• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Retera Model Studio Reforged Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I managed to open the files library, but I got "Assertion Error" when I tried to open particular model.
Did anybody face this issue?

Retera Model Studio v0.04.2020.01.05 Nightly Build.png

@Tamplier777 Hey, it looks to me like you have "View -> Use Native MDX Parser" turned off. You must keep that box checked (it is the default setting to be on). But it looks like yours got unchecked somehow.

When it is turned off, Reforged models will not work and will give you this assertion error.

Basically, this checkbox is very old from an old version of my code. It used to be while I was developing the MDX code, that if it didn't work it would use an external tool to convert MDX->MDL and then load the MDL using my MDL code because it was more reliable.

But the external tools (which is still there) doesn't support reforged models. This is a good point you have brought up -- I should get rid of that external tool. And I should get rid of that setting.

Also I noticed that doodads and building models are displaying without any issues, but when I open any Hero Model (Guldan, Archmage) I got this error message and its model not displayed in perspective window.

Message 2020-01-13 13.07.13.png

Seems like the reason is Hero Glow or some heavy hero models eat out all memory for this app

Last edited:
Does no one have an idea how to fix the problem Nivas posted? I have exactly the same issue.

I looked in the code at line 2570 listed by Nivel. It appears to suggest that the program is not running from the folder that it should download inside of.
This might happen if you didn't unzip it, and just tried to run it while it was in a ZIP file in the windows browser, maybe.
If you didn't do that, I would specifically check if it was running inside of a folder that contains these two subdirectories:
  • ImageBin
  • stock

Level 1
I definitely executed the model editor and its .jar file out of the unzipped folder. And yes there are these two subdirectories you listed. There is no change in the error if i delete them.

Hey guys! I updated the front page with version 0.04.2020.02.11 to try to help with some bugs and issues.
  1. Geosets should now be tagged with their LOD name in the Edit tab (thanks to @Razorclaw_X )
  2. I made a new EXE file that is smaller and more likely to work... I think. Let me know if it works on your PC to use "ReterasModelStudio.exe" (if you care)
  3. I put in some untested code for allowing command line arguments to the JAR to open a model on startup so that you could eventually just double click models in windows to open them, but I didn't fix the new EXE to forward the arguments yet, so that part won't work
  4. I removed the toggle for "Use Native MDX Parser" entirely, so now it is 100% gone and we will just run with the java-based solution (it is the only one that supports Reforged)
  5. I made double click on .dds textures work in the CASC/Data browser
  6. I made some change that might make models load faster but honestly it's still pretty slow
  7. For new users, I changed the data source chooser guy to automatically populate the "_hd.w3mod" CASC prefixes if it detects them when pointed at a Reforged installation
  8. Not due to anything that I changed, the release version of Reforged is not encrypted and so the built-in CASC parser is working again. It is no longer necessary to use CASCView to extract everything first.
  9. Fixed a weird issue where ribbons and particles could confuse their pivot points
The past few weeks I did not get much done. Most of these changes were made this evening in the last 3 hours so it's possible that there are bugs. In case I broke anything, I left the old version up for download on the front page, too, so make sure you get the right version.
Notable things that I did NOT do yet, but I would like to do soon:
  1. Did not yet fix Perspective viewport for reforged models so that they don't look like inanimate, sky-colored crap
  2. Did not yet fix the MDL format to be the official Blizzard one posted by @Barncastle (Really it shouldn't take me too long to fix, I was just lazy... Thanks again for the note)
  3. Did not yet add editors for each type of node and for materials and general model settings
  4. Did not yet find a way to make loading models really efficient so that it doesn't lag on Reforged models

Hey guys! I updated the front page with version 0.04.2020.02.11 to try to help with some bugs and issues.
  1. Geosets should now be tagged with their LOD name in the Edit tab (thanks to @Razorclaw_X )
  2. I made a new EXE file that is smaller and more likely to work... I think. Let me know if it works on your PC to use "ReterasModelStudio.exe" (if you care)
  3. I put in some untested code for allowing command line arguments to the JAR to open a model on startup so that you could eventually just double click models in windows to open them, but I didn't fix the new EXE to forward the arguments yet, so that part won't work
  4. I removed the toggle for "Use Native MDX Parser" entirely, so now it is 100% gone and we will just run with the java-based solution (it is the only one that supports Reforged)
  5. I made double click on .dds textures work in the CASC/Data browser
  6. I made some change that might make models load faster but honestly it's still pretty slow
  7. For new users, I changed the data source chooser guy to automatically populate the "_hd.w3mod" CASC prefixes if it detects them when pointed at a Reforged installation
  8. Not due to anything that I changed, the release version of Reforged is not encrypted and so the built-in CASC parser is working again. It is no longer necessary to use CASCView to extract everything first.
  9. Fixed a weird issue where ribbons and particles could confuse their pivot points
The past few weeks I did not get much done. Most of these changes were made this evening in the last 3 hours so it's possible that there are bugs. In case I broke anything, I left the old version up for download on the front page, too, so make sure you get the right version.
Notable things that I did NOT do yet, but I would like to do soon:
  1. Did not yet fix Perspective viewport for reforged models so that they don't look like inanimate, sky-colored crap
  2. Did not yet fix the MDL format to be the official Blizzard one posted by @Barncastle (Really it shouldn't take me too long to fix, I was just lazy... Thanks again for the note)
  3. Did not yet add editors for each type of node and for materials and general model settings
  4. Did not yet find a way to make loading models really efficient so that it doesn't lag on Reforged models
Hi! How to link geoset to bone? Can't find it.

