• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 1.28 Pre-patch PSA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also want an answer to Misha's question. In addition I really want to know how this affects our ability to use certain tools. For example WC3 Viewer user allows us to access mpq files within the game in order to extract mdx files, blp files, etc. But if the mpq files are being integrated into their new system, how will we access those files?

To add on to that, how will this affect custom models and textures? Will they still be mdx and blp?

There's so many more questions I want answers to. Will they be changing how triggers work? So many custom maps will break if they do.

What exactly is this patch doing? Is it supposed to be an HD Remaster aka better graphics and models? And how does that affect our modeling community? For years now, our modelers on this site have created models in a way that fit WC3 style. Models have always been lightweight, usually 300kb or lower, but now we could possibly have HD WC3 models so all those custom models made throughout the years will look archaic and obsolete. The same could be said for custom Skins as well. I just can't see that being very healthy to our community. This also presents another problem, if the standard for model creation becomes HD, then any new custom models you can expect to reach 1mb or higher in file size, adding that all up, the new 128mb limit for maps isn't as colossal as it seems.

Yes Wc3 was getting terribly old, I understand that, but that is exactly what I liked about it. I could always come back and know that nothing has changed and get back to what I was working on before. For a long time I have been working on a map, and I have waited patiently to make sure I get it just right (I also work very slow) before I release it. My main concern is that I have absolutely no idea how much of an impact this patch will have and I fear the worst: that it will ruin what I have been working on for so long.

As stated above there are no planned changes to how resources function.

This patch is not a graphical patch. It's all back-end functionality. Please refer to the OP. MPQ's will remain accessible.

Long term graphics updates will occur and that will mean older resources will begin to look out of place. That is unavoidable if the community wants Sc2 level graphics, which it does. The good news is that current models can be upgraded via skins as Traggey has shown us.

Level 7

This patch is not a graphical patch. It's all back-end functionality. Please refer to the OP. MPQ's will remain accessible.

Long term graphics updates will occur and that will mean older resources will begin to look out of place. That is unavoidable if the community wants Sc2 level graphics, which it does. The good news is that current models can be upgraded via skins as Traggey has shown us.

I see. Well, that being the case, my fears have been alleviated.

well, as long as my resources remain functional, the way i make them, i'm all fine :) and people can always update textures

Level 12
Hahahah, these comments are just depressing. How can you guys be so negative! This community seems like a house full of senior citizens. All so afraid of change. You guys are making it sound like the classics team will be releasing a patch that LITERALLY DESTROYS EVERYTHING YOU LOVE.

Here is a grain of salt for some of you. This team, has active discussions with HIVE moderators (who I assume have expressed some of our concerns with the coming patch). Which means that any modding tool that inadvertently gets broken will be reported or at least receive the attention of this new classic team.

Level 19
Hahahah, these comments are just depressing. How can you guys be so negative! This community seems like a house full of senior citizens. All so afraid of change. You guys are making it sound like the classics team will be releasing a patch that LITERALLY DESTROYS EVERYTHING YOU LOVE.

Here is a grain of salt for some of you. This team, has active discussions with HIVE moderators (who I assume have expressed some of our concerns with the coming patch). Which means that any modding tool that inadvertently gets broken will be reported or at least receive the attention of this new classic team.
you ain't map creator, you can't neither feel it, neither understand. improper patching is always bad thing, especially with the way blizz took here

Level 7
We can always stay on an old patch :|

My friends and i play in 1.27b
Then i go to Gameranger and switch it to 1.26a in 5 clicks

At the end of the day, we decide which version to play, and we don't REALLY need the official servers to play

Level 15
This thread is useful only for one thing: to learn that next time publish news about upcoming patches based on official corroborable content from Blizzard instead of chatting information.

I know Kam is serious when he talks about WC3, but please: for the other staff in charge of news, falling in the gossip is a big no no. It only shows a lack of seriousness.

Level 30
Y'all do realize they're trying to get a 15 years old game step up to today's standards, while still trying to be both innovative and to preserve as much as possible without causing damage to already existing stuff?

I, for once, am excited about these news, happy to see that Blizzard has decided to spend some time retouching a game that isn't as nearly as profitable nowadays as some of their more recent creations.

