1. Melee Mapping contest #3 - Poll is up! Vote for the best 4v4 melee maps!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The 30th edition of the Modeling Contest is finally up! The Portable Buildings need your attention, so come along and have a blast!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have a new contest going on right now! Join the 11th Music Contest! You are to make a Cinematic modern sound-track for this contest, so come and compete with other people for fun.
    Dismiss Notice

Hero Contest #8 - Joint: Artist & Coder

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Kyrbi0, Jul 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Small model WIP from our side too :)

Attached Files:

2. Stefan.K

Stefan.K

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Looks great, although I think you could change that chest texture, looks too..plain. And hands could use some wrap fixing, they look messy right now.

3. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Jeah might do that, but I'm keeping it for now. Who would have thought finding a normal metal chest piece texture would be that difficult.

The "main" body is yet to be changed a bit to make it look more air/wind like (maybe making it transparent, with animated textures, particles and so on).

Attached Files:

4. Stefan.K

Stefan.K

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    You could use bandit's texture for the chest. Just make your texture wrap fit in one box vertices (or less if possible) and use the silver armor of bandits arm texture.

5. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    ~~~IMPORTANT NOTE FOR CONTESTANTS~~~

Some business as Host: I would like to ordain a method by which modifications to the Contest may be made in a way which is agreeable to all participants. Nothing particularly fancy; basically I just want to say that if something needs changing, it should be done 'by the voice of the people' in that (at least) the majority (and perhaps even a super-majority) of Currently Participating Contestants agree to it. Especially for things like changes to the Rules or the Criteria or what-have-you. (This is of course dependent on the amount of time it takes to reach a decision; a certain reasonable length of time will be spent waiting for a response, but too long and you forfeit the right to help decide, lest the Contest grind to a halt)

~~~

On that note, I present the first adjustment/clarification I would like to offer for your dis/approval:

Can both Members of the Team perform either 'role' for their Team for any reason? If YES, by a certain percentage?

By "role" it is meant that, say, the Coder could work on the Art, and/or the Artist could work on some Code.

By "percentage" it is meant that, if we choose YES, we may choose to limit the amount which can by the 'cross-over' Team-mate (see below).

This ruling would clarify an element of the Criteria which states:
    • If you are both a skilled artist and coder in one, you cannot perform both tasks and be your own team. Choose to team up with another individual who needs a partner and do that part of the tasks.
    This would seem to indicate that one should not do the 'others' job, as it were... Yet it is in response to a specific situation (i.e. "someone skilled at both... should not be a one-man team").

Can we agree to allow either Team member to do either part? And if so, should we limit the amount which they can contribute (to make sure not to infringe on the above)?

Participants (@PROXY, @Kyrbi0, @Direfury, @KILLCIDE, @Freddyk, @Cokemonkey11, @HappyCockroach, @Quilnez, @Stefan.K, @Rheiko, @A.R., @Tank-Commander, @Hayate, @Dat-C3) PLEASE GIVE US YOUR THOUGHTS.

(after typing out all those names, I'm very gratified that things are going as well as they are. Even if only half of you finish, that's still 3.5 finished entries ^_^. You guys are awexome.)

6. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I don't see anything wrong with it.

7. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    As a participant, in response to the above... I'd vote for YES and probably <50%. I'm a believer that we should keep the Artist doing Art & the Coder doing Code (wouldn't want a talented dude to overtake his 'partner' and just run the whole thing), but at the same time I can see some serious value to being able to, say, help PROXY with some of the mundane SFX work or what-have-you. I could be persuaded to go with a different percentage.

Awwwwww YEAH. Love octopodes. I'm especially pleased to see this beastie showing up finally. : )

Awexome to see you posting it, man. I will go ahead & do my fancy little write up to post here in the near future. We are gonna rock some socks.

~~~

Excellent question. Currently we're a little short on Judges (anyone have suggestions?): We have a dude lined up as potential Design Judge (though if accepted it will require some slight/severe modifications to the existing Design Criteria, which could potentially change how ya'll are doing things)... Past that I wasn't sure. I'd love to get a multi-focus Artist in, and then perhaps someone like Anitarf to do the Coding.

We will be reaching out here soon to figure that out; if possible I'd love to have the Judges lined up before the Contest ends. Hopefully the reduced workload will keep them from being scared off. : )

8. Hayate

Hayate

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I would say that is better to allow to do abit of the other people roles, that allow more teamwork and have things work more seamlessly, for example, there might be something specific that the coder want to alter in the model, and and if he could do it himself, that solve the trouble of conflict, in reverse, could have something else imply, of course it would be definitely a bad idea if one guy do all

I guess just need some sort of proof that 50% of the job are done for their role

Working together also code wise, both could "catching bug" from different people perspective if both can code, the "lead coder" could miss something.

