1. Head to the 33rd Modeling Contest Poll and drink to your heart's desire.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Melee Mapping Contest #3 - 4 vs 4

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Mr.Henci, Dec 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knecht

Knecht

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @mafe lol, I might think of another title for my map then :cgrin: I still have some scrapped names like "Burning Throne" and "Legion's Demise". Legion's End rolls nicely off the tongue though.

@Restor Yup. I'll change it to Melee Latest Patch for the final version, that'll solve it.

2. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
    I thought you are from CZ because of your name. I am from Slovakia btw.

3. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    How did you come to that conclusion? Doesn't that word (the name) mean servant in Dutch?

4. XanderD

XanderD

Resources:
    Resources:
    And in German.

@Knecht "Legion's Demise" sounds great. I also love the Felwood tileset but there will be a lot of people who will complain about all the mana burn.

5. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't know a single word from Dutch, so I had no idea that that word exists in Dutch too :p, but because I understand czech almost perfectly, I know that Knecht means something like soldier in medieval army. Google says that it came from German origin actually. So maybe Dutch and Czech word is from the same root.

Anyway, we are OT now, that's why I am uploading another WIP.

Attached Files:

6. XanderD

XanderD

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Restor you probably mean the "Landsknecht" which were late medieval/early renaissance mercenaries, mostly Germans and mostly armed with pikes.

Also another WIP:
    wipxd10.png
    I will probably upload the map today or tomorrow.

7. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
    Looks cool

Barrens?

8. XanderD

XanderD

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Restor yes, which makes our maps look similar at the first glance. But we got a very different layout and I added some grass tiles from other tilesets to feature some oases in the center.

9. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, I have yet to make tileset variations. Now it is just grass everywhere.

and of course there are almost no doodads yet.

And what is supposed to be in the center? Tavern?

10. XanderD

XanderD

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nope - there are gold mines.

And here's my entry:
    Golden Oases

There's also one picture attached which includes a more detailed description of this map.

11. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:

Ehm? Orange camps? In ladder maps it is usual to have red camps on the starting locations

12. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
    @XanderD - strange, in your map it is showing me that it is no meelee map

but I quite like the unorthodox starting position with two entrances against each other. So the clasical "meta" wall off wont work there.

13. XanderD

XanderD

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes, that is always the case when I pick that it should use the latest patch.

I adressed that in my explanation. The smaller entrances can be blocked off from Heroes with one building like a Barracks/Crypt/Graveyard/Blacksmith/Ancient of War/Hunter's Hall/any Shop... while the larger one can be blocked off with the combination of an Altar, a Barracks and a Burrow (for Orcs) or an Altar, a Crypt/Graveyard and a Ziggurat (for Undead) or an Altar, an Ancient of War and a Moonwell (for Night Elves) or an Altar, a Barracks and two Farms (for Humans). So with just four usual early buildings you can still block off both entrances and will even have more room to build inside this "safe space". Of course this would leave the issue that Heroes would teleport inside this "safe space" and be stuck. But if you put the Altar next to the Barracks in the larger entrance there would be a single gap wide enough to allow a Hero through - but then also these pesky Blademasters. But these would then also have only this single escape route which could, if necessary, be blocked off by a single farm quick enough to trap that Blademaster while you could still teleport in for support and then abort the building of this farm (or whatever) to get out again quickly enough.
    So yes, it is unorthodox but it is not impossible to wall off your base.

14. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Mr.Henci

@ Everybody

I think at this point an extention is unavoidable (7 days remain, only 2 finished entries).

It may be wise to make the extention till, 15-16 jan so people can use also the sunday 13 to finish the map.

15. Mr.Henci

Mr.Henci

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Ragnaros17 we will see how many entries will show up till thurstday/friday.

16. mafe

mafe

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I have my map in a state where it I could regard it as finished, or spend 10+ more hours perfectioning doodad placement. I just see no point in uploading (i.e. creating the resource) almost one week before the end, as I will keep working on it. My impression is that several of the other maps can also be finished in time.
    I mean, we have planned right from the start for this contest to have more time than usual. However, if some others would think that an extension benefits the quality of the contest, then I wouldnt argue against it.

17. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
    I just think that if you will allow the extension of the deadline, then it will be fair to allow the guys who already uploaded final thing to maybe improve it in the extra given time, because they were counting with the original deadline.

Just my opinion.

18. Knecht

Knecht

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Imo having only 2 entries by now doesn't prove anything about the state of other maps. Many people will submit their entry on the last day like irl.

19. Arrr

Arrr

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    my map is finished gameplay-wise, I'm just placing doodads and polishing now.
    I guess most entries are in this phase aswell, so for now there is no reason for an extension imo.

20. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    yup, wise idea.

"I just see no point in uploading (i.e. creating the resource) almost one week before the end."

it may be wise to those who have little free time during week, and leave all to the saturday last day, it may be a lot of bad luck a file corrupt or an electric shut-down just that day.

However, if some others would think that an extension benefits the quality of the contest, then I wouldnt argue against it.""

I am not talking about quality, is just a contest can´t be ended with 2 entries, since we are 21 users, (and I was considering that during weeks activity is much less than during saturday and sunday).

yes Of course, if the deadline is made, updates are free to go before the "new deadline",

From one point of view your are right, but what I think is:
    - maybe many people don´t have that free time during weeks.
    - this sunday is done, so maybe some or many users just only have the saturday 12 to properly have all the day to finish the map.
    - I saw things/post fast, but my impresion is that I saw maps that are, maybe far away from being finished.

but I agree with @Mr.Henci, Friday will be the day to count how many entries are to think about the deadline.

Many people will submit their entry on the last day like irl."
    Internet shut-down, electric shut down, your girlfriend wants to go on a a full day trip with you, never leave things to last day, is bad luck.

Great to hear.

Just to be clear, I don´t want an extention,
    but I don´t want to put preasure badly to those who didn´t finished.
    or that half people may not finish the 12,
    the thing is with few entries we can´t end the contest properly.

Again @Mr.Henci idea is the wiser, wait till friday and then start counting entries and ask people how are going with their maps.
    I wanted to start the topic now, so it would have more views than during the week.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.