• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Mapping Contest #13 - Ghastly Realm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
I think I've just realised that you started your work BEFORE the contest was announced.
lol some statement that is..

My school project task was announced last week on Friday thus how come I started the project a month ago before the task was given and before the contest was started? I worked on a unity project before this one, and worked on Garden's Tale before that unity game. There is no way in hell I created the map before this contest was started. In fact I started almost one month late.

Seriously people you only make yourself looks dumb. Your knowledge about mapping is very swallow yet you talk and prejudice like you know everything... seesh

Attachments

• asd.png
    asd.png
    14 KB · Views: 92
Level 19
well... we couldn't see your data, could we? Anyway, I am dropping of this contest. Not only have I lost my map and haven't yet found fresh ideas, but also I have a lot of stuff on college, that's killing me. I was thinking of dropping before but the fact that I can't compete with any of you makes it final.
I'll stick around to see who wins. Cheers!

Kazeon

Level 33
And this is how the map currently looks...

EDIT:
well... we couldn't see your data, could we? Anyway, I am dropping of this contest. Not only have I lost my map and haven't yet found fresh ideas, but also I have a lot of stuff on college, that's killing me. I was thinking of dropping before but the fact that I can't compete with any of you makes it final.
I'll stick around to see who wins. Cheers!
It's 42MB big so Id prefer to quit the contest instead of proving this bullshit.

Attachments

• ASD2.png
    ASD2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 118
Level 11
lol some statement that is..

My school project task was announced last week on Friday thus how come I started the project a month ago before the task was given and before the contest was started? I worked on a unity project before this one, and worked on Garden's Tale before that unity game. There is no way in hell I created the map before this contest was started. In fact I started almost one month late.

Seriously people you only make yourself looks dumb. Your knowledge about mapping is very swallow yet you talk and prejudice like you know everything... seesh

Hey wow, it makes sense people are a little bit concerned if what you're making is also tied to something else.
It's just a precaution, you did word it a little weird.
But alas assuming makes an ass out of you and me eh?

No harm done, I thought a month in would be proof enough that it wasn't created beforehand but oh well.

Kazeon

Level 33
Hey wow, it makes sense people are a little bit concerned if what you're making is also tied to something else.
It's just a precaution, you did word it a little weird.
But alas assuming makes an ass out of you and me eh?

No harm done, I thought a month in would be proof enough that it wasn't created beforehand but oh well.
Why are you so offended lol?

If it's precaution you'd rather say something nicer like "You didn't start it before the contest began, right?"
Not
"I just realized you started the map before the contest began blabla..."

I think the difference of how those two sound is very obvious. You people were suspecting me to cheat which I've never committed since I was in junior high school (more than 8 years ago). I feel offended here buddy.

EDIT:
Anyway, seems like I'm ruining your party people. I think will just leave, not because I cry bcs I'm suspected as a fraud, but rather I feel like the atmosphere in this thread has changed from competitive to something else bcs of me, which I feel sorry about.

Last edited:
Level 11
Why are you so offended lol?

If it's precaution you'd rather say something nicer like "You didn't start it before the contest began, right?"
Not
"I just realized you started the map before the contest began blabla..."

I think the difference of how those two sound is very obvious. You people were suspecting me to cheat which I've never committed since I was in junior high school (more than 8 years ago). I feel offended here buddy.

EDIT:
Anyway, seems like I'm ruining your party people. I think will just leave.

I'm not offended.
And yes, it'd be way nicer to say something like that, hence what I quoted about assuming.
I can completely understand why you're offended, you've been accused wrongly.

You can do what you want from this point on. Just know that it was handled badly and you're not in the wrong.

Level 26
Don't drop out Quilnez!
There is no way anyone can prove that you started before the contest or not, and it doesn't really matter, because you obviously have a long way to go.
That rule "don't start before the contest" is there so that people won't get extra time to work on their project, and also to make sure that people does not simply turn one of their old maps to fit the contest theme.

