1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Campaign] Warcraft 2: The remake

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by LordPerenoldeII, Apr 9, 2017.

1. JCarrill0

JCarrill0

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    *awaits patiently*

I also have played these: (Perhaps they can be useful)
    Warcraft II: Human Campaign
    Submitted by Stormshock

Warcraft II: Orc Campaign
    Submitted by Helldoom

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  2. LordPerenoldeII

LordPerenoldeII

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I played them too. Stormshock has helped me in terraining half of the whole project, including the human TOD campaign. Helldoom project, commendable effort apart, is rather poor in details and buggy scripts here and there. btw the link is ready. Putting it now in the last post.
    EDIT:
    more notes:
    Map 5, 6 and 7 are partially bugged building/training-wise due to the oil system not correctly working.
    Blacksmith upgrade icons are brand-new, can't explain why atm, but i'm planning to take back to their original look.
    Enjoy and once again help me out to solve that oil bug riddle, if you ever can.

P.S. HOPEFULLY IT SHOULD LOAD OK WITH THE LATEST GAME VERSIONS. SWITCH TO 1.28f IF UNABLE TO, OR SHOULD SOME MAP CRASH.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  3. MissTellTalle

MissTellTalle

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's very cool, don't give up!

4. JCarrill0

JCarrill0

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I enjoyed the demo, It's a lot brighter intro then the previous one, but the sound quality was lower plus had all the background sounds that didn't seem to fit in the intro.

PS- old wc2 unit sounds in the future I hope?

5. ZeroByte

ZeroByte

Resources:
    Resources:
    I've tried the demo, first level was smooth but the second one crashed.
    All I did was
    1. Trained peasants and build 1 farm
    2. Killed both orc ships and moved my destroyers back and forth a bit.
    That was it.

Also I've a question about vision range - I find it to be too short.
    I know it's how it is in WC2 but for me increasing vision range would be a "quality of life" change.
    It just feels a bit unnatural that soldiers cannot see more than 4 meters ahead. And I'm sure that increased range would not raised a single complaint. :)

6. ZeroByte

ZeroByte

Resources:
    Resources:
    Regarding the oil issue... I know I would be blamed as a heretic but... I'd say "screw oil".
    Yes, now burn me in sacred fire. :)

Oil was needed to build ships and a few upgrades, and that's it. Yes, it added a new layer in WC2 'cause you had to control the seas.
    But I, personally, always disliked this new resource mechanics and would be just as happy if there was no oil and ships required, say, more of lumber.
    And to be honest, oil never reappeared in WC games... hell, even the ships themselves didn't look like they needed oil!
    So if it was me rebuilding the WC2 campaigns and I had such issues, I'd just omit it from the game.
    No need for custom UI showing your oil. No need to fix path issues.
    But that's just my 5 cents. :)

7. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think that later maps has oil problems since more factions use the oil system. I didn't delve much into it, but that is likely a problem, for example, the oil you gather (and spend) is from player 12, despite you being player 2.

8. LordPerenoldeII

LordPerenoldeII

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I don't think there will be anym. First because it would sky-rocket the whole file size and second because there are no fitting sounds for attack. I might work it with expansion hero units though.
    I don't understand what you mean with the sound quality. The sounds were just the same i used for the wc1 remake.

You mean oil is technically gathered for p12 only? That would explain why units can't be made since oil is going exclusively to tthat player. How did you came up with this

9. JCarrill0

JCarrill0

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The sound in the intro for wc2, was lower then the one from Helldoom

10. LordPerenoldeII

LordPerenoldeII

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Mmmm... probably because i changed it from sound to music, as the bgm was interlapping with it in helldoom's. I'm gonna add a 100% channel boost trigger to make it louder. Thanks for the feedback.

11. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I displayed the player number when the resource is delivered.

12. LordPerenoldeII

LordPerenoldeII

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Then it must be a conflict of versions.

