1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft 3 Re-Reforged Prologue Campaign

Submitted by InsaneMonster
This bundle is marked as substandard. It may contain bugs, not perform optimally or otherwise be in violation of the submission rules.
WARNING
This is a work in progress. As of now, only the first and second mission, Chasing Visions and Departures, are re-reforged. Once all of them are complete and Blizzard finally decides to put custom campaigns back, this will be updated to be a proper custom campaign. Until then, additional missions will be attached to this one. Currently there is no way to use game cache to store data among them.

Welcome to Warcraft III Re-Refoged (RR) Prologue Campaign!

Re-experience the prologue campaign of Warcraft III, Exodus of the Horde, in a new reforged fashion.

Currently only the first and second mission of the Prologue Campaign, Chasing Visions and Departures, are re-reforged and available to download. If any bug is found, please report and I'll do my best to fix it.

FAQ
What is Warcraft III RR?
Warcraft III RR re-imagines cinematics, terrain, map design, AI, balance and graphics of the main campaigns' maps. Refer to the screenshots to see what kind of improvements I'm talking about.
Each map is an overhauled version of the respective reforged map by Blizzard Entertainment. So, don't expect new story content or new missions, this just isn't the goal of this project.
All difficulty levels are rebalanced, with easy made a little harder than a cake walk, normal being an average level of difficulty and hard made more similar to Starcraft II brutal difficulty level.
I work on this in my free time. I plan to re-reforge the entire Prologue Campaign but cannot put a deadline on when it will be done. I'm also waiting for Blizzard to fix their game otherwise some things just cannot be done.
My goal is to show the amazing stuff that can be done with the new graphics to really brings Warcraft III into the modern era. I believe this game deserves it. It is very disappointing to see such an amazing graphics and such a classic game be re-released so unpolished.

Wait, you mean like what they promised on Blizzcon 2018?
Re-reforged means mostly to update the terrain, to update some maps/quests design, to add a choreography to each map briging neutral units or "background" units (villagers, etc.) to life. Also, it means to redesign completely all cutscene cinematics to be similar to the style of the Blizzcon 2018 The Culling cinematics. This comprehends adding additional cutscenes.

The overall feeling of each mission should be a modernized, polished and more immersive version of the original. Some citation to World of Warcraft or in general to Warcraft lore are added, without altering the overall story.

About that: the story is not changed and cannot be. This is not trying to reforge the game (or parts of it) the way Blizzard promised in 2018. This is just not possible with the resources at our disposal, and I believe it will never be.

Who is the creator?
I'm an italian software engineer and currently PhD student at the University of Siena. I'm also an hobbyst indie game developer working with Unity, Starcraft II Galaxy Editor and Warcraft III World Editor. Some of my works in Starcraft II comprehends a suite of scripts and the Top 10 finalist of the 2017 Rock the Cabinet competion Mercenary Business map.

How to play the map?
Until custom campaigns are back, to play the map you need to open the editor and load my map. Then you can choose the difficulty level by pressing File -> Preferences -> Test Map -> Difficulty level.
If you play and make a video out of it, please feel free to send it to me and I will gladly attach it here to showcase the map.
Note that owning of Warcraft III Reforged is required to play!

CURRENT ISSUES

Lip sync is broken, this is Blizzard's fault, not mine, so I cannot do anything to fix it.

DO YOU WANT TO CONTRIBUTE?

High quality assets, fixed reforged models, improved animations, hero models without glow are all things that can be useful to improve both the unfolding of the classic story and the cutscenes. For example, I could make use of:
  • A Thrall unmounted with fixed animations and head bone to rotate its head
  • A variant of various heroes with no glow for cinematics (currently already have Grom Hellscream, Thrall, Thrall Champion, Thrall Unmounted and Admiral Daelin Proudmore).
  • Medivh with fixed animations, since many of them are not designed to be looped with other animations, leading to strange movements.
  • Medivh with fixed cinematic tag, since if it is still with the cinematic tag attached it will revert to the raven form.

OFFICIAL VIDEOS

Note: all official playthroughs are played on hard difficulty and are played by me.

SHOWCASE VIDEOS

Changelog

05-03-2020:
  • Released Mission 02 (Departures) [v1.0]
  • Updated Mission 01 (Chasing Visions) [v1.2]:
    - The tutorial is now optional and can be skipped with an appropriate dialog (no story content is lost if the tutorial is not played)
    - Added footsteps sounds during cinematics to all units
    - Increased the number of animated tree (thanks to additional trigger optimization)
    - Improved sounds variety and quality both during gameplay and during cinematics
    - Added visual effects to Medivh while morphing
    - Added lighting effects during cutscenes
    - Improved a bit the terrain
    - Improved tutorial in some points (with optimizations and additional indicators)
    - Added lore "hints" to display additional info about the Warcraft lore during the game
    - The ogre now has some personality and is quite of a challenge
    - Added a shaman and a war mill to the orc encampment for additional variety
03-09-2020:
  • Updated Mission 01 (Chasing Visions) [v1.1]:
    - All creep camps now wake up when huts are attacked (if sleeping)
    - All creep camps spawn on harder difficulties is now bounded to the existance of the spawning hut
    - All creep camps spawn huts will immediately spawn their reinforcement if the relative hut is attacked
    - Improved the Sleeping Ogre camp
    - Fixed a bug which may cause the last cinematic to hang if a previous cutscene was skipped
    - Cleaned some triggers and removed some useless one
03-07-2020:
  • Released Mission 01 (Chasing Visions) [v1.0]

