• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #8 - Joint: Artist & Coder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Why does no one ever post images of the spell in action?! I don't care about your code / object editor data! Let me see the good stuff!
Ah dannae, I've just never been in the habit of doing that. Mostly because I have no way of recording stuff like that (I know people use weird acronyms like FRAPS and GRAPS and grapes and bananas and whatever else stuff they use...).

Also, I don't think my spells are necessarily all that impressive in-game (at least, not visually); it's more about what it does, and especially what it does in relation to the Hero & his other abilities.

Well as long as we're doing Code WIP's here's my first one (with teaser names for the other abilities) The first ability is fully coded (sans documentation)
Hmhmhm... If I didn't know any better, I'd say that this is indeed... *checks date of A.R.'s Duelist upload*... Ahm. Yep. It's him everyone. : D

Very interesting. I'm curious to see how you sell a Blood Elf as being in the Neutral, hireable/mercenary Tavern (not impossible, just... challenging : P).

Just finished coding up my second ability (corpse crusher), sadly my Warcraft isn't permitting me to make proper screenshots at the moment so instead you can have a look at the current object data I've got going on

Attachments

• Code WIP 2.png
    Code WIP 2.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 149

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Hey, quick question; is anyone else having/finding issues with the provided base map (Turtle Rock)? Like, pre-existing buffs or units or whatever?

Looks interesting, subscribing, and might suddenly hop in (if i can find a partner fast) and if i done what im suppose to do before too close to deadline
Vunderbar! We were running low on artists. I'll go ahead & put you into the table, but you should probably post there as well. : )

Nope everything is fine from where I'm sitting.

Finished coding Life Leech - might rework or change Corpse Crusher into a different idea, doesn't blend that well with the melee map that much I feel; have a few others in the mix I may code up just to try out
Will be interesting to see some other WIPs from people, though I suppose this is somewhat more model orientated - can't easily make code heroes which aren't overpowered or very unwarcraftish (particularly in the case of avoiding introducing mechanics that aren't in the normal game)

Might ask A.R. to take some screenshots of the hero in action as-is; I think the windows 10 fix patch may've actually disabled my normal screenshotting capabilities. possible I'll see if I can get it to work if I run in windowed mode.

Edit: Here we go I can take screenshots in windowed mode (god it's awkward playing like that)
Please note that all effects and models are dummied and will later be changed/replaced with the actual ones so the visuals are by no means done

The screenshots are of Rupturing Stab and Life Leech, naturally both are also missing dedicated animation), notably Rupturing Stab also needs an overhead indicator to further differentiate it from Rupturing Stab, the 3rd Screenshot is them being paired together

Attachments

• Code WIP 3.png
    Code WIP 3.png
    375.1 KB · Views: 176
  • Code WIP 4.png
    Code WIP 4.png
    147.8 KB · Views: 145
  • Code WIP 5.png
    Code WIP 5.png
    682.5 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Level 51
Jeah might do that, but I'm keeping it for now. Who would have thought finding a normal metal chest piece texture would be that difficult.

The "main" body is yet to be changed a bit to make it look more air/wind like (maybe making it transparent, with animated textures, particles and so on).

Attachments

• stormfather01.JPG
    stormfather01.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 158
Level 50
Jeah might do that, but I'm keeping it for now. Who would have thought finding a normal metal chest piece texture would be that difficult.

The "main" body is yet to be changed a bit to make it look more air/wind like (maybe making it transparent, with animated textures, particles and so on).
You could use bandit's texture for the chest. Just make your texture wrap fit in one box vertices (or less if possible) and use the silver armor of bandits arm texture.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
~~~IMPORTANT NOTE FOR CONTESTANTS~~~

Some business as Host: I would like to ordain a method by which modifications to the Contest may be made in a way which is agreeable to all participants. Nothing particularly fancy; basically I just want to say that if something needs changing, it should be done 'by the voice of the people' in that (at least) the majority (and perhaps even a super-majority) of Currently Participating Contestants agree to it. Especially for things like changes to the Rules or the Criteria or what-have-you. (This is of course dependent on the amount of time it takes to reach a decision; a certain reasonable length of time will be spent waiting for a response, but too long and you forfeit the right to help decide, lest the Contest grind to a halt)

~~~

On that note, I present the first adjustment/clarification I would like to offer for your dis/approval:

Can both Members of the Team perform either 'role' for their Team for any reason? If YES, by a certain percentage?

By "role" it is meant that, say, the Coder could work on the Art, and/or the Artist could work on some Code.

By "percentage" it is meant that, if we choose YES, we may choose to limit the amount which can by the 'cross-over' Team-mate (see below).

