• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Retera Model Studio Reforged Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Unknown error occurred:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.matrixeater.src.MainPanel.<init>(MainPanel.java:1361)
at com.matrixeater.src.MainFrame.<init>(MainFrame.java:299)
at com.matrixeater.src.MainFrame$1.run(MainFrame.java:249)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$400(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

at both launch and installation. drivers up to date, java reinstalled and both programs you mentioned were downloaded

Level 1
Hello! I found your program and work really awesome! But I have a few problems with exporting models:
If I'm trying to "Save as" to obj format it says
upload_2020-3-8_13-7-9.png

And if I choose to "Export Texture" and trying to save it in any folder (even if I choose all of types) it says:
upload_2020-3-8_13-9-13.png

I used your video from Youtube to Instal your program!

Level 4
I find that I am unable to match line 1361 against the latest version of the software. Are you using the version that ends in 03.03 ? I left some old versions on the front page, which is slightly confusing.

just tried ReterasModelStudioV0.04.2020.02.11 and it opens up just fine, the new ones still wont budge though

Level 8
I have questions about this Reforged Model Editor.

1. How do you be in 360 camera for redesigning the model like view tab?

2. I am trying to add barrels to Night Elf Transport, but how do you make the barrel to be sailing with the ship? The ship is sailing, but the barrel is not sailing with it. It stay like frozen, you know?

3. Where can I find barrel of explosives in this model editor? Or how do I paint black "TNT" word on barrel in model editor? Or I will just paint it in texture?

4. How do you zoom in and out in either view or edit tabs?

5. I have problem with trying to export the texture blp in this model editor. How do I get texture blp exported out of barrel unit?

6. How do you enable the smokes from Siege Engine's exhaust in preview tab? It's not showing smokes in either stand or walk animation.

----------------------------------------

2.)

upload_2020-3-8_23-11-57.png

----------------------------------------
5. )

upload_2020-3-8_23-17-27.png

EDIT: I FIGURED IT ALL OUT! ALL GOOD! THANKS, THOUGH!

Last edited:
You need to create a bone for barrel. Tight click on the view with selected barrel mesh - pick option re-assign matrix - then choose you bone and assign to it.
After that pick your bone and right click in the view - choose "set parent" - set the sip root bone as a parent.
Then the barrel will be animated with the ship like its own part

Level 3
Hey there,

I'm actively using your amazing tool Retera,
That's the first time i post here for long ago, but we already discussed on wow forums (as Guema).

anyway since 03.03 I get this error when trying to Scripts > Edit/delete model components

upload_2020-3-10_12-26-23.png

I verified, it works well in 03.01 (the previous vers.)

I can provide you additionnal reports if you want.

EDIT : FIXED, see my other message below

Last edited:
Level 3
Hello! I found your program and work really awesome! But I have a few problems with exporting models:
If I'm trying to "Save as" to obj format it says View attachment 349041

And if I choose to "Export Texture" and trying to save it in any folder (even if I choose all of types) it says:View attachment 349042

I used your video from Youtube to Instal your program!

As it is writed, you can't export to obj right now because it is not available (not developped yet).

The best chances you got is to export to mdl and try to find something that convert mdl to obj.

About my personnal problem, it is fixed, probably because i updated my GPU drivers.

Level 5
Is there possibility to preview geosets?
Will be material editor added? Could be very useful. Is there any way to help uprgrade this tool?

Level 8
@Retera

So. There's no model editor that can automatically converting the customized reforged models to the chosen original classic model? Isn't there a way to have a program for the model to be automatically converted to a chosen original classic model from the customized reforged model when its detected the player is in classic mode?

Example: If I turn the auto converter on for my own model, then I get to choose a original classic mode on my customized reforged model, if I choose Human Transport Ship, to be a model for classic mode when its detected the player to be in classic mode, but if the player is in reforged mode, then the customized reforged model will stay on. Just like Blizzard models. How do they do that? We need that to be on this model editor.

But, there's no way to fix the classic model issue on a customized reforged model? I was told by few players that there's no way to have a auto converter for between classic and reforged modes on a customized model.

-------------------------

Update: Or, is there any way we can make the customized model to stay in texture pathing on both classic and reforged modes? Like the customized models from Classic WC3 that does appears in both Classic nd Reforged modes? I want to try export the texture pathing on reforged customized model to have it appears in both Classic and Reforged modes, but the problem is... the texture editing doesn't work in this model editor. It's unexportable due to the pop-ups keep saying "No file type was specified."

Last edited:
Level 3
Hey I have a question about the texture editor. I am trying to modify a texture but its not working. Any texture I import it just shows up as no image. Even as a test i exported a texture file as .blp, and tried to directly import it back into the model editor, without any editing, and it's not showing up for me, it just shows up as a blank. Any idea what i'm doing wrong?

Level 12
Hello there !

@Retera : It seems Retera Model Studio Reforged Hack v0.04.2020.03.03 refuses to load the Casc storage from the game since today's patch 1.32.3

I hope you can fix it, I realized I can't live without your software anymore :D

Hmm. I just opened the version that I have which is similar to v0.04.2020.03.03 but has a few small fixes on top, and it launches just fine on 1.32.3.
Can you send a screenshot of the particular type of error that you are getting? It can also be important which language you are loading, since that could have file data differences.

