• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Long time no see, a little texturing fun I had

Level 20
Hey there you lot! Been a long time since I visited these forums last, had a sudden urge for some WC3 modding last night and so I decided to paint a new texture for the spellstealer, let me know what you lot think!

Revenant_Spellstealer_WIP_05.png

Update: Made another one, and my god, the demoness model has the WORST UV map I have ever seen, like, super bad even for WC3 standards, was a real nightmare to do anything even half decent with this one so I'm not the happiest in the world with the result, worst part to make was the back cloak/wings part, the UV's were so terrible that I simply had to delete the cloak all together.

NightElf_Stalker.png

Reaper bust I made through the evening today!

Reaper_Fin_Probably.png

Update again! My first entirely custom made unit for WC3, a 256 texture and 427 polygons! The pandaren Mistweaver, now this one is still a bit of a work in progress and will probably see some changes down the line, but I figured it was close enough to done to show of!

Pandaren_Mistweaver.png

pandaportrait-png.240964

Pandaren_Mistwaver_icon.png

First glimpse of the Blade Servant, a samurai style pandaren melee warrior!

bladeservan_wip_02-png.241075

Last edited:

Roland

R

Roland

Do you use a graphic tablet or something? if yes can you tell me what's the model? :D I'd be interested to speak to you personally in chat XD If you have time of course.

Roland

R

Roland

Egh, I don't have facebook, but do you have skype? or we could chat in THW Chat. :3 <3

Roland

R

Roland

Are you even active there? :p Anyway, I'm glad that I met another talented artist <3

Roland

R

Roland

Thanks for the suggestions and the kind advice, buddy~! I'll keep on sharpening my artwork, It's nice knowing you, Trag'! ^w^

Level 20
THank you A]mun and Firetiger!

Not sure I'll be making an actual in-game model for reaper, whilst I wouldn't mind doing it I don't really have the time to re-learn all the technical stuff that goes into it, such as getting animation exports working properly with newer verisions of 3D's max etc etc, if anyone would like to give me a crash course though we could probably change that.

Level 20
Thank you PROXY and Sclammerz! means alot!

Regarding the Night elf I'm thinking of remaking it entirely, as the UV of the original model was so horrible I figured I could just make a completely new UV set for it and touch the model up a little bit, so I'll probably give her a real makeover soon!

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Umm... So geez, man, when you come back, you come back hard.

That Spell Breaker skin is just solid sick. Such crisp lines, and the color scheme/palette is just so simple & elegant; love it.

And is that... OK, um, yeah, I'm gonna go ahead & do all of us a favor & say "plz can haz cheezburger Mistweaver" That is simply incredible, and with such a defined Warcraft-style... Criminy, man, what manner of man are ye?

This is a lot more than a "texture" thread, I'll tell ya that.

//EDIT - Schweet icon, and good animation WIP. If I had one point of critique, it would be that his trunk (main body) is relatively frozen during the walk cycle & could use some motion; his arms & legs are moving, and his head is bobbing, but it's like his torso is just stuck.
Could just be me, though.

Last edited:
Level 20
Hahaha thanks a ton kyrbi0! That means a ton! And YES, you will absolutely have the mistweaver, I just have to get around to figuring out NeoDex with Max 14 and getting all the animations in-game and all that jazz, but as soon as I have a solid pipeline down I will share it ^^
Speaking of animation thanks for the feedback! I feel the same, needs more spinal wavery!

As for what manner of man I am haha, I'm a games dev from sweden who started of my career right on this very forum around 2006 or so, currently doing freelance work aswell as developing my own little project :D

Level 14
Really damn impressive. The skins are one the best I have ever seen for Warcraft 3. I especially enjoy the clean and sharp feel. They have enough of the warcraft-style to fit into the base game and at the same time they are pretty creative.
The models are also quite amazing. I really like that the pandaren model has such a low poly count and looks beautiful (at least I think that his poly count is comparable to other Warcraft 3 base units but I might be wrong on that :p). One tiny recommendation about the pandaren : don't forget about the team color.

Keep the good work!

Level 20
Thanks Wareditor! Really glad you like it! Yeah the costs of my units should all be around the standard warcraft units! I used the spellbreakers polycount as a guide for my pandaren, I'm about 30 polygons above him so there should be no problems what-so-ever to run this in-game!

And hey, speaking of teamcolour, through alot of blood and sweat I managed to figure out how to pull of the TC shaders in max, yay!

Also don't mind how odd the teamcolours look, this picture was taken using a temporary test alpha for the blending, making a better one for the final thing.

