• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #9 - Cataclysm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrain Picture
I made small changes to terrain!
Thanks to CHA_Owner and Belgarath for ideas within comments!
So here is my (Before D-Day) VIP#2 so far!

185870-albums3014-picture25936.jpg

P.S. You can see more of this terrain pictures here! Also any comments, ideas and suggestions are welcome! :thumbs_up:

Credits:
Arathi Rock -> takakenji
Trees -> Nasrudin
Eerie Fog -> sc_freak
Plants -> xXm0rpH3usXx
Waterfall -> Need author name I can't find sry
Sun Flare -> Need author name I can't find sry

cobras using the high res rocks
and an illegal tree on the left of the picture (its from xgm). also, the fog in the water looks extremely funky in spots
someone needs to upload that grass model somewhere, i actually did it once but got rejected because i didn't provide an author or some shit

anyway if i do enter here is my pre apocalypse terrain
NOTE THAT THIS ISN'T AN ENTRY (YET?)

Wait question:
does the cataclysm have to be natural or can it be natural?

Attachments

• Revelations i.png
    Revelations i.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 221
Level 36
Werent you supposed to be a judge Belg? >.>

Also, have to be natural or can it be natural? Just what do you mean? :p
I'm going to take it as if you are asking if there are some restrictions to how the cataclysm is caused, and to that I say no.

Level 14
ahaha.. to those who commented on my WIP's
@ Cpt.ZnacK
@ tleno

i was DISCONNECTED on that night. so the last WIP didn't show up..

so.. these are the WIP's by process/event:

the base
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l411/iloverevenge_25/WIP.jpg

the Doodads
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l411/iloverevenge_25/WIP2.jpg

The 80% complete nature scene:
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l411/iloverevenge_25/WIP3.jpg

The complete (i think so) nature scene:
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l411/iloverevenge_25/WIPfinal.jpg

The "RE-terrain" (remember!!.. TERRAIN):
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l411/iloverevenge_25/WIP4.jpg

The 80% complete cataclysm scene:
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l411/iloverevenge_25/WIP5.jpg

The complete (then again, i think so) cataclysm scene:
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l411/iloverevenge_25/WIPIIfinal.jpg

comment me some feedbacks.. :))

Last edited:
Terrain Picture
I made small changes to 1st terrain and finally make 2nd one!

185870-albums3014-picture25936.jpg

185870-albums3014-picture25956.jpg

P.S. You can see more of this terrain pictures here! Also any comments, ideas and suggestions are welcome! :thumbs_up:

Credits goes to:
Arathi Rock -> takakenji
Trees -> Nasrudin
Eerie Fog -> sc_freak
Plants -> xXm0rpH3usXx
Waterfall -> Ultimate Terrain Map v3.0 (Author unknown)
Sun Flare -> Ultimate Terrain Map v3.0 (Author unknown)
Dead Trees -> Mc!
Thanks guys :thumbs_up:
Also I want to say thanks to CHA_Owner and Belgarath for ideas (first picture) within comments! :thumbs_up:

Nice terrain -Kobas-. You finished it pretty fast ;p

I finished 1st in one day and 2d in 1 hour :xxd: but now comes that part of terraining when I see what people can say about it and fixing, adding, upgrading everything to make it look awesome, you know what I mean :grin:
(As I say 1st was finished in one day and improved whole next week)
What can I say I have half of Hive resources in my PC :xxd:

Level 19
Map may only be based on the Ultimate Terraining Map. Or any other models taken from either Hiveworkshop or Wc3 Campaigns register.

This rule hmm..
I can't believe it is a problem if I start a totally new map? I don't like UTM because of the extreme long waiting time if you edit something in object editor because there are tons of models in it and tons of custom made object editor things you will never use anyway.
Ofc all models I want to use are from that map or thw/wc3c anyway.

So just to check. This isn't a problem is it?

Level 36
This rule hmm..
I can't believe it is a problem if I start a totally new map? I don't like UTM because of the extreme long waiting time if you edit something in object editor because there are tons of models in it and tons of custom made object editor things you will never use anyway.
Ofc all models I want to use are from that map or thw/wc3c anyway.

So just to check. This isn't a problem is it?

Of course not, the rule states that it should be based on UTM OR ANY OTHER MODEL FROM THW OR WC3C >.> So no, you dont HAVE to use UTM.

Level 5
ugh why do all of the dead tree models look like they've been incinerated rather than just died? tis such a pain :O

Level 23
@Belgarath: The atmosphere is very well done, so is the landscape itself. Only two things that I think can be improved: 1. The - I guess it's a model - next to the car sticks out in a bad way, doesn't really fit.
2. the helicopter is hard to see because of the atmosphere around him! Maybe try to make him mor visible!
Great Terrain!

Level 6
I got a more general question.

I'm new at terraining and I got the problem that every time i want to set a Doodad next to the edge of the camera view in the editor it scrolls. is there any way of stopping that??

Last edited:
Level 23
TIme to show the nearly final version now, I'll start with the destruction now, but if I find time I'll try to fix some details, so please feel free to comment.
Because I don't have to much time it doesn't seem like it turns out like I wanted it in the first place, but meh ;/
Hope you like it a little!

Attachments

• Cataclysm.jpg
    Cataclysm.jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 191
Level 5
well heres my next wip and it is probably nearly finished, any comments would be welcome.

162096-albums3070-picture25989.jpg

to do list:
-redo fog cos im not sure i like it at the mo.
-weather?
-fiddle with stuff

That Keeper and the Tree of Life look out of place. Also, you could try adding some Special Effects 'connecting' the blocks, maybe with triggers. That way it would look more... Mystical. Otherwise, looks cool, kinda reminds me of the Necropolis.

agreed on the out of placeness of those two
i would use foggy sky and put some mountains in the background and make a closer, blueish fog and make lordaeron light rain all that makes the picture feel wet as you want it i assume

Level 6
(final) W.I.P. for the Terrain before Cataclysm.

if somethings missing please tell me how to make this look better

Credits to:
~Void~ for his awesome Terraining Tutorial
and the Editor(s) and modelers of the UTM 3.0 I've used for this Terrain.

PS: this is my first Terrain ever made^^

Attachments

• Terrain before Cataclysm.JPG
    Terrain before Cataclysm.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 156
Level 5
well thnx for the comments and ideas guys

prepare for essay :p

@debode: i thought about adding effects connecting the blocks before however it is difficult as many effects look static and well... bad when i take a screeny (they look awesome in real time with sanctuary buff) and i also thought about adding lightning effects but using triggers this would take ages as well as the effects doing that annoying thing where you can see them when the hidden behind over objects >< the only way round this would find the specific cut of points for each individual stone however if i did this the ends of the lighning would show which are both flat and ugly. however im still gonna try and find a great effect to use xD

@belgarath: thnxs for the ideas on the fog xD tho im not gonna put mountains behind cos i just dont like just sticking them into the background its kinda unoriginal but thanks for the advice anyways.

Level 2
Well, here's my first terrain screenshot, it's the pre-cataclysm version.
Tips are ofc welcome :thumbs_up:

Attachments

• Terrain Screenie #1.jpg
    Terrain Screenie #1.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 158
Status
Not open for further replies.