• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Melee Mapping Contest #3 - 4 vs 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
Well it seems a pretty normal 8 players meelee map to me.

Just for the certainty - every FFA map can serve as 4v4 map, so if it is the case it is no problem. My map is FFA also.

I am biggest fan of Lordaeron summer, but there are too many maps of that kind and second most favourite is barrens and third is sunken ruins

never could get the trick on sunken ruins maps tile mix.

Here is my entry
Cold Butterfly
Was fun! good luck to all :)

hoho it really looks like a buttlefly!!

it's summer and very hot in my country now :)

Hiveworkshop borders are winter ones.

More Ice and Snow. Is it because this contest is in winter?

that shure was luck.

-maybe forest are very common.
- barrens are to much barrens / desert, hard to fill. You cant put much plants is a desert.
- sunken ruins, is cool but I never get well with the tile mix.
- outland dungeon, black citadel maybe to red.
-cities are flat,

so yeah ice!!

Level 6
Don't list me out yet, please. I might actually do something. And no, it's not icy winds and cold.

It is lava.

Level 4
The tileset is just a matter of taste ;)

I was trying Northrend because i wanted to try a new mercenary camp that wasn't too imbalanced :confused:

And i love outland and black citadel tileset, but there is like... 3 creeps that sleep at night maximum with a lot of overpowered creeps with inferno/charm/finger of death :eek:... so i think this tileset makes it hard for a balanced map...

Moreover, I haven't seen a lot of ice in the actual map pool... there used to be a barrens and ashenvale map in the 1v1 pool... and a lot of sunken island map in the team map pool...but I don't remember a icecrown or northrend map in solo o_O

Level 6
Yes, there's not much ice in the map pool. But there's even less Outland or Felwood (namely 0). And I even like these tilesets. But I already got a nice idea for a cool (pun intended) map for the next mapping contest myself. But I don't know for what kind of map that will be. Maybe 2v2 or 3v3. So far there's also no official 12v12 map - maybe we could go for that one day.

Level 6
Wait a minute!
We can't use creeps outside of the tileset category??
I mean we can only use Northrend units for Northrend tileset!?

There's nothing in the rules against this. But players expect certain kinds of creeps on certain kinds of maps. Meaning they would expect Bandits who are invisible at night in City maps, but not in Outland and they might expect purging Gnoll Wardens on Lordaeron maps, but not in the Barrens and so on...
So while it is not forbidden I just guess that some people would see this as a flaw.
I did use some non-tileset units myself but only critters like some frogs in some ponds where I thought that would fit.

Level 29
Guys, sorry to say but I must admit I can't meet even 1% of the requirements of this contest even though I really wanted an artwork of mine to be included in the Blizzard's release.
Apparently I am too stupid to understand the rules and there are far wiser teenagers here that eventually can do better.

good LUCK to all, since I guess that's what you need most of all.
Don't list me out yet, please. I might actually do something. And no, it's not icy winds and cold.

It is lava.

well I do like dungeons maps too because the tile set is mirrow of underground ones.

You didn´t properly state/write "that you are formaly dropping the contest", just stating about "your map quality, rules, artwork, Blizzard realease, luck, and sorry."

you are safe.

The tileset is just a matter of taste ;)

I was trying Northrend because i wanted to try a new mercenary camp that wasn't too imbalanced :confused:

And i love outland and black citadel tileset, but there is like... 3 creeps that sleep at night maximum with a lot of overpowered creeps with inferno/charm/finger of death :eek:... so i think this tileset makes it hard for a balanced map...

Moreover, I haven't seen a lot of ice in the actual map pool... there used to be a barrens and ashenvale map in the 1v1 pool... and a lot of sunken island map in the team map pool...but I don't remember a icecrown or northrend map in solo o_O

I have the feeling that for this contest users tried (speak for myself) to use the tile-sets in a blizzlike , preset way but with full effort.
Underground: pure underground.
Barrens: pure barrens.
ICC: pure icc
Northrend: pure northredn.
Fellwood: pure fellwood.

Wait a minute!
We can't use creeps outside of the tileset category??
I mean we can only use Northrend units for Northrend tileset!?

you can use all the creeps you want.

But there is something called creep fitting, for example I would not put water elementals in a dungeon lava tile set. instead some red units or rock golems.

creep fitting adds to the enviroment

There's nothing in the rules against this. But players expect certain kinds of creeps on certain kinds of maps. Meaning they would expect Bandits who are invisible at night in City maps, but not in Outland and they might expect purging Gnoll Wardens on Lordaeron maps, but not in the Barrens and so on...
So while it is not forbidden I just guess that some people would see this as a flaw.
I did use some non-tileset units myself but only critters like some frogs in some ponds where I thought that would fit.

gnolls or kobolds can be in a barren cave.

to miss the creep fitting:

it has to be more drastic.

like frozen revenants or ice polar bears. on dungeon tileset with lava that would be weird.

in my opinion the blue orge mages are perfect for ice enviroment and perfect to mix with ice trolls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 29
Give us Sunday to properly finish! :D

@Mr.Henci

Hear the mappers are suffering their sorrow voices are echoing across the world. Their souls are bound to unfinished maps.

