• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #9 - Cataclysm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
After wip.

Attachments

• After shit.jpg
    After shit.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 162
Level 14
Although i love both of your terrains, the second one is just stupid, in the sense that it resembles nothing of your previous terrain. Especially that blank wall on the right hand side. I just don't like it :/ neither are very realistic either.

Level 36
This will be my submission.

In picture two, you are looking at the ruins of the distant tower in picture one. The lake isn't anymore.

Marvelous second terrain there Megafyr, but it is correct what the others are saying, I'm afraid. Your terrain is to preview a spot before and after, this means the EXACT same spot as in the previous have to be in the latter as well, to make that "it looks famillar" effect, which is essentially the idea of this theme to begin with. I cant accept your after terrain as a valid entry, even though I love it.

Level 19
Even so, the pictures aren't connected. Because you cant see the landscape in picture 2 in picture 1 if your getting the point. Only the so called tower, by the way the "tower" is a lighthouse and in the second pictures the lighthouse turns into a medieval tower. The terrain still owns, good job.

If I say it's a tower it is a tower. I created the terrain. ;) Besides, why would there be a lighthouse near a lake?

Although i love both of your terrains, the second one is just stupid, in the sense that it resembles nothing of your previous terrain. Especially that blank wall on the right hand side. I just don't like it :/ neither are very realistic either.

That it doesn't resemble the previous terrain only confirms that the theme cataclysm, which involves change in terrain, was a success. You get to see the tower from another angle, now ruined, however -- so the tower connects the two. If my aim for this contest was to make realistic terrains, the result would have been waaay different.

Marvelous second terrain there Megafyr, but it is correct what the others are saying, I'm afraid. Your terrain is to preview a spot before and after, this means the EXACT same spot as in the previous have to be in the latter as well, to make that "it looks famillar" effect, which is essentially the idea of this theme to begin with. I cant accept your after terrain as a valid entry, even though I love it.

You should have clarified that in the rules. Nothing of what you said in the above post stands in the rules, so it is not really fair not to accept the entry. The entry as it currently is followes the rules, and is thus valid.

Why must it resemble the first, because "IF" a disaster such as a tornado or earthquake happened, it reworks the landscape, moves things from elsewhere.

What is to say that is not what he was aiming for? You never specified what it had to be.

Level 19
I understood what Keiji meant with this contest. But if I look at the rules I see that it isn't literally said there. So I would see no reason to decline Mega's submission because after all it's really possible someone made a 'mistake' like this while I actually shouldn't be using the word 'mistake' in here.

I understood what Keiji meant with this contest. But if I look at the rules I see that it isn't literally said there. So I would see no reason to decline Mega's submission because after all it's really possible someone made a 'mistake' like this while I actually shouldn't be using the word 'mistake' in here.

Now that you mentioned it, i think that rule should be made. Sorry mega, but if your allowed to make something like that then other people will make it. Then the theme will be a total fail.

Level 36
The theme is Cataclysm, this means that you will have to make two terrains; one terrain which is before the cataclysm takes place, and then another one depicting the terrain how it looks after the destruction.
Creativity is encouraged :)

Now, that is a direct quote from the rules, and how you cannot see the obviousness of what I am implying there is beond me. I clearly state "...and then another one depicting the terrain how it looks after the destruction..."

It, as in being the very same terrain.

Rules are rules, but if the majority of you seem so content with allowing his entry, then I shall not be the one to stand in your way. Mostly due to the fact that the rules might have been a bit unclear on the point.

True, but it wont change the ground and move the camera angle into your background and saying it changed. Am i not right?

A tornado could change the ground, you have obviously never seen a strong tornado.

Now, that is a direct quote from the rules, and how you cannot see the obviousness of what I am implying there is beond me. I clearly state "...and then another one depicting the terrain how it looks after the destruction..."

Rules are rules, but if the majority of you seem so content with allowing his entry, then I shall not be the one to stand in your way. Mostly due to the fact that the rules might have been a bit unclear on the point.

You are a good man.

Level 19
@Oziris: Can you please specify what makes a cataclysm theme terrain contest that has no requirements to terrain changes, and camera positions, inferior to a cataclysm theme terrain contest where the only noticable difference between the pre- and after-cataclysm submissions is a few models and fog/sky being replaced? I fail to see it.

It, being the very same terrain, still does not set any requirements to the angle, or position, of which the terrain is viewed. But I won't argue about it anymore, since I don't have to spend another eight hours remaking the first terrain. :)

Level 18
i dont know if anyone noticed but megafyrs terrain IS in the same place as it was before.

doesnt anyone notice that the dock debris is there ? and the earth collapsed inwards and some rocks floated.

it may not look the same anymore but i think it is the best cataclysm and most interesting one ive seen. Decline for his submission would be outrageous.

and on a happier note. Megafyr that is an awe inspiring terrain. i think that belongs in the legendary terrain thread. who agrees ?

