• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Feedback] Compiled List of 1.28 Bugs & Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Please run and install the Blizzard App and ensure it's completely up to date. Then relaunch the "Warcraft III Launcher.exe" in your game installation folder and ensure that there is no update available? (Don't expect it to fix it, but I would like to ensure that all your local files are synchronized)
I just did launch it, Launcher only shown choice of TFT and RoC and there were no new updates yet. Game launched when i went with TFT, and it enters Bnet just fine, so it's up to date.
The other problem i noticed is faulty nativefullscreen, it doesnt make image centered with black bars on the side, but places it in top left corner and makes bottom and right black instead, additionaly Settings menu hangs forever and it seems to be Polish version's issue exclusively, others can open the settings and have issuew with visual tab in them. Looking forward for another reply :)

Level 9
Need 1000 new jass natives! :)

Why blizzard developers can't write it ?

Very simple and can't broke maps.
Just add new JASS natives, add function to natives list, add function to .j file with native list.

That now they are doing: create problems and do not give anything instead it....

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Need 1000 new jass natives! :)

Why blizzard developers can't write it ?

Very simple and can't broke maps.
Just add new JASS natives, add function to natives list, add function to .j file with native list.

That now they are doing: create problems and do not give anything instead it....
Please. It has been made clear that they desire to make all these changes. But first & foremost the very nature of 'making changes', the patching process, must itself be patched/fixed/brought-up-to-code. That way, they can make all those other changes we want, faster/more accurately/more responsively.

However, when messing with deep game-code stuff like "overhauling the patching system", some issues were bound to arise. No one said this would be painless. We're not asking you to stop having an opinion, but do read carefully & give them the benefit of the doubt.

Level 9
Adding new jass natives very easily, even without source code.

For example see Memory hack
Any of this function can be added to jass natives.

For example

Code:
function GetUnitArmorType takes unit u returns integer
    set LastConvertedHandle=ConvertHandle(u)
    if LastConvertedHandle>0 then
        return RMem(LastConvertedHandle + 0xE4)
    endif
    return 0
endfunction

Code:
__cdecl int GetUnitArmorType( int handle)
{
  CUnit * u =  ConvertHandle<CUnit>(handle);
  if (!u)
     return 0;
   return u->ArmorType;
}
JassThreadLocal::AddNativeFunc(..., "GetUnitArmorType", &GetUnitArmorType,"(Hunit;)I");
// and add function to jass code

Last edited:
Level 37
Adding new jass natives very easily, even without source code.
Sending the cupcakes your clients ordered in the 1884 La Marquise is not the way to go. Get a big truck with refigeration first, then send the cakes.

Also, as I mentioned before in some other thread:
...while all the impatient folks moan about things that haven't been implemented, I'll come back with party hats and cupcakes once Blizzard implements multi-screen support for the editor.

Reactions: pyf
Level 5
These 3 examples of code won't work in 1.28. I use it to store player-specific data (hero data for RPG), and then in next game it is loaded through Preloader("filename"). All players of my map have Allow Local Files enabled for it to work, but in 1.28 this code does nothing. I looked for created files in Documents and warcraft folder and found nothing. Should I wait for it to be fixed or changed to some alternative(write/read map-specific ini-files etc)?

JavaScript:
PreloadGenClear()
PreloadGenStart()
Preload("\" )\ncall SetPlayerTechMaxAllowed(Player(15),1,500)\n  //")
Preload("\" )\ncall SetPlayerTechMaxAllowed(Player(15),2,600)\n  //")
Preload("\" )\ncall SetPlayerTechMaxAllowed(Player(15),3,700)\n  //")
PreloadGenEnd("save2\\test.save")
endfunction

JavaScript:
PreloadGenClear()
PreloadGenStart()
PreloadGenEnd("test")
endfunction

JavaScript:
PreloadGenClear()
PreloadGenStart()
PreloadGenEnd("CustomGameData\\test") //this folder was used in 1.27 for Preload files
endfunction

Problem 2: Preloader() in 1.27 reads files only from 'CustomGameData' folder but completely ignores files directly imported to map or mpq archives, didn't test it in 1.28 because I can't even create files with PreloadGenEnd()

Last edited:
These 3 examples of code won't work in 1.28. I use it to store player-specific data (hero data for RPG), and then in next game it is loaded through Preloader("filename"). All players of my map have Allow Local Files enabled for it to work, but in 1.28 this code does nothing.

It's because local files no longer work in 1.28. It should probably be fixed in the upcoming hotfix.

Level 6
The key was be need only for connect to the battle.net network, now even for single player/worldediting ?

Or why patch can't download from blizzard ftp and install as old patches?