Does recalculate normals work correctly?

Recalculate normals algorithm was changed in one of the previous 0.04 versions. Does it seem better or worse for you? I made it less blocky, so that it would consider concentric vertices to be the same one.
Whether the user actually wants concentric vertices to be treated as the same may actually vary based on circumstance, so I might need to make it optional.

There are two options for geoset to bone linking. Either select both at once and press CTRL+W, or select only the geoset mesh and right click and go to `Re-assign "Matrix"` and choose the bone on a dropdown.

Edit: Regarding normals, also be aware that Reforged models also have tangents on every vertex and in some cases, some if my code like rotation that properly fixes normals after editing might not fix tangents in every case yet. I added a recalculate tangents function, but I don't think it works correctly yet and I don't yet understand why not. But you can find it under `Scripts -> Recalculate Tangents`.

Recalculate normals algorithm was changed in one of the previous 0.04 versions. Does it seem better or worse for you? I made it less blocky, so that it would consider concentric vertices to be the same one.
Whether the user actually wants concentric vertices to be treated as the same may actually vary based on circumstance, so I might need to make it optional.

There are two options for geoset to bone linking. Either select both at once and press CTRL+W, or select only the geoset mesh and right click and go to `Re-assign "Matrix"` and choose the bone on a dropdown.

Edit: Regarding normals, also be aware that Reforged models also have tangents on every vertex and in some cases, some if my code like rotation that properly fixes normals after editing might not fix tangents in every case yet. I added a recalculate tangents function, but I don't think it works correctly yet and I don't yet understand why not. But you can find it under `Scripts -> Recalculate Tangents`.
I used your recalculate tangents, but after it it's imposible to save model as mdl. And Ctrl+W is snap vertecies in Edit.

Level 3
How do I import aned edit textures using this program? I have some PBR I need to convert. Also do I convert them to blp or .dds? Thanks

You can edit basic texture paths in `Tools -> Edit Textures` I believe it is. If you want more advanced texture path editing, save as MDL and modify the contents of the file with a text editor. I do look forward to making a GUI so MDL is not necessary, but I did not make that yet.

Also, I got a dds reader in my tool but the library I found cannot save as DDS. For now, if you want to do that, I suggest Paint.NET or Gimp or maybe photoshop if you had that, but I haven't used photoshop in a long time.

Level 8
Hmmmm. I edited the water texture and it worked beautifully, reduced the size of water texture for a small boat, but the problem is... inside the game, the edited water texture still did not reduced its size, and also the original Reforged water texture is still there... annoying... I guess there's nothing we can do about the water texture issue for now. But, strange... I found customized boat that is still from old WC3 does not show the original water texture, but shows customized water texture only. Strange. How do I turn off the original water texture off my new small boat for custom water texture to be shown only? And, how do I get the water texture size reduced inside the game since I reduced it in the model editor, but does not show reduced water texture inside the game. It's like changing the size of water texture in your world editor shows no effect inside the game. Hmmm.

Level 8
This error pops up when trying to open the Keeperofthegrove or Cenarius models within the Model Studio. Keeperofthegroveghost is fine though.

Attachments

• Error.png
    Error.png
    101.1 KB · Views: 125
Level 4
I want to 3D print a lot of the models from Reforged and use them for DnD minis or wargaming. is there a way to export the models to an obj or something else blender can open? ideally i would like to export frames from animations to be printed so i have different poses.

edit: nvm, just found the OBJ option in "Save As"
edit 2: and apparently that hasn't been implemented yet. Ah, well. Still, thank you for all your help, I'm excited to see where this goes.

Last edited:
Level 2
Hi sir, can i use this tool on the official warcraft 3 reforged release? Or is it strictly for the beta version?

I was planning on making a custom footman for my custom map. hihi.

Thank you! ^^,

Level 4
Hi sir, can i use this tool on the official warcraft 3 reforged release? Or is it strictly for the beta version?

I was planning on making a custom footman for my custom map. hihi.

Thank you! ^^,
I've been able to use it for the main game so far. You shouldn't have any trouble, especially since the last update was in February.

Level 8
Thanks to your program and video guides, I managed to make an unmounted Tyrande! (I'm new here so sorry if the screenshots are screwed up)
full
full

I had to removed the arrow cuz it kept bugging out and I couldn't fix it sadly (it wouldn't animate at all and just looked weird.) The model came out pretty decent though.
I used Shandris as a base for the animations, but I am considering trying it again but with the High Elf ranger model, like Sylvanas.

Thank you for the program and the guides. You've done a lot for the community with this stuff!

Level 2
The Clear All thing does work for people who have 1.32 installed, but didn't buy Reforged. In case anyone wanted confirmation on that.

New Update guys! Version 0.04.2020.03.03 changes the way textures load so that Reforged models are supposed to load faster, and also if you go to the Animation Editor you can see the preview of your Reforged character being animated now.
Please test this version. I changed a lot of code in the texture loader logic and I probably broke something. Does it still work with custom textures on custom models that come from outside of game data storage?

I left the previous versions up since I probably broke something, but I do think I'm seeing the models load faster on this version.

Level 21
Truly loads faster, but why do i get these messy windows? (re-tabbing solves the issue, but it's happening everytime i highlight sth in the editor)

spazzed out.jpg

Level 2
I just wanted to say thank you for working on this, you're awesome. I don't have 3DS max so this is crucial. There is a bunch of stuff I've already created for my current project using your tool. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is merging objects to a skeleton.

Looking forward to more improvements and completed features.

Status
Not open for further replies.