• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cinematic Contest #3 - Sorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Hey guys, Damn. I have to drop out of this contest because im going out for vacation for 1 week. I won't be able to submit, But i might be able to monitor the contest. Damn, bounty, remove my name form the list. :(

Level 18
Nice cinematic. Since it's BETA, I assume the little bugs in there are still going to be fixed, so I'll won't comment that.

The story was good, matching the theme, but it still has very big holes in it. The question everyone will have: Why? Why did his house got burned down? Why did his family die? Where did they die? In the house, before that or after that? Why did the guy had to be punished, or wasn't he punished on purpose?

These are a lot of questions, and I think you should answer that in your cinematic. It makes people focus more on the cinematic then the questions they have with it.

But I'm not a bad news bringer, so I'll also say that you've made a fine selection of music. It fits a sad theme well and you made good use of that.

All with all, I think this cinematic has a good chance of a good ranking. Even though it's the first cinematic posted so far.

Reactions: Rui
Level 23
Bob, that was a pretty great cinematic:)
I can only agree with avator on the question why.

Nevertheless, I am glad I didn't join the contest. My plot would have been almost identical ;) And I didn't know yours back then. The main difference would be that mine was a sorrowing women losing her family in different situations, and then suiciding off a bridge.

Anyways, so far so good

Rui

Rui

Level 41
If anyone's planning to upload the map on the Map Section, please remember to mention in your description that it is a submission for the Cinematic Contest, else I might end up reviewing it sooner than I should.

I've got to express my appreciation for the help being provided to the contestants by other contestants. That is really friendly! :wink:

Level 12
Ok, I watched that cinematic, I just have feeling of deja vu, (yes, cult of the damned)

I dont think it should have answer why house or whatever happened. Thats not story about causes but about consequences. (just take for example the movie Cube, they didnt explain causes, only consequences)

And it would be total nonsence to make more complicated story when duration is so limited. (thats easy rule of writing, when text is short, you cannot and must not explain everything, if you write 500page book, then you can explain whatever you like)

But I found the story little bit cliche. (i dont know, wasnt it you who made that "requiem for a dream" cinematic?)

Level 24
Nice cinematic. Since it's BETA, I assume the little bugs in there are still going to be fixed, so I'll won't comment that.

The story was good, matching the theme, but it still has very big holes in it. The question everyone will have: Why? Why did his house got burned down? Why did his family die? Where did they die? In the house, before that or after that? Why did the guy had to be punished, or wasn't he punished on purpose?

These are a lot of questions, and I think you should answer that in your cinematic. It makes people focus more on the cinematic then the questions they have with it.

But I'm not a bad news bringer, so I'll also say that you've made a fine selection of music. It fits a sad theme well and you made good use of that.

All with all, I think this cinematic has a good chance of a good ranking. Even though it's the first cinematic posted so far.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll see what I can do about some of the things you posted, but I don't really want to go into too much detail about what happened before his house was burnt down.

Ok, I watched that cinematic, I just have feeling of deja vu, (yes, cult of the damned)

I dont think it should have answer why house or whatever happened. Thats not story about causes but about consequences. (just take for example the movie Cube, they didnt explain causes, only consequences)

And it would be total nonsence to make more complicated story when duration is so limited. (thats easy rule of writing, when text is short, you cannot and must not explain everything, if you write 500page book, then you can explain whatever you like)

But I found the story little bit cliche. (i dont know, wasnt it you who made that "requiem for a dream" cinematic?)

Yea I know that the story isn't exactly the most original thing ever, but it works and goes well with the theme.

And no, it wasn't me who that Requiem For a Dream. I'm pretty sure that was ghenjis.

Level 28
I've finally fixed the problems with my models, so let's hope I can finish them in time to complete my submission. If it will: You're all doomed to lose! <evil laugh>

You know that everytime I have been convinced that I would win I've ended up loosing worse than... what ever looses really badly.
My tactics for Cinematic Contest #2 where to make myself belive that I suck and that you or Bunny would win. And guess what happened.

Level 18
Here's a WIP of my model used in my submission. The mesh is finished (unless I missed something), I'm working on the bones now :thumbs_up:

wip_4826.jpg

Level 2
Very well made sir Robert27, having better graphics and animations is the only way I might have been more sad by the end. The camera angles and animations are great but I think that it would be better telling the story of what happened to him, not a run through of what happened to him.

