• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Warcraft 2 campaign (reforged)

ShadiHD

Hosted Project: W3CSW
Level 31
cotsw-logo-png.362999

We aim to recreate the campaign of WarCraft II in Reforged, giving it fresh gameplay, custom assets and extended lore. The project was set in
motion for years before Reforged even came out, meaning that a solid foundation is set in place. This is a tremendous task which requires a lot of
skill, resources and time. Everything is put into motion and we have a solid "pool" of assets so far. We do appreciate your support and donations
to help us compensate our efforts and dedication in delivering a fresh experience of Blizzard's old game to the newer generation.

fade-seperator-png.362941

features-png.363000

bulletpoint-png.363004

Story will be heavy drawn from established lore in original games, World of Warcraft, Chronicles and other book series. While there
are some discrepancies when it comes to certain events and characters, we made sure to deliver a clean, straight and presentable
series of events that transpired in the second war.
bulletpoint-png.363004

Characters from the original early games will be featured in our campaign. Some will be cameos or appear in cinematics, while many
others will be playable, such as: Anduin Lothar, Turalyon, Kargath Bladefist, Grom Hellscream and many other legendary characters
from Warcraft lore who participated in the second war.
bulletpoint-png.363004

Gameplay will be greatly improved from the original game, meaning WarCraft III / Reforged style overhaul, which will include both
¨Tides of Darkness¨ and ¨Beyond the Dark Portal¨. The campaign will be story-linear driven unlike WarCraft II which depended
heavily on choosing a side and "determining the outcome of the story" as well as having cool cinematics and sidequests.
bulletpoint-png.363004

Custom Assets fitting both WarCraft II aesthetic as well as apearances from World of Warcraft will be used for units, heroes and
buildings. Meaning each Orcish Clan, Human Kingdom as well as other important faction such as Dwarves will feature many unique
models and skins. This also includes custom doodads to improve the terrain and scenery. These assets are made with attention to
their theme, for example Orcs will have Warlords of Draenor appearance, as well as the one seen in the WarCraft movie.
bulletpoint-png.363004

Techtree will of course be updated yet still keeping the feeling of to the original game. Units and heroes will have fitting abilities.
Additionally unique aspects of different factions will add a flair to the base techtree, while a completely new one will be made for
the Dwarves of Khaz Modan.
bulletpoint-png.363004

Voice Acting is important for immersion and will be featured for all characters and new Units. While our team has a mini-studio
that is suitable for a clean voice acting we are also looking for others with such setups who could contribute to the project.

media-png.363001

You can also follow our progress regarding models and other assets here:
WarCraft: Chronicles of the Second War | HIVE

team-png.363002

The project is helmed by me (ShadiHD) & Tamplier777 and the team's roles are as follows:

Tamplier777 - core plot writing, building and unit models, voice acting, animating, triggering, mapping, lore tweaking, project assembling

ShadiHD - team & project management, custom modelling and texturing, voice acting, mapping, lore tweaking, assembling

Moonman - RMS modelling and texturing (human units, characters, doodads), icons, presentation & video montage

Bagysta - RMS modelling and texturing (orc units, characters)

Triceron - RMS + custom modelling and texturing (characters, unique units)

antontama - melee multiplayer aspects of purist WC2 gameplay, icons, project marketing, community outreach

updates-png.363003

bulletpoint-png.363004

Teaser I and II released, showing basic units for Orcs and Humans as well as a brief overview on their lore.
bulletpointtbd-png.363018

Soon: Cinematic trailer (in game graphics)

Soon: Playable Beta of the first 4 missions for Orc's campaign (scripted and with voice over)

Looking for voice actors with high quality microphone setups.
American, British and Scotisch/Irish accents for Humans and Dwarves, but other as well (see picture below).

Untitled-1.png

Last edited:
Level 23
The trailer looks great. I am not sure though why it is important to have the different factions have different variations of units. I mean, wouldn't it just be easier to have heroes represent the factions? It sounds like a huge amount of work to have variations for the different kingdoms (and clans?) even though unless the campaign is 20 missions + long, we might not even see that much of every kingdom.

