• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Warcraft 2: The remake

Level 20
UPDATE:
With nobody able to solve the riddle of the Oil System glitch, i had to redesign it:
- Tankers will now bring +300 wood with each oil cargo(platforms amount will still be reduced of 100 units per cargo). Therefore, everything requiring oil has now its wood cost tripled plus its original wood amount.
- Oil requirements for land buildings are disabled.
- Oil Refineries still work as auxiliary drop-off point for gathered oil but do not increase oil(wood) harvest income. Lumber Mills increased wood production won't affect the one received from Tankers.
- Sea buildings are disabled in maps without Oil patches.
- Maps 3 and 4 will keep the original system on(it still works there).

Last edited:
Level 20
couldn't you TRADE Lumber/gold for Oil? rather then change the price?

another idea is to gradually gain oil.
As i said, the system works flawlessly until it checks oil requirements for units or structure. Even if it reads any higher number than zero it won't allow their building. The unexplained anomaly comes between map 4 and 5, where the triggers are completely copied and pasted, but won't work on the latter map.

Level 20
Any update on when this remaster going to be done?
good to know that you are still working on it!

how is development going?
I managed to do THREE maps during the christmas week! But, as unbelievable as it may seems, i did zero progress in the past two months. Now i'm trying to get on to it, but it's difficult. At present i'm past TODhumans map10. I'm not too scared of Reforged though. There are thousands of custom material(between skins, models, spells, etc) around the web that wouldn't fit for it, so i think people will still look over to play custom maps on the old engine.

Level 14
@LordPerenoldeII

So human ToD should be around come summer time at the least

I presume this will not include any hard mode until all the template campaigns are out and polished?

It might be in best interest to breK up bodp and tod into segnents and make one feature complete before moving on to the expansion.

But thats just my opinion what would fit best as a release flow

For such a large scale project.

Thats pretty much the route malfurions quest inevitably took.

With the constant patching whats most important for me atleast is

Warcraft 1 remake staying functional
-
ToD
-
ToD features
-
BtDP
-
BtDP features

That order

And thats asking a lot for one persons free time

And by features i mean like what you did with wc1. However i think the addition of bonus missions for HM like your WC1 should be bottom priority until a point all 4 campaigns are released.

You hard mode is the primary reason i play wc1.

As for wc2 which is still very much playable on latest win10 for me. Hard mode is the only thing that would make it worth while over playing the original game that doesnt suffer from the same drawbacks that make wc1 original game a chore to play.

Last edited:
Level 20
@LordPerenoldeII

So human ToD should be around come summer time at the least
First of all thank you for this reply. I firstly thought it was going to be the usual pushy harassment-like one, but i see who you are and you are one of my biggest fan.
Coming around summer? yyyyyyeah...hopefully way way before. Four maps seems easy deal on a first glimpse. Each map unlocks something new i have to program into the campaign editor system, but once i get the upper hand on it, it will be easier to apply for the upcoming maps, as for the Orc Campaign, which should then be like sliding downhill script-wise(not to mention stats, spells, researches and upgrades, all already compiled).

@LordPerenoldeII
I presume this will not include any hard mode until all the template campaigns are out and polished?
It might be in best interest to breK up bodp and tod into segnents and make one feature complete before moving on to the expansion.
But thats just my opinion what would fit best as a release flow
For such a large scale project.
I've made up my mind and i shall do like this:
I'm gonna finish Humans ToD first, no Enhanced Mode(i'd better call it that way) yet, see if it works objective-wise and i shall release it. THEN, while i'll work on the Orc one, players please have the courtesy of reporting any bugs or misplacements(icons, tooltips, objectives, etc. anything that looks out of place or malfunctioning) so that i may fix them on the go.
After Orc ToD will be completed, BTDP will begin. BTDP was my main objective in the first place, so it should get more consideration(i seriously don't like ToD).
Your opinion matters.

@LordPerenoldeII
Thats pretty much the route malfurions quest inevitably took.
This isn't the first time that i hear about this malfurions quest. I wonder what that is.