I think you other guys blaming him for starting early have jumped to conclusions. You don't even know hom much is done his project.
There is no way you can tell wheter or not Quilnez started his submission before the contest, so stop assuming and work on your submissions instead.

Also, Quilnez, just so you know, it is not against the rules using an extension program like you do, but you might be shooting yourself in the foot submitting this kind of work to this contest, as few people use SharpCraft, and will therefore be unable to try out your map, which makes them less likely to vote for you. Judging for Rex will also be tricky and a drag, since he will be forced to install it to judge your map properly. Is it possible that you keep it out?

Kazeon

Level 33
Also, Quilnez, just so you know, it is not against the rules using an extension program like you do, but you might be shooting yourself in the foot submitting this kind of work to this contest, as few people use SharpCraft, and will therefore be unable to try out your map, which makes them less likely to vote for you. Judging for Rex will also be tricky and a drag, since he will be forced to install it to judge your map properly. Is it possible that you keep it out?
Well honestly, I didn't plan to win the contest, rather just to participate. But if I did, I wouldn't make a half-ass'ed map strongly relying on high quality graphic alone, I will also make some worth while gameplay. Yet I didn't plan to. I will still upload this to the map section eventually, so no harm's done. :)

Quilnez out.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I will use that font as well since it seems to be the publicly acclaimed one.

Level 21
I've been holding back an idea for a while and decided to try making it. I'll submit whatever I get done if there's less than 5 contest entries.

Since there's so much time,I'd be happy to create a map of a haunted house. I need to rest my head on creating my campaign so,yeah. I'll be creating a map called

View attachment 253656
Dun, dun, DUNNN! So are you going to have little jumpscares scattered throughout it, or is the fact that it's a haunted house just setting the scene?

Level 21
Probably like RE7 demo?
Yuck. From what I saw, they're just making that one into a weird mash-up of typical horror movies with a hint of RE thrown in. Although it might make for an interesting Warcraft map.
I'm still taking suggestions. Do you like a medieval priest doing exorcism in the mansion, or a modern man trying to get out of a haunted mansion?
It would be pretty cool to play as an exorcist having to perform delicate rituals. You could have situations where you have to defend someone else performing a ritual, or you have to go seek out objects to use in one you'd conduct.

Level 19
Here's a wip to show that I'm in. The gameplay will be using first person camera and arrow key movement system. I added a flashlight system which consumes batteries to stay on. These batteries will be scattered around the map though. A witch will try to find the player before s/he can escape. There will be some items that are necessary to find for the escape. As time passes the witch will get more aggressive though. Making louder and freaky noises. I will try to add little jump scares in the game too ^^

Regional ambient sounds will have big effect since the player can run out of flashlight batteries and have to depend on sounds only, but if I can achieve the level of scariness I intend to, that'll be hard to do unless you got da balls for that :p

Attachments

• wip1.png
    wip1.png
    3 MB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Level 15
Here's a wip to show that I'm in. The gameplay will be first person camera and arrow key movement system. I added a flashlight system which consumes batteries to stay on. These batteries will be scattered around the map though. A witch will try to find the player before s/he can escape. There will be some items that are necessary to find for the escape. As time passes the witch will get more aggressive though. Making louder and freaky noises. I will try to add little jump scares in the game too ^^

Regional ambient sounds will have big effect since the player can run out of flashlight batteries and have to depend on sounds only, but if I can achieve the level of scariness I intend to, that'll be a hard to do unless you got da balls for that :p

haha, more like outlast 2 demo

Here's a wip to show that I'm in. The gameplay will be first person camera and arrow key movement system. I added a flashlight system which consumes batteries to stay on. These batteries will be scattered around the map though. A witch will try to find the player before s/he can escape. There will be some items that are necessary to find for the escape. As time passes the witch will get more aggressive though. Making louder and freaky noises. I will try to add little jump scares in the game too ^^

Regional ambient sounds will have big effect since the player can run out of flashlight batteries and have to depend on sounds only, but if I can achieve the level of scariness I intend to, that'll be a hard to do unless you got da balls for that :p

Seems nice. Loved the fact that it's first person and it has flashlight batteries.

