• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #2 - HQ Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Kinda like my thing :p
My hero now is partially a thunder hero and I have been working on the test-map quite a lot now. It indeed looks like a spellmaking contest since you can just use others heroes.

I don't think this is just a spellmaking contest, it's something more.

I mean, you need to make 4 spells that have a common theme, a nice concept and is well balanced.

So yeah.. I think it's a lot more than just making 4 spells and slapping them on a hero! :D

Level 6
Well the rating basicly goes to the spells i think :p If you just make some spells that doesnt work you wont win how nice the concept and fitting is XD But still yeah. There is a bit more.

Level 16
here some more concept screens... this time a concept drawing of the 'Magical Sphere' - Movement ... just that you see that I work realy hard to get a perfect hero :p

Attachments

• SphereMovement.JPG
    SphereMovement.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 99
Level 22
My ultimate is done, thought asking the judge about a system so wont screenshot it but take a look at the tooltip.

Lightning Chains

The lord causes lightnings around him, catching nearby enemy units within 400 range of the lord, causing them to spin around the lord attached to the lightnings. During spinning around the lord, the lord deals 40 duration damage for every second channeled time. Lasts 4 seconds.

Got a half nuke done too ;)

Level 25
Btw xD.Schurke why is that hard?
It is almost too easy :p
Take an distance from source, and maximum height and u can easily calculate the neccesary height and rotation speed change.
Also i think you could find a perfect equation for that on the internet anyway :p
Also gained a nice idea about my clockwerk hero, really nice^^

Level 18
I know but you say double meaning stuff sometimes.
Btw are really minor stuff like unit's shadows, stats and damage type neccesary to be custom?

Been working a lot today on getting a balanced and nice looking hero so I guess yes :p
(Some values are the same for all heroes so I think those won't need customization like build time and cost.)

Balancing is a pain in the ass with weird spells D:

/@ Septimus I don't know about your ward spell, but your FAIL spell did not fail at all so I know you can do it :)

Level 15
Holy! Look at this post!
v1.23 Patch
The Warcraft v1.23b patch will fix the return bug and disable loads of older JASS function :(
It would benefit those who use GUI (they added new functions) but not those who work with JASS :S
So can we come to an agreement? Should everyone keep with v1.23 until the contest is over or should everyone upgrade when it comes out (should be rather soon I believe)

Progress Report: Nothing New, doing some holiday homework I've been putting off for about a week XD
Expect something in a few hours, this other spells should be relatively simple :D

Level 9
My submit will be about a dwarven technician/mechanic who controls stuff such as air-bots, will use GUI, not JASS, and has a very minor custom skin which I made, which has a brown beard (model - Rifleman, instead of gray beard), and one red arm. Lol, but we aren't being judged on that.

Level 13
Whoa! talk about competition. This is going to be a wild ride. xD

My hero will be a hunter. Not much though. Hopefully it's top 3 material. But I think not... LOL!

Good Luck to all of you! xD

@xD.Schurke I'm expecting another award winning hero spells from you. xD

Level 18
Like f0rsAK3n asked:
Will we be allowed to upload those spells in the spell section since they use custom imports?

Progress:
I have been busy with some balancing jobs and tried to make a start for my ultimate.

Level 22
Like f0rsAK3n asked:
Will we be allowed to upload those spells in the spell section since they use custom imports?

ofc you can, there are no rule that say that you cant have any custom stuff to get rejected only useless ones and icons.

thought maybe models counts to the "useless" ones but dunno maybe hvo gives an exception for the contest

Level 25
Haven't even started yet :p
Still figuring out what should i make, i got a great idea for ultimate of my hero, just need to think of the rest...
Not to worry i can make things fast and school is more important right now, 2 weeks left and i need to concentrate on it for now...
Btw too much lightning effects, but i think it looks better ingame, lightning screenshots are always worse than in the actual game...
Now i have more experience when it comes to contests and i hope to win this one^^

Level 18
ofc you can, there are no rule that say that you cant have any custom stuff to get rejected only useless ones and icons.

thought maybe models counts to the "useless" ones but dunno maybe hvo gives an exception for the contest

The rules say:
Submissions must be free of unnecessary imported material.

I don't know whether it is useless in this situation, but people have the habit of finding any form of import unnecessary (especially the heroes).

Level 22
May the best spellmaker win Kingz ;)

the unnecessary part only uses for hero models not for models that you uses in the spell to make it look even better without WE in-game models

edit: Second spell

like support/aoe over time spell

Lightning Strike

The lord summons a lightning from above, striking himself with it, causing him to get a temporary armor and healthpoint regenation increase, also the lightning strike leaves a static shield on the lord, dealing all enemy units in his way.Duration increases by level.

Level 1 - 1 armor, 13 damage per second.
Level 2 - 2 armor, 24 damage per second.
Level 3 - 4 armor, 40 damage per second.

Level 15
Actually, you do not really need custom models. I don't think that's judged.
As long as you don't call a Hydra a cat or a Furbolg a Footman or something, it should be fine. The criteria is as follow:

OriginalityHow original the hero is. Small derivations of standard WC3 heroes won't yield much score in this category. /5

Balance
How balanced the hero is compared to standard melee heroes. /5

Coding
How leak free, efficient, and well structured the coding of the map is./10

Theme
How well the abilities fit the theme of the hero. This also includes the synergy between abilities./10

There's nothing about appearance (unfortunately) so I guess it doesn't matter if the hero's spell has little special effects (complete lack of special effects is unacceptable, jk)
Anyway, good luck to all.
EDIT: No progress for me. Too busy playing XD

Last edited:
Level 18
I have been working on my ultimate spell and the result looks quite awesome...
If I just knew how to use knockback thingies for a MUI spell it would be totally awesome :D

First time I make a spell this triggered :O

Level 18
my tooltips are wc3 based, nothing wrong with that if you got the hotkey right ...

@ forsaken

looks alittle like yearights soul shatter there

Ofcourse I do the hotkeys right :p
I think non-Warcraft 3 tooltips look cooler... but I thought it would lower my score.

I got 3 nice abilities atm, but I wanted to add more things to them :p

Status
Not open for further replies.