But then again, there's a fine line between being afraid that the upcoming patch might break stuff, and between just being a sour bitch.

To conclude, by integrating a new patching device it will allow for much more frequent "on the spot" fixes which will not call for server downs, scheduled maintenance, and will usually go past in a flinch of an eye. This means a more pro-active response from Blizzard, as they genuinely seem interested on trying to achieve some higher goal we, the Hive users, have set up as a "wish list". It goes both ways, really.

Last edited:
Y'all do realize they're trying to get a 15 years old game step up to today's standards, while still trying to be both innovative and to preserve as much as possible without causing damage to already existing stuff?

I, for once, am excited about these news, happy to see that Blizzard has decided to spend some time retouching a game that isn't as nearly as profitable nowadays as some of their more recent creations.

But then again, there's a fine line between being afraid that the upcoming patch might break stuff, and between just being a sour bitch.

To conclude, by integrating a new patching device it will allow for much more frequent "on the spot" fixes which will not call for server downs, scheduled maintenance, and will usually go past in a flinch of an eye. This means a more pro-active response from Blizzard, as they genuinely seem interested on trying to achieve some higher goal we, the Hive users, have set up as a "wish list". It goes both ways, really.

I'm with you there, Aph :) although i'm a bit on the cautious side

Level 32
This thread is useful only for one thing: to learn that next time publish news about upcoming patches based on official corroborable content from Blizzard instead of chatting information.

I know Kam is serious when he talks about WC3, but please: for the other staff in charge of news, falling in the gossip is a big no no. It only shows a lack of seriousness.
Hey, moyack, I don't quite understand. What do you mean by falling in the gossip? If you're referring to some of the staff responding to those complaining, I guess you have a point in that we could ignore some of it.
Though if you're referring to the thread itself, Kam, brad_c6, and I forged the post. It isn't gossip. It's a PSA so people who want to keep their modified files will know to back them up if they choose patch the game. This is pretty much one of the only communities where a handful of people are modifying these things, besides hacking communities.

Pretty much this. Thanks Aph. Basically, everyone has a right to their own opinion. And it is very fair to be highly concerned, and even frustrated. But saying over and over that "Warcraft 3 will die" or "Blizzard will ruin everything" isn't contribution, really. I think we can all agree on that, no matter your opinion on the patch - which isn't even out yet.

Level 15
Hey, moyack, I don't quite understand. What do you mean by falling in the gossip? If you're referring to some of the staff responding to those complaining, I guess you have a point in that we could ignore some of it.
Though if you're referring to the thread itself, Kam, brad_c6, and I forged the post. It isn't gossip. It's a PSA so people who want to keep their modified files will know to back them up if they choose patch the game. This is pretty much one of the only communities where a handful of people are modifying these things, besides hacking communities.
To the point: if you don't have a link to refer from Blizzard to support this news and recommendations, please don't post anything. That's the thing. This thread is making you looking bad. That you post news just for posting or passing the time. Give references and proofs and that's all, as you have done when the patch 1.27b was in the release process.

Level 32
To the point: if you don't have a link to refer from Blizzard to support this news and recommendations, please don't post anything. That's the thing. This thread is making you looking bad. That you post news just for posting or passing the time. Give references and proofs and that's all, as you have done when the patch 1.27b was in the release process.
Ah, I see what you mean. It's not just a thread for passing time. It's meant for people to know of something important before the patch.

There's no source because this isn't on the official battle.net forums. It's not on the BNet because it was not necessary for it to be posted there, and most would not understand it since most that roam there are melee players. It's an announcement that brad_c6, Blizzard employee, helped us make, since he knows that the modding community should know before hand.

We also understand the consequences. Of course we expected some negative reaction. However, in the end, we felt that people should definitely know of this in the modding community before the patch is dropped.

Last edited:
Level 26
The new system synchronizes the official blizzard files (mpqs, exes, dlls, w3ms, w3xs, etc), which means that if you modified any of those files on your computer, all of your changes WILL BE LOST WHEN YOU APPLY THE PATCH!

