• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Melee Mapping Contest #3 - 4 vs 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
Hi, short time lurker, first time poster. I'd like to participate if its open to newbies like me.

of course it is, try to read tutorials (from here), see others maps, reviews, youtube videos so you can learn more and improve your skills before mapping,

good luck.

edit:

22 days since this contest started, 21 remain.
Started the long thing of puting doodads for enviroment.

upload_2018-12-22_22-6-46.png

Last edited by a moderator:

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I'm very sad to say that I messed up my map beyond repair now.
Finished something, then enlarged total map wanting to duplicate it.
Since I set it to max width, part of the map on the left was cut.
Didn't notice that until I had already saved.
And then it was too late.

I'll have to start a new map if that is ok.

I'll keep the theme and the tileset, but will make it more 4v4 focused and balanced now that I have to start from scratch.

Untitled.jpg

Level 29
I'm very sad to say that I messed up my map beyond repair now.
Finished something, then enlarged total map wanting to duplicate it.
Since I set it to max width, part of the map on the left was cut.
Didn't notice that until I had already saved.
And then it was too late.

I'll have to start a new map if that is ok.

I'll keep the theme and the tileset, but will make it more 4v4 focused and balanced now that I have to start from scratch.

View attachment 312244

"I messed up my map beyond repair now."

There is not such thing "as beyond of repair", just need to work a bit more.
unless file corrupted, even so I know someone who did a miracle with a corrupted file of a map.

it happened to me that my wc3 editor closed without save and lost progress, when things like that happens ( or when you screw it in an olympic way), take a long breath call the day off, go and have fun with some final fantasy, starcraft 2, skyrim , what ever you like and then continue to fix the thing after 1 or 2 days of rest. (mapping saturates, and fall back the progrees is very frustrating and saturates the will of map a lot).

if some parts are lost, it can be re-terrained, no need to start all over. To me seems pretty much fixable (from what I see from the screen, the missing parts can be re-terrained with no problem, just by increasing the size of the map to the right in the size and camara bounds option).

Sugestion for the future, make daily copies.

Another sugestion upload a wc3 file of your map as a pastebin with no expiration time here, so you will have an online version of your map even if your hard disck burns.

Level 20
@DuckDuckGoose I'm eager to see some WIP from you. New blood brings new things.

@sentrywiz sad to hear that. You can start a new map or rework the old one, anything you wish. Good luck and wish you enought patience.

@Ragnaros17 only 20 days left, god damn, I still haven't had enought time on my hands to even start, but this week I should be able to produce a solid map WIP I believe. GL, seems like you are near finishing the map.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

"I messed up my map beyond repair now."

There is not such thing "as beyond of repair", just need to work a bit more.
unless file corrupted, even so I know someone who did a miracle with a corrupted file of a map.

it happened to me that my wc3 editor closed without save and lost progress, when things like that happens ( or when you screw it in an olympic way), take a long breath call the day off, go and have fun with some final fantasy, starcraft 2, skyrim , what ever you like and then continue to fix the thing after 1 or 2 days of rest. (mapping saturates, and fall back the progrees is very frustrating and saturates the will of map a lot).

if some parts are lost, it can be re-terrained, no need to start all over. To me seems pretty much fixable (from what I see from the screen, the missing parts can be re-terrained with no problem, just by increasing the size of the map to the right in the size and camara bounds option).

Sugestion for the future, make daily copies.

Another sugestion upload a wc3 file of your map as a pastebin with no expiration time here, so you will have an online version of your map even if your hard disck burns.

Well remaking that part would take a huge chunk of time which I think isn't good enough.
Plus, I had another problem. Map was very solid 2v2, but cramming extra 4 players into that
would really change all.

Yes you're right I should use pastebin for this too, its very useful.
I was arrogant enough to think I got this in the bag. Then this happened xD

@sentrywiz sad to hear that. You can start a new map or rework the old one, anything you wish. Good luck and wish you enought patience.