This ruling would clarify an element of the Criteria which states:
  • If you are both a skilled artist and coder in one, you cannot perform both tasks and be your own team. Choose to team up with another individual who needs a partner and do that part of the tasks.
This would seem to indicate that one should not do the 'others' job, as it were... Yet it is in response to a specific situation (i.e. "someone skilled at both... should not be a one-man team").

Can we agree to allow either Team member to do either part? And if so, should we limit the amount which they can contribute (to make sure not to infringe on the above)?

Participants (@PROXY, @Kyrbi0, @Direfury, @KILLCIDE, @Freddyk, @Cokemonkey11, @HappyCockroach, @Quilnez, @Stefan.K, @Rheiko, @A.R., @Tank-Commander, @Hayate, @Dat-C3) PLEASE GIVE US YOUR THOUGHTS.

(after typing out all those names, I'm very gratified that things are going as well as they are. Even if only half of you finish, that's still 3.5 finished entries ^_^. You guys are awexome.)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
As a participant, in response to the above... I'd vote for YES and probably <50%. I'm a believer that we should keep the Artist doing Art & the Coder doing Code (wouldn't want a talented dude to overtake his 'partner' and just run the whole thing), but at the same time I can see some serious value to being able to, say, help PROXY with some of the mundane SFX work or what-have-you. I could be persuaded to go with a different percentage.

And here is our model WIP:
View attachment 244876
Awwwwww YEAH. Love octopodes. I'm especially pleased to see this beastie showing up finally. : )

Small model WIP from our side too :)
Awexome to see you posting it, man. I will go ahead & do my fancy little write up to post here in the near future. We are gonna rock some socks.

~~~

Just curious, who will judge this contest? Less than a month left but it still has no judge in any of the category.
Excellent question. Currently we're a little short on Judges (anyone have suggestions?): We have a dude lined up as potential Design Judge (though if accepted it will require some slight/severe modifications to the existing Design Criteria, which could potentially change how ya'll are doing things)... Past that I wasn't sure. I'd love to get a multi-focus Artist in, and then perhaps someone like Anitarf to do the Coding.

We will be reaching out here soon to figure that out; if possible I'd love to have the Judges lined up before the Contest ends. Hopefully the reduced workload will keep them from being scared off. : )

I would say that is better to allow to do abit of the other people roles, that allow more teamwork and have things work more seamlessly, for example, there might be something specific that the coder want to alter in the model, and and if he could do it himself, that solve the trouble of conflict, in reverse, could have something else imply, of course it would be definitely a bad idea if one guy do all

I guess just need some sort of proof that 50% of the job are done for their role

Working together also code wise, both could "catching bug" from different people perspective if both can code, the "lead coder" could miss something.

Btw, going to post something around tomorrow, for now no spoiler yet xd

Level 22
Can both Members of the Team perform either 'role' for their Team for any reason?

I think it's useless to define such rule because it's not possible to control it. I mean, if one member of the team helps the other with his tasks, nobody will ever know about it.

Separation of tasks is not really important I believe, what is important is that it is teamwork, and that both members of the team contribute equally to the final product.

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
PLEASE GIVE US YOUR THOUGHTS.

Yes it's fine.

Regarding rule changes: I suggest doing the reverse of byzantine consensus.

For those who don't know obscure distributed system protocols: Byzantine Consensus is a fancy way of saying 2/3 of people agree.

When I say reverse byzantine consensus: I suggest making rule changes okay, so long as *not more* than 1/3 of people *disagree*.

That way if people AFK you can still make things happen.

Speaking of rule changes, I think it's much more important that you address (and be transparent about) the changes suggested by @Softmints, since he is so far the only qualified individual interested in judging.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
~~~IMPORTANT NOTE FOR CONTESTANTS~~~