Level 18
'It' doesn't look like the same terrain in ANY way Megafyr. You can say that it is, but I see nothing that's the same in both pictures. If your submission is allowed, then I'll make a desert as before, and a metropolis after, saying that a hurricane came by and by pure accident put all those buildings in a very nice order in that desert.

Now cut the f-ing crap and make something that matches eachother, Megafyr. You're trying to rape this theme and you're not going to get approval for this.

@thedeathunterxx: That is NOT the dock, because the dock doesn't have iron fences, a brick wall or stairs...

Level 17
Aww come one guys this starts to become ridiculous :eek:

The judge admitted the unclearness about this point and therefore allowed it.
'Problem' solved. Now leave it <.<

Level 18
yes people are just afraid or jealous of megafyrs terrain because we all know that its first place. Some people here are trying to take advantage here that it looks TOO cataclysmic >.>

and either way, megafyr can just put a freakin squirel on the ruins and itll be the same LOL

Level 14
You made a new terrain without any thought of what it would look like after a cataclysmic event, you added doodads that you obviously could not see in that previous picture without thought. There is not a spec of resemblance between the two. You even added pillars and stairs IN AN ORDERLY FASHION where they were not in the pre-cata. If you have any explanation for that, then have at it but i highly doubt you can come up with anything that will justify added weird pillars and stairs AND fences where they were unseen before.

Level 19
Guys.
I really see the confusion part in here.
Megafyr basically 'zoomed' in on the tower from the 1st picture.
He made a destroyed version of that tower. The lake is basically behind the camera bounds if atleast I am right.
It's all part of a confusion. He is not trying to break 'the rules' or something.
Sheesh, everyone is so pissed and angry in here. It's just for some virtual credits where we're talking about. Nothing serious.

Level 19
Guys.
I really see the confusion part in here.
Megafyr basically 'zoomed' in on the tower from the 1st picture.
He made a destroyed version of that tower. The lake is basically behind the camera bounds if atleast I am right.
It's all part of a confusion. He is not trying to break 'the rules' or something.
Sheesh, everyone is so pissed and angry in here. It's just for some virtual credits where we're talking about. Nothing serious.

At that you are right. Except the lake has been destroyed and that is what we're looking at. The camera rotation has changed by 180 degrees.

Though I also like thedeathunterxx's explaination. :D

Anyway, to quote Azurot.

@Azurot: Art does not always have to make sense. Even if I did the terrain on the exact same spot, I would still have used new models that gave the feeling of destruction, and left a lot of the older models out. The moria pillars and shit look epic in that destructed genre. So in fact I put a lot of thought into it. Everything in the second terrain is chaotic. There is a lot going on, a lot of tension, and a lot has been destroyed. It's nothing like the previous terrain, because the land has been drastically changed. *hint, hint* Cataclysm.

Don't consider this me trying to justify my terrain, because I don't have any reason to do that. I'm simply explaining it to you, so you can understand.

finding loopholes in rules isn't cool - the rules state "and then another one depicting the terrain how it looks after the destruction."
i'm not sure how you can misunderstand or find a loophole in that. it talks about showing that same terrain after the destruction. the whole argument seems to have been for nothing
(if keiji hasn't edited the first post, which he hasn't since about 2 weeks ago)

aside from that pretty cool terrain but i really dislike chaotic terrains personally and that one is the very epitome of chaotic shit

Level 19
A terrain has three dimensions, remember? Besides, it's not like I tried to find a way to bend the rules. A three dimensional terrain can be seen from anywhere, so did not even think about it until I saw the fury that was unleashed in some members. :p Which reason behind I still am to discover...

Level 36
Sigh... Am I never to lay eyes on a TC without drama...? >.>

The problem here is easily described with two words: Misunderstandings and presumptions.
Misunderstandings in the sence of those that read the rules as they stand, I am well aware that I should have made the rules more strict and clearer, but I will come back to why I didn't do that later. The rules does NOT state anything in fact about that the terrain HAVE to have the same camera angle, nor that it have to resemble the pre-cataclysmic terrain.
Presumptions in sense of those that neglect Megafyr's entry because of what was agreed upon. See, beforehand this contest was started there was a discussion thread where people voted and battled for their themes. When the theme was decided, it was worked out how that theme would be restricted, and this is also where my fault tags along. By presuming that all who enter either was a part of or read that thread about what theme we were going to have. In that thread it was made very clear that the terrain was supposed to resemble the old one and so forth, the point just about anyone who is against the entry here is making.

Now, I will not go back on my word, the terrain will NOT be disqualified. However, Megafyr, I will regrettably have to judge your terrain based on those comprimises that was made, and thus I cannot ideally promise you a very high score, at least not on my part.