Does this imply that if I update Warcraft 3 to the latest version, it'll do a complete wipe of my computer's map files? This is the only thing that worries me about the patch. Or is this referring to only the default files that comes with the program when you install it? As in the campaigns and scenarios?

Because I got too many map files on my computer to count and backing them up would be like copying a gig or two of pure map files, just to back them up, which sounds rather stressful.

Does this imply that if I update Warcraft 3 to the latest version, it'll do a complete wipe of my computer's map files? This is the only thing that worries me about the patch. Or is this referring to only the default files that comes with the program when you install it? As in the campaigns and scenarios?

Because I got too many map files on my computer to count and backing them up would be like copying a gig or two of pure map files, just to back them up, which sounds rather stressful.

Only Blizzard assets are being affected.

Level 2
In first of all, I should say: "Great news everyone!"

And it is so. AFAIK, SC2 did hit required revenue, but not much more than that (due to early publish policy, I believe), so we shouldn't wait for something like "WarCraft 4" in the nearby future.

Reworked WarCraft 3 (everything points at it) is a good alternative, which would satisfy mapmakers as well as players and will give relatively easy start for the next generation of game developers, I hope. (Almost half of my collegues grew from WC3 mapmaking/modelling, for example).

Wc3 is going to have a long life moving forward.

Glad to see that. Obviously, you have signed NDA, but is there something that you can say about roadmap or some other details (how many people works on project, for example)? Just curiosity =)

I understand this process is frustrating. You all need to understand that this game was created for Windows 98. It is currently being rebuilt in nearly every way. This means that back-end work must happen before "exciting" changes like melee balance adjustments. The pro community and a number of other people are working with Blizzard to insure this process happens correctly. You also need to understand that no company has ever revived a 15 year old game to match current day standards out of pocket. This is a learning process for them as well. Their goal is not to destroy the scene, statements like that are foolish.

I would like suggest you to ignore aggressive/offensive posts here (especially ones without questions), those guys will remain angry even after your explanations. Drago1ich, for example, spent ton of time abusing mem-hack and he won't understand why it was patched.

We have not discussed any alterations to how models, textures, or icons will function.

I can suggest to take a look at this (here is some more, but in Russian). This looks amazing and you can find some inspiration from work of this guy =)

Btw, do you know anything about "Heroes of Azeroth"? If yes, what do you think about it in order to your work?
(Your "if community wants Sc2 level graphics, which it does" sounds like you saw HoA much more than one time :D)

Level 2
Wait, will programs like JNPG that is in that folder be affected by this patch? After all, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't JNPG need to access some of the default files to function?
You can install JNGP anywhere you want to (and if you have it in /Warcraft III/, I strongly recommend to move it somewhere else), so it won't be affected by patch.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I can suggest to take a look at this (here is some more, but in Russian). This looks amazing and you can find some inspiration from work of this guy =)
Not viable due to excessively raising system requirements. It would be like dropping 32 bit support for Warcraft III (something Blizzard plans for all their non-classic games in the near future).

Btw, do you know anything about "Heroes of Azeroth"? If yes, what do you think about it in order to your work?
(Your "if community wants Sc2 level graphics, which it does" sounds like you saw HoA much more than one time :D)
SC2 graphics are very demanding, probably too demanding for most of the remaining WC3 players.

It is far more important that they lift the mipmap dimension limit when loading BLP files to allow for mipmap levels with dimensions above 512*512 to be loaded and used. In simple terms, add support for high resolution custom textures.

Level 2
SC2 graphics are very demanding, probably too demanding for most of the remaining WC3 players.
Even for 2009 it wasn't too demanding, dunno.
Huge portion of models from HoA were made for Wc3 due first idea of HoA were graphic upgrade for Wc3, not "Wc3 in Sc2".
Not viable due to excessively raising system requirements. It would be like dropping 32 bit support for Warcraft III (something Blizzard plans for all their current games in the distant future).
Author of RE have no access to graphic engine code so he use hook to replace default Wc3 render. I talked with him once, he have not so great PC and still have 60 fps (on old screenshots it was 3~9 fps, but now it's much improved) so you can't tell requirements of his solution due he doesn't know it by himself.
Btw, his solution supports up to 4k textures.

