• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #9 - Cataclysm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Sorry. It's a bit late to reply to this, but I just noticed it and had to post a response.
cobras using the high res rocks
and an illegal tree on the left of the picture (its from xgm). also, the fog in the water looks extremely funky in spots

Both the tree and the grass model are in the Contest Sanctioned models thread, and also included in the Ultimate Terraining Map 4.0 (I know it was a rather lame April Fools joke by ~Void~, but he did import quite a few useful models into it, including the xgm tree, high res rocks, snow-covered pine, grass model, and steinlords4b.) Just wanted to clear that up. Also, your terrain is looking great so far, although I have to agree with everyone that the underwater part needs to look a tad more "underwater".

@Oziris: Your terrain has potential, but, to me, it looks a tad messy. I like the ferns in the forground, but I think that you might also want to make them a little darker so that they don't stick out so much. Also, the trees too could use some darkening, and, while you don't have to do this, I would much rather that you used world tree models for the bases, and shrubs for the leaves, because the model which you're using is kind of ugly. In addition, the grass in the background is barren, and uses one of my least favorite textures in Warcraft 3, you should either continue the fernspam all the way up to the fort, or put something else there, like rocks or bushes. Finally, the mountains in the background aren't my favorite, and the fort looks rather generic and lifeless. Still, though, I could see this developing into a great terrain.

@Everyone You can expect another WIP from me soon. I just got hit by a wave of inspiration.

Level 11
Destruction%20WIP%201.png

I know it needs underbrush and rocks and such beneath the trees, which I plan to add, as well as some animals.

EDIT:
Destruction%20WIP%202.png

Last edited:
@Belgarath

Use SHIFT + double click on a field for pitch in object editor.

Inserting negative values up to 2 PI (anything above is useless, it is the same;afaik) will change the facing of the helicopter.

i know how to do it. it just never works the way i want it to which is why i can't figure out how to work it properly

i hadn't thought about the contest sanctioned models crap

oziris your fern needs to be the same the whole way. your bridge looks silly since there's no road, the city looks empty, the sun is.. white.

Level 5
must of been a pretty weak tidal wave that none of the plants or trees were ripped up and there to be no sign of debris, tho thats contridicted by the depth of the water that sharks and wotnot are swimming in it not to mention the lack of light penetration. also the water looks really calm whre as im pretty sure that a tidal wave (and the resulting backswash) is fairly turbulent

Oziris, it's great now, don't touch the lighting again, because you made it :)
Now, I dislike the bridge and the floating boxes in the river. Change the bridge and remove the boxes. That intense green tree you have behind the brigde with the three branches, should be the one that stands in the background, in the city. It will look way better than the current one.

Level 5
@Oziris; =0 i love that sun nice job. also you should mebe replace those vines with nicer ones in the utm the ones you have now are very square/boxy especially at the ends. im looking forward to the complete project xD

Level 11
pretty cool, the sky on the left is a bit open though

about the helicopter, yeah, but ive never been able to figure out how the fuck to use the negative roll/pitch crap and i just left it

Hmm, I see what you mean.

I am not sure which sky to go with though :(, I really like the sun, but the blue has a brighter, and more open feeling.

high res trees make anything look good

Almost anything of course, but I would like to feel there is more too it than that :p

EDIT:
Destruction%20WIP%203.png

Last edited:
must of been a pretty weak tidal wave that none of the plants or trees were ripped up and there to be no sign of debris, tho thats contridicted by the depth of the water that sharks and wotnot are swimming in it not to mention the lack of light penetration. also the water looks really calm whre as im pretty sure that a tidal wave (and the resulting backswash) is fairly turbulent

who said its a tidal wave? ;) (probably me..)

either way this is the aftermath not the tidal wave happening

oziris, shadows in yours are bad because theyre not really going away from the sun and since you havent put shadows ON the ferns (seeing as thats difficult)

Level 1
Think i might give it a try. Ill have to juggle it with studying and playing on the Twilight server though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 7
Now I really hate when something like this happens... Why the f*** does it need to happen?

I was on my computer, thinking about nothing wrong, And was going to check how's my terrain. Guess what happened... There's no map. I tried everything to do, to find it, but no. Nothing. Then, I checked the recycle bin, and found it in there. I pull it into the desktop, it gets deleted from the recycle bin, and nowhere on the Desktop. I'm F***ing Retarded! IT'S me or my PC!