The trailer looks great. I am not sure though why it is important to have the different factions have different variations of units. I mean, wouldn't it just be easier to have heroes represent the factions? It sounds like a huge amount of work to have variations for the different kingdoms (and clans?) even though unless the campaign is 20 missions + long, we might not even see that much of every kingdom.
My father always said:
¨We don't tread on easy paths!¨

It will not only make the campaign feel more interesting, it is also quite a bit of fun exploring the lore/aesthetics of each faction and making said units!

ShadiHD

Level 31

Tides of Darkness has 30 missions, humans & orcs combined.
beyond the dark portal has 24 missions for both combined..

we aim to be unique ^_^ lazy simple skins are not what our project is

Level 23
It will not only make the campaign feel more interesting, it is also quite a bit of fun exploring the lore/aesthetics of each faction and making said units!
I am happy to hear about each faction being unique, just was concerned it might make the project harder to complete.

Tides of Darkness has 30 missions, humans & orcs combined.
beyond the dark portal has 24 missions for both combined..
Well, 54 missions is quite a high goal.

Just out of curiosity, is your team going to finish all the models first, and then work on the campaign itself? I mean, there are a number of lessons that can be learned from previous large projects that focused on assets before trying to make the campaign. It is possible that if you and your team were to make 1 mission before finishing all the assets, it might change your mind about making a Fifty-Four mission long campaign.

I do not mean to come across as telling you guys what to do though. Just an observation on previous large scale projects on hive. Wish you guys luck.

ShadiHD

Level 31
I am happy to hear about each faction being unique, just was concerned it might make the project harder to complete.

Well, 54 missions is quite a high goal.

Just out of curiosity, is your team going to finish all the models first, and then work on the campaign itself? I mean, there are a number of lessons that can be learned from previous large projects that focused on assets before trying to make the campaign. It is possible that if you and your team were to make 1 mission before finishing all the assets, it might change your mind about making a Fifty-Four mission long campaign.

I do not mean to come across as telling you guys what to do though. Just an observation on previous large scale projects on hive.

the core project was @Tamplier777 he spent 10 years of his life building it and "upgrading it" as years went by, so you can mostly say that almost 70% of the campaign, the layout and the quests are there, me and the rest of the team tagged along and helped him achieve his goal, by providing him custom models, helping with lore, tweaking and and provide voice acting, so mostly everything's covered, we're just taking our sweet time polishing a couple of stuff, and our current plan is to release the first 4 missions of the Orc campaign for Hive members to test, so they can familiarize themselves with out project and to see what to except from us!

Level 23
the core project was @Tamplier777 he spent 10 years of his life building it and "upgrading it" as years went by, so you can mostly say that almost 70% of the campaign, the layout and the quests are there, me and the rest of the team tagged along and helped him achieve his goal, by providing him custom models, helping with lore, tweaking and and provide voice acting, so mostly everything's covered, we're just taking our sweet time polishing a couple of stuff, and our current plan is to release the first 4 missions of the Orc campaign for Hive members to test, so they can familiarize themselves with out project and to see what to except from us!
Oh, wow. I had no idea so much of it was completed already. Alright, I am fully convinced this will be one of the biggest custom campaigns hiveworkshop has ever seen. Thank you and the whole team for so much hard work, even during this pandemic.

ShadiHD

Level 31
Oh, wow. I had no idea so much of it was completed already. Alright, I am fully convinced this will be one of the biggest custom campaigns hiveworkshop has ever seen. Thank you and the whole team for so much hard work, even during this pandemic.

