• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #2 - HQ Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
I'm working hard ... here another WIP info. This time a picture... haha but for real, it's again a text :p

Attachments

• ArcanePerseverance.JPG
    ArcanePerseverance.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 158
Level 18
I'm working hard ... here another WIP info. This time a picture... haha but for real, it's again a text :p

Fix the
ist ==> is
Arcance ==> Arcane
in your tooltip :p

I think you guys can count me in with the Battle Priest if everything is going fine.

Do tooltips have to be that big? It looks nice, but I thought smaller tooltips were a lot better for playability. I got a more Warcraft-like tooltip on the passive I was working on.

Last edited:
Level 17
Paladon said:
GUI has usually been judged without further decreasment of possible marks just because it's GUI (in the past).
Well I see...
If I had a bit more time between the day I finish exams and the deadline, I would have done it in Jass, but since I'm more used to GUI I won't.
I'm not even sure I have enough time to do it in GUI...

@ hvo-busterkomo:
I'm not sure I could get done with it by the deadline, but also sign me in if you're signing Kingz in... although I'm thinking of a Poison hero, I'm not sure so keep it as Unknown.

Level 16
@xD.Schurke
That is some nice ideas you got there, i hope i will be able to match my hero idea with yours.
Though it does sound a bit complex and reminds me of something like reverse engineering skill.

this single spell is realy complex. I nearly needed 4hours to finish this spell. Magical Spheres will be some own small units. I will base them on a struct and will let them fly around the caster... hope I get it good looking ;)

edit: btw. this spell is passiv, so even more complex .P

Level 18
Balance, originality, visual appearance (I guess lol)

Kinda hard to rate something on visual appearance that you can import from THW (unless it is the spells).

How to make nice screenshots of the spell tooltips by the way? (I got icy terrain and that makes it kinda transparent in-game.

Level 9
At last, hero contest. I might actually join that one. I have a question:

Can I make more than 4 skills if the hero has 4 at a time(in the precise case I mean having different skills during the day and night)

If I don't change the concept my hero will be some kind of light/darkness keeper of balance in the Universe or sth.

Level 15
I think when it states 4 skills, it means 4 skills that the hero can learn. Even if you have a spellbook with 100 spell, I think its still acceptable, as long as the spellbook itself is one spell the hero can learn.
The example above is retarded, ignore it or you'll make a hero based of that concept XD
Anyway, good luck everyone!
EDIT: A WIP, showcases Fire Rush (the only spell I made today -_-, having holidays now) my first JASS spell that I didn't rip off from one source or another. Notice that caster is not pause/invulnerable(?)
57153d1244544497-hero-contest-2-firstwip.jpg

Attachments

• FirstWIP.jpg
    FirstWIP.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 167
Level 18
I have been working on a test map
This is still just a little wip so things can be differ a lot.

Edit: pc failed and didn't post the wip...

Attachments

• Hero Map.PNG
    Hero Map.PNG
    2.4 MB · Views: 114
Level 18
I fail to see hot that is a battle priest :p
It more looks like a modified mountain king with cooler armor...
Even the spell breaker looks more a battle priest :p
My opinion only though...

I know it doesn't really look like a priest and the spells I am making are not that priesty either...
I hope I am not losing points for that since I think my spells fit the hero, but not the name (Battle Priest)

Is there a way to post good in-game tooltips here?

Last edited:
Level 18
One little question
How many levels do skills need to have?
I know that Warcraft skills usually have 3 levels for the basic spells, but does that count for this contest?

Edit: make it two questions
The model I am using might be called Battle Priest, but am I allowed to change this to fit the theme of my spell build?

Level 16
One little question
How many levels do skills need to have?
I know that Warcraft skills usually have 3 levels for the basic spells, but does that count for this contest?

Well, remember the max level of your hero will be 10 (since it should be well balanced compared to the existing heroes), so i believe 3 lvls is a well rounded amount, not sure if it has to be that way though.

Level 15
Can we discuss the part about balance? Because melee heroes are rather hard to balance with. They have imba stun durations for some spells (War Stomp), horrible damage for others (Carrion Swarm, its maximum damage is horrible), imbalanced spells (Chemical Rage, 125% attack speed and 50% movement speed for 25 mana...), hyper spammable spells (Blizzard -_-), spells that are crap in melee but imba in certain other genres of games (Spiked Carapace, its crazy when you're using NA against PA in DotA, if you know what I mean). There are also many other kinds of spells that are impossible to compare balance to (Big Bad Voodoo, Locust Swarm, Hex - 45 seconds - and other spells).
Thus, can I suggest that you tweak the balance criteria? Why not create some simple basic hero in a test map with a simple AI for people to import their heroes into. Then we can just test the balance there (if one hero pwns another in seconds, balance is not achieved).
I mean, seriously, Blizzard kinda rigged Blademaster in melee game don't you agree? Windwalk gives crazy assasination potential early game, Mirror Image is crap but almost no one learns it anyway, Critical Strike gives a 15% chance to do a 4x critical and Bladestorm pawns if you do it right after windwalking into a huge army.
But if you want to keep the criteria that way, I'm fine. Its easy to balance numbers. But that makes stuff unfun :(

PS: Lol, random argument XD

Level 18
Balancing is indeed going to be difficult. I never play Arranged Team games normally and seeing how the spell I made is kinda complex this is gonna be a difficult job. I will do my best ^^
Most damage spells can be good against groups or just on 1 vs 1 fights.

I made a test map, but situations there are not always the real situations when playing.

Level 18
Also, it doesnt say anything in the rules but you should probably name that a good test map is needed :)

Else you can just go for the plain starting shit ;)

EDIT:

My hero will be a thunder hero so you know ;)

Kinda like my thing :p
My hero now is partially a thunder hero and I have been working on the test-map quite a lot now. It indeed looks like a spellmaking contest since you can just use others heroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.