Well... You all probably guess that I'm gonna work on a new terrain.

Every ending is a new beginning. Let's hope the second Cata and pre-Cata get even better than my old ones.

Level 23
Final Submission

So now here is my final entry. First I though of skipping taking part in the contest, because it looked like I wouldn't have enough time to improve my entry enough so that it would be worth to participate, but then I decided to give it a try and rush the thing a little. So at some point this entry is not really finished, but I won't have time to deal with it in the next week, so here we go:
I decided to upload the two attached pictures as my final submissions, hope you like them!

"Long, long time these beautiful woods were a peaceful place to live for many forest creatures, only protect by the magic of the nature itself and the human priests of earth, that builded up temples full of magic at the roots of the mystic ancient trees. All was peaceful, but in times of whole world's destruction, a mighty Firelord decided to make the forest into his home. And he brought destruction himself, and the once peaceful forest is now replaced by a new, a different landscape, that only seems peaceful to its creator himself!"

Extra Credits go to CloudWolf for the realistic Firelord skin and HappyTauren for the awesome fire model!
And credits to all the model makers in the UTM!

Attachments

• BeforeCataclysm.jpg
    BeforeCataclysm.jpg
    553.4 KB · Views: 915
  • AfterCataclysm.jpg
    AfterCataclysm.jpg
    576.1 KB · Views: 823
Level 9
This is my final submission
I know that i still have much time till the deadline, but i'm out of inspiration.
I may change it, if i get new inspiration but so far i won't continue working on it.

Hope you like it :cute:

Attachments

• after_cataclysm.jpeg
    after_cataclysm.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 172
  • pre_cataclysm.jpeg
    pre_cataclysm.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 138
Level 11
Final Submission

So now here is my final entry. First I though of skipping taking part in the contest, because it looked like I wouldn't have enough time to improve my entry enough so that it would be worth to participate, but then I decided to give it a try and rush the thing a little. So at some point this entry is not really finished, but I won't have time to deal with it in the next week, so here we go:
I decided to upload the two attached pictures as my final submissions, hope you like them!

The Firelord was a bad idea in my opinion. But aside from that very very nice. Reminds me of the final video in Fantasia 2000.

3:52 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FWq17CT6Cs&feature=related

-Kobas- Screenshots
Time has come for me to add my Final Submission, so here it is!

"Hold me tight and don't let go,
In your ear I'll whisper a song.
When embers die,when morning comes,
I fear this city will be gone.

An avalanche of scarlet death,
Consuming everything we knew.
For you I'd go to hell and back.
There's nothing that I wouldn't do."

Arathi Rock -> takakenji
Green Trees -> Nasrudin
Eerie Fog -> sc_freak
Plants -> xXm0rpH3usXx
Waterfall -> Ultimate Terrain Map v3.0 (Author unknown)
Sun Flare -> Ultimate Terrain Map v3.0 (Author unknown)
Dead Trees -> Mc!
Moon -> Thrikodius
Fire -> HappyTauren

Also I want to say thanks to CHA_Owner, Pharaoh_
and Belgarath for ideas (first picture) within comments!

Attachments

• Terrain Contest 09 - Before Cataclysm.jpg
    Terrain Contest 09 - Before Cataclysm.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 652
  • Terrain Contest 09 - After Cataclysm.jpg
    Terrain Contest 09 - After Cataclysm.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 657
Level 12
The Pre-cataclysm terrain is done!

The city of Alanar, a small city nestled in the forests beside a large bay, was a prosperous city. For, towering behind it, was a great, mystical machine, with the power to control weather. With this machine, the citizens of Alanar ensured that their city was always graced by the warmth of the sun, and only the lightest of rains. Storms never came to Alanar. Yet what the citizens of Alanar did not realize was that, the more they defied nature, the greater her fury would be when it finally came. And, slowly but surely, the weather machine began to lose power, while, just out of sight, a terrible storm was forming.

Onward to post-cataclysm!

Attachments

• Pre Cat Terrain D1.png
    Pre Cat Terrain D1.png
    637.8 KB · Views: 142
Status
Not open for further replies.