It would be pretty cool to play as an exorcist having to perform delicate rituals. You could have situations where you have to defend someone else performing a ritual, or you have to go seek out objects to use in one you'd conduct.

Oh good,coz here's my wip:

You can cast spells with F1,F2 and other Fs.Currently there's:
F1 - Heal
F2 - Divine Blast

Level 19
haha, more like outlast 2 demo
Ahaha or slenderman :D im not going much for creativity here but im going for the implementation.

Seems nice. Loved the fact that it's first person and it has flashlight batteries.

Oh good,coz here's my wip:

You can cast spells with F1,F2 and other Fs.Currently there's:
F1 - Heal
F2 - Divine Blast

Thanks mate ^^ fps is a bit problematic tho. Eventhough turning is smooth it may be too much sometimes :(

And youve got a neat map there and a better idea too :D

Asking for help how to do something seems totaly legit. Evereyone should have the possibility to learn.
Telling someone to create certain aspects of your map, such things is not allowed. Same goes for "here is my code, make/improve it!" and alike.

I think in the end your ethics should destinguish it pretty fine until what point "help" can be considered as fair.

Asking for help how to do something seems totaly legit. Evereyone should have the possibility to learn.
Telling someone to create certain aspects of your map, such things is not allowed. Same goes for "here is my code, make/improve it!" and alike.

I think in the end your ethics should destinguish it pretty fine until what point "help" can be considered as fair.
Hmmm, thanks IcemanBo!

This contest is going to be awesome!

That sky and purple fog
That is because I'm not a fan of monotony.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 19
Okay, almost done with the behaviour of the Witch/Demon whatever you call her :D

She searches for the player in the map. She can see the flashlight from some distance and directly chase the player. The player can turn the flashlight off before it is too late and stop moving so the witch will think of it as a false alarm and continue her searching, but if she gets close enough she won't be fooled by this trick and you will have to run away until you lose the aggro. Luckily for the player, other than the scary and eerie sound effects, when the witch gets close you will hear your heartbeats getting faster. The closer she is the faster your heartbeat is. So you will know if she has spotted you or just around you.

Level 21
Okay, almost done with the behaviour of the Witch/Demon whatever you call her :D

She searches for the player in the map. She can see the flashlight from some distance and directly chase the player. The player can turn the flashlight off before it is too late and stop moving so the witch will think of it as a false alarm and continue her searching, but if she gets close enough she won't be fooled by this trick and you will have to run away until you lose the aggro. Luckily for the player, other than the scary and eerie sound effects, when the witch gets close you will hear your heartbeats getting faster. The closer she is the faster your heartbeat is. So you will know if she has spotted you or just around you.
WOW, seriously?! You basically described both of our maps! This will be extremely interesting

In case I enter, this is my WIP of Parallux. The gameplay is very simple, but I plan to add in new game mechanics each level with different environments.
That looks absolutely incredible! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Final Entry:

Map name: The Souls of Paradise

tsoplogo-png.254225

By PrinceYaser

Story

Magwina Creighton was a powerful Human mage that have died in a war. She has lost her souls and turned to a ghost. Now, she must find her souls in a strange world to return to her intial state.
Features
[*]Custom Abilities with interesting effects
[*]Four different bosses and souls
[*]Multiple difficulties
[*]Alpha terrain

What should be done to gain victory?
This is a single player map. In this map you are Magwina Creighton and you should find Magwina's souls which respectively are the Frost Soul , Darkness Soul , Fire Soul and Ghost Soul. In this way and in that strange and deadly world, you will confront with the Soul Guards and units that you must kill them to capture your souls and return to your intial state.