I hope we'll not disappoint! we're eager more than anyone of presenting something good for this community

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Incredible trailer. I was introduced to Warcraft via #2, and this really brings me back. While I think the models look great (for Reforged), I'm mostly jazzing out about the voice-acting. I mean, there was definitely still an accent, but @ShadiHD you really nailed that resonant bass of the OG Warcraft campaign cinematics & I'm lovin' it. : )

~~~

I have witnessed & archived the rise & fall of many great projects before, and I can mirror Tulee's testament: the greatest sin was hubris. Taking on more Project than can reasonably be done, biting off more than one can chew. In particular, setting out to completely remake all the visuals (models, icons, textures, SFX, UIs, etc) was a big warning sign.

I don't say that to sound like a Pessimist, nor to turn you from your Goal. Moreover, I'm quite pleased to hear that much of the actual work on the "playable" bit has already been done (though we've yet to see it), as that is truly the most important part (It is a truism that one can always add in the graphics later... But all the custom resources in the world don't make a playable, finished product). I do honestly express Hope & Optimism that you are successful in your goal.

Level 8
I wish you the best of luck, at least they will make Reforge less abhorrent to many people (which is ENOUGH), every time I think about it more, but I get excited... but then I get depression, because I know I don't own Reforge for certain... "Reasons"

ShadiHD

Level 31
Incredible trailer. I was introduced to Warcraft via #2, and this really brings me back. While I think the models look great (for Reforged), I'm mostly jazzing out about the voice-acting. I mean, there was definitely still an accent, but @ShadiHD you really nailed that resonant bass of the OG Warcraft campaign cinematics & I'm lovin' it. : )

~~~

I have witnessed & archived the rise & fall of many great projects before, and I can mirror Tulee's testament: the greatest sin was hubris. Taking on more Project than can reasonably be done, biting off more than one can chew. In particular, setting out to completely remake all the visuals (models, icons, textures, SFX, UIs, etc) was a big warning sign.

I don't say that to sound like a Pessimist, nor to turn you from your Goal. Moreover, I'm quite pleased to hear that much of the actual work on the "playable" bit has already been done (though we've yet to see it), as that is truly the most important part (It is a truism that one can always add in the graphics later... But all the custom resources in the world don't make a playable, finished product). I do honestly express Hope & Optimism that you are successful in your goal.

I'm glad you liked the voice acting, yes of course you'll see the accent, but I think it's an added flavor hahaha, I was happy to realize that I share a similar voice to the original narrator, and I'll voice a lot of characters and units alongside the rest of the team..

as for the scope of the project, you're right, a lot of people fall under the heel of their hubris and ambitions, but luck is in our side, most of the work is laid out, models and storywise, we have a plan, we have an outline and we know exactly the road and the expected time to finish, so keep your eyes and ears on alert!

This project seems to be full of lofty ambitions, but I very much hope you are able to pull it off! The assets shown in the trailer are a great hook and I'm very eager to see more. I've seen the other resources uploaded by the artists contributing to this project and I'm really delightfully surprised with the quality that I've seen. I don't doubt that you will be able to maintain the same standard as you progress through this project! I want to echo the sentiments of others in this thread and encourage you to prioritize the features that will present a playable experience over the smaller supplementary features that only add a superficial level of polish. Regardless of what you are or are not able to accomplish, I hope your team gets a lot of enjoyment from working on it and I hope you keep us in the loop as you get more done!

Level 48
This is rather exciting. Everything shown so far looks fantastic! Honestly, even if the project never sees the light of day, all of those Reforged assets provided by the team to the community already suffice to put a smile on my face. I'm a sucker for faction-specific variations on basic units. :)

I wish you the best of luck and am looking forward to seeing more of this kick-ass project!

Level 8
Sounds super cool. I really enjoyed the video (which was what alerted me to the project). Do you plan on sharing the custom models and stuff for others to use? Making a map with the different kingdoms models sounds awesome fun.

Level 18
I really loved the video presentation, and I can't wait for the Orcish ones.

Warcraft 2 is my first video game and I'm really eager to play a campaign with the Warcraft 3 standards, with the Reforged graphics (and the amazing graphic work you seem to be doing).

I remember a vibrant cast of characters and many different factions and I can only imagine how awesome it is to re-invent the Warcraft 2 campaigns with the current tools (and years of gaming experience).

Keep up the good work, I'm freaking eager to the rest of your work.

GG, GL HF!

Level 8
I really loved the video presentation, and I can't wait for the Orcish ones.

