• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Solo Mapping Competition #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Since gameplay will be rated - and that ties to coding, it will have it's own part. But coding is not going to be the highest goal in this case, as I am mostly in a lookout for someone who has an edge for design and artistic coordination.

Coding overall, will get a max of 10% of all the points only.

NOTE: The map HAS to be single player. Read the rules.

Level 19
NOTE: The map HAS to be single player. Read the rules.

I don't get that rule. What's the problem if a map is for 2 players instead of 1. You can still add creative terrain or a good lore to a multiplayer map, think about lord of the rings games. Doing the lotr storyline with a friend next to me playing a 2nd character had always been more fun for me then playing it singleplayer. I think that rule is only reducing the opportunities and will result in people comming with the same idea's more often.
So far I've only seen maps with a dark atmosphere. Where players control just 1 unit (and probably able to level up like a hero in an rpg). (Ofc there are exceptions like De.Facto. But you get the point?)
Ofc there's nothing wrong with the dark atmosphere pictures and the stereotype idea's people will come up with with the theme of this contest. I'm just disappointed that the single player rule came in, because I believe it only reduces the qualities of this contest.

Ofc. there's no time for me to make a map anymore even if multiplayer would be allowed. So after all there's no use of this post here. But I just wanted to share my opinion because... well I think it's quite unfortunate.

Level 11
Mh, yes. That's totally correct. Single-player-adventures are outdated so far. On the other Hand: Within 6 weeks it is definitely not possible to create a multiplayer-adventure (with a dynamic gameplay + plots) - at least not in a solo-competition. It was always my wish to set up a multiplayer-adventure with a 100% replayability. Quite hard to manage, but possible. StarCraft II will be a good starting platform for a second Cherno. Apart from that I guess we can start our eagerly awaitet beta-test soon. :>

Level 19
Mh, yes. That's totally correct. Single-player-adventures are outdated so far. On the other Hand: Within 6 weeks it is definitely not possible to create a multiplayer-adventure (with a dynamic gameplay + plots) - at least not in a solo-competition. It was always my wish to set up a multiplayer-adventure with a 100% replayability. Quite hard to manage, but possible. StarCraft II will be a good starting platform for a second Cherno. Apart from that I guess we can start our eagerly awaitet beta-test soon. :>

Well... then I had the idea for the impossible. I had a fairly simple idea that people could do against eachother. It's like chess or any other tablegame. You basically have lots of possibilities and basically create your own adventure. Too bad Oakwood is my main priority at the moment, else I would deffo make it. People would have to do various things in order to win. They can sabotate (spelt correctly?) eachother's main objectives while trying to do their own. This takes place in some sort of an ancient tomb with alot of hidden traps while the players could set traps for eachother aswel. I had it perfectly written down with eye on details and already imported the right models for the right envorinement (spelt correctly?:p) because I'm mainly a terrainer after all. I'm not here to argue or something, I'm just saying it is possible because I had the perfect 'schematic' to make it.:wink:

EDIT: Maybe next summer holiday will give me some time to make it. However still that depends on Oakwood.

Single player adventures are more fun, since you are not limited with almost anything, you can add more complex features and wholly customize the game and don't worry about performance so much as in multiplayer. You can take your time, save your game whenever you wish... Also, in multiplayer you must wait for some person to join and hoping it isn't a wanker, some people just can't play multi for various reasons, or can't host etc

Level 19
Single player adventures are more fun, since you are not limited with almost anything, you can add more complex features and wholly customize the game and don't worry about performance so much as in multiplayer. You can take your time, save your game whenever you wish... Also, in multiplayer you must wait for some person to join and hoping it isn't a wanker, some people just can't play multi for various reasons, or can't host etc

Well.. I didn't post this all to argue about the point that singleplayer games are worse/better then multiplayer games. That's a person's opinion.
My point was that this contest was actually only ment for people with that same opinion. Those that prefer multiplayer games (like me) wouldn't be able to make it.
I just think that limiting a contest to only multiplayer or only singleplayer was a well... bad move.

