1. Head to the 33rd Modeling Contest Poll and drink to your heart's desire.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Campaign] Warcraft 2 campaign (reforged)

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by ShadiHD, Jun 18, 2020.

1. ShadiHD

ShadiHD

Resources:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

We aim to recreate the campaign of WarCraft II in Reforged, giving it fresh gameplay, custom assets and extended lore. The project was set in
    motion for years before Reforged even came out, meaning that a solid foundation is set in place. This is a tremendous task which requires a lot of
    skill, resources and time. Everything is put into motion and we have a solid "pool" of assets so far. We do appreciate your support and donations
    to help us compensate our efforts and dedication in delivering a fresh experience of Blizzard's old game to the newer generation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Story will be heavy drawn from established lore in original games, World of Warcraft, Chronicles and other book series. While there
    are some discrepancies when it comes to certain events and characters, we made sure to deliver a clean, straight and presentable
    series of events that transpired in the second war.

[​IMG]
    Characters from the original early games will be featured in our campaign. Some will be cameos or appear in cinematics, while many
    others will be playable, such as: Anduin Lothar, Turalyon, Kargath Bladefist, Grom Hellscream and many other legendary characters
    from Warcraft lore who participated in the second war.

[​IMG]
    Gameplay will be greatly improved from the original game, meaning WarCraft III / Reforged style overhaul, which will include both
    ¨Tides of Darkness¨ and ¨Beyond the Dark Portal¨. The campaign will be story-linear driven unlike WarCraft II which depended
    heavily on choosing a side and "determining the outcome of the story" as well as having cool cinematics and sidequests.

[​IMG]
    Custom Assets fitting both WarCraft II aesthetic as well as apearances from World of Warcraft will be used for units, heroes and
    buildings. Meaning each Orcish Clan, Human Kingdom as well as other important faction such as Dwarves will feature many unique
    models and skins. This also includes custom doodads to improve the terrain and scenery. These assets are made with attention to
    their theme, for example Orcs will have Warlords of Draenor appearance, as well as the one seen in the WarCraft movie.

[​IMG]
    Techtree will of course be updated yet still keeping the feeling of to the original game. Units and heroes will have fitting abilities.
    Additionally unique aspects of different factions will add a flair to the base techtree, while a completely new one will be made for
    the Dwarves of Khaz Modan.

[​IMG]
    Voice Acting is important for immersion and will be featured for all characters and new Units. While our team has a mini-studio
    that is suitable for a clean voice acting we are also looking for others with such setups who could contribute to the project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can also follow our progress regarding models and other assets here:
    WarCraft: Chronicles of the Second War | HIVE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The project is helmed by me (ShadiHD) & Tamplier777 and the team's roles are as follows:

Tamplier777 - core plot writing, building and unit models, voice acting, animating, triggering, mapping, lore tweaking, project assembling

ShadiHD - team & project management, custom modelling and texturing, voice acting, mapping, lore tweaking, assembling

Moonman - RMS modelling and texturing (human units, characters, doodads), icons, presentation & video montage

Bagysta - RMS modelling and texturing (orc units, characters)

Triceron - RMS + custom modelling and texturing (characters, unique units)

antontama - melee multiplayer aspects of purist WC2 gameplay, icons, project marketing, community outreach

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Teaser I and II released, showing basic units for Orcs and Humans as well as a brief overview on their lore.
    [​IMG] Soon: Cinematic trailer (in game graphics)
    [​IMG] Soon: Playable Beta of the first 4 missions for Orc's campaign (scripted and with voice over)
    [​IMG] Looking for voice actors with high quality microphone setups.
    American, British and Scotisch/Irish accents for Humans and Dwarves, but other as well (see picture below).

Untitled-1.png

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  2. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    Can't wait to see all the new assets and gameplay for this!

3. tulee

tulee

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This is the most exciting part about what you wrote. Glad to see such large scale projects still being made.

4. ShadiHD

ShadiHD

Resources:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    keep checking our profiles for teasers :)

we'll not disappoint!

5. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    If I make any resources that might be useful I'll throw them your way ;)

6. ShadiHD

ShadiHD

Resources:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:

that we would be a welcomed gesture!

7. ShadiHD

ShadiHD

Resources:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    we'd like to inform you that @Triceron has joined our humble team and he's been kind enough to lend us his skillset and providing great custom models for our project!

8. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    Yes, even more Reforged models hehehe!

9. Goffterdom

Goffterdom

Resources:
    Resources:
    Can't wait to see your work guys!

Keep it up :wthumbsup:

10. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Good luck.

11. Moonman

Moonman

Resources:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Check our our first teaser, showcasing custom models of basic Human units as well as giving a brief summary on Human Kingdoms!

12. tulee

tulee

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The trailer looks great. I am not sure though why it is important to have the different factions have different variations of units. I mean, wouldn't it just be easier to have heroes represent the factions? It sounds like a huge amount of work to have variations for the different kingdoms (and clans?) even though unless the campaign is 20 missions + long, we might not even see that much of every kingdom.

13. Moonman

Moonman

Resources:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    My father always said:
    ¨We don't tread on easy paths!¨

It will not only make the campaign feel more interesting, it is also quite a bit of fun exploring the lore/aesthetics of each faction and making said units!

14. ShadiHD

ShadiHD

Resources:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    Tides of Darkness has 30 missions, humans & orcs combined.
    beyond the dark portal has 24 missions for both combined..

we aim to be unique ^_^ lazy simple skins are not what our project is

15. tulee

tulee

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I am happy to hear about each faction being unique, just was concerned it might make the project harder to complete.

Well, 54 missions is quite a high goal.

Just out of curiosity, is your team going to finish all the models first, and then work on the campaign itself? I mean, there are a number of lessons that can be learned from previous large projects that focused on assets before trying to make the campaign. It is possible that if you and your team were to make 1 mission before finishing all the assets, it might change your mind about making a Fifty-Four mission long campaign.

I do not mean to come across as telling you guys what to do though. Just an observation on previous large scale projects on hive. Wish you guys luck.

16. ShadiHD

ShadiHD

Resources:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:

the core project was @Tamplier777 he spent 10 years of his life building it and "upgrading it" as years went by, so you can mostly say that almost 70% of the campaign, the layout and the quests are there, me and the rest of the team tagged along and helped him achieve his goal, by providing him custom models, helping with lore, tweaking and and provide voice acting, so mostly everything's covered, we're just taking our sweet time polishing a couple of stuff, and our current plan is to release the first 4 missions of the Orc campaign for Hive members to test, so they can familiarize themselves with out project and to see what to except from us!

17. tulee

tulee

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh, wow. I had no idea so much of it was completed already. Alright, I am fully convinced this will be one of the biggest custom campaigns hiveworkshop has ever seen. Thank you and the whole team for so much hard work, even during this pandemic.

18. ShadiHD

ShadiHD

Resources:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    I hope we'll not disappoint! we're eager more than anyone of presenting something good for this community

19. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You are definitely not going small. I like what I see here.
    Keep up the good work!

20. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Incredible trailer. I was introduced to Warcraft via #2, and this really brings me back. While I think the models look great (for Reforged), I'm mostly jazzing out about the voice-acting. I mean, there was definitely still an accent, but @ShadiHD you really nailed that resonant bass of the OG Warcraft campaign cinematics & I'm lovin' it. : )

~~~

I have witnessed & archived the rise & fall of many great projects before, and I can mirror Tulee's testament: the greatest sin was hubris. Taking on more Project than can reasonably be done, biting off more than one can chew. In particular, setting out to completely remake all the visuals (models, icons, textures, SFX, UIs, etc) was a big warning sign.

I don't say that to sound like a Pessimist, nor to turn you from your Goal. Moreover, I'm quite pleased to hear that much of the actual work on the "playable" bit has already been done (though we've yet to see it), as that is truly the most important part (It is a truism that one can always add in the graphics later... But all the custom resources in the world don't make a playable, finished product). I do honestly express Hope & Optimism that you are successful in your goal.