Some business as Host: Due to a conflict of interest, I have determined it to be in the best interest of the Contest if the Contestants themselves decide who the Design Judge should be for our Contest. Linked here is the Poll; please read & vote carefully.

~~~

ALSO, it appears the general consensus is to allow Teams to arbitrate amongst themselves the division of labor (as long as one person doesn't do all the work, as stated in the Contest Rules), so please feel free. However, it would be appreciated if you keep track of "who does what", even in a general sense.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Btw, going to post something around tomorrow, for now no spoiler yet xd
LIAAAAAR!! : P

I think it's useless to define such rule because it's not possible to control it. I mean, if one member of the team helps the other with his tasks, nobody will ever know about it.
Well, sure. With that rationalization, though, why not forget about defining any rules, like "not using previous stuff" ("I'll just copy/paste from an old map I made; no one can tell!") or "only part of one team" ("I'll fake it with a dummy account!")?

Rules exist to impose order & help us coexist. The existence of rule-breakers does not & cannot allow us to fold to anarchy. The 'honor system' must, for better or worse, exist in some cases as we cannot surveil everyone every minute of every day.

Freddyk said:
Separation of tasks is not really important I believe, what is important is that it is teamwork, and that both members of the team contribute equally to the final product.
I agree, except where you have one super-talented dude who does it all, and a slacker team-mate along for the ride. That's not the point of the Contest.

My teammate Quilnez has been doing some progress with our hero model, and I'll be posting it here:

View attachment 245639

He's a bandit. And he's quite a nasty character. :p

some textures are placeholder..
Noice. Although he looks a tad bit detailed for Warcraft 3... Even for a Portrait? I guess we'll see.

But I'm glad to see a classic "neutral rogue-y bandit" character. : )

silithid_wip4-jpg.245375

Let's rumble :ctwist:

Living in Australia, I didn't have to look far for inspiration. Caught one of these critters trying to scurry up my leg the other night. We have a name for them here which, loosely translated, means "cute and harmless, relatively speaking."
Ahhh!!!

I knew I was in for a good time when A.R. shew'd up. Dat bug is nastay. I like it. My only issue might be the preponderance of pink (salmon?) color on him; it's an awful lot.

Regarding rule changes: I suggest doing the reverse of byzantine consensus.

For those who don't know obscure distributed system protocols: Byzantine Consensus is a fancy way of saying 2/3 of people agree.

When I say reverse byzantine consensus: I suggest making rule changes okay, so long as *not more* than 1/3 of people *disagree*.

That way if people AFK you can still make things happen.
This... This is brilliant. I really rather like this (& it sounds cool too). If you don't mind, I think I might use this in my Make Contests Great Again campaign as the general guideline for "how to make Contest decisions mid-Contest"... Makes a lot of sense & solves problems.

Cokemonkey11 said:
Speaking of rule changes, I think it's much more important that you address (and be transparent about) the changes suggested by @Softmints, since he is so far the only qualified individual interested in judging.
(You would say that... : P)

Softmints is indeed qualified, but there are others (both 'qualified' and 'interested'). See the Poll; we'll decide amongst ourselves.

~~~

Design WIP incoming you guys; just gotta come up with some good Proper Names. (Most important part of any Hero submission; @Cokemonkey11 I'm lookin' at you. : D)

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
Design WIP incoming you guys; just gotta come up with some good Proper Names.

Did you think a hero made by me would have names like "Wursty Mcwurstface", "Scallywag", "First place again lel", or "Notice me Ralle <3"? Of... Of course not.

But in all seriousness, I have added 6 names for our hero. It's up to Freddyk to decide which ones are worth keeping.

LIAAAAAR!! : P

opps XD I lied
but anyway, was going to show concept but i though might as well just skip it
so heres the mesh, pretty much done i think, just need to have some tinkering, a fishing hook and A armour that I haven't add
Btw, the thing on his hand is not a shield, it is a straw hat

Iz a Murloc Fisherman, not sure of that makes any sense at all but whatever :V

Turntable.gif

@Dat-C3

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Did you think a hero made by me would have names like "Wursty Mcwurstface", "Scallywag", "First place again lel", or "Notice me Ralle <3"? Of... Of course not.

But in all seriousness, I have added 6 names for our hero. It's up to Freddyk to decide which ones are worth keeping.
Naw, man, I was being serious. Your name-fu last Contest was on pointe; I'm one of the few who cares about such things & I really appreciated it. : )

opps XD I lied
but anyway, was going to show concept but i though might as well just skip it
so heres the mesh, pretty much done i think, just need to have some tinkering, a fishing hook and A armour that I haven't add
Btw, the thing on his hand is not a shield, it is a straw hat

Iz a Murloc Fisherman, not sure of that makes any sense at all but whatever :V

View attachment 245673

@Dat-C3
Ooh... Direfury won't be glad to see that. : P

Lookin' real cool, man! Almost like it was plucked out of WoW.

