• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HD Modeling Contest #3 - Undead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
hive-logo-small-remoosed-png.373032

hd-png.376391
modeling-png.373686
contest-png.373719
png.373678
3-png.373675

3c750a9b-de3a-489b-87e2-6f5d62867522-png.404192

Contestants must create a HD model that is related to an Undead theme; that is, not necessarily the Undead race from Warcraft, but any Undead entity e.g. humanoid, creature, entity, a combination of mech and dead flesh etc. The key element is that your entry pertain to the Undead theme i.e. reanimation, either by the powers of light, darkness or science.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it's yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must work in-game and be bug-free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Model entries are allowed as long as there is a certain amount of effort put into them, and must include a Dissipate animation and Hero Glow or Decay Flesh and Decay Bone animations.
  • WoW ports or models that use external material must have working ORMs and normals, and should not account for more than 10% of the model (a weapon, a piece of armor, a distinctive small geoset...). Models that are heavily influenced by external assets should be avoided, and the judges are entitled to disqualify the model if they deem it necessary.
  • In order to enter the contest and be eligible to win a prize, contestants must submit their final entry to the HD Model Resource section. Remember to write in the description: "Entry for the 3rd HD Modeling Contest".

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 750 experience points
  • 2nd place: 600 experience points
  • 3rd place: 450 experience points
  • Entry: 150 experience points
  • Judge: 25 experience points per entry
The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.​

other_judges-png.311510

other_contest_judging-png.311506

MeshHow does the mesh look? How are the balance and scale? How coherent is polygon distribution? Do the shapes complement the model's theme?/15
SkinDoes the model have custom diffuses, ORMs and/or Normals? How good is the wrap? Are the textures appealing, or do they look blurry/stretched from the default game camera and portrait? Do the tones go well together? Is there sufficient contrast? Do the Normals and ORMs create proper lighting for the model?/15
AnimationsDoes the model have custom animations? How natural, smooth, and appropriate are the animations? Do they have character/personality? How well are they executed? Does the model have enough animations to function properly?/15
Integration/
Optimization
How well does the model work in-game? Does it feature the necessary attachments, footprints, sounds, and collisions? Does it have a working FaceFX? Is it optimised for minimal disk usage? Does it have enough Team Colour?/15
ThemeHow well does the model follow the contest theme?/15
EffectsDoes the model make use of emmissives, effects, ribbons, or additional custom models (i.e. projectiles/spells)? How well are they implemented? Does the model make use of fresnel, visibility or other .mdl edits?/5
CreativityHow original is the general idea? How inventive is the execution? How distinct is the model from the original assets?/20
/100

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on 26 July 2022 and conclude on 10 September 2022 GMT (day is included).

listofentries-png.404509

(Last Updated 10-09-2022)

ContestantsWIPEntries

Vendro the Wind Mage

WIP 1

vindorei

WIP 1 | WIP 2

liptonite

WIP 1

Fugrim

WIP 1 | WIP 2 | WIP 3 | WIP 4 | WIP 5 | WIP 6

Superfrycook

WIP 1

Symphoneum

WIP 1 | WIP 2 | WIP 3 | WIP 4

Raddazong

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Mr Ogre man

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Bagysta

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Barorque

WIP 1 | WIP 2 | WIP 3

ChangAn

WIP 1

Assigned Staff: @Archian

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Last edited:
Alright! This is going to be fun. My idea is not Warcraft related but would be cool in a Warcraft map. I want to make the Green Knight from Arthurian legends, but with a fantasy theme.

For those who aren’t familiar, the Green Knight challenges Gawain to a duel and when Gawain successfully chops off the knight’s head he picks it up off the floor and tells him he expects a rematch in one year or Gawain’s life is forfeit.

My concept is pretty simple but could be cool. A hero who reanimates instead of dying the first time around. His second animation set would be an alternate set and he would have a living and alternate undead model. Since it’s fantasy the undead model could have glowing runes and emissive eyes. Maybe I can do a custom animation of him picking up his own head if I have time!

