1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Campaign] Warcraft 2: The remake

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by LordPerenoldeII, Apr 9, 2017.

1. LordPerenoldeII

LordPerenoldeII

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    UPDATE:
    With nobody able to solve the riddle of the Oil System glitch, i had to redesign it:
    - Tankers will now bring +300 wood with each oil cargo(platforms amount will still be reduced of 100 units per cargo). Therefore, everything requiring oil has now its wood cost tripled plus its original wood amount.
    - Oil requirements for land buildings are disabled.
    - Oil Refineries still work as auxiliary drop-off point for gathered oil but do not increase oil(wood) harvest income. Lumber Mills increased wood production won't affect the one received from Tankers.
    - Sea buildings are disabled in maps without Oil patches.
    - Maps 3 and 4 will keep the original system on(it still works there).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  2. MissTellTalle

MissTellTalle

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's better than nothing.

3. JCarrill0

JCarrill0

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    couldn't you TRADE Lumber/gold for Oil? rather then change the price?

another idea is to gradually gain oil.

4. LordPerenoldeII

LordPerenoldeII

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    As i said, the system works flawlessly until it checks oil requirements for units or structure. Even if it reads any higher number than zero it won't allow their building. The unexplained anomaly comes between map 4 and 5, where the triggers are completely copied and pasted, but won't work on the latter map.

5. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Maddening.

6. LordPerenoldeII

LordPerenoldeII

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Excuse me?

7. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    It's maddening, the inexplicable failure of the Oil system in the later maps, while still working in the earlier maps.

8. Sophels

Sophels

Resources:
    Resources:
    When will it be playable?

9. LordPerenoldeII

LordPerenoldeII

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That's a question i can't answer right now.

10. Stwiki

Stwiki

Resources:
    Resources:
    Any update on when this remaster going to be done?

11. deadmaniac

deadmaniac

Resources:
    Resources:
    good to know that you are still working on it!

how is development going?

12. LordPerenoldeII

LordPerenoldeII

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I managed to do THREE maps during the christmas week! But, as unbelievable as it may seems, i did zero progress in the past two months. Now i'm trying to get on to it, but it's difficult. At present i'm past TODhumans map10. I'm not too scared of Reforged though. There are thousands of custom material(between skins, models, spells, etc) around the web that wouldn't fit for it, so i think people will still look over to play custom maps on the old engine.

13. Anaxie

Anaxie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @LordPerenoldeII

So human ToD should be around come summer time at the least

I presume this will not include any hard mode until all the template campaigns are out and polished?

It might be in best interest to breK up bodp and tod into segnents and make one feature complete before moving on to the expansion.

But thats just my opinion what would fit best as a release flow

For such a large scale project.

Thats pretty much the route malfurions quest inevitably took.

With the constant patching whats most important for me atleast is

Warcraft 1 remake staying functional
    -
    ToD
    -
    ToD features
    -
    BtDP
    -
    BtDP features

That order

And thats asking a lot for one persons free time

And by features i mean like what you did with wc1. However i think the addition of bonus missions for HM like your WC1 should be bottom priority until a point all 4 campaigns are released.

You hard mode is the primary reason i play wc1.

As for wc2 which is still very much playable on latest win10 for me. Hard mode is the only thing that would make it worth while over playing the original game that doesnt suffer from the same drawbacks that make wc1 original game a chore to play.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  14. LordPerenoldeII

LordPerenoldeII

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    First of all thank you for this reply. I firstly thought it was going to be the usual pushy harassment-like one, but i see who you are and you are one of my biggest fan.
    Coming around summer? yyyyyyeah...hopefully way way before. Four maps seems easy deal on a first glimpse. Each map unlocks something new i have to program into the campaign editor system, but once i get the upper hand on it, it will be easier to apply for the upcoming maps, as for the Orc Campaign, which should then be like sliding downhill script-wise(not to mention stats, spells, researches and upgrades, all already compiled).

I've made up my mind and i shall do like this:
    I'm gonna finish Humans ToD first, no Enhanced Mode(i'd better call it that way) yet, see if it works objective-wise and i shall release it. THEN, while i'll work on the Orc one, players please have the courtesy of reporting any bugs or misplacements(icons, tooltips, objectives, etc. anything that looks out of place or malfunctioning) so that i may fix them on the go.
    After Orc ToD will be completed, BTDP will begin. BTDP was my main objective in the first place, so it should get more consideration(i seriously don't like ToD).
    Your opinion matters.

This isn't the first time that i hear about this malfurions quest. I wonder what that is.

So, you'd like to have ToD features first before BTDP? That wouldn't be a bad idea, in fact.

<sigh> You guess that, don't you?

Ok, so you propose bonus maps AFTER everything is done but.....Enhanced mode first before BTDP or after??

I never thought anyone would say that. I truly appreciate.

Enhanced mode will be something like that but different. Not harder, not easier, just....different. And it won't be as i'm planning it to be in BTDP. I have a pretty cool plan for BTDP's.

15. Anaxie

Anaxie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @LordPerenoldeII

Yeah enhanced mode before bonus maps have to be built from scratch if you choose to do them would be preferable.

