• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cinematic Contest #7 - Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
user160036_pic59500_1342547064-png.244360

cinematic.png
contest.png
number.png
7.png

clock-noon-time.jpg

Time
Contestants are to create a cinematic (between 3 and 10 minutes) on theme of Time. This could be a cinematic about time travel, the exploration of the concept of time itself or anything related to any definition of Time you can find.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • You must show at least two instances of progress, for example a screenshot, a video or part of the cinematic map.
  • Your submission may not be started before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges are not allowed to participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed - you have to work on your own as well.
  • Your cinematic has to be between 3 and 10 minutes in length (The entry length will not decide the winner).
  • Custom material is allowed, but has to be credited (see judging criteria).
  • Your map must be posted before the end of the deadline.
  • The is no restriction to the file's size.

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

prizes.png

• 1st place: 50 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 35 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 20 reputation points
  • Entry: 5 reputation points
  • Judge: 10 reputation points
The three winning contestants will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.​

contest%20judging.png

Story

• Pacing
  • Dialogues (if not explicitly excluded from the contest's theme)
  • Plot
/40

Terrain

• Concept
    • Execution
    • Attractiveness

/20

Audio & Visuals

• Visuals Control
  • Lighting
  • Music
  • Sound Effects
  • Voice Acting
/20

Camera & Technical Competence

• Camera Control
    • Camera Effects
    • Scenes Acquisition

/20

/100

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*JudgeScore/100)

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

The contest shall begin on 20th of February and conclude on 19th of April GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: KILLCIDE

Level 14
Ah, so finally approved. I'm still confused about the theme. What should we make? A cinematic representing time travel or something like that?
Hmm well not to spicific with the word "Time" but it should be like that time travel or other things related to time like what you already said time travel and make sure that the cinematic is related to Time and should there be no other theme but "Time"

Get creative with the story! Good Luck!

Level 11
So normally I avoid contests and such because of extreme disinterest (no fault of Hive per se- I'm just proudly ignorant/allergic to them in general, I don't know what even golden globe/emmy/oscars things are either) but this one sort of coincides with something I'd want to do anyway, so it could serve as a good project push maybe.

However I'm going to be that guy that says that even though the theme is time.... 1 month is much too little of it for a cinematic with everything else I have going on. Briefly looking at a few of the past contests- it seems they usually allowed 6 weeks to 3 months to complete- which I'd think is more reasonable.

I usually like to push boundaries and normally have a blatant disregard to rigid rules but I suppose I should get clarification from things in the beginning before considering.
Can I make my cinematic interactive (ie. dialogue choice)? Can I have short playable segments (ie. briefly control a character and make him go from point a to point b/c which triggers more cinematic)? What qualifies as cinematic? Cinematic mode? Fixed camera?

Suggestion: I could make a timer for these actions to take place under (if the player doesn't respond by 30 sec it'll automatically switch to the next thing) so that the whole thing will remain under 10 mins (but also not counting the 'interactive time' towards the minimum 3 mins so it's fair).

Level 14
@Alethos The cinematic can't be interactive. What you are wishing for would is something between a cinematic contest and a map-making contest. Maybe one day we could make a story map contest that would allow for such things but today it's a pure cinematic contest.
However, I agree that the time frame is too short for this contest, I will extend it by 2 weeks.

Level 11
Ah that sucks but it's okay- thanks for the reply. I guess I could still try to do just the cinematic stuff for the contest and then afterwards adding the interactive elements afterward. I'm not sure if/how I'm going to proceed but I'm still thinking about it.

Also @ time thing: I think it's important to reevaluate during the contest and be flexible if needed. 6 weeks seems fine for now. It pushes for those to complete in time but also if not enough entries are in place Wareeditor may revisit an extension.

Level 31
Thank you Wareditor for considering me. Took place in the last two cinematic contests as the participant, this time slightly different role.

Perhaps would have tried to participate once again, but the theme did not ring any bell at the first glance. Hopefully we will get a chance to witness some great art. I would also agree with Daffa about 2 months period, considering many joins halfways in the contest and time may be the problem. However, making a cinematic is tough and many may start, but not finish.

Wish you all motivation and passion of creating art.

Level 14
So looking at the 1.29 patch notes I realized this is gonna be bad news for cinematics, due to the wide screen implementation, you'll now have to make sure you also terrain those areas now visible in wide screen to avoid leaving off awkward empty areas.

And unless you have a wide screen (Which most people do anyways) you won't be able to fix that

Not sure if the patch will go live before the deadline of this contest, but I guess we could make an exception and (at worst case) judge the cinematics using a no higher version than 1.28

Just thought I'd share this info with you guys, you might find it useful for future contests :)

Level 19
Here are two new WIP's bcz I feel hyped, and that'll be all from me for today.

streetview-png.292524

aerialview-png.292525

This street view is fine in WE, but ingame it becomes a bit obsolete because of the default dark fog of the game which prevents vision. I'll be glad to hear suggestions for this.

Attachments

• StreetView.png
    StreetView.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 335
  • aerialview.png
    aerialview.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 352
Level 31
Great WIPs, guys.

Chaosy, watch out for that border of the map. If that border is not going to be visible during cinematic, it will be perfectly fine, but in case it does, rule of thumb is to start in the middle of the map or far away from the border. See what suits you best, just a tip. :)

Level 31
Can we just make a cinematic about the past (No time travel, etc)?
You can indeed, but the theme itself has to be orientated about Time, the messege should be about Time, any concept of Time works according to the rules. Just making a cinematic based on medieval setting might not work, unless it is some sort of historical recreation, I guess then it would bring up the subject of time in some way. I think you get my point, the theme of Time must not be lost. Great WIP. :)

You can indeed, but the theme itself has to be orientated about Time, the messege should be about Time, any concept of Time works according to the rules. Just making a cinematic based on medieval setting might not work, unless it is some sort of historical recreation, I guess then it would bring up the subject of time in some way. I think you get my point, the theme of Time must not be lost
Understood.
Great WIP. :)
Thank you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.