• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

War3 Model Editor

This bundle is marked as director's cut. It exceeds all expectations and excels in every regard.
//MOD EDIT// - PLEASE CHECK "UPDATE 2" below before posting if you have ISSUES USING MAGOS

This Model Editor is not made by me, but is made by Magos.

War3 Model Editor is as the name suggests a Model Viewer and a Model Editor dedicated to Warcraft 3. It supports both loading and saving of .mdl and .mdx model formats which are used in Warcraft 3. It also supports .bmp, .tga, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .pcx and .blp texture formats.

There is a built-in MPQ Browser that allows you to browse any MPQ archive, which also includes Warcraft 3 map files (.w3m and .w3x). The MPQ Browser has been optimized for speed and is very fast to load and use. The Browser is customizable so you can add/remove your own icons and filters.

Features

* Model Viewer
* Model Editor
* Geoset Importing/Exporting
* Can save/load the model formats *.mdl and *.mdx
* Can save/load the texture formats .bmp, .tga, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .pcx and .blp
* Can import other model formats (importers stored in DLLs)
* Ability to convert between the model formats
* Ability to convert between the texture formats
* MPQ Browser (very fast loading)
* Support for custom listfiles
* Support for custom MPQ filters & icons

Extras

* Loading Screen Creator
* A tool to create colored text for Warcraft 3

Supported Importers

* md2 (Quake 2)
* ms3d (Milkshape)

UPDATE 1 //by Rui​

Hey people, it's Rui. I have updated the tool to v1.07 and added some keywords for searching. Enjoy!

UPDATE 2 //by Khyrberos​

In recent years, both with modern OSes & with Reforged, W3ME might require a few adjustments to work properly.

(Made redundant by update 3)
One common issue over the years was missing DLLs; as described in this post by Hero_Lief and this message by Pyf, the DirectX Installer can be downloaded here. (Alternatively, as Hermit describes here, you can Google & download the specific file 'd3dx_9.dll' needed by W3ME.)

(Doesn't apply to beta v1.08)
A new issue with 1.30+ is its use of the CASC data system, replacing the old MPQ system. As described by Hermit in this post, you will need to have/find a copy of the old MPQs & put them where War3 Model Editor can find them in order for it to work properly. It appears 1.28 files work the best in v1.07

UPDATE 3 //by BogdanW3​

The v1.07 zip has been repacked to include the dll needed to make it run without having to install the DirectX runtime, thank you to @Dr Super Good for noting that that's the proper way to do things now with deprecation of Direct3D9 taking place.

You can now also download a new version, v1.08 beta, which was updated by me (@BogdanW3) and has some nice new, albeit still to be thoroughly tested, features:

* Edit texture paths directly from the textures window (no need for MDL for this)
* Support for v1000 (1.32) and v1100 (1.33, only loading for now) SD MDX models
* DDS texture support
* Hierarchical loading of textures (a texture referenced as tga in a model will no longer fail to load if the file is for example blp)
* Loading assets from CASC (no CASC browser at this time due to library limitations)
* 24 team colours
* Replaceable IDs 36 and 37, as well as a few more event objects are added from entries in the game data (thank you @Hermit)
* And more!

Feel free to contact me if there's any bugs or regressions you wish to report. MagosX has given me permission to post it, so I would like to thank him for that as well as making a great model editor with a very readable codebase!
This version currently works best with 1.29 MPQs or 1.31+ CASC.
Requires the 64-bit Visual C++ 2015 runtime.

PS, applies to all versions of W3ME:​

To set up the War3 Model Editor to load data (be it MPQs, or CASC in v1.08) from a specific folder, you will want to set up the string Registry value InstallPath in the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III\ to point to the Warcraft 3 data folder you wish to use.
For a more step-by-step explanation, check this comment by StormKnight.

Keywords:
warcraft, 3, III, magos, w3me, editor, model, war3, wc3, mdx
Contents

War3 Model Editor v1.07 (Binary)

War3 Model Editor v1.08 (64-bit, beta) (Binary)

Reviews
PurplePoot: Approved for extreme usefulness, whether as a mapper or a modeler.

M

PurplePoot: Approved for extreme usefulness, whether as a mapper or a modeler.

Best Program Ever!
---------------------------
Different Uses: 9/10
Errors Occured: 1 because my computer wasn't good enough... But I solved that.
Viruses: 0
Successful Work: 10/10
----------------------------
Total: 49/50
----------------------------
It's the best program out there! Nothing better on the web!