P.S. Amazing selection of music.

EDIT: Upon watching the movie again I noticed some things.

1st and foremost why did they burn his house and kill his family and not just hang him?
2nd you should have made a animation for the man to react when his house is burned.
3rd you should have made a falling animation for when he kills himself.

Level 1
I think two months deadline are more appropriate. People are not always in the mood to work on their cinematic, and then there's school and other businesses.
Correct.

I had a question about this contest. Has there been only one submission (by Bob27) or more than that?

Level 18
I don't mind. More time means better quality cinematics, so the more fun for everyone :thumbs_up:
I don't think anyone has a problem with this, because Cinematic Contests take long by nature. There has to be a lot of triggering to time everything correctly, which consumes a lot of time and testing.

Level 37
Perhaps in future contests there should be a rule that you can post wips, but you can't post the cinematics until very near of deadline. That way people don't start to watch others' cinematics and then judge if their own is better. Well, ehh.

Of course this works at least for cinematics. Don't know about other contests.

Level 24
Perhaps in future contests there should be a rule that you can post wips, but you can't post the cinematics until very near of deadline. That way people don't start to watch others' cinematics and then judge if their own is better. Well, ehh.

Of course this works at least for cinematics. Don't know about other contests.

Well people usually do that anyway. However the problem in this case I posted my cinematic and then an extension was given.

Level 18
I don't think people would stop making their cinematic because they think they can't get better then Bob27's submission. No offence Bob27, but I think your story is too general and isn't too hard to compete with for people to worry about those things. The comments I made still count and you've fixed pretty much everything, but it's just the story that isn't very touching to me. If I were to comment on that, I'd be changing your submission into mine :gg:

So I don't think people would be scared away because of it. However, it does sound like a good idea to let people submit their final entry until near the end of the contest. Ofcourse, like said before: Extensions could screw this up. So I think the best idea would be having the host place a post when entries may be submitted. The host knows if there will or will not be an extension, so he/she can decide when the submissions may be posted.

EDIT: My previous WIP isn't the final mesh, like I said back then. I forgot to add 2 more units to the model, 3 guns, a sword and I wanted to remake the faces, because they were not working properly. This also means there won't be any eye blinking on the face, but the eyebrows and mouth will still be animated (However, this still does not mean I'm going to animate the voices, like some thought. They will only show facial expressions). A WIP of the final mesh will be posted soon.

EDIT 2: Here's a WIP on the final mesh. At least I don't think I've forgotten anything.
wip_5934.jpg

wip_6306.jpg

Last edited:
Level 28
So I don't think people would be scared away because of it. However, it does sound like a good idea to let people submit their final entry until near the end of the contest. Ofcourse, like said before: Extensions could screw this up. So I think the best idea would be having the host place a post when entries may be submitted. The host knows if there will or will not be an extension, so he/she can decide when the submissions may be posted.

Or the contestants could simply PM the completed thing to the host, who won't show them to anyone else untill the poll is opened. WIPs could still be attatched to the thread to prove that it's yours and that it wasn't in progress before the contest started.

Level 18
Oh, I know! You're just lazy!
Leave this contest to the pro's :thumbs_up:

Just kidding. I think real life is a good reason not to have time for your cinematic. Everybody has school or work and some even exams, so that shouldn't suffer because of this. I can also imagine you could get bored of your work if you do it all the time and you (temporarily) want to do something else to cool down. But laziness is just something you should know to avoid when starting a contest.

Level 25
Well i got bored...
I joined because i never made a cinematic, and it seemed like a good decision...
But i more like to code a spell/system for a day/two and find something interesting again :p

Sorry for the offtopic posts, keeping distance from those to keep the thread clean...

Level 18
How about the L in Late?
The deadline is end of may and you really need a while for a well-made cinematic. There's very little chance you'll be able to finish a submission in time for this contest.

However, if you really want, you can make it and if it isn't done before the end of the contest, you can still upload it outside the contest. But in both cases: Make sure it's quality. There's no use either inside or outside the contest to upload/submit a quality lacking conematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.