PandarenColour.png

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Couple things to say but most of all "wow, coming along well"; I think that's some pretty bold TC, and I like it. Maybe a tiny bit less on his overcoat, though?

I'm getting kinda jazzed to see this guy; skillsets whirling in my head. Did you have any animations in mind for him?

Level 20
Yup! As said above the TC in that picture was just a test alpha to see if I could actually get the shader working, it's more subtile and has a gradient to it now!

I'm feeling a bit iffy about the whole pipeline at the moment, using a newer verision of 3Ds max and all, it is proving extremely hard to figure out how to get this stuff in-game properly :p

As for animations I have a death animation already made, but other than that I don't have anything really planned, don't know which animations WC3 requires me to make to begin with.
So if you have suggestions for that stuff please do go ahead, that'd help me a ton.

TC.png

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Hahaha thanks a ton kyrbi0! That means a ton! And YES, you will absolutely have the mistweaver, I just have to get around to figuring out NeoDex with Max 14 and getting all the animations in-game and all that jazz, but as soon as I have a solid pipeline down I will share it ^^
Woohoo! I'm lookin' forward to it; the Pandaren's could use some love (having too many models is a good problem to have. : P).

Traggey said:
As for what manner of man I am haha, I'm a games dev from sweden who started of my career right on this very forum around 2006 or so, currently doing freelance work aswell as developing my own little project :D
Well, how cool is that? Very neat; glad to have you (back) around.

Thanks Wareditor! Really glad you like it! Yeah the costs of my units should all be around the standard warcraft units! I used the spellbreakers polycount as a guide for my pandaren, I'm about 30 polygons above him so there should be no problems what-so-ever to run this in-game!
It's funny you should say that; it's not a bad place to be, but it should be pointed out that the Spellbreaker (like all the TFT units & especially Heroes) were, in general, a lot more high-poly/detailed/etc than earlier Units & Heroes (RoC). Compare the Footman to the Spell Breaker, or the Priestess of the Moon to the Tinker/Alchemist/Firelord.

So he might be a tiny smidge on the high end, but anyway it doesn't look like it's all that 'heavy', so things still seem fine.

Speaking of animation thanks for the feedback! I feel the same, needs more spinal wavery!
As for animations I have a death animation already made, but other than that I don't have anything really planned, don't know which animations WC3 requires me to make to begin with.
So if you have suggestions for that stuff please do go ahead, that'd help me a ton.

View attachment 240945
Well, now that you mention it... : P

Sometimes when I see models like this, my mind starts to whirl with the possibilities of designing a Hero to fit them. In this case, I had to do a little searching, but came upon a Role I feel pretty good about; that of a half-healer/half-warrior; a guy who benefits from being in the fray, while still 'weaving the mists' to heal his allies.

That being said, I consider that he could have a nice combination of pointed, forceful & firm animations (fitting a trained warrior-monk) and then some nice flowy, tai-chi-ish "healing mist energy" animations. Definitely the classics (Stand, Attack(1-2-3?), Walk, Death), but throwing in Spell, Spell Throw, Spell Slam, and Stand Channel are all really good ideas, too:
  • Specifically, for the former I could see some staff-action; either forcefully jabbing it out, or cracking someone over the head with it (magicky SFX needed). Alternatively, have him eschew his 'obvious' weapon for a moment & instead hold it out to the side, balance on one foot, and then jab forward with an open palm (other arm) to Block some dudes Chi (& ruin their day, let's be honest xD).
  • Also consider getting those legs into the action; a (roundhouse) kick is a must. xD "Attack Slam", anyone?
  • For the flowy-misty-tai-chi stuff, focus instead on smooth, sweeping graceful motions; maybe even look up some tai-chi on youtube! I'd say some arm-waving, some patterns, maybe a little dance-of-feet... Sweepy blueish-green ribbon SFX are a must, I'd say.
  • Perhaps an animation where he takes off his hat & fans someone (himself?) with it? Alternatively, takes off the hat, turns it upside down, and then pours some bottles of potion/brew into it & stirs for a second.
  • Ooh! Those are scrolls on his back, right? Have him reach back, pull on out, open it, and then cast the spell from it! Some kind of neat/bloody rune gets written on it in magic temporarily.
  • Definitely a solid Stand-Channel; I'm always a sucker for "floating with power", so a zen/lotus position featuring him floating in mid-air doing nothing would be pretty dang cool.
Those are, of course, just (a few) suggestions (probably enough ideas for 2-3 models, lol).