I have not started working on him yet so let me know if it isn’t allowable! Looking forward to hearing what everyone else is thinking about doing!

Level 34
Ohh baby... I think this could be fun.
I have planned to do a "Cold Wraith".
The name has appeared several times in WoW, but the models never had anything to do with the original
and mostly felt like placeholder models were used. (Which probably was the case in the end)

In the end he should then be a spectral magic unit for the Scourge, in the lore, so to speak, the predecessor of the Banshee.

It may not sound exciting at first, but I've never worked with semi-transparent model parts before and I also have some effects with
spectral and frosty appearances etc. in mind.

If everything works out the way I imagined, it should be a cool unit. 😁

Ok guys. Call me crazy but I saw this contest and thought I would try to see if I could do a spooky scary skeleton kitbash. Here are some clips of my first draft:

1658882168756.png

It seems like even if my computer can't really handle the Reforged graphics too well, shoveling these art files together can still make a cool picture!

Right now this is basically just a Greater Dark Minion with Sorceress animations, but if I put it in a video and make it on fire, I entertain myself...

Level 2
I'm not going to contest but looking at the HD undead models the Hive has I would love to see more Forsaken and Nerubian Models. In the lore the Nerubians had an entire empire and before the first Lich King took over they were the only ruler of Northrend. It is weird for me that we never got an undead Nerubian spellcaster for the Scourge.

Structures would be cool too.

Good Luck everyone! Hope to see sick models and some nice Icons. :thumbs_up:

Level 35
Ok! Time to finally work on an undead model. :peasant-i-object:
Just saw the post and have 3 ideas for now.(1 will be for the contest the other will come later)
1. To make a variant of the dual-wielder model into a deathkight
2. To make a variant of the spearman into a forsaken
3. To make a lich hero with a more orcish design because the first liches were the orcs which were captured by kil'jaden along with ner'zhul

Nothing to show yet because I need to see which I choose to pick.I have checked the rules and I think it's ok, but please tell me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
I have many ideas, but I'm still not sure which one to pick. I wanted to make:
1. An undead giant
2. A gheist ( this one is cool but I don't think it's epic enough for a contest)
3. A plague doctor
4. A vargul or kvaldir
5. A vampire hunter (a la van helsing, dunno if it would fit)
6. A wraith, which someone wants to do.
7. A spider "centaur", like a black widow thingy.
8.Grobbulus, I believe was his name.
So yeah, take your pick.

1. An undead giant
2. A gheist ( this one is cool but I don't think it's epic enough for a contest)
3. A plague doctor
4. A vargul or kvaldir
So yeah, take your pick.
1 4 8, can't decide though

1. An undead giant
3. A plague doctor
4. A vargul or kvaldir
So yeah, take your pick.
7 would be cool

Level 8
It would be to awesome to see whoever works on:
1: Bone Golem
2: Geist
3: Flesh Giant
4: Plague Eruptor
5: Vargul
6: One of the Female Liches known as Lady Deathwhisper and Instructor Chillheart.
7: Any of the Darkfallen Races like San'layn or so.
8: Any of the Knights of the Ebon Blade or Death Knights in General.

7 would be cool
Yeah, I agree. Though I would imagine it looking Egyptian-like, but it would still have this haunting vibe with it.

1. An undead giant
3. A plague doctor
4. A vargul or kvaldir
So yeah, take your pick.
Had to search what gheist was, and it showed me results of this band named after it. Oy. :eekani:

Curious about the Vargul or Kvaldir, though. I think there's already a Wraith unit in the game, unless you're referring to a different kind. And Grobbulus seems interesting, too. My vote goes to 8 - Grobbulus.