Level 19
Sigh... Am I never to lay eyes on a TC without drama...? >.>

The problem here is easily described with two words: Misunderstandings and presumptions.
Misunderstandings in the sence of those that read the rules as they stand, I am well aware that I should have made the rules more strict and clearer, but I will come back to why I didn't do that later. The rules does NOT state anything in fact about that the terrain HAVE to have the same camera angle, nor that it have to resemble the pre-cataclysmic terrain.
Presumptions in sense of those that neglect Megafyr's entry because of what was agreed upon. See, beforehand this contest was started there was a discussion thread where people voted and battled for their themes. When the theme was decided, it was worked out how that theme would be restricted, and this is also where my fault tags along. By presuming that all who enter either was a part of or read that thread about what theme we were going to have. In that thread it was made very clear that the terrain was supposed to resemble the old one and so forth, the point just about anyone who is against the entry here is making.

Now, I will not go back on my word, the terrain will NOT be disqualified. However, Megafyr, I will regrettably have to judge your terrain based on those comprimises that was made, and thus I cannot ideally promise you a very high score, at least not on my part.

What are the criteria you have made based on the compromises? By judging my terrain based on whatever those criteria might be, you are saying that my score should be punished for not following some informal rules, that aren't even listed -- which means that if I want a good score, I'll have to redo the whole thing. In your case, I think that is the wrong thing to do. You have wroten rules that have been followed. What has not been wroten has not been followed, and resulted in my terrains. Punishing someone who follows the rules is by default wrong.

My personal opinion on how I think resemblance is relative for this theme is, maybe not suprisingly, bullshit. Cataclysm is defined as violent upheaval that causes great destruction or brings about a fundamental change. These are not my words, but stand in the first post of the thread. How can we expect any terrains to go through fundemental change, if all that supposedly is to be done is replacing a few models and call it two different terrains. At the same time you encourage creativity. This very creativity performed in a terrain in a sense of fundemental change causes that contestant to get a worse score. Is this right?

The really fun part, however, is that I could produce another terrain from the same position as the first, using the same models, the same everything, only having the ground fucked up, pluss some floating, fountain rocks -- and it would look pretty much excatly the way my original second picture looks. (Wihtout a tower ruins, of course, due to the angle.) That would then be, fundemental change, only from another angle, and hopefully accepted.

So. Let's face it. Only the angle, and camera position, is different in picture two, yet some of you find that such an important crime that you look past all the hours of work I actually spend, and tell me that I do not follow the rules on something I do, and want to punish me for it -- for what purpose? To remain the theme (fundemental change)? To kick me out of this contest (personal reason)? Or just to be jerking around(unknown reason)? But you know, I don't care. I'm still good either way. I just hope for your own sake you don't act like this in general. People don't like it.

Last edited:
Level 8
For all we know, it could be the bottom of the ocean rising up and the water leaving. Btw, really really amazing. You should try to make those landscapes playable sometime :p

Level 18
LOL at keiji's descision

no offence but thats harsh.

I find it even more interesting that that was the tower im looking at and not the docks.

but lets get this straight before a site mod closes the thread >.>

and megafyr do i see a squirrel in the second picture ? i think i see the same squirrel but i odnt know. over by the left near one of the bottom trees

Level 10
Keiji said:

Judging his terrain with a bias because he found a nice little loophole (it doesn't matter if it was on purpose or not) is wrong. People shouldn't take hits for unclear rules, especially those with such abundance of talent and those that put a lot of time into their work.

Level 25
Personally i think Megafyr's terrain is the best one here and i see no reason to judge his submission differently that the others.

And about the rules,during the time i spent on the hive i have seen rules getting abused and loopholes being used in contests and other subjects and no one raised their voice then?

There were even some more important events than a TC, no offense, and moderators just looked the other way.

This here is NOT such an example, it is only the fact his terrain stands out that is making the drama, the terrain is great and i see no point in this discussion.

Last thoughts on this subject: If you can't judge his submission without any bias, you shouldn't judge at all, no offense but i would rather see a no judge at all than a biased one. Megafyr did nothing wrong, he didn't intentionally made his second terrain just to gain an advantage nor did he want to use a loophole.

Best of luck to all the contestants.

Level 6
Well i really don't even like Megafyr's 'after' picture.
And it's just a competition, what's the deal with this drama and stuff..?
All for a goddamn medal displaying under your avatar -.-

@Megafyr Did i start all of this? sorry ^^ anyway, i personally agree with you megafyr, the rules didn't clearly say that it has to be the same angle. If you Megafyr are saying the truth about the 180 degres angle, then i don't see the problem in your terrain.

@Keiji i think its bad idea to punish him for the invisible rules that you didn't make while telling them after he made his terrain. Doe it's your way of judging, I'm just trying to sort things out.

Status
Not open for further replies.