WIPs of Terrain
Map.jpg
Map1.jpg
Map2.jpg
Map.jpg
Map2.jpg
Map.jpg
full

Change log from the first version until now
*Done some changes on the terrain*
*Added custom new abilities with interesting effects*
*Done some improvements on the cinematics*
*Added boss fights*
*Added multiple difficulties*
Credits

WCUnderground Models:
Dareshar
sigmaceti
kantarion
yonatanDS

Hiveworkshop:
DungeonM and Fladdermasken for UTM
BloodRaven
Tarrasque
Justify
Quilnez
-Berz-
Mc !
WILL THE ALMIGHTY
JesusHipster
sPy
Jazztastic
Eusira
Callahan
Boogles
UgoUgo

Special thanks to Hiveworkshop's member: Zeggorat

Maybe some changes will apply on this post.
Thanks for your attention!

Attachments

• The-Souls-of-Paradise.w3x
    4.4 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Level 9

full

JUNGLE GRAVE 1.0
Created by Guramax

STORY:

You were about to travel back home when suddenly you got lost in a haunted jungle. Without a map, could you find your way out? Could you solve the mysteries that lurk in this cursed forest? Challenge yourself!

A young village girl was murdered years ago in this haunted jungle. Due to this jungle's dark atmosphere, her soul never found eternal rest and became the feared ghost that thirsts for the blood of men. She hopes one day she'll taste the blood of her murderers or even their descendants...

HOW TO PLAY:

1. Your primary goal is to escape this haunted jungle.
2. Talk your way out.
3. Avoid ghosts as much as possible.
4. Analyze your surroundings as you don't have a map available.

1. Simple Talk System - Which is necessary to finish the game.
2. Appropriate Theme Music
3. No Difficulty Modes - This game is Hard and gives you little to no clues, but it gets easier the more time you spend time, analyses and replays
4. Scary surprise for your ghastly needs.
5. In-game Guide in Quest Button.

(Tilt View) At starting area:
full

(Tilt View) Graveyard in the jungle:
full

The wise Jungle Hermit:
full

Version 1.0 - All the basic features

People:

1. Jhustinngwapo - My younger brother who tested this map.

Tutorials:

1. NarGalloth - Disabling Minimap in-game.

Music:

1. Digimon World 3 - Jungle Grave
2. Legend of Legaia - Boss Attack
3. Legend of Legaia - World Map Free of Mist
4. Ringtone - Evil Laugh

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

This map was made as an entry for the Mini-Mapping Contest #13 (Ghastly Realms); Nov-Dec2016.

I hope I hit the theme as accurate as possible. I don't know if this map is really that fun to play but if you got confused, mad, and frustrated, then this map has served it's purpose! With a little bit of luck, you might finish this game in a short period of time.

I'm sorry I cannot test this map with more people as I just realized that I don't have real close friends personally and online. So yeah... Enjoy!

To the Judges and Moderators, please play the map first for a couple of times before you go to the World Editor. Also, I would like to know if this map is acceptable for upload. Thank you and have a nice day!

Keywords:
survival, escape, ghost, haunted, jungle, grave, graveyard, forest, scary, spooky, death, horror, surprise, challenging, lost, luck, evil.

Attachments

• Jungle Grave v1.0 - Final.w3x
    3.2 MB · Views: 68
Level 21
Map name: The Souls of Paradise5
The post is looking good so far, and I'm anxious to see how the combat is.