@LordPerenoldeII
With the constant patching whats most important for me atleast is
Warcraft 1 remake staying functional
-
ToD
-
ToD features
-
BtDP
-
BtDP features
That order
So, you'd like to have ToD features first before BTDP? That wouldn't be a bad idea, in fact.

@LordPerenoldeII
And thats asking a lot for one persons free time
<sigh> You guess that, don't you?

@LordPerenoldeII
And by features i mean like what you did with wc1. However i think the addition of bonus missions for HM like your WC1 should be bottom priority until a point all 4 campaigns are released.
Ok, so you propose bonus maps AFTER everything is done but.....Enhanced mode first before BTDP or after??

@LordPerenoldeII
You hard mode is the primary reason i play wc1.
I never thought anyone would say that. I truly appreciate.

@LordPerenoldeII
As for wc2 which is still very much playable on latest win10 for me. Hard mode is the only thing that would make it worth while over playing the original game that doesnt suffer from the same drawbacks that make wc1 original game a chore to play.
Enhanced mode will be something like that but different. Not harder, not easier, just....different. And it won't be as i'm planning it to be in BTDP. I have a pretty cool plan for BTDP's.

Level 14
@LordPerenoldeII

Yeah enhanced mode before bonus maps have to be built from scratch if you choose to do them would be preferable.

Wc2 in wc3 is a draw but thats not what makes your wc1 campaign good. Its the new elements and bonus objective rewards that carry that make it a fresh but familiar experience.

Whatever additions you have in mind for wc2 ToD id like you to share. And im sure btdp will differ greatly from that. Im thinking you are going to incoporate hero play to some extent. Correct me if im wrong

I mean if you nail the AI in the default template and its not an absolute snore fest to complete. Then go ahead and do all 4 before enhancing them.

Since it seems like your passion alings more with the second half of this project. That may be the best route to keep motivated so war3 sees BtDP come to life in completion for the first time.. well ever

Id be more than happy to play this over war2 bnet edition just for the larger screenspace and 3d combat.

Its pretty much going to be based on nailing the enemy AI and static tower and enemy placements with a map size and range that doesnt break thing flow of the mission on a mission by mission basis thats comprable with the source material.

--- Do you have any ideas for gryphons and dragons friendly fire mechanica as presented in the original so they dont turn into a nightmare with this campaign considering flying units arent grid based like wc2. just axing that feature entirely like a few features that were axed during your wc1. Namely the road system. Yuck

This also sadly presents a situatin where massing air the second they are avail is vastly surperior to all options which wouldnt always be the case in the original war2.

They might need to be nerfed a slight bit on the damage because of this.

Otherwise towers and such will dissappear the second the blob of fliers gets into range.

Last edited:
Level 20
Yeah enhanced mode before bonus maps have to be built from scratch if you choose to do them would be preferable.

Wc2 in wc3 is a draw but thats not what makes your wc1 campaign good. Its the new elements and bonus objective rewards that carry that make it a fresh but familiar experience.
Firstly, no offence, but i struggle a bit in understanding what you're saying.
"Yeah enhanced mode before bonus maps have to be built from scratch if you choose to do them would be preferable."
So, you'd like to see bonus maps PRIOR to BTDP or after everything has been done?
"Wc2 in wc3 is a draw" what's this?

Whatever additions you have in mind for wc2 ToD id like you to share. And im sure btdp will differ greatly from that. Im thinking you are going to incoporate hero play to some extent. Correct me if im wrong
It was my initial idea to allow an option for the player 1 out of 4 nations to choose at the start of the campaign. Each with its tuned stats of attack/defense/magic(look at their panels here [Campaign] - Warcraft 2: The remake) which give an approximate preview of their general way of techtree dynamic and combat deployment. The idea was "transformed" as it proved to be something waaay big for me to accomplish alone. Instead, by choosing "Enhanced mode" the player will control one of each nations in a rotating fashion(for example "Khaz Modan" Act will let you play as Stromgarde, "Northlands" as Lordaeron and so on). Each nation has its slightly modified techtree, some unique abilities and upgrade/research variations as well.
The panels about Alterac and Gilneas have their reason to be in display, with their stats displayed only as question marks. Why? See you at the bonus maps!