Np. I don't make melee maps so mistakes like these are expected.

Like I said, I'll just remake my map, I'm not changing the idea.

NEW WIP:

Untitled.png

PASTEBIN:

wc3map2018 | HIVE

Level 29
Well remaking that part would take a huge chunk of time which I think isn't good enough.
Plus, I had another problem. Map was very solid 2v2, but cramming extra 4 players into that
would really change all.

Yes you're right I should use pastebin for this too, its very useful.
I was arrogant enough to think I got this in the bag. Then this happened xD

Np. I don't make melee maps so mistakes like these are expected.

Like I said, I'll just remake my map, I'm not changing the idea.

NEW WIP:

View attachment 312278

PASTEBIN:

wc3map2018 | HIVE

"I was arrogant enough to think I got this in the bag. Then this happened xD"

It happened me the same with a 1vs1 contest. Don´t worry about it, think of this as a chance to fix things.

"Map was very solid 2v2, but cramming extra 4 players into that would really change all."

I think I asked before if 8 players fit in that map, because it seemed hard when I look it.

Overall sugestion if you want to start over. mappers put the neutral buildings first and terrain later (for melee I did that in all my maps). Do the terrain blindly (with not knowing the neutrals positions) may lead to lack of space. Even I had problems by no considering the position of the green creeps (but I can manage / tolerate such situation).

what ever you do, good luck

@DuckDuckGoose I'm eager to see some WIP from you. New blood brings new things.

@Ragnaros17 only 20 days left, god damn, I still haven't had enought time on my hands to even start, but this week I should be able to produce a solid map WIP I believe. GL, seems like you are near finishing the map.

"seems like you are near finishing the map."

Eehhh, If I have to be honest, no is not near to finish yet (I think I am in a half),
I still want to re-check the loot and test the creeps (more and more beta-test). But later
And fully properly doodad all the map will take quite a time (I just started).

bethmachine

Banned
Level 8
I might join this. Will post a WIP if I'm ready to join. Just need to fully decide if I'll be able to do it, within the time constraints.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

"I was arrogant enough to think I got this in the bag. Then this happened xD"

It happened me the same with a 1vs1 contest. Don´t worry about it, think of this as a chance to fix things.

"Map was very solid 2v2, but cramming extra 4 players into that would really change all."

I think I asked before if 8 players fit in that map, because it seemed hard when I look it.

Overall sugestion if you want to start over. mappers put the neutral buildings first and terrain later (for melee I did that in all my maps). Do the terrain blindly (with not knowing the neutrals positions) may lead to lack of space. Even I had problems by no considering the position of the green creeps (but I can manage / tolerate such situation).

what ever you do, good luck

Yep, didn't listen back then.

Gonna go with symetry instead of random then. Since I'm starting from scratch I'm gonna focus on balance this time too :)

Got questions to ask the top cats running this. Are custom item tables out? And are breakable rocks allowed? Cuz I'm using some.

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Yep, didn't listen back then.

Gonna go with symetry instead of random then. Since I'm starting from scratch I'm gonna focus on balance this time too :)

Got questions to ask the top cats running this. Are custom item tables out? And are breakable rocks allowed? Cuz I'm using some.
Custom items no, custom tables with regular items should be ok. However I think that 95% of times I would not recommend it.
Under no circumstances you should do stuff like having odds that dont add up to 100%, or use items from classes other than permanen/charged/powerup.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Custom items no, custom tables with regular items should be ok. However I think that 95% of times I would not recommend it.
Under no circumstances you should do stuff like having odds that dont add up to 100%, or use items from classes other than permanen/charged/powerup.

No custom items, just item tables.
I am using them to add a random spice to it.

100% drop chance for creeps protecting buildings.
20-30% drop chance for creeps protecting pathways.
If I can have creeps protecting pathways, I can also have item tables.
My aim is to make it fun and random.

@sentrywiz custom itesm - not allowed, destrutible rocks - allowed, but it can get fiddly

And I'm using destructible rocks. Fiddly or not, they're useful.

Level 29
No custom items, just item tables.
I am using them to add a random spice to it.

100% drop chance for creeps protecting buildings.
20-30% drop chance for creeps protecting pathways.
If I can have creeps protecting pathways, I can also have item tables.
My aim is to make it fun and random.

And I'm using destructible rocks. Fiddly or not, they're useful.

If I can have creeps protecting pathways.

that may lead to aggro (being attacked by just walking), and trust me, it is always spotted as a bad thing. (I had aggro in my map and I had to fix it).
Thats why creeps should be in U regions.

And I'm using destructible rocks."

me too, I am using them to avoid aggro,

Level 22
that may lead to aggro (being attacked by just walking), and trust me, it is always spotted as a bad thing. (I had aggro in my map and I had to fix it).

Turtle Rock has those green camps in pathways and it is considered a great melee map. If I remember correctly, RoC Ogre Mound had pathway creeps as the main aspect and it was a fun map (since early harassment meant rushing the red camp or waiting for night). It really depends on the craftsmanship of the mapmaker and how he implements it in the map. Like in any media, the things should have a deeper reason behind them. My advice would be not to put them on the main paths but rather on a side path (like in Turtle Rock) - to play it safe.

Btw @Ragnaros17 I took a quick look at your map. Seems nice overall, I'm not a big fan of the 4-layered roads but that's subjective. Have you considered adding a slight fog or changing the lighting from Underground to something different? I guess it doesn't matter that much but the Underground lighting doesn't have a day/night cycle in visuals (though it wouldn't feel like underground with other lighting, heh). In terms of balance I'd say the positioning of stuff is good, maybe too many rocks in unnecessary places. The item drops feel way too powerful and plentiful. Don't forget to add item drops to the GMs where player bases are (idk whether judges care about this since it's 4v4, just to be sure).

Level 29
Turtle Rock has those green camps in pathways and it is considered a great melee map. If I remember correctly, RoC Ogre Mound had pathway creeps as the main aspect and it was a fun map (since early harassment meant rushing the red camp or waiting for night). It really depends on the craftsmanship of the mapmaker and how he implements it in the map. Like in any media, the things should have a deeper reason behind them. My advice would be not to put them on the main paths but rather on a side path (like in Turtle Rock) - to play it safe.

Btw @Ragnaros17 I took a quick look at your map. Seems nice overall, I'm not a big fan of the 4-layered roads but that's subjective. Have you considered adding a slight fog or changing the lighting from Underground to something different? I guess it doesn't matter that much but the Underground lighting doesn't have a day/night cycle in visuals (though it wouldn't feel like underground with other lighting, heh). In terms of balance I'd say the positioning of stuff is good, maybe too many rocks in unnecessary places. The item drops feel way too powerful and plentiful. Don't forget to add item drops to the GMs where player bases are (idk whether judges care about this since it's 4v4, just to be sure).

Turtle Rock has those green camps in pathways....

it may lead aggro, and people may not like it, but as you say it can be interesting in corner paths or that stuff.

I'm not a big fan of the 4-layered roads but that's subjective.

underground tile set is not that wow great tile-set, so the roads is to make some difference and have different tile-sets areas.

subjective. Have you considered adding a slight fog or changing the lighting from Underground to something different?

-yeah I can put another ligthing from other tile if it feels to much dark, didnt considered it yet.

-maybe too many rocks in unnecessary places.

they are my key to avoid aggro, I dont want to remove then since aggro can be -5 points wich is important (goldmines and lateral paths with creeps). Thats the price for having a very small map for 4v4.

-The item drops feel way too powerful and plentiful.
gonna study it.

-Don't forget to add item drops to the GMs where player bases are (idk whether judges care about this since it's 4v4, just to be sure).

yes of course, just I didnt decide what put yet(probably perma or charged level 3.

thanks, hope to see your wip soon.

Level 12
Oh, it is a shame that I find this just now :/

I just came back to W3 after like 8 years or so and I am excited to do some meelee maps.

But I still have 11 days off from work so there may be still some time for me :)

can you count me in? :p, I have already few ideas in my head

Level 29
Oh, it is a shame that I find this just now :/

I just came back to W3 after like 8 years or so and I am excited to do some meelee maps.

But I still have 11 days off from work so there may be still some time for me :)

can you count me in? :p, I have already few ideas in my head

shure, welcome aboard, @Mr.Henci will add you shortly.

try to read the tutorials from the frontpage, is a good way to learn stuff and avoid mistakes. have fun.

Level 12
well, I was making meelee maps in 2004 I think, but that were just prety lame things with almost no solid terrain :p

but I was making only 1v1 maps which IMHO are easier to make than 4v4, but I will try my best

Level 29
@Restor welcome aboard! I'm looking forward for some of yours WIPs.

Finally I have some spare time on my hands, here is some rough sketch WIP. (Still not sure about the elevation.)

looks great, very competitive, what is the playable size??, it seems 160x160 to me.

Level 29
@Ragnaros17 thanks, going for that "asymmetry" symmerty, if it makes sense. Playable size is 168x168 (192x192). Will probably resize it after playtesting this week. Are you done with yours eyecandy placement?

no, I am still on it (doodads 5800), working slow, I increased the size to decorate the borders(to fill the gaps so units wont land with a zeppeling) also it wont end in the camara limits,

I changed the fog and set lordaeron winter ligths because underground has not day/ night change.
also decided to change 1 green creep because I had 2 green creeps poison, bad for orcs.

I am uploading a wip per week as online safe-guard if my pc burns. Maybe I will upload my entry the 5.

(I have to recognice that I wasted my time with the 19 terraining contest, but well I was also taking a rest of my 4v4 map).

Level 22
It's not much but I think I'll settle with this oval layout after at least 3 other versions. Hope you liked Legion.
There's 2 ways how a team can spawn - with portals on sides or a portal in the middle of the team (it'll be a level below normal ground). The portals are guarded by a red camp - I'd want it to be one that sleeps at night. There's a lot of mana burn fel-hounds, though I guess it balances out with a free mana fountain in the middle. Imo it creates more risky situations. Also, the two green camps in the middle drop wands of neutralization. Great against overlord howl or late game casters, not as strong as wand of negation imo. I'm thinking about interchanging the taverns and merc camps. It's a relatively small map for 4v4 with only 160x160 (more like 140x140).

Not sure if I'll make it in time though.

Attachments

• legion_camp.jpg
    legion_camp.jpg
    824.5 KB · Views: 49
  • legion_mini.jpg
    legion_mini.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 346
Level 29
It's not much but I think I'll settle with this oval layout after at least 3 other versions. Hope you liked Legion.
There's 2 ways how a team can spawn - with portals on sides or a portal in the middle of the team (it'll be a level below normal ground). The portals are guarded by a red camp - I'd want it to be one that sleeps at night. There's a lot of mana burn fel-hounds, though I guess it balances out with a free mana fountain in the middle. Imo it creates more risky situations. Also, the two green camps in the middle drop wands of neutralization. Great against overlord howl or late game casters, not as strong as wand of negation imo. I'm thinking about interchanging the taverns and merc camps. It's a relatively small map for 4v4 with only 160x160 (more like 140x140).

sure you will, we will lend you our support.

mirrow the terrain, mirrow the wood, the doodads, the creeps mirrow everything.

design a doodad mix (rocks+ mushroom + plants + what ever) and copy paste like a machine gun ra-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta
comon buddy dont let me down.

by the way
interesting to have the mana fountain in the middle,

Level 12
well... I mostly like three maps specially

1) Lost Temple
2) Turtle Rock
3) Echo Isles

Frankly, most meelee maps are in the basis the same concept over and over again. One player on the one side and the other on the second side and everything is mirrored. Terenas stand, amazonia, Last refuge .... one natural closer to the player, other goldmine guarded by the red camp, one tavern in the center, two shops, two mercenary camps etc. etc.