By the way, if that fish hook isn't at least as large as his hat, you're fired.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Nah, its fine. I'm aiming for a style that'd better fit WC3.
Actually, I'm gonna have to agree with Direfury here, @Hayate ; it does strike me as very WoW-ish. Watch out, bub. ; P

Direfury said:
Also, we've decided to change direction with our entry. We'll be going with a Deepsea Murloc spellcaster.

a_murlock4-png.245731
Sick! Looks even better. I rather like it. : )

Last edited:

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Code WIP from the magnificent cockroach team incoming!!
JASS:
scope EnsnareTrap

globals
        private constant integer MAIN_SPELL_ID          = 'A000'
        private constant integer MISS_SPELL_ID          = 'A001'
        private constant integer SLOW_SPELL_ID          = 'A002'
        private constant integer MISS_BUFF_ID           = 'B000'
        private constant integer SLOW_BUFF_ID           = 'B001'
        private constant integer DUMMY_CASTER_ID        = 'h000'
        private constant integer NET_DUMMY_ID           = 'h001'
        private constant integer TRAP_DUMMY_ID          = 'h002'
        private constant integer MISS_ORDER_ID          = 852190
        private constant integer SLOW_ORDER_ID          = 852075
        private constant string  NET_MISSILE_MODEL      = "Abilities\\Spells\\Orc\\Ensnare\\EnsnareMissile.mdl"
        private constant string  SPRUNG_EFFECT_MODEL    = "Objects\\Spawnmodels\\Undead\\ImpaleTargetDust\\ImpaleTargetDust.mdl"
        private constant real    MISSILE_LAUNCH_VOFFSET = 100.0
        private constant real    MISSILE_LAUNCH_HOFFSET = 100.0
        private constant real    MISSILE_SPEED          = 15.0
        private constant real    MISSILE_ARC            = 15.0*bj_DEGTORAD
        private constant real    INTERVAL               = 0.03125000
    endglobals

private constant function NetAoE takes integer level returns real
        return 200.0
    endfunction

private constant function NetLifespan takes integer level returns real
        return 2.0+2.0*level
    endfunction

private constant function TrapLifespan takes integer level returns real
        return 60.0
    endfunction

private constant function TrapSprungDelay takes integer level returns real
        return 1.5
    endfunction

private constant function NetTargets takes unit target, player caster returns boolean
        return IsUnitType(target, UNIT_TYPE_GROUND) and not IsUnitType(target, UNIT_TYPE_STRUCTURE)
    endfunction

private constant function TrapTargets takes unit target, player caster returns boolean
        return IsUnitEnemy(target, caster) and NetTargets(target, caster)
    endfunction

native UnitAlive takes unit id returns boolean

private struct EnsnareTrap

Missile missile

unit    net
        unit    caster
        player  owner
        boolean sprung
        integer level

real    targetX
        real    targetY
        real    lifespan
        real    delay
        real    aoe

static group TargetGroup   = CreateGroup()
        static group AffectedGroup = CreateGroup()
        static group TempGroup     = CreateGroup()
        static timer CheckerTimer  = CreateTimer()
        static unit  DummyCaster
        static unit  DummyCaster2

static method check takes nothing returns nothing

local unit fog
            local group container = CreateGroup()

loop
                set fog = FirstOfGroup(TargetGroup)
                exitwhen fog == null
                call GroupRemoveUnit(TargetGroup, fog)
                if (not IsUnitInGroup(fog, AffectedGroup)) then
                    call UnitRemoveAbility(fog, SLOW_BUFF_ID)
                    call UnitRemoveAbility(fog, SLOW_BUFF_ID)
                else
                    call GroupAddUnit(container, fog)
                endif
            endloop

call GroupClear(AffectedGroup)
            call DestroyGroup(TargetGroup)
            set TargetGroup = container
            if (FirstOfGroup(TargetGroup) == null) then
                call TimerStart(CheckerTimer, 0, false, null)
            endif
            set container = null

endmethod

static method onPeriodic takes nothing returns nothing

local timer t = GetExpiredTimer()
            local thistype this = GetTimerData(t)
            local unit fog

if (.lifespan > INTERVAL) then
                if (.sprung) then
                    if (.delay == 0) then
                        set .lifespan = .lifespan - INTERVAL
                        call GroupEnumUnitsInRange(TempGroup, .targetX, .targetY, .aoe, null)
                        loop
                            set fog = FirstOfGroup(TempGroup)
                            exitwhen fog == null
                            call GroupRemoveUnit(TempGroup, fog)
                            if (UnitAlive(fog) and NetTargets(fog, .owner)) then
                                if (not IsUnitInGroup(fog, TargetGroup)) then
                                    call IssueTargetOrderById(DummyCaster2, MISS_ORDER_ID, fog)
                                    call IssueTargetOrderById(DummyCaster, SLOW_ORDER_ID, fog)
                                    call GroupAddUnit(TargetGroup, fog)
                                    if (TimerGetTimeout(CheckerTimer) == 0) then
                                        call TimerStart(CheckerTimer, INTERVAL, true, function thistype.check)
                                    endif
                                endif
                                call GroupAddUnit(AffectedGroup, fog)
                            endif
                        endloop
                    else
                        set .delay = .delay - INTERVAL
                        if (.delay <= 0) then
                            call RemoveUnit(.net)
                            set .net = CreateUnit(.owner, NET_DUMMY_ID, .targetX, .targetY, 0)
                            call DestroyEffect(AddSpecialEffect(SPRUNG_EFFECT_MODEL, .targetX, .targetY))
                            set .lifespan = NetLifespan(.level)
                            set .delay = 0
                        endif
                    endif
                else
                    set .lifespan = .lifespan - INTERVAL
                    loop
                        exitwhen fog == null
                        if (UnitAlive(fog) and TrapTargets(fog, .owner)) then
                            set .sprung = true
                            exitwhen true
                        endif
                    endloop
                    if (fog != null) then
                        call GroupClear(TempGroup)
                        set fog = null
                    endif
                endif
            else
                call KillUnit(.net)
                set .caster = null
                set .net = null
            endif