Level 2
"This application has failed to start because d3d9.dll was not found. Re-installing may fix this problem." This is what happens when I try to run the program. Any suggestions on what's wrong? I've re-downloaded this 4 times now in hopes something changed, yet nothing has.

PLEASE P.M. me or post back to tell me what's wrong or if you can give me one that you have that works.

Level 4
I keep getting an error that says "Unable to retrieve Direct3D capibilities!" Please Help!

Never mind, a simple restart of my computer after installing the latest DirectX fixed the problem. But now, this may seem like a dumb question but where do you get the models?

Nevermind i figured it out. Now how do you edit things now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 1
Color
Example: Like goku i got his hair up but how u change it like change his hair to blond...

{EDIT}
This tool is very good 5/5 but i dont no how to change colors and stuff... not the team color like cange color parts ( cloths is brown and change it to orange....)

Level 1
it rox the only problem is that it cannot load the models i find on this site. sum1 have a solution?

Level 3
Can anyone help? When I open it, it's just a gray box.. anyone know why?

{EDIT}
Oh and mengsta, you change the color by editing the skins, which you have to do in a seperate program.

Level 1
um.... i actually dont have the real ver sion (got it from a computer progaming camp while i was there(its modified so u dont need a card key and the bad thing( :( ) u cant go online) and its is on there website)(((if anyone wants to get it for free well it wont happen becausse the site isnt up till the sessions this summer)))((((and im not to good at programming to do things like bypass codes or stuff like that))))(((((so it doesn't have a real card key))))) and it gives me this error "unable to open C:\...\...\...\War3ModelEditor\War3.mpq!"
(the periods are there cause id din't wnat to put the path in)(to lazy)
"Make sure War3 is installed and the regestry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III\InstallPath" exists!"

SO WHAT SHOULD I DO

I REALLY WANT THIS

(i wont be mad if u cant help me)
(sry this was demandin and long didn't mean to put it that way)

Level 12
About errors: Direct X has been updated 2 days ago, just so you know. You will need to download the newest version in order for the model editor to work. You can find this here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en&Hash=HyFSbEpvdxOD9vY9KqBfyRV2ZJ92kOIDRMPcuQUO8djEeiku6uot8a8ihJ1yhRAZNAE3gBnMxJplbn9mkK3GDQ%3d%3d

About the editor? Well, I'll rate and give a compliment once it opens. I'm downloading the newest Direct X software now. So far I only have the huge gray box that Cormag has.

Level 1
Where or how we can import my models in Warcraft III Reign of Chaos World editor ..
If you know where or how , please help me ..

{EDIT}
For do this programm you must thrice copy files that the error needs .
That means You should thrice copy of war3.mpq With these names +++
War3x.mpq
war3path.mpq
war3local.mpq

and after you do this ... you can see this programme .. after this i don't know ..
enjoy

Level 1
this is realy what i wanted... thnx

{EDIT}
will it work on a 16-bit or 24-bit computer?? or does it only work on a 32-bit??

Level 1
Okay, I have learned how to edit models. How can I use them in game? And for those who get a blank screen: click "windows" and then "MPQ Browser" then "file" and "war3.mpq" to get your hands on Warcraft 3 models.

Level 1
i have this message: "cannot create a direct3d device". what does this mean and what should i do? and if i will download it thrice does that mean i have to overwrite the other two??

Level 2
Hey, I need to open a footman model into here. How do I do that? Is there one magically present somewhere? Do I need to download one? Get a program?

{EDIT}
I found some weaponless model packs, including a footman, so never mind. =]

Level 3
:ctwist:Its is sirtanly amazing!...:ctwist:
:ctwist:but...:ctwist:
:ctwist:________________________________________________________________
:ctwist:Usfulness - 10/10
:ctwist:Sucess - 10/10
:ctwist:possobility- 9/10
:ctwist:Errors - 1 (I cant load w3x/w3m/w3l/bmp/tga )
:ctwist:Over all - 47/50
:ctwist:________________________________________________________________

Level 1
Some models are not openable, it shows "Unable to load textures\something.blp, file doesn't exist". Shall I find it that I can't open models where the textures need overwriting?

Level 1
ehh everyone all needs War3Patch.mpq if yall dont have it doesnt work someone sends the patch to me and my works now