I mean if you nail the AI in the default template and its not an absolute snore fest to complete. Then go ahead and do all 4 before enhancing them.
AI only has to be adjusted in each map because of the waypoints it has to take to move troops around the map for attacks.

Id be more than happy to play this over war2 bnet edition just for the larger screenspace and 3d combat.
I'd be happy too. Besides, the main reason why i remade wc1 was because I wanted to play it myself.

Its pretty much going to be based on nailing the enemy AI and static tower and enemy placements with a map size and range that doesnt break thing flow of the mission on a mission by mission basis thats comprable with the source material.
I don't really get what you're saying here. What is it?

--- Do you have any ideas for gryphons and dragons friendly fire mechanica as presented in the original so they dont turn into a nightmare with this campaign considering flying units arent grid based like wc2. just axing that feature entirely like a few features that were axed during your wc1. Namely the road system. Yuck
I think there will be friendly fire from them. They would just be OP otherwise.
EDIT: oh you mean between themselves. lol i remember when they happened to square up around a target and blasting each other if too close. I think that mechanic won't apply here because of the 3d aspect.

This also sadly presents a situatin where massing air the second they are avail is vastly surperior to all options which wouldnt always be the case in the original war2.
I might just create a trigger for AI to spam missile units when this happens or balance air units to be more fragile like wc3. Theories. We'll see. I don't think it will be a problem, as Gryphons/Dragons are 2500 gold worthy.

They might need to be nerfed a slight bit on the damage because of this.
Otherwise towers and such will dissappear the second the blob of fliers gets into range.
Maybe yes, maybe not. I still have to get there. Will see about it when i do.

Level 14
@LordPerenoldeII

I think features would be neat before moving onto btdp

Bonus maps for tod and btdp AFTER btdp and tod are both done and have their enhanced features.

I also made another suggestion since your preference and main inspiration is the BTDP portion to Finish the base aka non enhanced features for tod and btdp campaigns if you feel btdp would make you more eager to work on it more frequently.

Then do enhanced for all 4. Then work on any bonus editions aka maps.

You did say btdp is what you wanted to do tod was just a hurdle you had to get past first yes?

As for wc2 in wc3 draw. It means

The desire to play your wc2 campaign in wc3. The enhanced features create a desire to play it. Because wc2 bnet edition plays just as fine today as it did 20 years ago.

~For AI i just mean that the map isnt broken and the enemy does nothing

~ the nations rotating based on acts sounds neat. Guessing quite a few kul tiras maps then?

~ exactly so since gyphs and dragons wont hurt themselves and can mass up without a grid which would usually be 9ish. Their tuning may need to be considered heavily. Or else you can just mass them up and swarm the map woth 30+ of them. Would be fun but balance breaking for every single late game map.

You nailed tuning on wc1 well enough im not at all worried about your work being just as magnificent in wc2 tuning and design

Last edited:
Level 11
I always admired WC2 events and I love the storyline, the way how war raged between humans and orcs, the strategy of game, the characters... I'm happy there are people working on improving the old campaigns, such as this one, back together. Good luck with this, @LordPerenoldeII !!

Level 13
It's been a while since I checked on this thread (since I'm busy), Pere-Pere. I'm glad to see that you're still working on this.

Just wanted to ask what's been going on so far. I'm curious as to how the development's been. Any bugs or issues you've had? Any chance we get to see some neat screenshots of your work because I'm curious as to what you've done so far.

Also, I noticed that you guys are tuning the Gryphons and Dragons. I suggest to increase their collision size to something like 64, and let them damage units behind their main target by changing their Weapon Type to Missile (Line).

I'm fully confident that you can pull this off! You're kinda the reason I started my Warcraft: Age of Chaos project, so... ahem... you're sort of an inspiration to me... (Insert 'Notice meh senpai' joke here.)