endmethod

static method onFinish takes Missile missile returns boolean

local thistype this = missile.data

if (.sprung) then
                set .net = CreateUnit(.owner, NET_DUMMY_ID, .targetX, .targetY, 0)
            else
                set .net = CreateUnit(.owner, TRAP_DUMMY_ID, .targetX, .targetY, 0)
            endif
            call TimerStart(NewTimerEx(this), INTERVAL, true, function thistype.onPeriodic)

return true
        endmethod

implement MissileStruct

static method onCast takes nothing returns boolean

local thistype this
            local unit fog
            local real angle
            local real x
            local real y

if (GetSpellAbilityId() == MAIN_SPELL_ID) then
                set this = allocate()
                set .caster = GetTriggerUnit()
                set .owner = GetTriggerPlayer()
                set .targetX = GetSpellTargetX()
                set .targetY = GetSpellTargetY()

set x = GetUnitX(.caster)
                set y = GetUnitY(.caster)
                set angle = Atan2(.targetY-y, .targetX-x)
                set .missile = Missile.createXYZ(x+MISSILE_LAUNCH_HOFFSET*Cos(angle), y+MISSILE_LAUNCH_HOFFSET*Sin(angle), MISSILE_LAUNCH_VOFFSET, .targetX, .targetY, 0)
                set .missile.model = NET_MISSILE_MODEL
                set .missile.speed = MISSILE_SPEED
                set .missile.arc   = MISSILE_ARC
                set .missile.data  = this
                call launch(.missile)

set .level = GetUnitAbilityLevel(.caster, MAIN_SPELL_ID)
                set .aoe   = NetAoE(.level)
                loop
                    exitwhen fog == null
                    if (UnitAlive(fog) and TrapTargets(fog, .owner)) then
                        set .sprung = true
                        exitwhen true
                    endif
                endloop
                if (fog != null) then
                    call GroupClear(TempGroup)
                    set fog = null
                endif
                if (.sprung) then
                    set .lifespan = NetLifespan(.level)
                    set .delay    = 0
                else
                    set .lifespan = TrapLifespan(.level)
                    set .delay    = TrapSprungDelay(.level)
                endif
            endif

return false
        endmethod

static method onInit takes nothing returns nothing

local trigger t = CreateTrigger()

call TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ(t, EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_SPELL_EFFECT)
            call TriggerAddCondition(t, Condition(function thistype.onCast))

set DummyCaster = CreateUnit(Player(PLAYER_NEUTRAL_AGGRESSIVE), DUMMY_CASTER_ID, 0, 0, 0)
            set DummyCaster2 = CreateUnit(Player(PLAYER_NEUTRAL_AGGRESSIVE), DUMMY_CASTER_ID, 0, 0, 0)
            call UnitAddAbility(DummyCaster, SLOW_SPELL_ID)
            call UnitAddAbility(DummyCaster2, MISS_SPELL_ID)

endmethod

endstruct

endscope

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Oh how exciting! Code WIP!
Well then, how about this: I present to you the Design WIP of Team Proxby's Hero: The "Windlord"! Lots of stuff is pending, but tremble mortals!

latest

Windlord
Neutral Ranged Agility hero

Theme/Form:
Supreme Overlord of Wind Elementals; Flighty & Capricious Ruler of Skies

Role/Function:
Disruptive Support: Battlefield Control/Positioning & Anti-Ranged

Proper Names:
Typhus, Anaeron, Cloudkill, Sumar the Boundless, Zephyrean, Sir Occo, Tornadus, Umul of the Firmament, Squallum, Grimgust, Harrak Ane, Cyclo, Aki the Everdrifting, ...
Long ago, when the world was in a state of constant turmoil, the Elementals (Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water) faithfully served their Old God masters. When the Old Gods were defeated with the coming of the Titans, the Elementals were banished to an alternate plane of existence.
Over time, the world became Azeroth, where Human wizards learned how to call back the Elementals through the art of summoning. The Windlord is one of these liberated Elementals. Capricious and vengeful, he hurtles across his long-lost land, emptying the lungs and scouring the land of all who oppose him.
stormfather01.JPG