At the moment you can only download the patch through battle.net, abs0l.

Level 7
The key was be need only for connect to the battle.net network, now even for single player/worldediting ?

Or why patch can't download from blizzard ftp and install as old patches?
Not sure about it, I've become offline some times and was succesfull into gaming at the campaign, but I'll test it again and report if it checks out.

Level 9
Blizzard can adding feature to generate / draw ingame / add callback images ?

Memory hack (1.26a/1.27a support)

Users can using old patches but with new features, and just play pvpgn / lan servers.
At non-blizzard server with antihack possible to add protection from memhack. (only maps in white list can be hosted with using memhack)

Level 3
New Installer/Downloader need to be run in Windows 7 Compatibility Mode or a Runtime Error happens.

Widescreen (under Windows 10) is no longer supportet - WTF ?! Oo ? FIX this !

Account deleted after 2 months of inactivity - what a useless thing.

Maybe you can force Blizzard to do a better Job .. i mean they sell the Game still for the Full Price so we have the rights to become a better service.

Level 2
Warcraft 3 never had widescreen support, only horizontal streched to widescreen which looks horrible.
You can have it back if you uncheck 'Display aspected ratio' or whatever the option is called in the English version (the option is directly under the resolution options), in German 'Festes Seitenverhältnis' then you can set it to all possible resolutions your system is supporting.

Last edited:
Level 1
Polish version works propely now ingame, i didnt test world editor yet, but its probably fine aswell.
Actually, that's not true. While the options menu and the translations work properly, the resolution is still broken. I completely reinstalled the game and before applying the patch widescreen resolutions are available but after applying the patch the're gone and I can choose from 4:3 ones only.

HB.

HB.

Level 3
[Polish Warcraft / Windows XP 32bit / patches 1.28 - 1.28.2]

Gamma settings still blocked.

Alt-tabbing doesn't work (only switching between windows which doesn't stop the background music)

There is also a little problem with the graphics (they are a bit blurred). I will provide a screenshot tonight.

Source: a fellow Warcraft player

Last edited:

HB.

HB.

Level 3
Passing a message from a Czech player:
I still cant join bnet bc of that error: "Could not start the application launcher". Is it possible to fix it for CZE players?

Level 14
[1.28.2]Another piece of feedback from me.
I've noticed that since last patch whispering seems to be semi broken. It initially seems to work fine but after several whipsers to others i couldnt whisper anymore and i didnt even see my own whisper messages. It stood this way no matter how much time have passed. And it wasnt just limited to single person. I couldnt whisper at all. I presume that even notifications about me joining in to a game wouldnt be whispered to my friends.
It happened to me every time i was on bnet so far since the update. Usually after 15 or 20 messages i think.
I hope that my feedback helps you spot cause of it. Does anyone else suffer from this issue?

Level 5
They apparently added some kind of aggressive spam filtering. If you say something that gets filtered, your account gets muted for some duration. This only affects the account you were logged in as when you got muted.

For me, I notice this happen if I try to type in a URL into chat. For example, when in a private channel by myself, typing www.google.com and sending is enough to mute me. There may be other things besides links that trigger the filter.

Level 3
These 3 examples of code won't work in 1.28. I use it to store player-specific data (hero data for RPG), and then in next game it is loaded through Preloader("filename"). All players of my map have Allow Local Files enabled for it to work, but in 1.28 this code does nothing. I looked for created files in Documents and warcraft folder and found nothing. Should I wait for it to be fixed or changed to some alternative(write/read map-specific ini-files etc)?

PreloadGenEnd() now works only if the file suffix is either .pld or .txt. In previous versions if the file did not have a supported suffix, Preload would automatically suffix it with .pld, in 1.28.2 it simply fails to create it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Account deleted after 2 months of inactivity - what a useless thing.
BattleNet 1.0 accounts have always been automatically deleted after a few months of inactivity. It clearly states so in the ToU.

If the game's resolution is lower than your monitor and it has to stretch anything, it'll start anti-aliasing. This is most noticeable with text.
It does not start anti-aliasing... It starts to blur.

Anti-aliasing is the process of removing aliasing. Aliasing is the result of applying discrete sampling to a continuous (sampling) or higher frequency discrete (down sampling) source. Nyquist theorem states that the maximum frequency that can be sampled is equal to half the sampling rate frequency, the nyquist frequency. Any frequencies above the Nyquist frequency manifest themselves as aliases of frequencies below the Nyquist frequency, resulting in what is called aliasing. An anti-aliasing filter suppresses frequency aliasing, commonly by supressing frequencies above the Nyquist frequency before applying discrete sampling.