Ok! Time to finally work on an undead model. :peasant-i-object:
Just saw the post and have 3 ideas for now.(1 will be for the contest the other will come later)
1. To make a variant of the dual-wielder model into a deathkight
2. To make a variant of the spearman into a forsaken
3. To make a lich hero with a more orcish design because the first liches were the orcs which were captured by kil'jaden along with ner'zhul

Nothing to show yet because I need to see which I choose to pick.I have checked the rules and I think it's ok, but please tell me if I am wrong.
I like the orc lich idea, and the other first two. A dual-wielding death knight would look good if the animations make him look more agile like the blademaster, since the blades he'll wield are just normal one-handed. :eek:2

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree. Though I would imagine it looking Egyptian-like, but it would still have this haunting vibe with it.

Had to search what gheist was, and it showed me results of this band named after it. Oy. :eekani:

Curious about the Vargul or Kvaldir, though. I think there's already a Wraith unit in the game, unless you're referring to a different kind. And Grobbulus seems interesting, too. My vote goes to 8 - Grobbulus.
I was thinking more like the HoMM unit (which borrows from Drow aesthetics) but that works too!

6: One of the Female Liches known as Lady Deathwhisper and Instructor ChChillheart.
In fact, me and @Barorque wanted to make Deathwhisper together once we had free time.

I'll do Grobbulus or the black widow gal, most likely.

In fact, me and @Barorque wanted to make Deathwhisper together once we had free time.

I'll do Grobbulus or the black widow gal, most likely.
I don't have dibs on Lady Deathwhisper, it was more of a suggestion back when I didn't use skinspice that often and thought such models are more complex to make than they really are. Also considering all you've done recently, I'm more than sure you could manage to make a perfect representation of her if yo uwanted (sylvanas banshee skirt and rest from liches etc.).

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
how many models can it be, is it allowed to make a necromancer and his minions?
Good question. I'm quoting this here so other people can see.

But sure, I guess. As long as it's an undead Necromancer i.e. the Necromancer must have been reanimated himself.
I guess that would be the criteria in order for such an entry to meet the theme of the contest.

Last edited:
Good question. I'm quoting this here so other people can see.

But sure, I guess. As long as it's an undead Necromancer i.e. the Necromancer must have been reanimated himself.
I guess that would be the criteria in order for such an entry to meet the theme of the contest.
I think that anyone that would fit the undead theme or the scourge race, i.e., an acolyte, necromancer, obsidian destroyer...
And I don't see why a unit couldn't come with their own summons, projectiles or spells

1. An undead giant
3. A plague doctor
4. A vargul or kvaldir
So yeah, take your pick.
I would bet on 2!
Geists have always fascinated me since their first appearance in WotLK, sinister lurking undead hanged men stalking the living, how can that not be epic?
I can already imagine a sort of animation where they seem to be common dead people hanging from trees or beams and then waking up by approaching them, detaching themselves from the rope and ready to creep around. They are the Scourge rogues, and I find them really threatening and insidious.
Also, their appearance and way of moving are quite unique.

Last edited:
Level 2
It would be to awesome to see whoever works on:
1: Bone Golem
2: Geist
3: Flesh Giant
4: Plague Eruptor
5: Vargul
6: One of the Female Liches known as Lady Deathwhisper and Instructor Chillheart.
7: Any of the Darkfallen Races like San'layn or so.
8: Any of the Knights of the Ebon Blade or Death Knights in General.
it might be cool to also see knights/undead riding spiders or crypts fiend, I think there is already a model like this in SD

Is this where I sign up? If this is it.
I'll be trying out with a 3 or 4 model pack still WIP but here is one of 'em.

The Bloodtide Regiment

Resurrected and Tormented to Scour the coasts known as the Blighted Vampire Coasts.
Under thrall by the "Countessa"

~ Countess Vianne Bloodletter

NewCountess.JPG

The Blooded Crew of the Damned Regiment

WIP :ogre_hurrhurr:

Cove Ghoul
Vile Sailor

Level 35
Hei! Really in the begining. Just put together some ideas atm. Somehow I ended up making a Witcher Geralt while trying some geosets combinations :))
1659177127475.png
1659177148524.png

Is it against the rules if I ask someone else to do the save on the textures? I mean I will do the textures that I need but when it comes to saving them so they appear ingame I really do not know the correct setting for that.
Asking just to know if I should focus on making new textures or just use existing ones.

Hei! Really in the begining. Just put together some ideas atm. Somehow I ended up making a Witcher Geralt while trying some geosets combinations :))
View attachment 404496View attachment 404497
Is it against the rules if I ask someone else to do the save on the textures? I mean I will do the textures that I need but when it comes to saving them so they appear ingame I really do not know the correct setting for that.
Asking just to know if I should focus on making new textures or just use existing ones.
It's not against the rules to ask for advise, no. Just to outsource your work (if someone were to paint them for you for example)
@Archian I've been outside for a week, I'll start the concept art in a couple of days

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Updated first post with your WIP. Yeah i definitely see the Witcher there.

In case you're wondering if your entry pertain to the theme. Ask yourself "Has this been reanimated?" ;)

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
@Archian if I couldn't make it one week before the deadline; can I still get in as some sort of an extra judge? :D
Well, if you entry is close to being finished, we do tend to grant a deadline extension in order for contestants to finnish their entry and participate.

Last edited:
Level 35
Hello again!
Not sure if here is where I should ask. So I planed to make the texture from arthas armor into a more black/gray so it will work with the female dk and go for a more Darion Mograine vibe.
It seems that the texture is already used on the dk model by @VictorZ
1659214508212.png

Is it bad if the colors match? Should I make the textures a different color?

Updated first post. Post some WIP's gents!

Any progress @Barorque @Mr Ogre man @Symphoneum @Raddazong @Fugrim ?
Sorry @Archian, I had a couple projects come up that took my attention at the end of the week. Right now the concept is still in my head but I hope to be ready to start soon (maybe tonight if I finish the port I’m working on). Once I start this will be my main focus until the end of the contest in September. I aim to take my time but also put in a lot of work to make it the best it can be.

Alright, here's a first work in progress photo. This is just basic blocking, I am going to be completely retexturing the model. Technically this is the Alternate mode, after he dies the first time and resurrects. I used the necromancer's head and skinspliced it to Arthas, then scaled it up to match the paladin's buff physique! Honestly, the necromancer has a really good face for undead characters :)

WIP1_UndeadGK.PNG

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
View attachment 404518
Sorry, I'm late. I got to create this Undead heroine. But please, feel free to try. Anyway, this is called Death Mother.
You're not late. The contest has only just begun :)
Is that a WIP or finished model? I see that you have already submitted it to our HD Model section, is that your final entry? And remember that you shoudln't update your model after the deadline has expired. Just remember that:
You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it's yours.

You're not late. The contest has only just begun :)
Is that a WIP or finished model? I see that you have already submitted it to our HD Model section, is that your final entry? And remember that you shoudln't update your model after the deadline has expired. Just remember that:
I see, I was on a vacation for a month.

Of course, you can update your submission in the HD model section until the deadline of the contest. Then you should wait until the judges are finished voting before making any further changes.

Or do you mean a whole new model entry? O.O
Yep, I don’t know if two entries is acceptable, if not, I’d like to change my pirate theme to a western cowboy theme, since I want to practice more in animation editing.

Level 35
Hope it's ok.
This week I will not be able to show any progress/update because I will be hard of work IRL due to job deadline and life changes.
1659304341011.png

Right now i can say it's the beta version of the model.
Need to find out how to properly import the dk helmet used by Darion Mograine in wow and make the textures work together.
After that the animations with maybe something custom made

Hello again!
Not sure if here is where I should ask. So I planed to make the texture from arthas armor into a more black/gray so it will work with the female dk and go for a more Darion Mograine vibe.
View attachment 404508
Feel free to go man, just make sure it look best in your eyes :).

Hello again!
View attachment 404508
Thanks that called me VictorZ, but I'm Vulfar and I have nothing against the fact that you use the same color for your model as my dk model, which you threw off as an example:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.