Btw, going to post something around tomorrow, for now no spoiler yet xd

9. Freddyk

Freddyk

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I think it's useless to define such rule because it's not possible to control it. I mean, if one member of the team helps the other with his tasks, nobody will ever know about it.

Separation of tasks is not really important I believe, what is important is that it is teamwork, and that both members of the team contribute equally to the final product.

10. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    My teammate Quilnez has been doing some progress with our hero model, and I'll be posting it here:

upload_2016-8-17_12-10-55.png

He's a bandit. And he's quite a nasty character. :p

some textures are placeholder..

11. A.R.

A.R.

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    WIP Time!
    [​IMG]

Let's rumble :ctwist:

Living in Australia, I didn't have to look far for inspiration. Caught one of these critters trying to scurry up my leg the other night. We have a name for them here which, loosely translated, means "cute and harmless, relatively speaking."

12. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:

:)

13. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Yes it's fine.

Regarding rule changes: I suggest doing the reverse of byzantine consensus.

For those who don't know obscure distributed system protocols: Byzantine Consensus is a fancy way of saying 2/3 of people agree.

When I say reverse byzantine consensus: I suggest making rule changes okay, so long as *not more* than 1/3 of people *disagree*.

That way if people AFK you can still make things happen.

Speaking of rule changes, I think it's much more important that you address (and be transparent about) the changes suggested by @Softmints, since he is so far the only qualified individual interested in judging.

14. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    ~~~IMPORTANT NOTE FOR CONTESTANTS~~~

Some business as Host: Due to a conflict of interest, I have determined it to be in the best interest of the Contest if the Contestants themselves decide who the Design Judge should be for our Contest. Linked here is the Poll; please read & vote carefully.

~~~

ALSO, it appears the general consensus is to allow Teams to arbitrate amongst themselves the division of labor (as long as one person doesn't do all the work, as stated in the Contest Rules), so please feel free. However, it would be appreciated if you keep track of "who does what", even in a general sense.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  15. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    LIAAAAAR!! : P

Well, sure. With that rationalization, though, why not forget about defining any rules, like "not using previous stuff" ("I'll just copy/paste from an old map I made; no one can tell!") or "only part of one team" ("I'll fake it with a dummy account!")?

Rules exist to impose order & help us coexist. The existence of rule-breakers does not & cannot allow us to fold to anarchy. The 'honor system' must, for better or worse, exist in some cases as we cannot surveil everyone every minute of every day.

I agree, except where you have one super-talented dude who does it all, and a slacker team-mate along for the ride. That's not the point of the Contest.

Noice. Although he looks a tad bit detailed for Warcraft 3... Even for a Portrait? I guess we'll see.

But I'm glad to see a classic "neutral rogue-y bandit" character. : )

Ahhh!!!

I knew I was in for a good time when A.R. shew'd up. Dat bug is nastay. I like it. My only issue might be the preponderance of pink (salmon?) color on him; it's an awful lot.

This... This is brilliant. I really rather like this (& it sounds cool too). If you don't mind, I think I might use this in my Make Contests Great Again campaign as the general guideline for "how to make Contest decisions mid-Contest"... Makes a lot of sense & solves problems.

(You would say that... : P)

Softmints is indeed qualified, but there are others (both 'qualified' and 'interested'). See the Poll; we'll decide amongst ourselves.

~~~

Design WIP incoming you guys; just gotta come up with some good Proper Names. (Most important part of any Hero submission; @Cokemonkey11 I'm lookin' at you. : D)

16. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Did you think a hero made by me would have names like "Wursty Mcwurstface", "Scallywag", "First place again lel", or "Notice me Ralle <3"? Of... Of course not.

But in all seriousness, I have added 6 names for our hero. It's up to Freddyk to decide which ones are worth keeping.

17. Hayate

Hayate

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    opps XD I lied
    but anyway, was going to show concept but i though might as well just skip it
    so heres the mesh, pretty much done i think, just need to have some tinkering, a fishing hook and A armour that I haven't add
    Btw, the thing on his hand is not a shield, it is a straw hat

Iz a Murloc Fisherman, not sure of that makes any sense at all but whatever :V

Turntable.gif

@Dat-C3

18. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Naw, man, I was being serious. Your name-fu last Contest was on pointe; I'm one of the few who cares about such things & I really appreciated it. : )

Ooh... Direfury won't be glad to see that. : P

Lookin' real cool, man! Almost like it was plucked out of WoW.

By the way, if that fish hook isn't at least as large as his hat, you're fired.

19. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Nah, its fine. I'm aiming for a style that'd better fit WC3.

Also, we've decided to change direction with our entry. We'll be going with a Deepsea Murloc spellcaster.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  20. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Actually, I'm gonna have to agree with Direfury here, @Hayate ; it does strike me as very WoW-ish. Watch out, bub. ; P

Sick! Looks even better. I rather like it. : )

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.