Up sampling/scaling does not suffer from aliasing as there are no frequencies above the new Nyquist frequency in the sampling source. However the resulting samples lack high frequency information as the sampling source lacked such frequencies due to being limited by a lower Nyquist frequency. In the case of images this manifests itself as blur, or a perceptual lack of sharpness.

Anti-aliasing does not degrade sharpness. In fact it even improves clarity as it removes ugly aliasing. Aliasing appears as unnatural discontinuities as a result of impossibly high frequency information having been shifted to a lower frequency and interfering with the actual content at that frequency.

They apparently added some kind of aggressive spam filtering. If you say something that gets filtered, your account gets muted for some duration. This only affects the account you were logged in as when you got muted.
Spam bots have always been annoying. It is about time they do something to limit them.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I take issue with you calling aliasing ugly :p Though it depends on the circumstance.
Aliasing is ugly because it has properties similar to noise (interferers with frequency components).
*mutters about ugly upscaled sprites in "HD" rereleases of old games*
Those will not have aliasing as they are being up scaled. The sprites themselves should not have aliasing unless the game developers did something very wrong.

Level 14
[Polish Warcraft / Windows XP 32bit / patches 1.28 - 1.28.2]

Gamma settings still blocked.

Alt-tabbing doesn't work (only switching between windows which doesn't stop the background music)

There is also a little problem with the graphics (they are a bit blurred). I will provide a screenshot tonight.

Source: a fellow Warcraft player
Its because of now default windowed mode. You cant adjust gamma or alttab propely without setting it back to native fullscreen by adding command to shortcuts path.

Level 1
Ok, so I installed WC3 from disks that I've purchased years ago. Manually updated to V1.28 - everything is great. Played a few games with friends over Tunngle, played a few custom maps etc. Works great.

Then decided that I wanted to hop on Battle Net and see whats up there. The game goes to update itself to V1.28.(different version of 1.28 I guess?) So everything works as normal, but now the game runs choppy AF. As if someone locked my framerate 30fps or something? I'm guessing it's something to do with the whole "oh look, you can Alt Enter into windowed mode now" - which was absolutely worthless for me. The other difference I can see, is under Video settings, you no longer have 99% of the resolution options any more - which are now "locked". You can disable aspect ration which gives you your normal resolutions back - but again, very limited, and really no idea if this is relevant too.

So my question is this - is there any way to keep the crappy "launcher" version of WC3 that allows me to connect to battlenet, but use the old version of WC3 when it comes to "non windowed-able" UI? Is it an issue with locked fps? Anyone else got this issue and managed to fix it in some way? Anyone at all? :(

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Anyone at all?
Everything works fine for me. I can give you some suggestions though.

Start the latest version of the game with the "-nativefullscr" command line flag to return it to exclusive full screen mode rather than full screen windowed mode. The game will only list resolutions advertised by your GPU, and only 4:3 like resolutions when correct aspect ratio is used. Do note that WC3 is a 4:3 game so any resolution with an aspect ratio than 4:3 will look bad.

Level 1
Everything works fine for me. I can give you some suggestions though.

Start the latest version of the game with the "-nativefullscr" command line flag to return it to exclusive full screen mode rather than full screen windowed mode. The game will only list resolutions advertised by your GPU, and only 4:3 like resolutions when correct aspect ratio is used. Do note that WC3 is a 4:3 game so any resolution with an aspect ratio than 4:3 will look bad.

Thank you - tried the command line, but the game can still be windowed from in game. Will see if performance is a bit better, but skeptical it would have fixed the problem.

Also, been playing it since when it was released, and never had an issue with how it looks in widescreen to be honest :)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
but the game can still be windowed from in game
Not sure what you mean by this...
Also, been playing it since when it was released, and never had an issue with how it looks in widescreen to be honest :)
The projection matrix is distorted. Place a perfect cube in game using a wide screen resolution and you will see. Depending on the orientation of the camera, some surfaces will not appear square (all surfaces must appear square on a cube). All UI icons are also rectangular instead of square.

Level 13
Wisps use upgrade 'Rewd' (which doesnt exist) by default, along with ultravision. I dont remember them using any other upgrade before, so it probably doesnt do anything by being there

Interesting, I've never noticed that until I read your comment. So I tried to search for it on Warcraft III Beta mpq, and there's no Rewd. However I noticed that there was a "Wisp Healing" upgrade and ability.

Perhaps that's just the old Renew ability, or an upgraded version of it.