Can attack Land and Air units.

latest

1. Fell Gale: - Calls a violent gust of wind which damages and plays havoc with enemy positioning.

latest

2. Doldrums: - Summons a vortex of unpredictable air currents, which disrupts and debuffs nearby enemies.

latest

3. Stormform: - The Windlord becomes one with the tempest, enveloping himself in swirling clouds that affect ranged attackers. Also buffs the Windlord at a cost.

latest

U. Maelstrom: - Conjures a fierce storm which acts as an extension of the Windlord's will, striking with lightning and disrupting with winds.
The Maelstrom also has the ability to convey units across the battlefield.

Last edited:

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
fGtjwx1.png
Sea Druid: Mystical Hero, adept at disrupting units and simultaneously buffing allied
units while debuffing enemy ones. Can learn Geyser, Ink, Scald, and Mass Brainwash.

Attacks land and air units.
xnZ6PX3.png
Geyser: 125 Mana. 8 Second Cooldown.

Causes a powerful geyser to erupt in the target area.
EQCpCh5.png
Ink: 75 Mana. 8 Second Cooldown.

Target enemy unit and up to 2 nearby enemy units are blasted with an ink spray.
4LwZSEn.png
Scald: 40/30/20 Mana. 3 Second Cooldown.

Empowers the Sea Druid, causing its next action to have a bonus effect.
ME7e8pn.png
Mass Brainwash: 140 Mana. 90 Second Cooldown.

Sea Druid channels for up to 6 seconds, sapping the brains of enemy units within 900
range.

[td] [/td][td] [/td]

Still have not decide what color my murloc should be (Actually is decided by old message on steam missing so i forgotten the decision that we discussed) But I remember red is one of it, I can easily change the color in photoshop anyway
Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 9.28.55 AM.png
this is just WIP of the texture... Most probably will change drastically later
I really need to rework on the limbs, the mesh are extremely hard to texture hehehe hopefully not too WOW-ish, (The Warcraft "Modern Art" murloc is too hard for me, I don't understand what are what on the warcraft murloc texture, even though it works perfectly, I can't break it down XD)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
And here is the list of our imported art files, we will compete in 3 categories:
- Unit model
- Icons
- Special effects

View attachment 245875
Ah, cool! It's interesting; nowhere does it say that we need to do this, but it makes my/the Judges' job a lot easier, so thanks!

Still have not decide what color my murloc should be (Actually is decided by old message on steam missing so i forgotten the decision that we discussed) But I remember red is one of it, I can easily change the color in photoshop anyway
View attachment 245881
this is just WIP of the texture... Most probably will change drastically later
I really need to rework on the limbs, the mesh are extremely hard to texture hehehe hopefully not too WOW-ish, (The Warcraft "Modern Art" murloc is too hard for me, I don't understand what are what on the warcraft murloc texture, even though it works perfectly, I can't break it down XD)
Lol, "modern art". Lookin' cool so far, though I'm gonna have to continue to say it looks like it comes from WoW. Not the texture, just the mesh. Too articulated, methinks, and too many/details on the back-spines.

fGtjwx1.png
Sea Druid: Mystical Hero, adept at disrupting units and simultaneously buffing allied
units while debuffing enemy ones. Can learn Geyser, Ink, Scald, and Mass Brainwash.

Attacks land and air units.
xnZ6PX3.png
Geyser: 125 Mana. 8 Second Cooldown.

Causes a powerful geyser to erupt in the target area.
EQCpCh5.png
Ink: 75 Mana. 8 Second Cooldown.

Target enemy unit and up to 2 nearby enemy units are blasted with an ink spray.
4LwZSEn.png
Scald: 40/30/20 Mana. 3 Second Cooldown.

Empowers the Sea Druid, causing its next action to have a bonus effect.
ME7e8pn.png
Mass Brainwash: 140 Mana. 90 Second Cooldown.

Sea Druid channels for up to 6 seconds, sapping the brains of enemy units within 900
range.

[td] [/td][td] [/td]
Oo-hoo! I'm gratified I'm not the only one providing Design WIPs (at first I was worried about "revealing all my secrets too early", but... I've done this before & I like providing the table, so meh)

I really feel you've nailed a certain lyrical simplicity in your hero design. "Geyser", "Ink", "Scald"... A "Sea Druid"? Mmmmmkay, I guess. I love the combo of water & octopus stuff, and even though I desperately wish you'd been able to find an in-game icon for Scald (did you try this? Kinda Scald...-ish), it all looks pretty good. Nice usage of the Unbroken icon for the octo-face.