Agree that sunday 13 is needed. Also it will be good to pm people and ask their state.

edit: I wrote some pm to user who are not posting here much to ask how are they doing (many already stated here how are going), just to have a cheap list of map status.

Level 6
I will be honest, that one day in addition will be very essential for me since I had an immense delay around the holidays and I couldn't reach my PC. I am behind and I actually got these 2-3 days now to finish my work and do the tests. I can't really explain how important this is for me - it will be highly appreciated if we get an additional day or two.

I will upload some more WIPs tomorrow. Cheers.

Level 6
Speaking as one of those who already posted their entries, I got nothing against an extension - be it a day or a week.

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
I'm ok with extending the deadline for about one day. But it shouldnt drag on for much longer than that.
Speaking as one of those who already posted their entries, I got nothing against an extension - be it a day or a week.
Just incase: You can still edit your map, at least that's how it was at the previous contest. What should count is the version of the map you have uploaded at the time the contest ends.

Level 29
I'm ok with extending the deadline for about one day. But it shouldnt drag on for much longer than that.

Just incase: You can still edit your map, at least that's how it was at the previous contest. What should count is the version of the map you have uploaded at the time the contest ends.

'm ok with extending the deadline for about one day. But it shouldnt drag on for much longer than that.

I also agree with this for this reason: make a large extention is pointless if people is inactive.

but is also true that proper extentions tend to be 1 week more.

Is better to pm users and ask 1 by 1 how are they going, if they dont show signs of life, an extention is very very pointless.

For the moment for what I talked the extention will benefit 4 active people, (many stated they dont need it) I hope to see response of more soon.

the extention thing is far away to be confirmed, this is just pre-talk.

Those who really really need extention, they should post wips and explain how much time they need and what is remaining to finish the map.

I want everybody to finish their maps, but from now on, mapping times shouldn´t be that relaxed as it was in the begining. And if is not that decorated, well so be it, still balance is more important, neutral building positions and creep selection are much more important.

Level 6
I know that I can still edit but so far I haven't discovered any reason to do so unless I wanted to plant more flowers. But I added a lot of doodads as it is. Right now I'm more curious about the maps that will still flow in.

Level 29
WIPs:

WIP MAP:

I still have work on it but I guess I will be finishing this in 2 days or so.

Cheers.

good clasic otogon layout
northrend trees, very clever, is interesting the multiple expanding options.

interesting layout.
I really like the temple/crypt with braziers and skull torches., also interesting the boat option.

in terms of enviroment, call me impressed. You showed tricks that I wouldn´t imagined.

Level 22
I'm basically done too, I'll post it by the end of the contest :cgrin:
If anyone would like to playtest, here's the map. Sadly I can't test it properly by myself as having more than 6 players makes my laptop lag a lot.

Attachments

• (8)LegionsDemise.w3x
    224.4 KB · Views: 77
Level 29
I'm basically done too, I'll post it by the end of the contest :cgrin:
If anyone would like to playtest, here's the map. Sadly I can't test it properly by myself as having more than 6 players makes my laptop lag a lot.

Clever mix of Northrend tiles and Fellwood, first time I see that mix.

Few green creeps, no orange creeps defending nothing, very competitive, players will kill each others at the very begining, thats great.
I really like the general layout.

Level 5
Nice entries so far, how is everyone else going with the deadline? I'd like to see these all get finished so we have a nice contest. 1-2 days?

Level 29

And here arrived a veteran of the 3 melee contest, she was in the first with Fractured Monarch in the second with Bloodmyst Quarry and now in the third. Also she did a 24 player map!! and got 2455 downloads wich is a lot for a melee map.

Northern players can use boats to rush, while the players of the south figth a land battle.

interesting use of way-gates, mix of boat-land attack.

I think the layout is very interesting, and I like the diference between north and south play.

I like the sunken ruins enviroment done in a Blizz-like classic execution.

Also if I don´t miss the count, this is the second boat map in the contest.

Level 12
So deadline is still tomorrow? Well... I have still much work to do :/

Still placing doodads, centaur tents, fish, flowers, etc.
WC3ScrnShot_011219_001313_01.png

Level 29
So deadline is still tomorrow? Well... I have still much work to do :/

Still placing doodads, centaur tents, fish, flowers, etc.View attachment 313649

So deadline is still tomorrow?