Upgrade:
Code:
[Rewh]
Name=Wisp Healing
Tip=Research Wisp |cfffed312H|realing
Ubertip="Gives Wisps the ability to heal units and Night Elf buildings."
Hotkey=H,H

Ability:
Code:
//=========================================
// NightElfAbilityStrings file
[Awhe]
Tip=Hea|cfffed312l|r
Ubertip="Heals nearby friendly wounded units."
Untip="Right-click to activate auto-casting."
Unubertip="Right-click to deactivate auto-casting."
Hotkey=L
Unhotkey=L

// NightElfAbilityFunc file
[Awhe]
Art=ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNWispHealOn.tga
Unart=ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNWispHealOff.tga
Buttonpos=2,2
Unbuttonpos=2,2
Requires=Rewh
Casterart=
Targetart=Abilities\Spells\Human\Heal\HealTarget.mdl
Unit:
Code:
// NightElfUnitStrings file
[ewsp]
Name=Wisp
Hotkey=W
Tip=Train |cfffed312W|risp
Ubertip="Basic worker unit. Can turn into treants which are the buildings of the Night Elves. Can Detonate to dispel magical buffs in an area. Can learn the Heal ability."

OFF: I also found what barkskin does, even though it's a little bit obvious judging from its existing icon.
Code:
[Abar]
Tip=Activate |cfffed312B|rarkskin
Ubertip="Increases defense by 2."
Hotkey=B
Unhotkey=B

[Bbar]
Bufftip=Barkskin

[Abar]
Art=ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNBarkskinOn.tga
Unart=ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNBarkskinOff.tga
Buttonpos=0,2
Unbuttonpos=0,2

[Bbar]
Buffart=ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNBarkskin.tga
Targetart=Abilities\Spells\NightElf\Barkskin\BarkSkinTarget.mdl
Targetattach=chest

[edcm]
Name=Druid of the Claw
Hotkey=C
Tip=Train Druid of the |cfffed312C|rlaw
Ubertip="Melee spellcaster. Can cast Barkskin, which is a damage shield. Can also go into Bear Form."

Last edited:
Level 1
Windows 10 64bit fully updated. East USA Servers

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 159

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Interesting, I've never noticed that until I read your comment. So I tried to search for it on Warcraft III Beta mpq, and there's no Rewd. However I noticed that there was a "Wisp Healing" upgrade and ability.

Perhaps that's just the old Renew ability, or an upgraded version of it.

Upgrade:
Code:
[Rewh]
Name=Wisp Healing
Tip=Research Wisp |cfffed312H|realing
Ubertip="Gives Wisps the ability to heal units and Night Elf buildings."
Hotkey=H,H

Ability:
Code:
[Awhe]
Tip=Hea|cfffed312l|r
Ubertip="Heals nearby friendly wounded units."
Hotkey=L
Unhotkey=L

[Awhe]
Art=ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNWispHealOn.tga
Unart=ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNWispHealOff.tga
Buttonpos=2,2
Unbuttonpos=2,2
Requires=Rewh
Casterart=
Targetart=Abilities\Spells\Human\Heal\HealTarget.mdl
Unit:
Code:
[ewsp]
Name=Wisp
Hotkey=W
Tip=Train |cfffed312W|risp
Ubertip="Basic worker unit. Can turn into treants which are the buildings of the Night Elves. Can Detonate to dispel magical buffs in an area. Can learn the Heal ability."

OFF: I also found what barkskin does, even though it's a little bit obvious judging from its existing icon.
Code:
[Abar]
Tip=Activate |cfffed312B|rarkskin
Ubertip="Increases defense by 2."
Hotkey=B
Unhotkey=B

[Bbar]
Bufftip=Barkskin

[Abar]
Art=ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNBarkskinOn.tga
Unart=ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNBarkskinOff.tga
Buttonpos=0,2
Unbuttonpos=0,2

[Bbar]
Buffart=ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNBarkskin.tga
Targetart=Abilities\Spells\NightElf\Barkskin\BarkSkinTarget.mdl
Targetattach=chest

[edcm]
Name=Druid of the Claw
Hotkey=C
Tip=Train Druid of the |cfffed312C|rlaw
Ubertip="Melee spellcaster. Can cast Barkskin, which is a damage shield. Can also go into Bear Form."
Wait, that's very cool... How did you get Barkskin to work?

Level 25
After a successful migration I have multiple entries for every custom campaign, map, savegame etc. in my "Documents" folder. Maybe they are from some failed migrations before. The folder is 4 GiBytes big.
Maybe the migration tool should delete the files which have not been moved successfully when the migration fails?

The files are named like "Heroes02(1)(1).w3n"

Level 3
Preloader seems to work correctly again in 1.28.5 as long as the file suffix is either .pld or .txt (previously it tried to load from the wrong directory).

Status
Not open for further replies.