Mission 02 (Departures) changes from Blizzard's reforged
  • Overhauled terrain, level design and ambience sounds, remade from scratch the Alliance Naval Base and human village near it (more than half of the map) inspired by WoW lore
  • Added the fully animated and interactable village of Southshore, with some named WoW characters in it
  • Added a secret with a nice reference to WoW
  • Added a murloc creep camp
  • Added a secret creep camp referencing Wow lore of the area
  • Made the tutorial skippable while the story content is left intact
  • Added novel placement graphics during the "building structures" tutorial
  • Animated the trees (during the game AND during cinematics) taking care of performance
  • Added lore "hints" to display additional info about the Warcraft lore during the game
  • Added neutral critters all around the map
  • Added a custom (JASS) AI to the Alliance Forces
  • Increased a little bit the overall difficulty of the map (mostly because of the AI which is now able to react)
  • Overhauled all cinematics (redone from scratch while keeping the original design, you will be able to recognize them easily but they are much more like the Culling Demo of 2018)
  • Added hints and tips all around for better playability
  • Improved scripts performances and timings
  • Improved creep camps, at normal and hard difficulties neutral buildings will now reinforce their fellow comrades when the camp is attacked
  • Overhauled all three difficulty levels hero experience gain, damage dealt handicap and HP handicap standpoint
  • Increased the number of enemies found on hard and normal difficulties
  • Added more items/runes drops (very useful especially on hard difficulty)
  • Reorganized checkpoints to be more similar to Starcraft II

Mission 01 (Chasing Visions) changes from Blizzard's reforged
  • Overhauled terrain and ambience sounds, while keeping the level design intact (trees, doddoads, terrain textures, etc)
  • Made the tutorial skippable while the story content is left intact
  • Animated the trees (during the game AND during cinematics) taking care of performance
  • Added lore "hints" to display additional info about the Warcraft lore during the game (tip: click on the units in the orc encampment)
  • Added neutral critters all around the map
  • Overhauled orc encampment to actually be alive
  • Overhauled all cinematics (redone from scratch while keeping the original design, you will be able to recognize them easily but they are much more like the Culling Demo of 2018)
  • Added three new cinematics
  • Added hints and tips all around for new mechanics, from the marks on the minimap to rune and many more
  • Improved scripts performances and timings
  • Improved creep camps, at normal and hard difficulties neutral buildings will now reinforce their fellow comrades when the camp is attacked
  • Overhauled all three difficulty levels hero experience gain, damage dealt handicap and HP handicap standpoint
  • Increased the number of enemies found on hard and normal difficulties
  • Fixed some inconsistencies in unit stats
  • Reorganized checkpoints to be more similar to Starcraft II
Contents

RR Prologue 01 (Map)

RR Prologue 02 (Map)

Reviews
Shar Dundred
While the changes to the Reforged version are appreciated (and this is still WIP), they are still too minor to properly approve this resource. Moved to Substandard.
  1. tulee

tulee

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Would it not be better to put your energy into making a campaign that is not based on the original blizzard campaigns? Not trying to discourage you, but new campaigns often can bring more value to players than a revisioning of a campaign most people have already played.

2. InsaneMonster

InsaneMonster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Actually I'm just trying to reforge it for good...

3. A]mun

A]mun

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nicely done, i just played the prologue some days ago.

btw, when razing creep buildings at night, they will:
    a) not respond to the destruction of their buildings
    b) still spawn additional creeps, even-though you destroyed said buildings

here are some impressions (i'm playing with shadows off - much more fps in unit heavy mp-maps)

WC3ScrnShot_030720_181004_001.png WC3ScrnShot_030720_181452_001.png

4. InsaneMonster

InsaneMonster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks! :)

Good catch! I didn't think of that. Will fix it soon and update accordingly.

Was the frame rate good? I added a ton of doddoad but on my rig I had no problem whatsoever.

5. tulee

tulee

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Maybe you might try to "reforged it for good", but in the end how can you avoid doing exactly what blizzard did with Reforged?

Blizzard originally promised reforged to be something with a complete overhaul of the entire design of maps (such as the Stratholme demo), as well as the story changing based on WoW storyline (something which we did not even see in the demo, it was supposed to be that the entire dialogues would be changed).

Based on the screenshots you provided, you are not changing to the terrain to the extent the Stratholme mission was redesigned in, nor are you changing the story, since that would require voice acting.

It would appear you are "reforging" the campaign in the same way blizzard did--- i.e the way that was not promised, with just an updated campaign. Blizzard already did this. It did update cutscenes and cinematics in small ways. You are just following in its footsteps. If you are really serious about a Reforging the campaigns, then maybe it should be based on the way blizzard originally promised the campaign would be?