On thing of note: I'm not sure if this was intentional or not, but your spell descriptions are missing something? What do the things actually do? "Sapping the brains"; what does that entail? What are the bonus effects of Scald (and do they work on the next attack? Is that an "action"?)? What does the Ink or the Geyser do to the target?

On a final note: I don't care what the spell actually does; "Mastermind" is an infinitely-better option for a name than "Mass Brainwash". That is all. : )

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
On thing of note: I'm not sure if this was intentional or not, but your spell descriptions are missing something? What do the things actually do? "Sapping the brains"; what does that entail? What are the bonus effects of Scald (and do they work on the next attack? Is that an "action"?)? What does the Ink or the Geyser do to the target?

giphy.gif

Lol, "modern art". Lookin' cool so far, though I'm gonna have to continue to say it looks like it comes from WoW. Not the texture, just the mesh. Too articulated, methinks, and too many/details on the back-spines.

I will try to tinker it to look more warcraft-ish hopefully...
Most reference are from Wow, thats why... I can't digest warcraft murloc well haha

Im rather not sure If I should draw out the muscles like the most warcraft models or just have it less muscle to look more like warcraft murloc

Edit:
Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 5.39.24 PM.png

This for today... More details comes later
I might redo the limb's mesh, and the spike's texture and maybe the mesh as well

Hopefully I can Warcraft-ish-fy later...

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
~~~CONTEST STUFF~~~

We are nearing the conclusion of our Joint Hero Contest; approximately One (1) Week remains before the Contest will be over & we move to Polling & Judging! And... "Can it be? Can it be Christine" that we have no had a single request for an Extension?? What madness is this?

Seriously, though, do we even need one? By my count, we have had several good WIPs from most of our teams... Heck, I'll just table it:

Team Name
ArtistCoderWIP?

Proxby-Oh
PROXYKyrbi0O

The Flaming Skull of Waddles
DirefuryKILLCIDEO

This is not a Team
FreddykCokemonkey11O

CockroachesInYourPants
HappyCockroachQuilnezO

The Silver Knights
Stefan.KRheikoX

Special Ops
A.R.Tank-CommanderO

Dat-S?
HayateDat-C3O

Wow, so basically everyone has posted a WIP of some kind (@Stefan.K & @Rheiko, you still there?). Neat. So I'm not sure whether people really need an extension or not, but I figured I should bring it up just in case. : )

Anyway, things are chugging along, and I just wanted to leave a few reminders with you as we draw to a close:
  • The Contest officially ends next Monday (2016.08.29) at "midnight" (11:59:59), GMT time. Please pay attention to this & figure it out for yourself (e.g. for me, that means the deadline is really "8pm" Monday, since I'm GMT -4)
  • Please don't forget to vote here for our Design Judge; 9 of you have voted so far which is great.
  • The Submission Rules are copied below as a reminder, but of note:
    • Name your map right (i.e. [HC8] <MyHeroName>.w3x)
    • Size it right (~1400kb)
    • Pastebin your entry (map)
    • PM me the Pastebin link
    • Profit!
  • Make sure to do one last pass before submitting, keeping the current Judging Criteria in mind; that (and only that) is what your submission will be Judged on, so make sure to 'check all the boxes'.

Good luck this last week, everyone; looking forward to a tight competition!

• When the hero is complete, submit it to the Pastebin with the prefix [HERO8] and send me a private message with a link to the submission thread.
  • All submitted entries must use (4)TurtleRock.w3x as the test map. (Modified as necessary, but not with any drastic changes)
  • The map you submit your hero in should be set up as a melee map so the hero can be tested in a standard melee game; that means no cinematics or other extraneous additions, aside from:
    • Your custom Hero, it's custom spells (and any triggering/OE-work necessary to accomplish them), etc (your submission, essentially).
    • Triggers which should be provided to allow a single player to test the hero individually with ease and without having to build an altar and gain experience.
    • All submitted entries must have a filename in the format:
      [HC8] <MyHeroName>.w3x
      Example: [HC8] Paladin.w3x
    • All submitted entries must have an in-game map name in the format:
      [HC8] <MyHeroName>.w3x
      Example: [HC8] Paladin.w3x
  • Submitted maps may be no larger than 1400kb.[/quote]

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I will try to tinker it to look more warcraft-ish hopefully...
Most reference are from Wow, thats why... I can't digest warcraft murloc well haha

Im rather not sure If I should draw out the muscles like the most warcraft models or just have it less muscle to look more like warcraft murloc

Edit:

This for today... More details comes later
I might redo the limb's mesh, and the spike's texture and maybe the mesh as well

Hopefully I can Warcraft-ish-fy later...
Good luck, man. It's tricksome stuff, modeling to a certain style.

Figured I'd show off the current version of our lil guy. I had to make a few changes, but I'm pretty happy with how he turned out.

a_murlocfinal-png.246163
I like it (especially the pose & the snail-shell shield), but I miss the (Watcher) eyes & the big lure you had (since that's such a big part of the character). Also, watch out he doesn't get swamped (ahhfdhahaha) on the battlefield (in terms of relative size & profile); even the tiny Goblins have something BIG about them (tinker's backpack, alchemist's ogre, etc).

I love/hate you.

I cannot tell you what mental gymnastics I have been going through to understand this comment. You and your vaunted, cursed brevity!

At first I thought you were just making fun of me (which is fine, I'm worth it : P)... But then I thought 'NO WAIT, he's done a design WIP that is lacking in details so that people are still interested! Like with being naked, "showing all" can pale in comparison to "suggestion". xD
So then I'm all like, "quick edit my first post!".

Of course, now I realize you are just watching the show; my little mind's gears twisting & flailing spasmodically in an attempt to comprehend. Good show, ol' chap.

Leonardo-DiCaprio-Clap.gif

Level 50
REGARDING OUR TEAM , I CHANGED MY ENTRY MODEL. NOW I DID BANDIT MAGE MODEL AS I THOUGHT MEDIVH MODEL ISN'T REALLY FITTING FOR A TAVERN HERO. I WILL SHOW SOME WIPS TOMMOROW. I HOPE MY TEAMMATE CAN FINISH UP CODING IN A COUPLE OF DAYS, AS IT WILL TAKE ME SOME TIME TO FINISH THE MODEL. I'M SUPER BUSY WITH COLLEGE.
YOU GUYS HAVE GREAT WIPS BY FAR, NICE. AND IF I UNDERSTOOD RIGHT, WE(ARTISTS) NEED TO MAKE ICONS FOR THE HERO AND SPELLS, RIGHT?

