• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Project: Survive - Prologue v0.11.2884

I proudly present you

Project: Survive - Prologue

Genre: Survival / Single or Co-op (up to 4)
Compatibility: Targeted for Reforged (1.33+) HD Assets. SD Assets work but may contain some minor visual glitches.

While crossing the seas aboard a vessel, a sudden tempest shows up and force the ship to crash on a set of uncharted isles.

The game begins on a shore and welcomes the player with a peaceful yet wild island. In an attempt to get back on land, the player will have to first establish a settlement, explore, craft and find another vessel. The island may look peaceful but there are strange caves and sinkholes spread all along the coasts in which worrying sounds can be heard during the day.

- Hunt and gather resources spread around the isle.
- Improve your settlement and gear up!
- Defend yourself from the night scourge!
- Find a mean out of the island.

230405-144aa128add37627ee10a39c126b77aa.jpg

230406-d99a2df6c299d9968ddab3746a725004.jpg

230407-83cb82d888488eea92dfbb93a709de1e.jpg

More Informations

The map is a vertical slice of a more larger experience. After estimating the amount of time required to add more chapters. I have decided to provide the prologue in its entirety, with a start, and a proper end.

Details about the project will not be shared in this post, but may appear later, should the concept please and attract some people.

However, the code is entirely open source and can be read here [Waiting Moderator approval for sharing a github repository]

Credits

Credits can also be read ingame during the first minute, meta quests are then removed for clarity but can be readded permanently through the use of the command !credits (chat command)
If I omitted a mention, I apologize and will ensure to update the credits accordingly!

Hiveworkshop.com - Resources&Threads
Blizzard Entertainment - WOW Assets

Artists

Artwork

Erin Lin - Loading Screen (permission granted)

Models

!!GORO!! - Bag (not used anymore)
bisnar13 - Anvil Hammer (not used anymore)
Blood Raven - Log
Deolrin - Crate
Ergius - WoodBig, Iron Ore
Hantoo - Horse Saddle
InfernalTater - Stonebrick, Meat
Kenathorn - Lesser Red Potion
Kibatake - Hide Armor (not used anymore)
Kwaliti - Wooden Barricade
MasterDragons - Scrap Metal

Icons

Eagle XI - Hut
ChirusHighwind -Tent
kola - Gear
lelyanra - Berry Bush
Maxwell - Battery
NFWar - Bag Out/Bag In
PrinceYaser - Heal Pot
Skive - Red Mushroom

Other Icons are from World of Warcraft.

Development
The code is written by me, but without hiveworkshop, or the following developpers, the project would never have seen the day.

Eikonium - Lua Debug Utils (Massive thanks)
AnonymousPro - Snippets for vanilla float texts
NightKnight - Reforged UI Designer
Raen7 - player color code guide
Frotty - map protection

github.com/siffiejoe : lua-amalg framework - Framework to assemble all lua files in a single one.

QC / Tests

KidCandi

Changelog

v0.11
r2884
> materials stored in backpacks will also be used when crafting
> drop backpack content on death
> improve UI render for Chapter Select (use fdfs)
> extend availables resources west of the Island.
> update models for mushroom, and all build crates
> adjust wood respawning to reduce wood gather loops
r2867
> increase night scourge movement speed
> fix desync issue at prologue end
> add game tips
r2854
> plank production time reduced from 8s to 5s
> add feedback when lumbermill is producing
r2847
> update loading screen
> improve craft system

r2843
> fixed unauthorized craft completion when too far from a station
> get shared vision on death (spectate)
> removed battle tags from cinematic lines.
Previews
Contents

Project Survive v0.11.2884 (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Not sure when or if this will be improved or added upon, but for now it can get approved. If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange! R U L E S Site Rules Map Submission Rules M A P - D E S C R I P T I O...
Level 5
Hi,

Prologue is used in this case as a way to say the map is introductory. You can play the entire prologue (or so Chapter 1), and it offers around 1h30 of play time;
Although the global project is still in development, the prologue is actually complete and this map serve as a standalone for the prologue. I am not actively working on this map anymore and I only backport QOL features from the project. No content/updates are actually made to this island and it will probably stay as it is.

I planned to have a topic in Map Development for the actual project, but it will still take month to get me there, thats why I ensured the prologue would have its own release and give an overview of the project.

It is playable, sure it lacks a tutorial and some explanations, and yes indeed it is short. But it is still an experience on its own, a start, an end.

Level 5
Thank you for your time!

Althought I can't agree with you about the "usualness" of this map, I haven't seen any map that pushed crafting this far. May it not be enough is one thing, But I took time to ensure that the crafting system would not be similar to what you usually find in a typical war3 map, and in my opinion I did. I would like to see others takes on this that goes this far.

Alas, Having this map in an eternal pending state won't do good. And there is nothing I will do that will change this. Remainings updates won't be enough to change anyone opinion so if you think this is still in pending for now, it will be in pending until the end. Perhaps I will delete this submission then.

Thank you again.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Alas, Having this map in an eternal pending state won't do good. And there is nothing I will do that will change this. Remainings updates won't be enough to change anyone opinion so if you think this is still in pending for now, it will be in pending until the end. Perhaps I will delete this submission then.
Why is everyone so end of days sentimental when their map doesn't get instantly approved?
I did not write it will remain in Pending forever. I'm waiting for it to be finished. The "prologue" is just too little content for now.
As for maps similar to this one, just search by Defense/Survival tag and you will certainly find many. I am not particularly sure what you mean by taking crafting that far. The maps I'm referring too are pretty much all about multiple things to craft beside other aspects of the game.

Level 5
There are no sentiments involved in this decision, and it would also follow your initial suggestion that is to put the map in the Map Development section instead of having it pending for review.

I am not discussing the amount of craft available in a map, it is only related to the amount of content overall, and it makes sense that a map with large content has multiple things to craft. I think I may not have expressed my point correctly. In regards to the existing craft designs, I have not seen any maps that propose a system akin to mine. again not talking about the quantity of available crafts, but the system itself. Having workstation, proximity, crafting times, to me and yes to the maps I found, tested, craft is never, mayhaps "rarely" approached this way. That was just a way to counter argue the unusualness, as it does not only relate to content itself, but also the way it is experienced.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Not sure when or if this will be improved or added upon, but for now it can get approved.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/