Level 12
It was working perfectly before battle.net launcher updated my game files earlier.

I tried to clear all folders but It just fails.

I use the US English version fyi.

Just one thing though : my game is installed in the folder "J:\Jeux\Warcraft III". But I have no idea is this can cause any issue.

first_error.jpg

after_adding_game_folder.jpg

Sorry for the bottom of the second screenshot, but my screen is only in 1080p and the error window has no sliders :)

Hope this helps finding out what is wrong.

EDIT : for the second error, I cleared the folders before using the "add game folder" button.
The error shows right after I click on OK after confirming the Warcraft II folder found by the program.
- I really need to go back to java sometime, I realize I forgot nearly everything about it !

Last edited:
Hmm. I just opened the version that I have which is similar to v0.04.2020.03.03 but has a few small fixes on top, and it launches just fine on 1.32.3.
Can you send a screenshot of the particular type of error that you are getting? It can also be important which language you are loading, since that could have file data differences.

You can help?

Level 1
This is amazing, I thought the war3 mod community was dead on this site but I guess it's still pretty early in the reforged release, cant wait to see what kind of tools we can use in the future.

One question though, what would be the best way to copy and paste certain items from one model to another. Like swords, helmets etc, the object editor doesnt rly seem to do anything so far... :p and editing vertixes is rly tedious. Does this program offer a better way?

Ah i found the scripts edit model components nevermind, but one more thing, how do you go back to setup window? I accidentally chose the actual warcraft install folder instead of my exported cascview folder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 12
Hello again.

@Retera : I don't know what I have changed since the other day, but resetting folders to default worked today.

I can use your wonderful software again. Yet I am sorry, As I don't have any idea what made it work today when it didn't the other day, in the end my posts will be completely useless in the end. I would like to apologize for this.

Keep the wonderful work !

Level 1
@Retera Thanks abunch, I found your channel and it helped abunch with learning how to swap models, now im making custom grunts like a pro! However I couldnt find an option to remove animations aside from just importing. Is there an animation editor or is that WIP?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
@Macadamia the second error was likely caused by the CASC local storage being modified while the application was running. It can only happen if a file index points towards a region of a data file that is beyond the end of file. For this to occur the index file that gets loaded only once during mounting did not consistently reflect the underlying data files.

If Warcraft III was being updated or compacted by the BattleNet application then this could be the case.

Level 12
@Dr Super Good : I have the feeling you found out what happened. I leave Retera's Model Studio opened for long periods of time, as I am learning modeling, it requires quite a lot of try and error.
I believe reforged got patched when the program was still running in the background.
Thanks, I hate when things behave beyond my comprehension :)

Level 1
Thanks so much for making this tool, managing to put together some cool armour mashups :)

Just wondering... does anyone know what the Level of Quality geosets are actually for? Can they be safely deleted or would that cause problems somewhere?

Level 1
Just wondering... does anyone know what the Level of Quality geosets are actually for? Can they be safely deleted or would that cause problems somewhere?

export the casc files to a separate folder and open them individually, saving them to that folder. I dont mess with the wc3 game files even tho it seams like you have to open them to use the program.

What I want to know is do the LOD geosets even matter? Do top down strategy games even use much LOD unless you zoom to ground? Should I be assigning these vertexes to binds or can I just ignore them when doing mashups?

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 12
What I want to know is do the LOD geosets even matter? Do top down strategy games even use much LOD unless you zoom to ground? Should I be assigning these vertexes to binds or can I just ignore them when doing mashups?

Don't take my words as wisdom as I am a real beginner in modelling, but It might be used in conjunction with mipmaps to preserve detail on zoom.

You will have to save it and test it in the world editor. The effects are a proprietary code that only the popcornfx.com website knows how to display. So, we will not have a model editor that can preview the effects unless we buy the license from Popcorn Fx like blizzard did to make Reforged. If you don't like that, go on their forums and ask popcorn for a copy of their code to put into Retera Model Studio or something. Actually, I didn't try asking them for that yet, maybe if we do they will give us the code. But they said that, you cannot make a red particle blue. It's like protected maps, you can't change Reforged particles. Blizzard added a way to tint Reforged particles so you could probably change a white particle to be blue, but you can't change a red particle to be blue, basically.

You can use the old style of effects. Those will preview. For example, if you open the HD blademaster, his "Attack Slam" uses the old style of effects, I believe, so it will preview in my tool.

You can change the texture file to a custom texture file of metal using `Tools -> Edit Textures`

I am working on a new view in the editor to look kind of like an object editor, but to edit anything in the model. Once that's done, if you click on a material you should be able to edit its ORM/Normal/Diffuse/Emissive textures by clicking to edit the respect paths or something like that.

This view is not finished and not ready for testing/release yet, just in an alpha design stage.

