1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Retera Model Studio Reforged Hack

Discussion in 'Warcraft Editing Tools' started by Retera, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hi guys. I've been going around the internet toting the potential of a Retera Model Studio Reforged hacked version and the kinds of things that it could make.

Everyone who saw it wanted access to the technology so that they could begin making their own Reforged models in the same way that I was doing.

At first I was thinking maybe I could run this like I was doing Retera Model Studio, where I develop slowly over a huge number of years and then publish my progress whenever I feel like it's getting good. But to be honest, Reforged Beta is happening *NOW* and so if there is any chance that my tool would be useful to people, it is silly to keep them waiting. One guy already figured out that he could download the code of the tool and run it from source at my github link (Retera/JWC3) but the average user does not want to bother with that.

So I decided that although this isn't a finished tool to go in the tools section yet, nor to replace the Retera Model Studio that is on there, I could do these nightly builds of the Reforged-compatible version of this thing, where I figure I will just edit this post every night or every few nights with the latest snapshot of whatever state my program is in.

Obviously, that means there will be bugs. There ARE bugs. This thing has so many bugs, and is so incredibly laggy, I know that I will feel your pain in my dreams even if I'm asleep while you use it. But that's OK because I was already using it, so that shows it is good for something.

Technological teasers:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Things you must know before using this modified Retera Model Studio client:
    1. This is a prototype with hacked in support for Reforged model so a huge bunch of stuff is not working correctly
    2. You should be able to open classic Warcraft III model files in this tool and press the magic button on them to then save them in the Reforged formatted way, so that the Reforged Beta accepts your model 100%. (Even starting tomorrow if Blizzard does another patch, this might no longer be necessary.)
    3. I use a CASC parser called JCASC developed by DrSuperGood to load Blizzard's warcraft game data from inside of a Java program. JCASC doesn't support encrypted data like Reforged yet, and Blizzard did not give DrSuperGood access to the beta yet (and I was lazy and didn't go add to his code), so in order to use this, you have to get ALL OF THE REFORGED FILES IN A FOLDER ON YOUR COMPUTER BY YOUR OWN MEANS and then point my tool at the folder. It doesn't understand the game format. (I used the casc viewer tool that I found on Google search for this purpose)
    4. It probably crashes if you don't do that and point it at standard WC3 instead. Not really sure.
    5. If you are working on a reforged model, the way 3d stuff links to animations changed, so I fixed the previewer so it will preview some animations for you sometimes and allow you to see the names and get a feel for hidden animations -- and there are LOTS of hidden cinematic animations in special poses like the footman cleaning his shield -- but if you go into the animation editor even though it works you can't see what you're doing.
    6. One of my big focuses over the weekend was the MDL format. I just told a guy that I upgraded the MDL format and he asked me "Aaaaaah... INTERESTING! but but didn't model making move away from the MDL format? All I see, in like "Iceborn" map are MDX files.. not MDL files..." MDL format is what you have instead of the Magos application. It is text so you can read it. You can read the name of your shader that your material is using or read the name of the PBX file used in your popcorn emitter or you can change which facefx facial animation file your model is referencing.
    7. My MDL format that this saves to is not consistent with any other program because I was not aware of any other MDL systems. If Blizzard published the new MDL specifications, please post on this thread and we will change my made-up specifications for my own MDL that I invented and then we will use the Blizzard specifications instead, like how it was for the old MDL format in the old days, I figure.
    8. The only binary system I have observed that my MDL format does not convert correctly when it goes between MDL and MDX are new shading flags on the materials. I found the TwoSided flag and so I support that again (it's a material flag now rather than a layer flag) but there are other flags and I didn't go figure out what they are and therefore this tool will erase them by accident while editing. I already noticed a tuft of grunt hair that caused me to fix TwoSided but there are probably other similar missing materials. But I support popcorn particles (references, I haven't looked at PBX files yet) and so you can at least attempt to transfer them between models using the Import functionality.
    9. I included the unit meta data file some people were wondering about that was referenced in a video that I made over the weekend. It lets you fix the icons on your custom units' abilities in the current reforged beta (hopefully fixed soon like tomorrow in a patch, who knows, so then that won't even be necessary)
    10. And thanks again to Ghostwolf for his open source solutions and support with MDX900, couldn't have done this without him.
    Edit: Now updated with version 0.04.2020.01.04 with a rough draft of recalculate tangents feature. I have also removed the older versions. If you need those in the future, they should be available when building from source from my github repo.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  2. CentaurWarlord

CentaurWarlord

Resources:
    Resources:
    YAAAY! Time to tinker! :D

3. sonphamthe11H

sonphamthe11H

Resources:
    Resources:
    finally u released it

4. CentaurWarlord

CentaurWarlord

Resources:
    Resources:
    Retera, did I use the right CASC Viewer? There are multiple ones out there. I used this one here: Casc Storages - Main page

I have used this tool in the past to get icons, models from Reforged.

However, I can't get this to work with Retera Model Studio 0.04... been banging my head against the wall... t just gives an error message of 2 attempts already used... I tried adding it as a CASC folder with the mods, then as just simply a folder, then tried even pointing to the C drive installation of Warcraft III Reforged. No dice... I know this has worked with the original vanilla classic WC3TFT with Retera Model Studio 0.03... I'm setting up the folder/CASC directory wrongly, I'm afraid.... however even with the vanilla classic WC3TFT CASC... the new 0.04 is crashing and not working> GAH, so close yet so far.. it must be something silly I'm missing

Does Retera Model Studio need the ENTIRE CASC folder of Reforged? A lot of the files aren't actually used. And only the "_hd.w3mod" seems to be the active one. Why can't we just specify that file alone? Just trying to understand RMS requirements.

