• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Mini-Mapping Contest #13 - Ghastly Realm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
This what I done yet in my terrain:

wip-1-png.252533

wip-2-png.252532

wip-3-png.252534

Attachments

• WIP 2.png
    WIP 2.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 291
  • WIP 1.png
    WIP 1.png
    2 MB · Views: 295
  • WIP 3.png
    WIP 3.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 300
Level 13
Done some changes. I think 80% of the terrain is completed

Looking very spooky! Though i'm eager to hear what the story/background to this place is so i can understand how all the elements fit together

I'm still focused on my gameplay and have only thought about what to do for terraining though i'm not very worried about this anymore. New things from last time:

• Reward System: after each wave you are given a choice of 3 rewards and you pick 1 (currently attributes). It makes no sense to have corporeal items (such as boots of speed) in a ghastly realm which is why i went this way. Items may happen in some form eventually (mainly for consumables or boss loot).
  • Anasterian Sunstrider: those who haven't figured out my design, the setting takes place inside a shard of Frostmourne (after is is destroyed following the events of Fall of the Lich King). Though some souls escaped when the blade was shattered, some still remain (either wholly or partially) and now seek release knowing the blade is weakened. Anasterian was the father of Kael and was slain by Frostmourne when Arthas & scourge attacked Quel'thalas. His abilities are:
    • Searing Bolt: deals damage to the target, and deals bonus damage if it has Cinders.
    • Heat Shock: deals damage in a small area around the caster
    • Intensify: damages and stuns all enemies affected by cinders
    • Armageddon: rains down fire around the caster for 8 sec, damaging enemies.
    • Rebirth (not shown): significantly heals the caster
    • Cinders (passive): damage from your fire spells causes targets to burn for damage over 6 sec.

wip4-jpg.252562

wip5-jpg.252561

wip6-jpg.252560

Level 21
Great use of mostly default models to create an appealing environment, Wareditor. This is going to be such an epic contest.
I'm still focused on my gameplay and have only thought about what to do for terraining though i'm not very worried about this anymore. New things from last time
Looks like you've done a lot of work setting up the waves, but I have to point out that I'm not getting much of a ghastly vibe. Have you thought about making all of the enemies undead/ghosts? Or maybe the heroes could be more spectral and ghastly.

Level 13
Looks like you've done a lot of work setting up the waves, but I have to point out that I'm not getting much of a ghastly vibe. Have you thought about making all of the enemies undead/ghosts? Or maybe the heroes could be more spectral and ghastly.

I did think about making them spectral but that makes not much sense since they're already in a ghastly realm... imo spirits only appear ghosty/spectral/transparent when they're manifesting in the physical world (though i guess that's subjective). It's a bit annoying from a game play point of view if all playable units are slightly transparent i think (and will probably look odd with certain attachments).

I may try out some terraining tomorrow which will involve making the outside of the survival arena ghosty/foggy/voidy with some wandering souls and structures

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

WIP #1

Lots of people seem to be posting terrain screenshots, here's random one;
upload_2016-11-13_11-16-29.png

This is a grind place for bottom right team. Top right will have one camp and bottom left will have another (spawns at the upper side). This place will be connected with a purple TP, denoting tough camp. This will be a noob trap for those who don't realize to resp clog the top right camp hehe.

So while the main terrain looks the same expect for village fall grass tileset, I decided that there will be grind places. I thought mixing in a bit of grinding would be nice, as I don't expect the player to be 100% entertained by "here's ur team, go fight other team!".

I've finished a lot already, and a lot is to be finished. While the time given seems plenty I could still have to drop out. But I would still be eager to play this on MP :)

Level 24
Rules or no, I guess I'll give it a try.

My map will be a team based Hero Arena map with a King of the Hill basis.
(Other game modes might be added as well, but just King of the Hill for now.)
For now, the name is Necromancer, but I might still reconsider a different name.

Goal:
In the center of the map, there will be the crypt of the lich king, which is used as the hill.
The team that can control the hill for a total of 10 minutes (might change) will win the game.

Features:
Summoning:
Skeletons: At the start of the map, a set of graves will spawn (based on the number of players).
These graves will spawn corpses that can be raised to get skeletons.

Zombies: At the start of the map, a set of zombies will spawn (based on the number of players).
Necromancers can raise these zombies to fight for them. Once the zombie dies, it can be raised again (after a few seconds) to fight for another player.

More to come.

Level 9
Hi Guys, It's been so long since I made a new map. If I'm not too late, I plan to join this contest. Attached is my WIP 1. It's not much. I just wanna secure a slot. Please don't laugh at the terrain because I just literally started today. Good luck to all of us!

Attachments

• WIP 1.w3x
    102.5 KB · Views: 45
Level 8
After some deliberation, I have decide to sign up to this contest after all. :D

My plan is to create a mini-map (Codename: Deadwood) based on a fellow member's idea, The Font. I've spoken with him recently and he has given me the green light to go ahead and recreate his beloved map from scratch, bar the info he provided in his thread above. I'll come back and edit this post with some more details about the overall design of the map in the near future.

I haven't done any meaningful work on the terrain so I don't know if the following screenshots are worth it but I'll post them anyway. I've made some progress with the triggers (some basic setup stuff and such) but do I post the map or just the triggers? Again, there's not much to show other than the tower selection and some setup code.

full
full

I don't really come up with a good idea, and when ever I open editor, I have also usually other stuff on my list. :s
So I didn't work no more on the entry, and in case no nice idea comes suddenly in, probably won't. Good luck to others, hope you make something fun.:)
Why don't want to continue?

Level 11
I really want to join :p

I'm curious, the contest is called a 'Mini-Mapping' contest so... is there a limit on how grand my map can be? or?

After reading through and brainstorming my idea is a story based/RPG/Puzzle thing... still bouncing ideas around but something will come out of it

Level 13
Have been working on this but it's starting to have a lot of overlap with one of my old projects (which is something that's had about 20-30 hours work on) and it sort of makes no sense to continue with my submission (and instead to take the new nifty systems i have made and move them over to my bigger project :p).

I'm going to change my submission into something else that will probably be simpler (to save me time). Will post new WIPs when it has started to materialize!

Level 11
Introducing

Logo.png

JakeWhitehallpromo.png

Is a singleplayer story telling adventure map.

The map follows the story of Jake Whitehall, a Death Hunter who has been sent to a village on the border to the great kingdom.

His mission is to evaluate the rate of infection; to decide and carry out what he deems a necessary action.

Scouts from The Order of Death Hunters have already suggested that the village has been totally infected and the only action that needs taking is complete eradication.

Jake has arrived just before the village ready for combat. This is where our story takes place.

While Jake is evaluating the village he comes across a Necromancer. During this encounter something happens to Jake that changes everything about what he believes about Death and what happens to those infected...

Gameplay

It plays out like a dungeon crawler with WASD movement from an overhead perspective. Combat is not automatic for the player, you have to face the right direction and press the attack button (Or hotkey) to attack the enemy.

The map follows a linear pathway to an objective through story telling, combat and puzzles.

This is basically my beginning idea, thought I should share it.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Configured the hero AI to work with 8 heroes so far. All human and orc ones.
Normal units AI is completed in the sense that they move and attack, however I have have not made them cast their spells like the heroes. I plan to do this if I got time at the end though.

So once I have configured the waves that spawn my map should be playable.
Emphasis on playable, not finished.

Level 9
My External Hard Drive almost corrupted. Luckily I recovered my files. Having read the replies of others, it's best to post my WIPs here. Although most of you guys are experts, I'm not giving up without a fight. Good luck to all of us while having and giving fun with our creations...

Attachments

• WIP 2.w3x
    113.6 KB · Views: 43
  • WIP 3.w3x
    143.6 KB · Views: 37
  • WIP 4.w3x
    147.7 KB · Views: 35
  • WIP 5.w3x
    155.5 KB · Views: 38
Status
Not open for further replies.