//meh, he reminds me good old times when we used to read byte-code of Wc3 in runtime in order to know how to use jass properly...

Last edited:
Level 13
Blizzard is actually has to do to update the game better than everyone else
Regardless of what they presumably do, if the ride is too rough, it's arguably better not to go down it.

I believe that is the actual argument for the oppositions of Blizzard's Patches. it is a reasonable argument. Limiting what Editors can do in multiple ways is SUPER disheartening.

Breaking custom maps would kill the scene too.

Can not stress enough how true this is. RIP

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Even for 2009 it wasn't too demanding, dunno.
StarCraft II physically burned out many 8800GT graphic cards due to excessive power consumption. Although not an issue on modern graphic cards, it still needs a decent modern graphic card (something most WC3 players lack)
. To achieve this level of graphics the engine would need to be heavily modified.

Huge portion of models from HoA were made for Wc3 due first idea of HoA were graphic upgrade for Wc3, not "Wc3 in Sc2".
SC2 uses more modern graphic concepts that are not supported by WC3 compatible graphic cards.

Author of RE have no access to graphic engine code so he use hook to replace default Wc3 render. I talked with him once, he have not so great PC and still have 60 fps (on old screenshots it was 3~9 fps, but now it's much improved) so you can't tell requirements of his solution due he doesn't know it by himself.
Btw, his solution supports up to 4k textures.
WC3 uses the fixed functional pipeline of OpenGL/D3D. It has no high level shaders to modify.

Lack of high resolution texture support is due to a problem loading large mipmap levels from BLP files. I hope they fix this next patch.

Level 2
StarCraft II physically burned out many 8800GT graphic cards due to excessive power consumption. Although not an issue on modern graphic cards, it still needs a decent modern graphic card (something most WC3 players lack)
. To achieve this level of graphics the engine would need to be heavily modified.

SC2 uses more modern graphic concepts that are not supported by WC3 compatible graphic cards.

WC3 uses the fixed functional pipeline of OpenGL/D3D. It has no high level shaders to modify.

Lack of high resolution texture support is due to a problem loading large mipmap levels from BLP files. I hope they fix this next patch.

It looks like we didn't understand each other.
Thanks for sharing your opinion, but let's just wait for answer from developer, OK? :)

I know lot enough about Warcraft, maybe even more than you, so try to not present obvious things like it should be something new for me, please. Thank you.

Reactions: pyf
Well they have already done a lot for custom games, destroying memory bug and disabling or is it suppose to be called patching features away from us?

To be fair, the memory hack was discovered by leandrotp, and it was fixed exactly as leandrotp proposed in his bug report:
Memory hack

You could've done the same thing back in the day with the return bug (although it might've been more limited). Either way, the fix makes sense. Being able to execute arbitrary code is the holy grail for hackers, even if we were trying to use it benevolently.

Finally, Blizzard will stop support pvpgn servers in Warcraft III?
And will limit for any mpq modifications?

Nah this patch won't limit MPQ modifications. Just back them up, and if you want to reapply those changes after patching--nothing is stopping you. And I don't see how it'll affect PvPGN servers.

Wait, will programs like JNPG that is in that folder be affected by this patch? After all, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't JNPG need to access some of the default files to function?

JNGP should be fine. It doesn't modify the MPQ's, except to display English window titles and to remove the editor sounds. But those are applied each time the editor opens, so it should be fine. :)

Any custom folders, custom maps, etc. won't be touched, even if you have Blizzard's files within them.

Regardless of what they presumably do, if the ride is too rough, it's arguably better not to go down it.

I believe that is the actual argument for the oppositions of Blizzard's Patches. it is a reasonable argument. Limiting what Editors can do in multiple ways is SUPER disheartening.

That's true, and it's definitely a valid concern!

But so far the arguments against them have mostly been based on two things: (1) worrying about what they will do (2) worrying about what they won't do. Nothing is wrong with that, but at the end of the day they are presumptions.

If anything, it makes Warcraft 3 feel alive even more! No game is truly alive unless you have people worrying about patches and claiming it is dead! :D

My personal thoughts: I would've been more concerned if this were 2008 or so where we got like one random patch in a blue moon that would mess up stuff. But the fact that we can even be worried about patches (plural!) is cool in itself.