6. InsaneMonster

InsaneMonster

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm mostly talking about cinematics, terrain quality and difficulties rebalance. The original idea is of course not feasibile with the resource at my disposal. I've not said: I'll do what Blizzard promised at Blizzcon 2018, I just can't.

I've just done what I believe they should have done to make those amazing assets justice... I'm actually trying to make cinematics really more... cinematics. There are loads of changes, since they are redone from scratch to be similar to the original The Culling Blizzcon 2018 demo cinematics.

Reforged cinematics are so bad. While classic graphics was good for that kind of simplistic shots and animations, new reforged graphics is not. That's one big part of what I did here.

Let's say it this way: I just would like to reforge the game (or parts of it, depends on the time I have) the way I like it to be reforged. I cannot change the story. I can however redesign some missions, for example I would like to make Thrall protect some troll encampments in the third mission of the prologue while humans attack them. I would like to completely redesign mission three, four and five to use Naga themed units and sunken ruins tileset. Also I would like to add a real enemy to the second mission, while bringing back the naval base to life.

The first mission was so simple it didn't require such extensive changes. It very much depends on the mission. But god I dislike WoW so much and I will never ever use it as a reference for anything.

I will edit the description to make the scope of the project clear, however.

7. Tamplier777

Tamplier777

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Playing now. Very nice decision with adding critters, fog and and some actions to the camp)) It looks really live now!
    Suggestions:
    • Could you please put some hay below the sleeping ogre.
    • When Thrall steps out of hist hut - can he be unmounted? you could switch him to mounted version when he arrives to camp.
    • Don't you want to add cinematic shots for forest trolls encounter? You could add an agressive quote from one of the trolls using sound foresttrollwhat2 (Do you wanna axe?) or using jungle troll quote (Don't mess with a bad guy) headhunteryesatack2

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  8. InsaneMonster

InsaneMonster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Good idea! I will add it in the next update.

That was my first choice but I have to work with the limitations of the Reforged models. Thrall unmounted model has only three actually working animations (including the walk one), no head bone (cannot rotate its head) and no animations to be used during play (attack, spell, etc). If Blizzard (or some other modder) updates it, also by adding a mountless version of his wolf, I'll be glad to add what you suggest. After all, it doesn't make much sense to sleep with your wolf :p

Mmmh I'm not too convinced by that. Trolls are supposed to be part of the tutorial on sleeping creeps, but they have no sleep animation. I could remove that tutorial part and make them awake all along, but I'm not completely certain that is a good change. Otherwise I believe the cutscene would look bad without proper animation of them sleeping.

9. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources:
  10. Tamplier777

Tamplier777

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Check this
    Thrall (Mountless) with Spell and Attack

11. Yousef

Yousef

Resources:
    Resources:
    As I predicted, Blizzard failed us, but map makers will keep this game alive and do what Blizz failed to do.

12. InsaneMonster

InsaneMonster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Updated!

Thanks, I will write to the author to check if he can provide me all the fix I need to make it work properly in cutscenes.

I will keep an eye on that, but story changes are not planned (I cannot do them without additional dialogues).

Thank you very much :)

13. Storm Knight

Storm Knight

Resources:
    Resources:
    Reforging Reforged should be pretty easy.

I also hope u add some improvement to the gameplay of some of the missions.

Also some custom and more fitting spells for some heros, like Grom.

14. InsaneMonster

InsaneMonster

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's not easy at all. The game is not reforged actually, is just reskinned. Terrain is bad, design is old and cutscene are hard to make if you want them to look really good and modern. Also most cinematic animations are bugged a lot. Many assets are incomplete. The list goes on... I will do what I can, for now I want to limit myself to the prologue campaign, otherwise the task would become too big :p

15. Goffterdom

Goffterdom

Resources:
    Resources:
    I wish you the best of luck and love for all the passion you're putting into this.

I can tell, I can read it.

Keep up the good work!

PS: I think it would be catchy to have one of your cinematic in a youtube video preview in the map description :)

16. Anaxie

Anaxie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Being realistic here the chances you finiah the entire game are very unlikely.

Id estimate working daily this is atleast a 3 year project. Thats not counting bugs and broken ai that will emerge..

17. Storm Knight

Storm Knight

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah you are right, i was just saying its easy because if Blizzard actually did a good job it would be hard to convince people you added on top of it.
    But now that they have kindly went and F'ed the Campaigns. there is a lot you can do to improve it.

A proper reterraining alone should already make the Campaign leagues and bounds ahead of what Reforged is.

That's what i meant, if you get my point.

It was actually so underwhelming i never played it and i don't think i will, i'm actually looking forward to play some community made Campaigns.
    I guess your project will just be long time coming of making a better Campaign, because you know, multi billion dollar company, or should i say, smoll indie company, couldn't pull it off.

18. InsaneMonster

InsaneMonster

Resources:
    Resources:
    That's why I set up as goal only the prologue campaign as of now :)

19. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources: