• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HD Modeling Contest #3 - Undead

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the general concept for my model is pretty much intact but I’ve gotten rid of all the attachments etc and made the body thinner. I will be sculpting a suit of armor in Blender for this (just attachments really) because the Warcraft art does not really fit with my vision for this model as much as I’d like. Also, the new head started bugging out in animations and I’m not sure why so I’m going to retexture Arthas’ head to look undead. Maybe I can just copy/paste the necromancer head onto the Arthas UV.

Level 34
So... I finally had time to sit down and start my model:
This is just the first look! I still have to add effects and other things ^^

Cold Wraith (WIP1).PNG

I've decided to retake an old concept of the Heautontimoroumenos (the executioner of himself), based on a poem by Baudelaire. I used to make a grim RPG in RPGmaker, but it didn't allow for very creepy stuff. Although I uploaded the original concept art in wc3c.net, it's a long dead site. Anyway, here's a small peek of what is to come, still a lot of texturing and geomerging needed.
1659495288712.png

It's fine, but the judges should only review one of them. So which one is the final entry?
It seems people like ghost captain more than death marshal, so I’d say Aye aye Captain, stick to my first idea. I will edit Death Marshal thread description tomorrow on PC.

Level 35
Final look for my model.
Gonna upload it soon on hive after I change a bit his animations.
  • Main changes:Need to add movements to the cloth/cape when using spells/dissipate.
  • Minor changes: Need to edit the existing animations from captain to fix the larger body that the dk has (the weapons handle collide with the armor from the legs)
Title: Deathlord
Main Inspiration Story: The death knight which the lich king Bolvar chose to lead his armies against the legion forces
1659715259470.png

Great WIP's guys! Keep them coming! :)

@Barorque @Symphoneum @Vulfar any progress guys? :)
Here's a very early WIP for the new concept. I did the poleyns tonight, finishing off the leg armor. It's based off the third image, which is a render I found online and liked very much! His morph will die, the head will roll off his body, he'll pick it up and stagger to his feet. There will be blood, grime, and rust on the armor, the cape will be tattered, and he will have the greater skeletal minion animations (dragging the axe, etc). His face will be exposed and it will be decaying. There may be blood dripping from parts of his armor. I think I can finish by September 10, I'll keep you posted as more progress is completed!
BlenderWIP7.PNG
BlenderWIP5.PNG

KnightRender.jpg

Last edited:
I've unfortunately been needing to work on other projects the last week and a half (plus some other IRL stuff), but I made some progress on the base armor for my undead knight tonight! Here's the update: I modeled the gauntlets, rerebraces, and vambraces tonight. The tassets were last night. Can't wait to finally make him undead and give the armor all the grime, grit, and blood!
BlenderWIP13.PNG
BlenderWIP14.PNG

Hi, I was away from my computer for several weeks and I didn't have the opportunity look into this. I still don't know if I will participate :confused:2.

EDIT :

Somehow I manage to find time to start a model and don't encounter too much difficulty until then, maybe I'll be able to propose an entry after all, I'll let you know and send WIP ASAP !

Last edited:
Great WIP's guys! Keep them coming! :)

@Barorque @Symphoneum @Vulfar any progress guys? :)
Riiight, not much time left, it's now or never 😅

I will try my luck with something completely new for me and possibly quite unique, a Tauren Death Knight on a Kodo mount... or a... Dreadbull ;)
Don't even have any crazy concept, just need to see if making the anims is possible for me, I'll show some progress once I find that out.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Updated first post.

Damn, a skeletal kodo mount - that's a promising concept. Hope you can pull it off :)

I wonder how you're gonna manage the attack animations. The totem weapon might need to be a bit longer for reach. Unless you make him a spellcasting Death Knight / Necromancer, that casts spells similar to that of the ingame kodo beast's axe throw - but with death magic instead of course.

Also 7 days left gents!

Dreadbull is shaping up, please ignore the random unattached and floating elements, it's all still in development.

I plan to attach the literal corpse shield with chains, for extra gruesomeness.
Make the Kodo skeletal head more clean.
And add some cool FX, such as glowing edge of the weapon and possible horns.

Dreadbull_V0.2.JPG

Level 35
Final post before upload. No need to update the table. Soon I will add the model on hive.
Just wanted to add that the animations are 95% done with only smoothing need for the cloak and visibility set for the weapons (i use a second pair for the death & dissipate animations). He's fully animated with the majority of the footman/captain animations and spell animations for Spell 1 / Spell Slam / Spell Channel. The look stayed the same with only me wanting to add hair to his head for some reason I did not want him bald even if people will not see it :D and some small armor changes from last post
1662297318128.png

Lovely WIPs gents! Updated first post.

Don't forget to upload your final entries to the HD model section. Less than 3 days left!

And please also post in this thread when you've done so!

@Bagysta sick armor dude!
Have we changed the due date? I thought it was September 10 (next Saturday)?

New work in progress! I have three potential release candidates for the undead textures of my knight and also a living version.

SubstanceWIP32.PNG

edit - I keep forgetting to mention this but the runes on the armor have meaning. The right shoulder is my handle, left shoulder says Modeling Contest #3, right chest says Green Knight, and mid/left chest says Hiveworkshop. I used the necrofonticon font from Adobe for that.

Last edited:
Et voilà ! My entry for the 3rd HD Modeling Contest !

Unholy Mage

Here is my entry. I updated it and got it pass sanity check with no warnings. I think making it pass the sanity checker took longer than making it, to be honest.

UnholyMage.gif

I probably will not have more time to work on this.

Level 35
HELP PLEASE! My RMS gave an error when I last saved my model and now I can not OPEN IT :(

Edit: It's all lost. Just check and it's 0 size. I will try to remake it but all my work is gone

Update: Good news. Still in the race :D . Was able to save him ,but a lot of animation changes needed. It's good to upload ,but not perfect
1662722972851.png

Last edited:
My RMS gave an error when I last saved my model and now I can not OPEN IT
This might be slightly off topic, but I suggest you post a screenshot of the error in the RMS forum thread or something so that eventually a programmer fixes it so that error won't happen anymore

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.