Last edited:
Level 20
That's awesome man! Super fun to start coming up with ideas for gameplay use already, I have not thought too much about that myself other than I wanted him to be a supportive spellcaster type, similar to that of the humans priests and mages.

I'll deffo be looking into asian martial arts with big sweeping movements and such for the animations, thanks!

As for the kicking and the little more close up stuff I have another one brewing, now this one is FAR from finished and will go through alot of refinements but I think I can show of some work in progress stuff by now!

I call this one the Blade Servant

BladeServan_WIP_01.png

Level 20
BladeServan_WIP_02.png

Thanks Archian! :D Much appreciated!

Done some more work on the Blade Servant, starting to get somewhere closer to calling him done!

ALSO! If we have a moderator around here who would do me a service, since this thread went a little farther than I had first imagined it, would you mind moving this to the Modeling forum instead? I believe it is more suited in that section now. Thanks!

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
This took me *way* too long.

That's awesome man! Super fun to start coming up with ideas for gameplay use already, I have not thought too much about that myself other than I wanted him to be a supportive spellcaster type, similar to that of the humans priests and mages.
Hm, fair enough. I saw him with the big staff, and after running through WoW a bit worked up a melee "warrior/healer" thing. Either way. : )

(That's rather ironic, now that I think about it; I'm infamous for hating WoW & always sticking to Wc3 for all my "inspiration/hero/stuff", but here I am, totally going all WoW on this model... Lol.

If I were to do the opposite... Well, the Storm Panda has Resistant Skin, Dispel Magic, Cyclone, and Wind Walk. Those strike me as a supportive dude w/ disabling/self-protecting abilities. Probably some way to work those altogether (though how to work in "weaving" and "mists", is the question.)

As for the kicking and the little more close up stuff I have another one brewing, now this one is FAR from finished and will go through alot of refinements but I think I can show of some work in progress stuff by now!

I call this one the Blade Servant

View attachment 241042
View attachment 241075

Done some more work on the Blade Servant, starting to get somewhere closer to calling him done!

ALSO! If we have a moderator around here who would do me a service, since this thread went a little farther than I had first imagined it, would you mind moving this to the Modeling forum instead? I believe it is more suited in that section now. Thanks!
This is very... Interesting.

I'm gonna have to see more of this, because I'm equal parts "love" and "not love". Without the front page description (& the knowledge that you just made a Pandaren) I wouldn't have been quite sure what he was... The armor is super-exquisite, with the same beautiful coloring & contrasts that you are (now) known for... But I can't stop thinking "is this a Starcraft/Heroes of the Storm character"? It's just so detailed. If it's a Hero, it might be an acceptable level of detail, but for a unit (?), I'm not so sure.

That all being said, dat artistry tho. The TC's in all the right places, that gold armor is really striking, and the blade is sick. Super-long samurai blade FTW.

View attachment 241223 Ooh thanks PROXY! Really glad you're liking it!

Started on a little something today!
Geez, man, is there no sacred ground you won't trample on? UI's are a time-honored tradition among us Wc3 Modders; ultra-useful to everyone, but waaaay too much trouble for artists to actually mod.

I'm intrigued by your choice of the "3D model first" method; very interesting.

So lemme guess... Lotus petals, corrugated roof... Pandaren? : )
(but we already have one...)

Level 20
I've been considering them a little too detailed for being normal units myself, I just can't seem to help myself, my eventual plan is to make something all around pandaren, new UI, new units, Voice overs, completely new doodad sets and ground textures, all that goood stuff.

so if I don't screw up horribly I should be able to get it all to work nicely with eachother.
I'd in the end be super happy to develop an entire campaign around it all.

As for the blade servant I was thinking perhaps he would fill a more heavy duty melee position like the human knights. *shrug*

When it comes to actual gameplay, sadly there my skills end! Building techtrees and planning out abilities and all that stuff sadly isn't my cup of tea!

Hah, I will absolutely share everything with the community Archian! UI'n all, and yeah I'm aware there is a pandaren inspired one already, a very well made one too, but I have a rather glaring problem with that one, it's too bright and lacks contrast, it brings the eyes towards the UI and makes you want to stare at it which shouldn't be the case! So I'm making one that hopefully will blend in a little better like the original UI's.

ALSO! Speaking of UI's, does anyone know the location of the REAL humantile_01 ?
After having built my template after what the original images looked like I discovered that the humantile_01 in the MPQ is missing one of the buttons, making the UI totally not match up, and I can not for the love of me find the real UI.

NVM, found it, sneaky little expansion bastard.

Last edited:

Roland

R

Roland

My face is melting from the Glorious overload... Keep up the good work tragg's!