JUNGLE GRAVE 1.0
Very interesting map. Although I did enjoy walking around and figuring things out, I was getting frustrated with ghosts hitting me when there was no reactive way to avoid them. Suggestions:
  • Disable black mask entirely. Fog of war is enough to hide things, and having them both working against the player makes it too easy to walk into a ghost you couldn't see coming at all.
  • Ghosts seem to have a larger damaging area than they appear to have. Eventually you learn how big their radius is after getting smacked around by them a bit, but I still think the ghosts either need to be shown to be larger or have a smaller AoE radius.
  • You could use thicker terrain fog to make it feel a little eerier. It would be even more useful if you've considered my first suggestion, and it wouldn't hinder the player more from seeing incoming ghosts like black mask does.
  • Ghost damage or ghosts themselves need to be turned off during talk scenes. There is absolutely no way to avoid them during these, and I was once hit three times during one conversation.
  • You have a lot of point leaks in your triggers. It doesn't seem to create performance issues with a pretty short game, but you might want to work on those to save you from some point reductions.
  • The hermit says "quiet a talker" instead of quite.
  • Maybe have a secret NPC that moves around the maps and will restore a small amount of HP/MP if you find them? If you make ghosts easier to dodge, then it's not really necessary. The very limited resources and getting jumped while trying to explore what felt like a maze the first couple times made it more frustrating than straight up difficult.
I love the final phase. I found myself saying "oh shit" out loud. I also like the need to repeatedly talk to NPCs instead of getting the whole gist at once. It felt reminiscent of Dark Souls in the inquisitive sense. I hope you're not entirely done with it yet, because there's still a lot of time to expand your idea or include little secrets that give it more enjoyable replayability.

Level 21
I uploaded the map right now on my post. You can play the map.
Tickles needs to learn how to hit the refresh button more often :pcon:

You created an interesting world. I wasn't really invested in the story, but gaining new abilities according to the souls obtained was more fun than sinking skill points in for no reason. And some suggestions:
  • A lot of the environment looks nice, but there was a lot of clipping in the walkable platforms where parts of the models would glitch through each other. You can avoid that by making them very slightly taller or shorter than each other, or you can just move them just outside the bounds of each other.
  • Using the same stone floor at different sizes looks a bit strange. When it's very large, the texture looks too stretched. When it's small like when used up higher in the decoration, it looks out of place. I suggest finding more types of platforms you can use and tile many of them instead of stretching them out.
  • Custom abilities with interesting effects are desperately needed. Even though the way you gain them is cool, I was bummed out to get default spells. There isn't even a reason to use Death Coil when you have Firebolt.
  • It's great that you have multiple difficulties, but they all felt easier than they should have. I think it would be a lot more interesting if you had powerful hero bosses which level up based on the difficulty chosen.
  • Having strong bosses would also make the game feel longer, because it feels cut extremely short as it is now. I was really expecting at least a boss at the end after acquiring all of the souls as a sort of ritual to combine them.
So you have a good baseline for the map, but now you can fill it in with all the yummy things that will make it feel better to play.

Tickles needs to learn how to hit the refresh button more often :pcon:

You created an interesting world. I wasn't really invested in the story, but gaining new abilities according to the souls obtained was more fun than sinking skill points in for no reason. And some suggestions:
  • A lot of the environment looks nice, but there was a lot of clipping in the walkable platforms where parts of the models would glitch through each other. You can avoid that by making them very slightly taller or shorter than each other, or you can just move them just outside the bounds of each other.
  • Using the same stone floor at different sizes looks a bit strange. When it's very large, the texture looks too stretched. When it's small like when used up higher in the decoration, it looks out of place. I suggest finding more types of platforms you can use and tile many of them instead of stretching them out.
  • Custom abilities with interesting effects are desperately needed. Even though the way you gain them is cool, I was bummed out to get default spells. There isn't even a reason to use Death Coil when you have Firebolt.
  • It's great that you have multiple difficulties, but they all felt easier than they should have. I think it would be a lot more interesting if you had powerful hero bosses which level up based on the difficulty chosen.
  • Having strong bosses would also make the game feel longer, because it feels cut extremely short as it is now. I was really expecting at least a boss at the end after acquiring all of the souls as a sort of ritual to combine them.
So you have a good baseline for the map, but now you can fill it in with all the yummy things that will make it feel better to play.
Wow, thanks a lot Tickles. You are a great reviewer, these suggestions are very helpful. Thanks mate!

Level 10
@PrinceYaser Cool map you got here, it's a little hard, but you said the character died, she is now undead, but in the end she is human, was that part of the story, the environment was very cool, with all the effects it has, enemies are a little powerful, skills are not enough to match them. But it was still pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.