• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Solo Mapping Competition #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone know how those happen and how to fix them? i got them also in my map.

lol, I think the contest is there to show you all the bugs of the we :p

well, don't know how to fix it, but maybe try those ideas:
- select lower cliffs tool, and play around with it
- select higher cliffs tool, and after it the lower cliffs tool
- copy the terrain of a flat ground, and paste it to the point, where the
bug ist

hope it helps you

Well I've removed them, adjust the cliff levels up of the entire map (should be under advanced), but yeah water is really screwed up right now for me, it still limits water to a certain level. I guess I'll have to rely on the UTM water model (Which is going to be a pain, since my maps gonna take ALOT of water).

If anyone can make said water pillar model that would be of much awesomeness and also be of huge use to mwah, so someone please make something like that (One with water rushing down, one with water rushing up and perhapes the same with fire would be sweet also).

I worked out camera and controls for my map. The controls will be keyboard controlled, and the camera will be a mix of 3rd person and fixed location (in some rooms the camera will be locked to give you a good view while in others it will be free and move with you)

Well I started my work, but I'm running into some odd errors with Water height that I've never seen before (yeah, those are free standing water "pillars" that stand even after I remove the ground under them.

Thats because you chosen a bad terrain height :/
You have chosen 0 or 1, right?

Thats because you chosen a bad terrain height :/
You have chosen 0 or 1, right?

I started with the default, but this is an error I've never encountered before

Edit: Actually I copied and pasted the UTM then changed the tileset and started working on the terrain up until this point (As in I didn't create a whole new map, so this error may plague other people who are using the UTM):

Attachments

• meh.jpg
    meh.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 135
Level 18
RED BARON said:
Well if it takes an hour for you to complete then it should fulfill the criteria, although others might be able to do it faster. (And she wrote; around 60 minutes). So somewhere around that, which really ain't that much considering its a puzzle and trap map.
I meant this
Map length is to be decided yet. Most likely around 60 minutes of playtime

Level 35
I started with the default, but this is an error I've never encountered before

Well for me its only an error that occurs when I get a map where someone else have used Blizzard cliff's. Then I get it a some points when I use raise/low tools and similar. Annoying as hell it is.. Therefor I use models to get the water with if I need some height on it.

Level 35
Of course, but then the map would do as it is meant to in this contest, doesn't say anything on how boring it is xP

Yep, but then again if the judges die of boredom then you kinda can't win :wgrin:

Well since the map can be up to 15mb and thereby naturally will be a single player map, will a campaign setting be allowed? Not that I am going to need it.

Level 7
60 minutes are a minimum, and approximate. Making it longer is allowed as long as you don't stretch it out too long and get everything boring. Even then, you are allowed to do it if you wish, but it might get you negative points :p

Level 7
I'm a very patient person for traps/puzzles, etc :p However, making a map too hard intentionally, and seemly imposible for solving withouth proper information provided ahead, is to be avoided.

Under that, I mean, keep in mind that not everyone knows what You, the creator know. Like that the key is in the 200th barrel in the row 5000 in a huge list, etc.

Making it hard is good, I don't say it should be easy, but be reasonable and balanced.

@Crazed_seal2

Loving the shots so far. :)

Level 13
I will not be participating, because I do not feel that I would have much to learn from these lectures (some of it I would already know, some of it I would probably have a different opinion on) when compared to most of the other participants.

Nonetheless, I am an extremely veteran coder when it comes to WarCraft III and know my way around all forms of JASS and GUI triggering. I volunteer to be the auxiliary judge for this contest.

Level 7
Guys, please have patience. I am not going to pick someone random, but the best person who volunteers. As the map deadline is still very very far, I do not wish to hurry with the decision. :) I hope you understand me.

Level 5
I've updated my first post and added 3 new screenshots. The screenshot with the bright light is the first thing you'll see when you wake up.

Attachments

• The Lost Preview 2.jpg
    The Lost Preview 2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 150
  • The Lost Preview 3.jpg
    The Lost Preview 3.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 164
  • The Lost Preview 4.jpg
    The Lost Preview 4.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 132
Level 12
God damn people already stole all 3 of my ideas... guess its back to thinking...

EDIT: Alright I got my ideas. My plot for this game is futuristic. The strange world of Sernalis is inhabited by human-like creatures. The main character, a Canabalatian, or the main race on Sernalis, is told by his parents that he is special. Little did they know, they were right. Now the main character, Richard Mardris, is all grown up. He has narcissistic mind and seeks revenge. Can you unravel his minds dark thoughts? Can you figure out why he seeks revenge? Will you make the world fo Sernalis, and possibly, even more bow down to you? Or will you find the cure for your madness and spare Sernalis your wrath? And most importantly... can you do all this with the heavy goons, cops, and agents after you?

Other Information: Muliple Endings, Game Modes, and unlockable characters other then Richard Mardris. ( Can I make several Endings and Game Modes, each being about an hour long, or will they just be ignored by the judges?)

Well If your first to put up the idea, you pretty much have proof that you came up with it before the other person (not that you did, but you sort of claimed "dibs" through this). It works both ways, put it up and someone may jack it, dont put it up and you may unknowingly make the same exact thing as another person.

Edit:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
K worked on the terrain a little. I don't feel like redoing all this so I'm just going to have to deal with my water dilemma, I can always use water doodads.

I haven't really got much more in the way of a story but, you are Char, a Green Dragon and some way or another you have stumbled upon some lost ruins and can't simply fly out (you feel in from the ceiling, I think that'll work). So basically the whole point is to escape the ruins.

The games going to based on puzzles, so I'm going to try and make combat a minimal part of the map, if any at all. You control via the keyboard. The camera will be both fixed and moving, in some rooms it will remain fixed in place to get you the best possible view while in others the camera will follow your movements.

As for how the ruins work out, I want to try and achieve something close to The Legend Of Zelda, tasking to player to conquer the dungeon by moving through rooms and often trying to obtain a key to continue on. Whether or not I include some sort of boss battle is undecided right now, since I want to keep the focus on puzzles.

Heres some pics of the first room (the only one I have so far)

Attachments

• Ruins1.jpg
    Ruins1.jpg
    444 KB · Views: 109
  • Ruins2.jpg
    Ruins2.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Ruins3.jpg
    Ruins3.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Status