• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cinematic Contest #7 - Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Looking good. :)

If voice acting is not an option, you can easily get away with sound effects/music/voices from WoW or other sources, although it gets difficult if dialogue take part. Even the simplest sound effects during silent dialogue may do wonders, for example, quick and short Unit sound effect at start of dialogue, it would already indicate that a dialogue takes part. In the end it all narrows down to the type of cinematic, message and action can be portrayed without sound or any dialogue if that works for the creator.

Level 14
Alright, my second WIP.

cc7-wip02-jpg.292891

Thanks! :D

Oh, nice! I have no knowledge about voice acting, I have to make my cinematic without sound. XD
Oh nice loving each and everyone's work's!

Good Luck!

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Alright, my cinematic is mostly finished.
All voice lines are playing in the correct order
Camera is working as it should on all scenes
Terrain is probably 90%+ done

My main concern right now is merely sound effects for more immersion.

Right now I am at 10:30 minutes~ made in 375 lines of code, not including the helper functions / libraries I wrote.
It is above the limit, but that is mainly thanks to a small bug in my code which has a 3-10 second delay between each scene. If I bother to fix that, it should go down below the limit.

Level 14
Two more WIPs.

cc7-wip04-jpg.293138

The battle scene seemed fine, but I hope to see this one improved later, as the custom pillars and flooring/walls need to better harmonize with the texture quality and hue differences, since as of right now the differences are rather jarring, and makes it very obvious that they don't belong together :)

Try not to overdo the landscape with too many different biomes, I see a small patch of "beach" there with a palm tree, I'm guessing this is the entrance of Stratholme, so I find that sandy shore there kinda unfitting, though I'm guessing a good ambient coloring could fix that.

The other wips seemed rather fine, but I hope to see more of them as well.

Level 16
I may have 'time' to develop a cinematic. I have a request though. I would prefer to upload a YouTube video as the final submission. I prefer to do sound editing and cut scenes from a video editing program, rather than within Warcraft 3. I could upload the source maps, but it would be a collection of maps not intended for viewing by the average audience. If this isn't allowed, I may upload an unofficial video for fun.

Level 16
I would only use simple edits and additions in which most if not all would be possible within the Warcraft 3 engine itself. I'll wait for the judge's opinion. A third party video editting would allow easier timing on sound effects and allow me to easily add or remove scenes on the fly.

Level 31
Radicool, your final submission has to be in form of Warcraft 3 map just like for everyone else. Considering this is Warcraft 3 cinematic contest it would be slightly unfair to enhance the final submission with outside tools. It would truly be no problem if the final submission is recorded and posted on youtube (especally for resolution issues that a new patch may present), but youtube video cannot be considered as final submission, your posted map shall be it. Of course you can improve it and post it as well, but only original version (map with/without recorded video of the map) may be considered as a submission.

As for the special effects and sound effects, a lot is possible, not everyhing surely. Any sound effects can be used, custom fade filters for effects as well, of course it would require more work to get it all done, but this is how ability to make a cinematic in Warcraft 3 engine is measured.

I hope I did not let you down, looking forward to your cinematic, it was a pretty cool one during last cinematic contest. :)

Level 14
As APProject said, this is a Warcraft III Cinematic Contest, we're meant to judge your capabilities using the wc3 editor tool to create beautiful cinematics, using third party tools outside the editor to enhance it would be unfair for everyone else.
You can use custom music, custom filters, custom textures, anything that the editor itself allows you to import and use, and be viewed in-game.
The YouTube submission is merely to ensure consistency in the map's performance in our games and the "actual" product, so to speak, which is how your game portrays it.

That said, you don't need such third party tools to make a great cinematic, so don't feel bummed out about it, working with what you have only is how you can show your true potential with limited resources.

Level 16
Here's an early work in progress to give an insight to my cinematic's setting. Looking at the preview, I think I need to fill in some of the space at my marketplace.

preview-2-jpg.293887

I'm still tempted to submit a standalone video even if it disqualifies me :p

Edit: Some small changes to scenery.

Last edited:
Level 31
Great WIPs, guys.

Radicool, you can make videos and improve them for better experience and so on, no one is going to disqualify you for that, but your submittion for the contest has to be a map with/without recorded original cinematic. Looking forward to that, looking interesting from the WIP. :)

I am sure you can, Sclammerz, hopefully your effort is not going to be wasted. :)

Level 22
I want to join so badly but I honestly have no idea what kind of story I should make for the current theme and I have a project at the moment.
Regardless, this is surely very interesting with all those amazing WIPs. I can't wait to see the final entries. I wish a good luck for everyone!

Cheers!

Level 14
Here's an early work in progress to give an insight to my cinematic's setting. Looking at the preview, I think I need to fill in some of the space at my marketplace.

preview-2-jpg.293887

I'm still tempted to submit a standalone video even if it disqualifies me :p

Edit: Some small changes to scenery.

I'm sure you can use anything to fill in that empty space you mean :) Cliffs, houses, river, etc.

Though what I'm noticing in both of these wips is the lack of elevations on the overall terrain (Save for that tiny section on the top left which I'm guessing it's a cliff), use the grid if you need help with elevations, but flat terrains are generally an eye sore in beautiful enviroments, so I hope this gets improved.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
So I have not worked a whole lot on my cinematic since it was more or less finished.
I took a 2-ish week break and came back with a fresh mind.

Turns out there are things I could improve on.

Today I added an additional camera shot in 3 scenes along with some terrain updates. (14 scenes in total)

Tomorrow I will go over the rest of the scenes to do the same thing.

Level 21
I have some questions!

First, it says the max time limit is 10 min, does that include the closing credits as well? Or am I allowed to create a 12 min cinematic with 2 min of credits?

Second, are we allowed to protect our maps? To not spoil, break immersion, etc.

Third, are we allowed to upload the maps to the resource section as well? I mean before the contest is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.