5. sonphamthe11H

sonphamthe11H

Resources:
    Resources:
    load the casc directly by the tool

6. CentaurWarlord

CentaurWarlord

Resources:
    Resources:
    What do you mean by that?

Yes, I'm trying to point RMS to the right folder or CASC... yet it's not working.... unless there is another tool to point and setup correctly

7. sonphamthe11H

sonphamthe11H

Resources:
    Resources:
  8. CentaurWarlord

CentaurWarlord

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh ok, so you have the same issue as me then?

Add CASC FAIL
    NOTE: Yes, I'm adding from the Warcraft III Reforged installation here... but I get the same error from Add Folder from CASC_VIEW extracted "_hd.w3mod" anyways, or "war3.w3mod" or "_deprecated.w3mod".
    [​IMG]

First Error Message:
    [​IMG]

Second Error Message:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  9. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    In order for it to work, I had to layer 5 folders in order. I forgot to mention this. I loaded:

Code (Text):
    war3.w3mod
    war3.w3mod\_locales\<lang>.w3mod
    war3.w3mod\_deprecated.w3mod
    war3.w3mod\_hd.w3mod
    war3.w3mod\_hd.w3mod\_locales\<lang>.w3mod
    For <lang> thus far I only tested enus

Sorry this is complicated, but I think this is close to the correct list of mods used by the game so that we can load game files for quick browsing unit data.

These folders were added as folders, not CASC, to make it work for me. As mentioned before, the built in casc functionality is not working correctly on this edition of my code.

Edit: So, if it's not clear, the folders do not come with the installation of Reforged Beta. You will not find them. Make 15GB extra hard disk space, then extract all to these folders with some other CASC tool

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  10. slimlocker

slimlocker

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is great @Retera ! I'm having a lot of fun replacing weapons and fooling around!
    How did you get the texture to work on that footman? :)

11. chopinski

chopinski

Resources:
    Resources:
  12. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @slimlocker For me, as long as the "View -> Texture Models" option is turned on, then it should load the texture and display it. I load the 4-6 layers of the material and then throw them all away, except for the Diffuse layer. It is loaded by DDSUtils that I found online from this repo:
    Dahie/DDS-Utils

It looks to me like this DDS library is too slow and cannot load ORM/NORM textures. That's why I only display the diffuse layer. I know it is very different from the in-game appearance.

@chopinski @CentaurWarlord When I have some spare time tonight, I might get my old computer and made a tutorial explaining how to set up this tool on a fresh computer.

13. Zak17

Zak17

Resources:
    Resources:
    I keep getting these two errors. The longer one shows up after I add my install directory, and the smaller one shows up when i click OK after adding the main extraction folder. This is the first time Ive ever used your program, so I have no idea what I am doing.

Also, thanks for your help here and on Reddit. I'm highlordanduin over there.

Attached Files:

14. chopinski

chopinski

Resources:
    Resources:
    ok, thank you very much.

15. CentaurWarlord

CentaurWarlord

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thank you SO much for that code snippet. I got it to work. YAAAAY!

Basically, I think I just failed to connect the localisations with the _locales and enus

Basically, war3.w3mod followed by the _locales... I think what I was missing were the _locales\enus.w3mod, basically the 2 localisations were missing and that's mebbe perhaps connected to the 2 failed attempts

[​IMG]

What's strange is that I DEFINITELY tried the "Add Folder" approach, but I added only the "war3.w3mod", the "_hd.w3mod" and the "_deprecated.w3mod" without the "_locales\enus.w3mod" folders under BOTH the "war3.wmod" and the "_hd.w3mod". THOSE were the crucial parts, I think :D

I used CASC_VIEW by zezula to download all 15-20 GBs of the Warcraft III Reforged. Then, I "Add Folder" NOT "Add CASC" or "Add MPQ". Add the specific folders as Retera has shown and how I have shown above in the pic.

Basically, my path is: E:\MODS\AI_MODS\WARCAFT3\WC3R_BETA_RESOURCES\FULL_CASC_WC3R_BETA

My E drive is my 1TB HDD where I store ALL my modded files, texutres, models. My 1 TB SSD is only for the OS and the executables (actually it's down to just 170 GBs... so I probably need to invest into another 1 TB SSD drive; I do try to keep modding EXECUTABLES on the SSD as well, perhaps that could make the RMS faster, Retera?). I try to keep my SSD free from the modding files which are better suited to be living on the HDD drive that is far more expendable.

Hopefully, you chopinski were able to make this work as well. Unfortunately, I can't help you further until I get back from a work conference this Sunday, late at night.

Gah, I really really want to dig into this tool, especially for a Centaur Ascendant unit with wings (of Eagle) using the Outrunner model but with archer animations of Impaler. I'll need Retera's help still, but I'll try to do this Centaur Ascendant as much as possible on my own first. It's just I don't have much time in the next 5 hours before I have to go to the airport for the work conference trip. Grrr lol >_<

Cheerios! :D

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  16. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sounds good! I think you basically already covered it, but here's a video from me covering that same topic with regards to how to fix bugs and problems like what you guys were seeing @chopinski @Zak17

17. slimlocker

slimlocker

Resources:
    Resources:
    Any tips on how to integrate/install this? Sorry about the needy questioning hehe...

18. chopinski

chopinski

Resources:
    Resources:

Great tutorial, it worked! Wheres this magic button??

19. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @slimlocker I am not sure, as it was supposed to work automatically. Years ago someone told me they had this problem, all the models were white regardless, and that it went away when they updated their graphics drivers. I'm not sure.

@chopinski
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. slimlocker

slimlocker

Resources:
    Resources:
    Works now! :) I installed before you put out the installation guide and just went full trial and error mode. Uninstalled and resintalled using your guide, now it works! :) Thanks for this release!

Just curious how you delete materials, like you mentioned before.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019