1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Melee Mapping Contest #3 - 4 vs 4

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Mr.Henci, Dec 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yep, didn't listen back then.

Gonna go with symetry instead of random then. Since I'm starting from scratch I'm gonna focus on balance this time too :)

Got questions to ask the top cats running this. Are custom item tables out? And are breakable rocks allowed? Cuz I'm using some.

2. Mr.Henci

Mr.Henci

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @sentrywiz custom itesm - not allowed, destrutible rocks - allowed, but it can get fiddly

3. mafe

mafe

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Custom items no, custom tables with regular items should be ok. However I think that 95% of times I would not recommend it.
    Under no circumstances you should do stuff like having odds that dont add up to 100%, or use items from classes other than permanen/charged/powerup.

4. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
  5. No custom items, just item tables.
    I am using them to add a random spice to it.

100% drop chance for creeps protecting buildings.
    20-30% drop chance for creeps protecting pathways.
    If I can have creeps protecting pathways, I can also have item tables.
    My aim is to make it fun and random.

And I'm using destructible rocks. Fiddly or not, they're useful.

6. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    If I can have creeps protecting pathways.

that may lead to aggro (being attacked by just walking), and trust me, it is always spotted as a bad thing. (I had aggro in my map and I had to fix it).
    Thats why creeps should be in U regions.

And I'm using destructible rocks."

me too, I am using them to avoid aggro,

7. Knecht

Knecht

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Turtle Rock has those green camps in pathways and it is considered a great melee map. If I remember correctly, RoC Ogre Mound had pathway creeps as the main aspect and it was a fun map (since early harassment meant rushing the red camp or waiting for night). It really depends on the craftsmanship of the mapmaker and how he implements it in the map. Like in any media, the things should have a deeper reason behind them. My advice would be not to put them on the main paths but rather on a side path (like in Turtle Rock) - to play it safe.

Btw @Ragnaros17 I took a quick look at your map. Seems nice overall, I'm not a big fan of the 4-layered roads but that's subjective. Have you considered adding a slight fog or changing the lighting from Underground to something different? I guess it doesn't matter that much but the Underground lighting doesn't have a day/night cycle in visuals (though it wouldn't feel like underground with other lighting, heh). In terms of balance I'd say the positioning of stuff is good, maybe too many rocks in unnecessary places. The item drops feel way too powerful and plentiful. Don't forget to add item drops to the GMs where player bases are (idk whether judges care about this since it's 4v4, just to be sure).

8. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    Turtle Rock has those green camps in pathways....

it may lead aggro, and people may not like it, but as you say it can be interesting in corner paths or that stuff.

I'm not a big fan of the 4-layered roads but that's subjective.

underground tile set is not that wow great tile-set, so the roads is to make some difference and have different tile-sets areas.

subjective. Have you considered adding a slight fog or changing the lighting from Underground to something different?

-yeah I can put another ligthing from other tile if it feels to much dark, didnt considered it yet.

-maybe too many rocks in unnecessary places.

they are my key to avoid aggro, I dont want to remove then since aggro can be -5 points wich is important (goldmines and lateral paths with creeps). Thats the price for having a very small map for 4v4.

-The item drops feel way too powerful and plentiful.
    gonna study it.

-Don't forget to add item drops to the GMs where player bases are (idk whether judges care about this since it's 4v4, just to be sure).

yes of course, just I didnt decide what put yet(probably perma or charged level 3.

thanks, hope to see your wip soon.

9. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh, it is a shame that I find this just now :/

I just came back to W3 after like 8 years or so and I am excited to do some meelee maps.

But I still have 11 days off from work so there may be still some time for me :)

can you count me in? :p, I have already few ideas in my head

10. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    shure, welcome aboard, @Mr.Henci will add you shortly.

try to read the tutorials from the frontpage, is a good way to learn stuff and avoid mistakes. have fun.

11. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
    well, I was making meelee maps in 2004 I think, but that were just prety lame things with almost no solid terrain :p

but I was making only 1v1 maps which IMHO are easier to make than 4v4, but I will try my best

12. Mr.Henci

Mr.Henci

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Restor welcome aboard! I'm looking forward for some of yours WIPs.

Finally I have some spare time on my hands, here is some rough sketch WIP. (Still not sure about the elevation.)

WIP1
    WIP1.jpg

13. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    looks great, very competitive, what is the playable size??, it seems 160x160 to me.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  14. Mr.Henci

Mr.Henci

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Ragnaros17 thanks, going for that "asymmetry" symmerty, if it makes sense. Playable size is 168x168 (192x192). Will probably resize it after playtesting this week. Are you done with yours eyecandy placement?

15. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    no, I am still on it (doodads 5800), working slow, I increased the size to decorate the borders(to fill the gaps so units wont land with a zeppeling) also it wont end in the camara limits,

I changed the fog and set lordaeron winter ligths because underground has not day/ night change.
    also decided to change 1 green creep because I had 2 green creeps poison, bad for orcs.

I am uploading a wip per week as online safe-guard if my pc burns. Maybe I will upload my entry the 5.

(I have to recognice that I wasted my time with the 19 terraining contest, but well I was also taking a rest of my 4v4 map).

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  16. Knecht

Knecht

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's not much but I think I'll settle with this oval layout after at least 3 other versions. Hope you liked Legion.
    There's 2 ways how a team can spawn - with portals on sides or a portal in the middle of the team (it'll be a level below normal ground). The portals are guarded by a red camp - I'd want it to be one that sleeps at night. There's a lot of mana burn fel-hounds, though I guess it balances out with a free mana fountain in the middle. Imo it creates more risky situations. Also, the two green camps in the middle drop wands of neutralization. Great against overlord howl or late game casters, not as strong as wand of negation imo. I'm thinking about interchanging the taverns and merc camps. It's a relatively small map for 4v4 with only 160x160 (more like 140x140).

Not sure if I'll make it in time though.

Attached Files:

17. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    sure you will, we will lend you our support.

mirrow the terrain, mirrow the wood, the doodads, the creeps mirrow everything.

design a doodad mix (rocks+ mushroom + plants + what ever) and copy paste like a machine gun ra-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta
    comon buddy dont let me down.

by the way
    interesting to have the mana fountain in the middle,

18. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
    well... I mostly like three maps specially

1) Lost Temple
    2) Turtle Rock
    3) Echo Isles

Frankly, most meelee maps are in the basis the same concept over and over again. One player on the one side and the other on the second side and everything is mirrored. Terenas stand, amazonia, Last refuge .... one natural closer to the player, other goldmine guarded by the red camp, one tavern in the center, two shops, two mercenary camps etc. etc.

These three maps abovementioned are mirrored too of course, but unlike the other maps, these have imho something more and that makes them unique. Lost Temple for example has the interesting middle section with 8 green camps around the central red camp with the fountain, and natural goldmines have pretty unusual placement too

Turtle rock on the other hand is unique with the two camps which drop the indestructible eyes which makes the gamplay different than on "typical" maps. And also it is map for 4, but there are (besides 4 naturals ofc) only two mines with red camps. And Turtle rock is also very interesting to play even for two players because they can be dropped one next to other and that changes gamplay totally

and the Echo isles is unique in the way that both starting positions are in the upper section of the map and both naturals are in the lower section. It is also unusually small map for two players. There are after all only 4 mines, (two starting positions and two naturals)

So I would like to make my map like these three. I.e. nothing too unorthodox (like map with only isles or map where players must dig through the forest to get to the other player and etc., or map with too many waygates) but still nothing too "ordinary" like Terenas stand, amazonia, last refuge (or basically almost every single map in the battle.net ladder map pool)

19. DuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckGoose

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Here is my first WIP.
    I have the basics down but I need to fill some of the blanks and finish the symmetry.
    I'll try to post a playable map in the next few days

Attached Files:

20. Arrr

Arrr

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hoi, am I in time?
    Haven't had too much time these last months, so I waited until I was sure-ish I could finish in time.

Here's some WIPs

I decided to go for a really simple timbermaw hold style map, with an ambitious terrain idea.
    Maybe not the best layout, maybe there's too many creeps, oh well.

@JSRGN The name will be Northmarsh Ruin, does that sound ok?

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.