~~~CONTEST STUFF~~~ And... "Can it be? Can it be Christine" that we have no had a single request for an Extension?? What madness is this?

Seriously, though, do we even need one? By my count, we have had several good WIPs from most of our teams... Heck, I'll just table it
If no one is talking about extension, and no one is asking it, why do we need to bring it up? It has become a 'classical' component of contests?

I have a bunch of RL work stuff to deliver at the exact same day of the deadline, and I'm not counting with any possible extension. I don't even want to keep on with this talk, to avoid saying ext****** once again. It should be out of our contest culture.

And @Stefan.K, a bandit? Wow, who would have thought of that? Great idea :p (kidding xD) - and yes, we're supposed to do icons or use in-game ones. (Same for SFX)

Level 22
Our submission is almost ready, no need for more time from our side.

AND IF I UNDERSTOOD RIGHT, WE(ARTISTS) NEED TO MAKE ICONS FOR THE HERO AND SPELLS, RIGHT?
You can do up to 3 art things according to rules, but you're not forced to. You can use in-game files if you find some that suit your hero. For example our own submission will include a mix of custom and in-game icons and SFX.

Level 50
If no one is talking about extension, and no one is asking it, why do we need to bring it up? It has become a 'classical' component of contests?

I have a bunch of RL work stuff to deliver at the exact same day of the deadline, and I'm not counting with any possible extension. I don't even want to keep on with this talk, to avoid saying ext****** once again. It should be out of our contest culture.

And @Stefan.K, a bandit? Wow, who would have thought of that? Great idea :p (kidding xD) - and yes, we're supposed to do icons or use in-game ones. (Same for SFX)
WELL, Y'ALL KNOW THAT I AM ALLIANCE FAN, SO I MAKE HUMAN MODELS. AND THE BANDIT IDEA IS THE MOST ACCURATE FOR THE TAVERN. DON'T YOU WORRY IT DIFFERS VERY FROM YOUR MODEL. :p :)

Well going slow now :p But I believe we can make it in time
This is my progress.... Well... Might still look like a WOW murloc but whatever :V Don't even know what to do to un-WoW it, Base Color done, Pattern and possibly some scale texture coming soon, if I am able to.. I always screw up in putting in scales XD

Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 5.36.52 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 5.37.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 5.37.14 PM.png
    111.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 5.37.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 5.37.42 PM.png
    121.8 KB · Views: 78
Status
Not open for further replies.