1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Retera Model Studio Reforged Hack

Discussion in 'Warcraft Editing Tools' started by Retera, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    @Marshmalo In general, yes. The video I posted on the previous page gives a tutorial how to set up this hacked copy of my tool. It doesn't really work well otherwise.

Also, for anybody who knows how to build from source, the online source version is ahead of the download link and I forgot to update it again. I changed out the DDS texture parser to one that is slightly faster to reduce lag.

Edit: Hopefully it won't be difficult to use. My goal is to do stuff to make it easier. But I never quite caught up with Magos in terms of features because I am so much of a Notepad++/MDL user and so I wasn't incentivized to bother with stuff like "Material Manager". I want to add those, but I have been a little lazy.

2. Razorclaw_X

Razorclaw_X

Resources:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    Something I noticed about the new MDX models is that they include 3 versions for LOD (level of detail) and all the geosets are effectively 'named' that way.

I don't suppose that you could append that 'name' next to the Geoset so it's easier to tell which geosets belong to what LoD? I only noticed this because of a little difficulty in separating the Mortar Team duo and delving into the MDL revealed this little tidbit (also explains why the MDX files are so flippin' huge).

====

Anyway Magos was never a tool I heavily used-- I only used it to Recalculate Extents (which I think is the only tool around that even does this) and set Cameras easy, of which no other tool is particularly good at (although even Magos is lacking in this department because you have to guess how big it'll appear in War3). Learning how to use this tool is a bit of a learning curve since I am used to a combo of Mdlvis and Notepad ++ and Mdlvis is pretty much dodo bird lately.

3. Marshmalo

Marshmalo

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I got it to work, thanks! Tutorial was very helpful and just having a play around with it now.

However, I am just looking to simply remove the hero glow on some Reforged models, so they can be used as normal units. In classic WC3 this was simple, you just selected the vertex and deleted it.

But it appears the hero glow model is not actually included in the model unlike classic hero models. Am I right in assuming this is an attachment the reforged client automatically assigns this model?

Is it on one of the nodes and do you know how I would go about removing this?

upload_2019-12-22_13-38-4.png

4. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    Yes, it is now a popcorn particle node and the name is something like Hero Glow. You should be able to toggle it to become a visible dot with a particle icon, then select and delete it.

@Razorclaw_X Yes we can make that change to show the name. I am on vacation and was lazy recently, so it may be some time before I get around to changing this and publishing it. But it's a good idea, and you are totally correct.

5. Marshmalo

Marshmalo

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This is an excellent tool!

I managed to remove hero glow from Reforged models and import no problem!

The texture exporter is also extremely useful, I was also reskin and recolour the tif files. The model editor dosnt support exports to tif format, so I exported to PNG, edited the textures in GIMP then exported to tif format. Though interestingly, I had to set the texture to HD mode but the imported reforged model worked fine with the SD flag, and still had metallic reflections.

Thanks for your work on this Retera, it's great to be able to edit reforged assets :)

6. Ghullie

Ghullie

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm trying to export just the helmet of a Footman to use as a special effect attachment, but it's invisible in the editor and in-game.

Currently I just delete every other geoset and node except the Helmet and Hair models, go to scripts-> Assign Formatversion 800, & export as mdx.
    This way I can open it in older MDX editing tools. (other methods have resulted in crash) But it still it appears invisible in editor and and ingame.

What's the proper way of doing this?

Also how does the game know what LOD to display? Is that info stored in the geoset? Is it possible that because I tried to export LOD0 it just doesn't appear because its ment for portraits?

7. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    Hey guys! I have not been working much on this tool during the holidays, but I just posted an update on the front page including version v0.04.2020.01.04 that includes some minor updates and bug fixes.

So, in general, the "Assign FormatVersion 800" button and the "HD->SD" buttons aren't something that I really intended to include with the tool, I just forgot to remove them in the last few releases.
    They were used to make this joke video (this is running on Patch 1.26):

The point of this video is that we should not try to convert Reforged models to the old, non-Reforged format. Doing so will generally corrupt them and make a lot of stuff go wrong, since you can't express the Reforged models and their data in the old format in most cases. For example, if you convert to MDX800 and then to MDX1000, it won't be the same model. You will lose a lot of data.

Mostly those types of tools exist so that we could convert old models to the new format, since doing so actually is a more sane thing to do and is better supported by the game itself.

8. Khaletsky

Khaletsky

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hello, this seems to be a very cool tool, but I still wonder if it possible to change or create new animations with this? Or still WIP?

9. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    Yea, just press F to pay respect to the animation editor.

(Or click on the icon of the orange ball at the top)

The animation editor was written for SD model and it previews the bone structure but not the model, so it is still a work in progress.
    You can convert the model to SD, then animate it, then import the animation back onto the HD rig and it still looks pretty good.
    Just don't convert from SD back to HD in the same file -- the conversion process loses information.

10. Khaletsky

Khaletsky

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks.

11. Tamplier777

Tamplier777

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    Hi, I managed to open the files library, but I got "Assertion Error" when I tried to open particular model.
    Did anybody face this issue?

Retera Model Studio v0.04.2020.01.05 Nightly Build.png

12. Razorclaw_X

Razorclaw_X

Resources:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    You can ignore that; that won't damage or harm the model or anything.

13. Tamplier777

Tamplier777

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    but I can't view model cuz this window opens again and again and application hangs

14. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    @Tamplier777 Hey, it looks to me like you have "View -> Use Native MDX Parser" turned off. You must keep that box checked (it is the default setting to be on). But it looks like yours got unchecked somehow.

When it is turned off, Reforged models will not work and will give you this assertion error.

Basically, this checkbox is very old from an old version of my code. It used to be while I was developing the MDX code, that if it didn't work it would use an external tool to convert MDX->MDL and then load the MDL using my MDL code because it was more reliable.

But the external tools (which is still there) doesn't support reforged models. This is a good point you have brought up -- I should get rid of that external tool. And I should get rid of that setting.

15. Tamplier777

Tamplier777

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    OMG it helped) thank you so much)

16. Tamplier777

Tamplier777

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    Also I noticed that doodads and building models are displaying without any issues, but when I open any Hero Model (Guldan, Archmage) I got this error message and its model not displayed in perspective window.

Message 2020-01-13 13.07.13.png

Seems like the reason is Hero Glow or some heavy hero models eat out all memory for this app

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  17. Nivas

Nivas

Resources:
    Resources:
    • Hello! An error occurs during startup. How can I fix it?
    • [​IMG]

18. Tamplier777

Tamplier777

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    1. Update Java for your windows
    2. Restart your PC
    3. Run ReterasModelStudio.jar as executive file for this app

19. Nivas

Nivas

Resources:
    Resources:
    When you start ReterasModelStudio.jar errors occur.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Tamplier777

Tamplier777

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    For now this tool is ok to edit small mdx files up to 3-4 mb. But it almost impossible to work with larger files due to constant lags and fails.