Does anybody have suggestions for it? I know Hayate has given me diagrams for good material editor ideas in the past, but if I'm not careful I might just end up making something that more directly edits the data of the model (so not promising what I make will look like those diagrams yet).

modelobjecteditor-png.351097

My goal for this view is
1.) that I don't have to use notepad anymore to edit MDL format
2.) that I have a place where I can point less skilled users towards to be able to change basic things like materials

Bugs that we will have:
1.)Materials list, Texture list, Global Sequence list, and Geoset Anim list are dynamically deleted and regenerated when saving a model in my tool, so if I offer the flat editor like this similar to what you might see in the views on Magos, it won't work the same because you might enter stuff like a new texture and it will just be deleted upon saving. Obviously I'll do my best to work around my previous design that causes this problem and try to make something that is still a friendly user experience, maybe with the option to turn off those dynamic calculations.

If not, then I just have to offer the option to "edit in a different way" where you could change the material by going through the Geoset that holds a reference to it, but that also introduces problem if you have many geosets referring to a single material.

Attachments

• ModelObjectEditor.png
    ModelObjectEditor.png
    129.8 KB · Views: 497
Last edited:
Level 3
Hello

Concerning Texture editing...

I tried to change the texture from a human hero.

To do it, I opened the Texture editor, then I exported all the pictures I needed to recolor. It has been exported as PNG files.
After recoloring it, I used 'Replace texture' in the texture editor and replaced the textures with the recolored ones.

It works fine in Retera Model Studio, but when I import it to Warcraft 3.... the recolored textures are blank, replaced with a livid white.

Am i Missing something ?

Level 8
Hello

Concerning Texture editing...

I tried to change the texture from a human hero.

To do it, I opened the Texture editor, then I exported all the pictures I needed to recolor. It has been exported as PNG files.
After recoloring it, I used 'Replace texture' in the texture editor and replaced the textures with the recolored ones.

It works fine in Retera Model Studio, but when I import it to Warcraft 3.... the recolored textures are blank, replaced with a livid white.

Am i Missing something ?
I have this same problem when editing the textures outside of model editor when I was editing the barrel.

upload_2020-3-31_16-48-41.png

Level 12
@Volsungh : I suppose you gave the textures their proper path in the Asset Manager. ave you tried using DDS format for textures ?

@Retera :The view you have shown and the ability to edit properties without needing to open MDLs in NotePad++ would simply be awesome.

I lost count of how many times I had to do this to simply change Bone names, edit timestamps in animations, or Material filter mode... Also, the script to edit/remove model components was really useful but not practical.

Level 48
The effects are a proprietary code that only the popcornfx.com website knows how to display. So, we will not have a model editor that can preview the effects unless we buy the license from Popcorn Fx like blizzard did to make Reforged. If you don't like that, go on their forums and ask popcorn for a copy of their code to put into Retera Model Studio or something. Actually, I didn't try asking them for that yet, maybe if we do they will give us the code. But they said that, you cannot make a red particle blue. It's like protected maps, you can't change Reforged particles. Blizzard added a way to tint Reforged particles so you could probably change a white particle to be blue, but you can't change a red particle to be blue, basically.

Wow. Fucking amazing. Another Reforged disappointment, jesus...

Level 8
@Retera How do you lock the effect in animation editor for Walk 2 to stay the same all the way in Footer tab? I am trying to make the Walk 2 animation to be firing a lot of fire by using a fire trap side effect when the zeppelin casted a ability "boost" to go faster, you know. Or, how do you add the effect to Walk 2 animation only?

upload_2020-4-9_2-11-36.png

upload_2020-4-9_2-12-22.png

@Retera How do you lock the effect in animation editor for Walk 2 to stay the same all the way in Footer tab? I am trying to make the Walk 2 animation to be firing a lot of fire by using a fire trap side effect when the zeppelin casted a ability "boost" to go faster, you know. Or, how do you add the effect to Walk 2 animation only?

View attachment 351977

View attachment 351978

The reforged eefects are the links to the popcorn emitter files that are stored in the game database. I edit them in mdl file.
THere is no way yet to edit them in retera studio.

Example:

PopcornFxEmitter "TD_WorkGlow01" {
ObjectId 28,
Visibility 10 {
DontInterp,
0: 0,
60000: 0,
60033: 0,
66700: 0,
66733: 1,
73400: 1,
73433: 0,
75467: 0,
75500: 0,
135500: 0,
}
SegmentColor {
Color { 0.5, 0.5, 1, 1 },
Color { 0.5, 0.5, 1, 0 },
},
Path "buildings/orc/orcbarracks/ob_workglow.pkb",
FlagString "Always=off, Stand Work=on, Portrait=off",
Rotation 10 {

The main controller is FlagString "Always=off, Stand Work=on, Portrait=off",

So, you need to add flag Walk=on
and set the time code for walk to 0 and walk 2 to 1 in Visibility

Level 12
Yes as @Tamplier777 just said, Retera is working on it.
For the moment we have to use MDL editing for such things.

As for Visibility it does what you would expect : show or hide an object at different time stamps, with or without an interpolation.

This can also be achieved with Alpha by altering the transparency.

Status
Not open for further replies.