These three maps abovementioned are mirrored too of course, but unlike the other maps, these have imho something more and that makes them unique. Lost Temple for example has the interesting middle section with 8 green camps around the central red camp with the fountain, and natural goldmines have pretty unusual placement too

Turtle rock on the other hand is unique with the two camps which drop the indestructible eyes which makes the gamplay different than on "typical" maps. And also it is map for 4, but there are (besides 4 naturals ofc) only two mines with red camps. And Turtle rock is also very interesting to play even for two players because they can be dropped one next to other and that changes gamplay totally

and the Echo isles is unique in the way that both starting positions are in the upper section of the map and both naturals are in the lower section. It is also unusually small map for two players. There are after all only 4 mines, (two starting positions and two naturals)

So I would like to make my map like these three. I.e. nothing too unorthodox (like map with only isles or map where players must dig through the forest to get to the other player and etc., or map with too many waygates) but still nothing too "ordinary" like Terenas stand, amazonia, last refuge (or basically almost every single map in the battle.net ladder map pool)

Level 18
Hoi, am I in time?
Haven't had too much time these last months, so I waited until I was sure-ish I could finish in time.

Here's some WIPs

I decided to go for a really simple timbermaw hold style map, with an ambitious terrain idea.
Maybe not the best layout, maybe there's too many creeps, oh well.

@JSRGN The name will be Northmarsh Ruin, does that sound ok?

Attachments

• NMR_WIP_01.jpg
    NMR_WIP_01.jpg
    906 KB · Views: 58
  • NMR_WIP_02.jpg
    NMR_WIP_02.jpg
    958.7 KB · Views: 68
  • NMR_WIP_03.jpg
    NMR_WIP_03.jpg
    709.8 KB · Views: 42
  • NMR_WIP_04.jpg
    NMR_WIP_04.jpg
    794.4 KB · Views: 346
  • NMR_WIP_05.jpg
    NMR_WIP_05.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
  • NMR_WIP_06.jpg
    NMR_WIP_06.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 72
  • NMR_WIP_07.jpg
    NMR_WIP_07.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
Level 20
@Arrr nice to see you joining, just in time to get in :D

Since we have reached the limit of 20 participants, I've created a waiting list. It will serve us in the case, if some participant won't be able to finish their map in time, allowing mappers from the waiting list to take their spot. (We might discuss extensions of participant list/deadline in case, that we will see how many mappers managed to finish their maps. Now it is too early, since there are 7 participants without WIP, which isn't bad, just saying it is too soon to talk about extensions.)

Soon it will be 4 weeks since the contest started and I must say, that I'm pleased to see so many good looking maps. Hope you people will find enought time and energy to finish them till the deadline.

Good luck and happy mapping! :)

Level 12
well, I started just today, only a few basic steps are done. The size is 192x192 (playable 176 x 176)

The center will have a life/mana well and 8 waygates which teleports you to the oposite side (e.g. from 12 clock to 6 clock, from 9 to 3 etc.) The center itself is not going to be very walkable (plan is that there should be very narrow ways from waygates to the well, so the teleport will be a way faster way to move around)

And the outer circle of the map (beyond the starting location) is the place for the natural expansions (there will be totally 16 goldmines besides the starting ones, so each player gets 2 additional goldmines), but they will be paired, so each two players will kind of share two mines together (I am planning some barier between them though)

Only thing I didnt figure out yet is the position of the tavern(s) and other neutral buildings. For now I want to go with 2 taverns, 4 shops, 2 mercenary camps and two goblin laboratories. Maybe I can fit one or two marketplaces in the inner circle near the well.