Can not stress enough how true this is. RIP

I agree. When we went there, they told us that their number one policy was to not break existing stuff. But at the end of the day, they're only human so things will break. The classic forums are proof of that.

The important thing is that people report any bugs they find. And patches like this one will make it a lot faster to fix them. Wc3 doesn't have a PTR or a gigantic staff of QA to get fixes out. From our discussion, even if the devs knew the fix for an issue right away, the current patching system is a huge time gate that prevents them from addressing it right away. Anyone who has played Wc3 for a long time knows that patching usually means either:
  1. You're one of the lucky ones who patched without any issues! Yay!
  2. You can't patch directly off BNet, but you can find a link off Blizzard's ftp servers to download and apply it directly.
  3. You need to reinstall, lol.
It was like that for WoW too until the new Battle.net client came out. Hopefully with the new system, patching won't be as much of a chore.

Reactions: pyf
Level 19
aha, I got it.
defend comes from people who actually don't understand what we DO want.
Lets see. What happen if wc3 get a new jass command like "MakeUnitHero"? "GetUnitPrimarystat"? "RenderImageOverTheScreen"? Any old map will get broken? nope.
What happen if wc3 will stop crashing with Engineering upgrade on non-heroes? Some maps will become broken? Nope, as it already impossible to use anyway.
I can continue this list for eternity, but the point is - WE DON'T WANT BLIZZARD TO BREAK STUFF. WE WANT A COMPLETELY NEW STUFF. But we received nothing but empty promises from people who are far, far away from the REAL needs of the mapmaker's community.
I don't care what graphics is used, if it's getting better (which is won't happen) it's ok. If they updating compatibility with win10 and shit - I don't care, it's ok. BUT INGAME CONTENT IS PRIOR TO ALL OF THAT. Custom maps ARE reason to download wc3, not vice versa.

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
WE WANT A COMPLETELY NEW STUFF
What if the addition of new stuff requires Blizzard to first do technical improvements + improvements to their patching system, the two of which may or may not cause issues (which in turn would be fixed in the long-run)?

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Trust me, I've been struggling with World Editor's issues for years. I've been frustrated at how a simple thing like for example detecting the unit's armor amount literally cannot be done without tons of unnecessary triggers and systems. And that's 1 thing among a list with possibly hundreds.

However, both Blizzard and the Hive Staff have tried to explain that in order to get new features and improvements to the Editor and the game itself, they first have to make core changes to the patching system and other technical improvements. Since the game is old and the people that are currently handling it are not the ones that created the game back in the day, there is a rough learning process they have to go through. Eventually they will improve it, get it in a state they feel comfortable with and then they would deliver the "completely new stuff". And, yes, while trying to get the technical side of the game to a satisfying condition which would allow for them to deliver new content, there is danger that stuff will break. That's how the world works. You want money? You have to work. You want to be knowledgeable? You have to read books. You want new features and improvements to the Warcraft Editor? You must accept the reality that they first have to deliver multiple (compitability/patch system improvement/technical) patches.

In the end, would I prefer the game to be forsaken by the developers and slowly wither away or would I prefer to help the developers to go through whatever s**t they have to go through with the promise of new content in the end?

For me, it's clearly the second option.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
@DracoL1ch:
I'm not following all the discussions in other threads so can you tell me some of those stuffs they broke that makes some of you upset? I know command button stacking is not working anymore in 1.27b but I don't think it's that big deal. And they said that the memory reading stuffs still work and expected to be like that even in future patches, I think it's good enough. Personally, I haven't felt anything has affected my mapping comfortability.