It's fine. If i could set the max unit selection limit to 9 i'd do it, but i can't. :)

Without oil wc2 wouldn't play as the same. The naval dynamics and mechanics would look kinda flat and less "alive". Unfortunately is something that, one way or another, has to be done. Should i create a PvP content in the future, i will omit said system. That's for sure.

13. Sophels

Sophels

Resources:
    Resources:
    I really hope this gets finished.
    I am obsessed with wc2, I played through all 4 campaigns over 15 times within the last year.

Idk much about World Editor stuff (or anything, really) but
    If what Mechanical said is true, and the problem is that multiple players use the same source for the ressources, which breaks the game if theres more than 2 factions on the map using oil, then there is two things I was wondering:
    1. you could, as a bandaid, merge all multiple enemy factions on certain maps. Youd probably need to tweak the AI tho, to reduce interaction between the bases maybe, Idk, to prevent changes in strategic behaviour of the AI if one base is under attack or something.
    2. A more elegant solution would be to just remove oil for the AI altogether, and automatically let all oil gathered be put onto the players stash. As a player, counting or estimating the enemies oil isnt really necessary in campaign wc2, especially not in ToD, cause the base game is so easy anyway, so it would barely change the subjective experience youre trying to recreate. Of course, to keep appeareances up, youd need to still have the AI gather Oil, and you probably need to come up with a way for them to use up oil patches without the oil going anywhere. Maybe you could make a second oilpatchbuildingthing for the AI, that looks like it would for players, but it doesnt actually allow gathering, instead, you calculate the amount of Oil gathered by the AI in Wc2 per minute per level per amount of oilships assigned to a patch and that building removes said amount from the patch in 100ersteps multiple times per minute. Then youd only need to have their oilships on patrol between the patch and the port, purely for appeareances, or you could combine the last two things maybe.
    Idk if what I suggested is even doable in the editor, but if you think about it, to create the wc2 ToD experience, you NEED oil only for the player, as long as you can somehow still make sure that a) it LOOKS like the enemy is gathering, and b) that they still build roughly the same amount of ships per timeframe as they did in ToD.

That being said, I am completely untalented when it comes to technical stuff, so I am probably just wasting your time, sorry about that.

14. Anglo Warior

Anglo Warior

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't think the lack of an oil system would make too much of a difference. I'd just treat oil as gold. Yes it changes the gameplay slightly but such things are acceptable when such mechanics are missing. Not to mention that I've tried to do an oil system before and it was a b!%*# to get it even half working.

15. JCarrill0

JCarrill0

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @LordPerenoldeII,
    Would you consider making a Melee map of your WC2 remake?

I’d love to see a Garden of Warcraft made by you.

16. LordPerenoldeII

LordPerenoldeII

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I will, but at the end of the project, when all subfactions will be ready and done. As i said, i will omit the oil system for that one, so it should play more wc3-like.
    Thank you for your feedback guys, i will see what i can do. Thanks to you i have a few new ideas to try. Tomorrow i'm flying over to italy for the weekend so i'll be back to work on monday. Have a good time everyone.

17. JCarrill0

JCarrill0

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Awesome! Can't wait.

18. Venkolm

Venkolm

Resources:
    Resources:
    What, why :D

19. Sophels

Sophels

Resources:
    Resources:
    uhh, probably because I am an addict. I tend to play things Ive already played, cause it doesnt require thinking.

it actually didnt take a year, it was a timeframe of like 2 months last fall/early winter. I basically didnt do anything else for a while, except playing that game 10-14 hours a day.
    after the 4th or fifth playthrough, I started adding conditions. Ie not using air, or not building more than x workers, or just playing through it while trying to maximize the spare ressources I have at the end of every level and whatever else I came up with. It was nice, but my memory of that time, or any other time in the last few years, is spotty at best.

20. Venkolm

Venkolm

Resources:
    Resources:
    Just move on, or/and try out new campaigns'games. Or at least, this is the kind of person i am.