the following sizes 256x256 or 512x512. Save your UV Map and open up your image editing software... you are ready to skin.

Don't forget to thank me and comment on this tutorial if it helped you... Id like to know my time went to good use.

Attachments

• tut1.JPG
    tut1.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 6,230
  • tut2.JPG
    tut2.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 6,397
  • Tut4.JPG
    Tut4.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 5,912
  • tut0.JPG
    tut0.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 6,326
  • tut5.JPG
    tut5.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 5,789
  • tut6.JPG
    tut6.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 5,459
  • tut7.JPG
    tut7.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 5,125
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 3
Great tut

I got lost at some points, but with some basic knowledge from messing with wc3 stuff in the past i was able to find my way around. So i made it to the very end of the tut and you leave me hanging. I would love for you to add a bit more, like refer some img editing tools that work well, and a few steps as to how to get the finished result back to the game. I think i know how to do that, by back tracking, but it might end up bad. Thanks again for the great tut.

Level 1
Thanks!!! It is really nice to let the new know how to get startet! NOW I only have to lern how to make a good skin!