Level 19
I dont think it was a bad move at all. It can take time to make something MPI if you for example make a full screen inventory in a single player map, then you dont have to set it up for maybe 7 players.
So it takes more time to make it multiplayer and you are limited to a map size.

I said making contest limited to "multiplayer only" or "singleplayer only" was a bad move. I didn't say anything about singleplayer. If you give people the option to either go multi or singleplayer then they could decide for theirselves. If you think multiplayer takes too much time (which will be barely noticeable because nowadays every spell or trigger in the spells section has to be MUI) then you could go for a singleplayer map. I just think it would've been better to let the people decide theirselves instead of limiting the contest to 1 of both.

The map can be played singleplayer or multiplayer, so if it HAS to be singleplayer, I have not violated a rule as far as I am concerned.
In this instance, multiplayer would make my map a lot easier. A lot of people have different ways of thinking and i think combining peoples' abilities and using them for teamwork makes a lot better of a map.

Anyone have anything to say as far as a review? All i got is "Your map has to be singleplayer." (Which i do not believe is stated in the rules, and has also been refuted by Pyritie)

No submission may violate any of the site rules.
If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
All submissions must follow the current theme. If any entry does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
Several screenshots of terrain and gameplay.
The file in the appropriate format.
You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
Judges and/or hosts may not participate.
Your final submission must be bug free.
Teamwork is not allowed.
Finding testers and voice actors to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
The map must be single player only.
Third party editors may be used in the creation of your map (JassNewGenPack, World Editor Unlimited), but they must all be noted clearly in your submission.
Imports can be used, however you will not receive any marks for them, and all imports must be credited.
Map size is limited to 15 MB max.
Beta testing is allowed as well, as long as the beta tester will not be a Judge or Another Contestant.

Level 19
The map can be played singleplayer or multiplayer, so if it HAS to be singleplayer, I have not violated a rule as far as I am concerned.
In this instance, multiplayer would make my map a lot easier. A lot of people have different ways of thinking and i think combining peoples' abilities and using them for teamwork makes a lot better of a map.

Anyone have anything to say as far as a review? All i got is "Your map has to be singleplayer." (Which i do not believe is stated in the rules, and has also been refuted by Pyritie)

Contest rules say this:
"The map must be single player only."

These are some pics I have. The first screenshot is the overview of the complete map.
The others, you can see in the minimap, are incomplete.

I think it's really too short, but maybe that's because I know all the riddles and "secrets".

Attachments

• The Lost Treasure WIP2.JPG
    The Lost Treasure WIP2.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 76
  • The Lost Treasure WIP3.JPG
    The Lost Treasure WIP3.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 68
  • The Lost Treasure WIP4.JPG
    The Lost Treasure WIP4.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 71
  • The Lost Treasure WIP5.JPG
    The Lost Treasure WIP5.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 63
  • The Lost Treasure WIP10.JPG
    The Lost Treasure WIP10.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 91
  • The Lost Treasure WIP9.JPG
    The Lost Treasure WIP9.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 95
  • The Lost Treasure WIP8.jpg
    The Lost Treasure WIP8.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 78
  • The Lost Treasure WIP7.jpg
    The Lost Treasure WIP7.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 61
  • The Lost Treasure WIP6.JPG
    The Lost Treasure WIP6.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 65
Right here:
No submission may violate any of the site rules.
If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
All submissions must follow the current theme. If any entry does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
Several screenshots of terrain and gameplay.
The file in the appropriate format.
You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
Judges and/or hosts may not participate.
Your final submission must be bug free.
Teamwork is not allowed.
Finding testers and voice actors to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
The map must be single player only.
Third party editors may be used in the creation of your map (JassNewGenPack, World Editor Unlimited), but they must all be noted clearly in your submission.
Imports can be used, however you will not receive any marks for them, and all imports must be credited.
Map size is limited to 15 MB max.
Beta testing is allowed as well, as long as the beta tester will not be a Judge or Another Contestant.

