• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Solo Mapping Competition #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im working on my own map too. I've done 10/12 "stages" in my map and thats both terrain-wise and trigger-wise. I only need to make the final stage and the boss fight. The final stage is kinda huge and will contain difficult puzzles and riddles. The bossfight is even more huge and will be an almost impossible stage, full of action. After the stages is done, i will have to make everything work with my survival system and i will have to inplent some other systems too. And im also going to work on bugfixing, leakfixing and terrain improvements. Many things is done but alot of other things is still incomplete. Im not showing anymore screenshots or revealing anymore information about my entry, as it is in danger for idea-rip and can reveal too much about the riddles/puzzles and the storyline/end. Well. This was one of the last reports from me. I wish everyone else good luck!

Level 14
Second area out of four (nearly) finished terraining wise.
Gotta think of a (non-standard, non-linear, interesting) story soon, or ill end up giving up.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_010910_182627_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_010910_182627_01.jpg
    507.1 KB · Views: 133
Level 3
I'm still working on my map, too, though I haven't really provided an update yet. I actually have several puzzles / stages done as well (terrain and triggers); at the moment I'm more just deciding how I want to integrate them all cohesively and what kind of storyline I want running through the whole thing. The actual player units that will be interacting with the puzzles / stages also need to be decided.

Anyway, I don't know how much time I'll have to work on this since a new university term is starting on Monday, but I figure we have until mid-February so I'll just keep chugging until then at whatever rate I can muster. And good luck to everyone else as well!

Second area out of four (nearly) finished terraining wise.
Gotta think of a (non-standard, non-linear, interesting) story soon, or ill end up giving up.

Hey, I like how you make use of space in this terrain: Just from what I can see, it seems like there are a lot of different rooms and puzzles there that fit together efficiently to pack in a lot of content. And it's aesthetically pleasing as well. Don't give up! I wanna play this :)

Just as a side note I'm really excited about this contest as a whole; these are exactly the kinds of maps I love to make but haven't really had the motivation to complete. Also, while there are some maps out there in this genre, there aren't many that are both challenging and engaging, or even just made well at all. I feel like this contest is upping the ante on a whole class of maps, which is really nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm still working on my map - just have slowed down a bit (currently working on a recording project which is taking up some time). I don't have any new WiP's, but currently I'm working on interactions with in game objects that are interactionable (if thats a word) - basically like pushing, pulling, falling objects, etc. before I move on to continuing some more terrain and possibly working on some cinematics

Level 12
I don't know if I'll finish my map for the contest. Right now the contest map is one of my last mapping priorities, as I'm working on my campaign and my campaign's strategy war map for multiplayer. If I don't finish in time for the contest I'll still release the map probably though.

Level 9
I have generally finished the 2nd part of my map (1st part is the intro, small to the user), the house my last WIP showed. Even though it's pretty small I've created an environment of Mystery and allow the player to integrate with as many things as possible.

I've also made a few "bonus" secrets that are not necessary to proceed to the next level. In that way I am kind of giving the motive to the player to play it again until he finds all the secrets, or if he dies from a trap. I've had a problem getting the whole idea of the 3rd part and that's the reason I worked more on the 2nd.

Now I am working on the 3rd part which will be more intense and with more action giving the feeling of an RPG.

Level 25
I just got to terraining the 2nd chamber :p

No coding done, no storyline so far.

I am gonna see how much can i do for 20 days, if i don't get near finish of terrain by then i am gonna reduce the map size.

Also there is an issue of coding a physics engine for the whole map :3

Update:

K, got friction working for moving objects - each tile (almost each - some tiles that are logically the same act the same) has a different coefficient of friction and thus objects can be pushed further/shorter on that specific type of tile. Now I need to bring gravity into the equation (what started out as just a push interaction seems to be becoming a projectile/moving object physics system).

Also there is an issue of coding a physics engine for the whole map :3

Well as long as its your work, I don't see how anyone can have a problem with that

Level 35
he made a post where he wants to post all his project pics, infos and so on.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1433269-post918.html

Fine enough.. but where does he say it... Fact is he didn't. And if you make a post like that it will always be a good idea to write what you updated. For instance an update would work better if he linked to that post like you just did.

Another thing; What does this contest have to do with Twitter and Facebook.. I don't see the relevance of adding those two sites. Yet, he still mentiones that those are coming - coming why?

The WIP screenshots appears to be drawings (Which would not really be work in process as it shows nothing else besides some colors - if that is an ingame screenshot of the terrain and models - consider me impressed) and all in all, as I said, I can't see that it is Warcraft 3 anywhere. But the concept of it (from what little is mentioned) appears to be rather creative and it is going to be interesting to see the final result.

Level 17
Thanks

Looks very interesting, but in the first picture by "creates" mayby you mean "crates"?

Ooops, I mean Creatures. Thanks

The first picture is by far the best, though I really like the comment to the last one with the rock (Maybe you should consider finding another rock model though - it doesn't appear like it would roll very well)

When In game, the model looks fine(While animation is playing). Kings said the same abot the rock. I think I am going to change it

some kind of colored fog would be nice, not to dominant of course.

Not a bad idea, adds a spooky mystery effect. Thanks

Level 11
Fine enough.. but where does he say it... Fact is he didn't. And if you make a post like that it will always be a good idea to write what you updated. For instance an update would work better if he linked to that post like you just did.
O, yes. Clumsy me.
I just thought that you've recognized my little entry on the 62th page.

[..]The WIP screenshots appears to be drawings[..]

Erm .. huh? Mate? This is, in fact - WarCraft III - The Frozen Throne.
I just took some ingame-shots. I'm currently working on the first (orange) fane.

Yet, he still mentiones that those are coming - coming why?
As mentioned in the first post: "30 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll."
.. if you want to confine yourself to the edge of this forum. Feel free. (;

Ooops, I mean Creatures. Thanks

"Creates" could be a cool name for the creatures on the road (kinda like random title in video games - demons, draenei, etc. - just a general name for the monsters)

----------------------------------------------------------------
Lol - nothing says importance like a Twitter account de.facto

Level 35
Erm .. huh? Mate? This is, in fact - WarCraft III - The Frozen Throne.
I just took some ingame-shots. I'm currently working on the first (orange) fane.

Impressive then as I also said in my other post :thumbs_up:

As mentioned in the first post: "30 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll."
.. if you want to confine yourself to the edge of this forum. Feel free. (;

Thats against the rules and illegal, just so you know it :wink:

You may not advertise for your project in order to gain votes.. actually you may not advertise for your project at all, besides informing people of you progress.

Well you are allowed to open up a thread for your project, and let others not in the contest beta test it, so you do have a limited ability to advertise. I don't see why there would be much of a problem on some other mapping site too, since even a conversation can be seen as advertising.

Though Twitter is a bit much

Btw, what exactly are we looking at in your WiP's lol - just looks like random colors swirling (unless this is some sort of new age thing lol)

Level 35
Yes his allowed to create a thread about it.. he created a website.. so that need is kinda fulfilled. Only reason for facebook and twitter would be to spread knowledge in favor for his own project (and he said so himself) - hence its illegal.

Btw, what exactly are we looking at in your WiP's lol - just looks like random colors swirling (unless this is some sort of new age thing lol)

From what I gather its the terrain and some crystals one can enter.. How he managed to create it in the time this contest have been running is above me (meaning I never would have been able to dedicate myself enough).. but if thats true it is indeed another thing that shows his and wc3's effectiveness.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.