Wc2 in wc3 is a draw but thats not what makes your wc1 campaign good. Its the new elements and bonus objective rewards that carry that make it a fresh but familiar experience.

Whatever additions you have in mind for wc2 ToD id like you to share. And im sure btdp will differ greatly from that. Im thinking you are going to incoporate hero play to some extent. Correct me if im wrong

I mean if you nail the AI in the default template and its not an absolute snore fest to complete. Then go ahead and do all 4 before enhancing them.

Since it seems like your passion alings more with the second half of this project. That may be the best route to keep motivated so war3 sees BtDP come to life in completion for the first time.. well ever

Id be more than happy to play this over war2 bnet edition just for the larger screenspace and 3d combat.

Its pretty much going to be based on nailing the enemy AI and static tower and enemy placements with a map size and range that doesnt break thing flow of the mission on a mission by mission basis thats comprable with the source material.

--- Do you have any ideas for gryphons and dragons friendly fire mechanica as presented in the original so they dont turn into a nightmare with this campaign considering flying units arent grid based like wc2. just axing that feature entirely like a few features that were axed during your wc1. Namely the road system. Yuck

This also sadly presents a situatin where massing air the second they are avail is vastly surperior to all options which wouldnt always be the case in the original war2.

They might need to be nerfed a slight bit on the damage because of this.

Otherwise towers and such will dissappear the second the blob of fliers gets into range.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  16. LordPerenoldeII

LordPerenoldeII

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Firstly, no offence, but i struggle a bit in understanding what you're saying.
    "Yeah enhanced mode before bonus maps have to be built from scratch if you choose to do them would be preferable."
    So, you'd like to see bonus maps PRIOR to BTDP or after everything has been done?
    "Wc2 in wc3 is a draw" what's this?

It was my initial idea to allow an option for the player 1 out of 4 nations to choose at the start of the campaign. Each with its tuned stats of attack/defense/magic(look at their panels here [Campaign] - Warcraft 2: The remake) which give an approximate preview of their general way of techtree dynamic and combat deployment. The idea was "transformed" as it proved to be something waaay big for me to accomplish alone. Instead, by choosing "Enhanced mode" the player will control one of each nations in a rotating fashion(for example "Khaz Modan" Act will let you play as Stromgarde, "Northlands" as Lordaeron and so on). Each nation has its slightly modified techtree, some unique abilities and upgrade/research variations as well.
    The panels about Alterac and Gilneas have their reason to be in display, with their stats displayed only as question marks. Why? See you at the bonus maps!

AI only has to be adjusted in each map because of the waypoints it has to take to move troops around the map for attacks.

I'd be happy too. Besides, the main reason why i remade wc1 was because I wanted to play it myself.

I don't really get what you're saying here. What is it?

I think there will be friendly fire from them. They would just be OP otherwise.
    EDIT: oh you mean between themselves. lol i remember when they happened to square up around a target and blasting each other if too close. I think that mechanic won't apply here because of the 3d aspect.

I might just create a trigger for AI to spam missile units when this happens or balance air units to be more fragile like wc3. Theories. We'll see. I don't think it will be a problem, as Gryphons/Dragons are 2500 gold worthy.

Maybe yes, maybe not. I still have to get there. Will see about it when i do.

17. Blazethesage

Blazethesage

Resources:
    Resources:
    Warcraft 2 was my first ever Warcraft game, and I love it dearly to this day, so I will be a very happy man the day this finishes!

18. Anaxie

Anaxie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @LordPerenoldeII

I think features would be neat before moving onto btdp

Bonus maps for tod and btdp AFTER btdp and tod are both done and have their enhanced features.

I also made another suggestion since your preference and main inspiration is the BTDP portion to Finish the base aka non enhanced features for tod and btdp campaigns if you feel btdp would make you more eager to work on it more frequently.

Then do enhanced for all 4. Then work on any bonus editions aka maps.

You did say btdp is what you wanted to do tod was just a hurdle you had to get past first yes?

As for wc2 in wc3 draw. It means

The desire to play your wc2 campaign in wc3. The enhanced features create a desire to play it. Because wc2 bnet edition plays just as fine today as it did 20 years ago.

~For AI i just mean that the map isnt broken and the enemy does nothing

~ the nations rotating based on acts sounds neat. Guessing quite a few kul tiras maps then?

~ exactly so since gyphs and dragons wont hurt themselves and can mass up without a grid which would usually be 9ish. Their tuning may need to be considered heavily. Or else you can just mass them up and swarm the map woth 30+ of them. Would be fun but balance breaking for every single late game map.

You nailed tuning on wc1 well enough im not at all worried about your work being just as magnificent in wc2 tuning and design

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  19. LordPerenoldeII

LordPerenoldeII

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So far this is looking great.

20. Lazarator

Lazarator

Resources:
    Resources:
    I always admired WC2 events and I love the storyline, the way how war raged between humans and orcs, the strategy of game, the characters... I'm happy there are people working on improving the old campaigns, such as this one, back together. Good luck with this, @LordPerenoldeII !!