Last edited:
Level 19
@DracoL1ch:
I'm not following all the discussions in other threads so can you tell me some of those stuffs they broke that makes some of you upset? I know command button stacking is not working anymore in 1.27b but I don't think it's that big deal. And they said that the memory reading stuffs still work and expected to be like that even in future patches, I think it's good enough. Personally, I haven't felt anything has affected my mapping comfortability.
LoD has issue with Necromastery, which is based on 65-level ANeg. It had 0 bugs prior to 27 and tends to crash in 27 on pick stage. No memory hack involved at all. Obviously it's a new kind of crash, never expected to be there. Oh wait, blizz never gave us any PROPER changelog of what did they do within 27 except for "compatibiility with win10".
In the end, would I prefer the game to be forsaken by the developers and slowly wither away or would I prefer to help the developers to go through whatever s**t they have to go through with the promise of new content in the end?
empty promises vs a real one possibilities with memhack? IDK but I'd rather stick with the second option. You know, russians gave up any trust to any promises, especially if there's no proofs blizzard even want them to happen.

Level 19
However, both Blizzard and the Hive Staff have tried to explain that in order to get new features and improvements to the Editor and the game itself, they first have to make core changes to the patching system and other technical improvements. Since the game is old and the people that are currently handling it are not the ones that created the game back in the day, there is a rough learning process they have to go through. Eventually they will improve it, get it in a state they feel comfortable with and then they would deliver the "completely new stuff". And, yes, while trying to get the technical side of the game to a satisfying condition which would allow for them to deliver new content, there is danger that stuff will break. That's how the world works. You want money? You have to work. You want to be knowledgeable? You have to read books. You want new features and improvements to the Warcraft Editor? You must accept the reality that they first have to deliver multiple (compitability/patch system improvement/technical) patches.
again, I've been there for last year, working in the pure ASM (not even freaking C++ builder), and been able to get many, many things out of that. Surely getting over legacy code is hard, but why the fuck they hired seniors with 5+ y of experience for this job? To hear "I can't do that lets rebuild the fuck out of that"?

Thing is, wc3 has one of the best community ever. THere's been sooo many bright minds who made this game last so long. Widgetizer, wc3map opt, hashing, blp-ing, WEU, WE NG, etc. Tons of people worked hard on those, and yet non of them been appretiated by blizzard. Only this 27b took part of NG to the core, but that's not an improvement.

You don't need to fix whats not broken. Updates been working just fine, except for new ones. Obviously it's upt ot NEW TEAM to not understand how it worked before, or I don't know something about issues with 1.26, 24,25 patching?

I can surely tell you adding many, many natives WONT break a shit, for 100% sure. How do I know? I already added it in my maps via memory hack. You can't break anything by simply reading. You can't break anything by setting some writiable memory segment to another value. It's just about blizzard being blizzard - managers and bullshit marketing over the place. SC2 is great example of what modern blizzard is - it's mapmaking just as dead as SC1's

Do not speak for everyone, please.
I speak for sane (aka radicalistic) people, dont worry, I dont care if you don't agree

Last edited:
Level 2
You've missed "in".
and yet non of them been appretiated by blizzard
I know at least two guys from community who were hired by Blizzard.
You don't need to fix whats not broken.
Actually, it WAS broken.
You can't break anything by setting some writiable memory segment to another value.
You never tried to inspect some worms sources, aren't you? "Code injection", google it.

Last edited:
Level 19
You've missed "in".

I know at least two guys from community who were hired by Blizzard.

Actually, it WAS broken.
I missed nothing, you missing the point.
rumors aren't enough to be proofs, not to speak if they're hired - where's their work?
how was it broken?
You never tried to learn some worms sources, aren't you?
I know how to work with debugger, thats enough to make sure your change is safe

Level 2
You can. Not sure about what it'll be like in the future, but in 1.28a these "syncs" will only be made each time you patch. So you can just redownload DoC and play it after you patched, and everything should be just fine (but again, future patches will probably overwrite it). Just note that these changes are made with modding in mind, they aren't trying to hinder it in any way. :)
Ok, it could make sense then, if it won't be perma synced.

But I also understand Draco's critique in many posts, it's very good to have a shouter who's very sceptical, too.

Level 19
Back 2 Warcraft has posted a video as well - enjoy!:

2:40 - "The patch is coming but it will disappoint a lot of you."
ROFLMAO
inbefore "battlenet2.0, thats all"

"it will disappoint a lot of you, but thats not a bad news" - pure gold, whole blizzard's mind right there.

aaaand another one "next patch will the goods you're looking for" in the end of the video.
headbang.gif

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Hope they don't harm host bots, I can't host myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.