For the moment yes, extention has not been confirmed yet, just talked and talked.

Still placing doodads, centaur tents, fish, flowers, etc.

copy paste them fast.

Level 6
My map is 99.99% finished, just need to polish it a little bit after a few tests tomorrow and I will be done.
Here are a few more WIPs:

Screens:

Map:

And just a question:
-Since it's already Saturday, can we please get a very quick clarification whether the contest will be extended by 1-2 days or not?

Cheers.

Level 13
Hey, It seems I couldn't finish my map on-time.

I'm quite busy with my exams right now, lots of studies and projects, and I didn't have time to create one.
I tried to create one but I didn't make it in time.

I apologize for any trouble I have caused to anyone, Best of luck to the contestants.

Level 20
Nice to see all those entries, really comming along! I have this feeling, that most of you will have your maps ready by the saturday, but just in case, is here anybody who really needs that sunday extension? 8 entries so far and I have a strong feeling we will see few more maps uploaded in last hours.

Sadly, I'm in no way able to finish my map thus I must drop out from this.

Level 29
Nice to see all those entries, really comming along! I have this feeling, that most of you will have your maps ready by the saturday, but just in case, is here anybody who really needs that sunday extension? 8 entries so far and I have a strong feeling we will see few more maps uploaded in last hours.

Is no dishonor to drop, you earned your medal in the second contest, and you always hard-worked both contest.

My map is 99.99% finished, just need to polish it a little bit after a few tests tomorrow and I will be done.
Here are a few more WIPs:

And just a question:
-Since it's already Saturday, can we please get a very quick clarification whether the contest will be extended by 1-2 days or not?

contest ends saturday it seems... no extention... well rush it common you can do it.

Give extension Mr.Boss please, super valuable weekend will mean lots! :infl_thumbs_up:

common Jale you can do it copy paste those doodads like machine gun ra-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta
think of this as like when Rohan rushed to save Gondor.

Level 6
Well, not really clearly said (about the deadline)

I also have 2 more questions:
1. It is said in the rules that doodads can be changed after all. I simply want to make my trees look darker and to have a more appropriate color in the minimap priview - is that allowed?
2. I still did not understand clearly whether the players must be strictly 4vs4 or a classic 8ffa is ok - can you advise?

Thank you.

Level 29
Well, not really clearly said.

I also have 2 more questions:
1. It is said in the rules that doodads can ve changed after all. I simply want to make my trees look darker and to have a more appropriate color in the minimap priview - is that allowed?
2. I still did not understand clearly whether the players muat be strictly 4vs4 or a classic 8ffa is ok - can you advise?

Thank you.

well the timer has been set, that means if just 1 user or 2 don´t reach but there are like 12 entries, sorry for those two.
what I mean is extention to sunday was not confirmed today, we are under satuday deadline going.

1) it will worth more if the melee map yes, , if is allowed or not, I prefer to not awnser than awnser and screw it.
2) your layout works for both 4v4 and ffa, so you are more than ok, other users have done similar layouts.

glad to see you are 99% done

Hey, It seems I couldn't finish my map on-time.

I'm quite busy with my exams right now, lots of studies and projects, and I didn't have time to create one.
I tried to create one but I didn't make it in time.

I apologize for any trouble I have caused to anyone, Best of luck to the contestants.

you are a great mapper, thanks for try.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

:/ you manage this contest without fail. you can still try release a subpar version,
doesn't have to be exactly like you imagined it. look at me, i also thought about dropping out

Level 22
@Mr.Henci Bruh, as Miyamoto once said "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." The map might not make it into the contest but at least you'll make something you'll be happy with. I suppose exams took most of your free time this month.

Anyways, here's my entry Legion's Demise

Edit: One question - is the map supposed to be set to Melee Latest Patch or not? I'm still not sure whether it makes a difference in data as I use the 1.27 Editor (just because czech was unsupported in later versions and I'm used to work with it)

Last edited:
Level 29
@Mr.Henci Bruh, as Miyamoto once said "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." The map might not make it into the contest but at least you'll make something you'll be happy with. I suppose exams took most of your free time this month.

Anyways, here's my entry Legion's Demise

Edit: One question - is the map supposed to be set to Melee Latest Patch or not? I'm still not sure whether it makes a difference in data as I use the 1.27 Editor (just because czech was unsupported in later versions and I'm used to work with it)

If you want it / have itwith the melee map yes, it must be default, not touching nothing

if you changed doodads size or models, and that stuff there you have to set it to melee last patch to have all tavern heroes.

oh in case of diferent languaje than english, yes I think it needs the melee last patch
because others will open the map and may say melee map no.

@deepstrasz

you are the expert, correct me if I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.