EDIT: As Ahmed the dead terrorist taught me: location! location! location! so... almost for four hours I was playing with MS paint to try to figure out the location of stuffs in my map

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    532.1 KB · Views: 118
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 125
  • Mirage map.jpg
    Mirage map.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Mirage map 2.jpg
    Mirage map 2.jpg
    757.6 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I've gotten mixed up with irl projects and other maps so I've slacked off on my "revamp" so far.

After NY I promise to put good wips in and finish it :)

And happy NY to all from me, pre-hand.

Level 29
@Restor welcome aboard! I'm looking forward for some of yours WIPs.

Finally I have some spare time on my hands, here is some rough sketch WIP. (Still not sure about the elevation.)

Here is my first WIP.
I have the basics down but I need to fill some of the blanks and finish the symmetry.
I'll try to post a playable map in the next few days
Hoi, am I in time?
Haven't had too much time these last months, so I waited until I was sure-ish I could finish in time.

Here's some WIPs

I decided to go for a really simple timbermaw hold style map, with an ambitious terrain idea.
Maybe not the best layout, maybe there's too many creeps, oh well.

@JSRGN The name will be Northmarsh Ruin, does that sound ok?
well, I started just today, only a few basic steps are done. The size is 192x192 (playable 176 x 176)

The center will have a life/mana well and 8 waygates which teleports you to the oposite side (e.g. from 12 clock to 6 clock, from 9 to 3 etc.) The center itself is not going to be very walkable (plan is that there should be very narrow ways from waygates to the well, so the teleport will be a way faster way to move around)

And the outer circle of the map (beyond the starting location) is the place for the natural expansions (there will be totally 16 goldmines besides the starting ones, so each player gets 2 additional goldmines), but they will be paired, so each two players will kind of share two mines together (I am planning some barier between them though)

Only thing I didnt figure out yet is the position of the tavern(s) and other neutral buildings. For now I want to go with 2 taverns, 4 shops, 2 mercenary camps and two goblin laboratories. Maybe I can fit one or two marketplaces in the inner circle near the well.

EDIT: As Ahmed the dead terrorist taught me: location! location! location! so... almost for four hours I was playing with MS paint to try to figure out the location of stuffs in my map

Cavalry of great mappers arrived.

All looking great!!

Level 20
@Aggiba great to hear that, there is still a big chance, that the participants limit will be raised after we discuss it with the judges.

@JaleVeliki what's the problem? If you mean, that contest is currently only for 20 participants, you have to understand that judging all those map in judge's free time, while staying objective and honest isn't a easy task. Also, every Hive contest should be wrapped up in some reasonable time.

Level 12
when I'm mapping, I'm starting to feel like I'm 17 again :-D, many things are coming to my mind again which I thought I forgot :p

I dont know if everybody know that simple thing, but just in case - when you are placing trees, turn on the ground pathing. That will guarantee that you will not make any unwanted space in the trees

Level 29
when I'm mapping, I'm starting to feel like I'm 17 again :-D, many things are coming to my mind again which I thought I forgot :p

I dont know if everybody know that simple thing, but just in case - when you are placing trees, turn on the ground pathing. That will guarantee that you will not make any unwanted space in the trees

yup, but not only trees.

when you are placing any kind of doodads P activated.

upload_2018-12-30_18-4-42.png

Level 4
I checked out your map Ragnaros17, pretty awesome, looks like a ton of work went into it. I must admit there are so many places on it I kinda got lost lol . . great variation in terrain and creeps.

Level 12
another wip, the proto-terrain of the first fourth of the map is complete. This will be used to copy itself to the other 3/4 of the map.

But for now it is still flat, so next thing I will have to make hills and shallow water everywhere to make it feel "more alive"

Doodads other than trees (rocks, buildings, decoration, etc.) will be placed after the terrain will be done. The final step will be placing creeps and balancing the items dropped by the creeps
WIP.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.