Level 19
Yeah exactly.
And somewere in this topic (not gonna search through 85 pages) Syleona (the contest host) said it had to be single player only.

Level 8
Here is just a little WIP, only 1 pic because im bussy doing more important stuff to my map than "improving" terrain ^^.

Hf and critics are welcome
(to counter 1 critic, the color composition will stay, and yes, this includes the tiles ;) )

Attachments

• WIP1.JPG
    WIP1.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 107
Level 25
I was sceptical if i will have time to finish this but it seems that all triggering for all my 3 characters and the main gameplay systems will get finished by monday, so that will leave me about a week to work on traps/puzzles alone :D

Also after this contest i will release a boss vJASS system which is easy to use and i will show you it's usage in my map ;)

The sad thing is the playable map size is only about 45-50% of the whole map size due to the fact i terrain slowly :3

Good luck to all other contestants! ^^

Level 8
most of the cliff wont be visible in the better terrained regions.
But i em not able to remove all the cliffs i already used, it would cost to much time that is needed on triggers and beta testings.

I got another problem, i dont know why this happend, or what this is.
I got some wind effects in some regions, without any regions there or any
triggers for this at all, they just are there .... i could die.

can someone help me? how to remove kinda "unplaced" effects??

Attachments

• ERROR.JPG
    ERROR.JPG
    305.2 KB · Views: 64
most of the cliff wont be visible in the better terrained regions.
But i em not able to remove all the cliffs i already used, it would cost to much time that is needed on triggers and beta testings.

I got another problem, i dont know why this happend, or what this is.
I got some wind effects in some regions, without any regions there or any
triggers for this at all, they just are there .... i could die.

can someone help me? how to remove kinda "unplaced" effects??

I remember reading a tutorial about this somewhere - weather effects are applied to all of the yellow squares in WE, and if the region is touching any of them then they all get the effect

Level 8
And so I decided imma try racing against time and see if I manage to finish a map that has 1 hour of gameplay for the remaining 10 days.

First thing first comes terrain.
Now I'm wondering what Ambiance should I use.
I kinda like yellow the most cuz it gives the best feeling of a dungeon(looks long forgotten to me) but any feedback will come handy.

Attachments

• Blue.JPG
    Blue.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 105
  • Green.JPG
    Green.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Yellow.JPG
    Yellow.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 92
Level 8
It sucks that you can only make decent ruins with sunken tilesets :p(not including imports that is)
Not true. Sunken Ruins is the best wc3 base tile set and you can actually create really nice stuff with no imports at all.

Level 8
I was talking about that exact point:

NOT ALL RUINS ARE SUNKEN.

Geez what if i wanted some non yellow green dungeons? I would be screwed.
Not ^^. Look at TKoK. It is in Sunken Ruins tile set. Guess what? It has 1 total doodad import that is the barrens tree. Everything else are base wc3 doodads and I quite like the terrain ^^. Buuut yeah imports do help and it could've been better. Gotta work with what you have :)

Level 19
Not ^^. Look at TKoK. It is in Sunken Ruins tile set. Guess what? It has 1 total doodad import that is the barrens tree. Everything else are base wc3 doodads and I quite like the terrain ^^. Buuut yeah imports do help and it could've been better. Gotta work with what you have :)

You always with your TKoK! lol. We're going to improve it!
YEAH!!!

And gl in those 10 days:D

Level 25
Here are 2 BLP files.

They should have their paths set to :

Textures\*filename*

They will replace the original textures.
Not for all ruin doodads though.

The BLP file is simply a recolor of the normal ones, used some saturation and used less light on them.

Attachments

• RuinsDoodads0.blp
    75.5 KB · Views: 36
  • RuinsDoodads1.blp
    73.1 KB · Views: 30
Status
Not open for further replies.