I hadn't really thought about this (because orcs suck!), but as many WoW expansions have shown us from Burning Crusade to Warlords of Draenor, there is actually a lot of aesthetic range for the orcs depending on their clans, magic, armour, etc.

Honestly, something I've always thought would be good is some variety among grunts. I don't know if it can be done using the WC3 engine, but unlike the human footman counterpart, the orcs are more rag-tag and so should come out with various helmets, no helmet, axes, swords, maces, shields, etc. (Only being different visually, still having all the same stats, and still being recognizably grunts.)

However, that's probably more work than it is worth. Especially for this project. It would be cool enough just to see different models for different clans in certain cases.

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 32
Honestly, something I've always thought would be good is some variety among grunts. I don't know if it can be done using the WC3 engine, but unlike the human footman counterpart, the orcs are more rag-tag and so should come out with various helmets, no helmet, axes, swords, maces, shields, etc. (Only being different visually, still having all the same stats, and still being recognizably grunts.)

However, that's probably more work than it is worth. Especially for this project. It would be cool enough just to see different models for different clans in certain cases.

check out the various Orc Grunts here:

Skins | HIVE
Models | HIVE

Level 8
What's the difference between models and skins?

At first I thought you forgot to link, but then I realised those model/skin links were not in your signature. However, are you just telling me to search for orc skins/models?

Level 18
It could be done way easier within Reforged using the "skin" feature.

You could have like 4 different grunt skins and give trained grunts a random one on spawn.

But yeah, it sounds like a lot of work for no other benefits than visuals.

Level 8
It could be done way easier within Reforged using the "skin" feature.

You could have like 4 different grunt skins and give trained grunts a random one on spawn.

But yeah, it sounds like a lot of work for no other benefits than visuals.

Yeah, I think that's what I meant, but I am not sure if I understand the difference between skins and models. However, I have seen this done in other games such as Dawn of War 1 with Imperial Guardsmen squads.

Level 18
I meant "skin" as the new Reforged feature, not "skin" as texture recoloring.

"Custom skins" (downloadable here) are just a modification of the texture applied to a model.

"Custom models" is a custom 3D models with or without custom textures (skin).

"Reforged Skin" is the ability (in the Editor) to switch a unit cosmetics (icon, sound, model etc.) for another one while preserving the previous unit gameplay data.

These "Reforged Skins" could be used to have a grunt army which is similar in terms of gameplay but have several model variations.

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 32
also will there be some extra interludes? like Alleria begging Anasterian to help the Alliance of Lordaeron, the Alteraci Pirates kidnapping Uther, and the Alliance of Lordaeron holding Aiden Perenolde on trial?

What's the difference between models and skins?

At first I thought you forgot to link, but then I realised those model/skin links were not in your signature. However, are you just telling me to search for orc skins/models?

I apologize, here's more direct links of cool Orcish custom models from different people

High Overlord Varok Saurfang
Mok'nathal chaman
Mok'Nathal Warrior (3 variations)
Shattered Hand grunt
Kargath Bladefist
Laughing Skull Grunt
Mogor
Warsong grunt
Shadowmoon Grunt
Ner'zhul reforged (green and mag'har skin)
Dragonmaw Grunt
Thunderlord Grunt
Frostwolf grunt
Bonechewer Grunt
Twilight Hammer Grunt
Blackrock Grunt (reforged)
Blackrock peon (reforged)
Blackrock Warlock (reforged)
Warchief Orgrim Doomhammer (reforged)
Ogrim Doomhammer Young Reforged
Kilrogg Deadeye (Reforged)
Orc Spearthrowers Pack Reforged
Orc Clan Banners Reforged
Orc Weapon Rack
Orc Blacksmith Reforged
Reforged Second War Orc Deathknight
WC2 Altar of Storms Reforged
Orc Temple of the Damned Reforged
Troll Lumber Mill Reforged
Ogre Mound and Derivatives Reforged
Spiked Barricade Reforged

Level 8
Do you guys need/want help?

I'm terrible as an original creator when it comes to maps (though I think I am a decent writer), but I am good at editing, proofing, testing, brainstorming, etc. This is an awesome looking project and I'd love to help if I can.