Level 20
It's been a while since I checked on this thread (since I'm busy), Pere-Pere. I'm glad to see that you're still working on this.
Yes i am. Still on it and kicking. Yesterday i reprised('bout time), i've finished terraining map11. My team-mates terrainers already did the geographical part, but on my request they laid around only dummy units and buildings according to their original position for me to swap in a second moment, because nothing was customized in the beginning. So, i did that yesterday with map11, today i shall go for the scripts section and, if i have time, i'll do its intro as well(god help me).

Just wanted to ask what's been going on so far. I'm curious as to how the development's been. Any bugs or issues you've had? Any chance we get to see some neat screenshots of your work because I'm curious as to what you've done so far.
Yep, so this is what has been going so far: stats have been compiled, units and techtrees have been compiled(just need to test and tweak dragons/griffins), spells have been compiled, researches and upgrades have been compiled, custom units for subfactions have been compiled. Oil system works as it is, its got flaws but i made it work in another way. Human ToD maps are in progress. Atm i'm on map11 and IT SEEMS i somehow found a bit of upturn, so don't say anything about it, because it's hanging on a thread and it could easily set down again. I hope i'm not just talking. I hope i'm gonna resume yesterday's work today when i'm back home from job.

Also, I noticed that you guys are tuning the Gryphons and Dragons. I suggest to increase their collision size to something like 64, and let them damage units behind their main target by changing their Weapon Type to Missile (Line).
yesyes, i've already set that up. Increasing collision size could be an idea. Also i'm planning on slightly weakening their armor because, as @Anaxie said, there could be a major spam from players in late maps, just like there wc1 final mission ended up with the bad(but legit) habit of exploiting the meta of sitting your casters summoning Daemons/Elementals and steamroll the opponent.
Screenshots? hmmm, that might not be a bad idea, yesterday i was overlooking map11 after the terraining was done and i was amazed by my own work! Not because i did it, but because everything was really looking like a wc2 remaster! I shall post it here later so you can understand what i mean.

I'm fully confident that you can pull this off! You're kinda the reason I started my Warcraft: Age of Chaos project, so... ahem... you're sort of an inspiration to me... (Insert 'Notice meh senpai' joke here.)
Once again, i'm flattered for such words. Didn't even think that was possible. Sometimes i amaze even myself.
Also, i feel somehow relieved to hear delays by Blizzard in announcing the release date of Reforged(which could even be 31 dec 2019 for what we know). Keep hope alive!

Level 20
So, i gave you a little demo not too long ago, now it's time for a couple of screens of what i'm onto. Few...but good. ;) The work continues.
EDIT: I would have preferred that lake to have shallow shores, but the terrainer did it like this and there was no way for me to change it.

alterac1-jpg.318002

alterac2-jpg.318003

Level 13
By the light! It looks amazing! It looks like a legitimate Warcraft 2 in 3D. I literally had to blink twice to see if I was seeing actual screenshots of Warcraft 2 or not. My only complaint would be the Lordaeron Summer trees since it simply clashes with the tiles and aesthetic. Why not try using these?

Lordaeron Summer Tree #2 (Beta)

It'll probably fit in. Anyways, project is looking good and I can't wait to see the release of it!

By the light! It looks amazing! It looks like a legitimate Warcraft 2 in 3D. I literally had to blink twice to see if I was seeing actual screenshots of Warcraft 2 or not. My only complaint would be the Lordaeron Summer trees since it simply clashes with the tiles and aesthetic. Why not try using these?

haha true, we'll need to see if gameplay matches too.

Level 20

Lordaeron Summer Tree #2 (Beta)

It'll probably fit in. Anyways, project is looking good and I can't wait to see the release of it!

Thanks but i shall keep the normal type. I need it also for snow and dirt maps, not to mention the exotic-looking mushrooms for BtDP.
I appreciate your feedback. Let's see what i can do.

Level 20
Hey @LordPerenoldeII hes our man,
If he cant do it. No one can!

Really though youre probably the last and best hope for a fully complete warcraft 2 port.
Tooooooooooooooooooooo kind.

I've almost completed Alterac's map scripts. Damn what a pain. I forgot i had to create new enemy troops(being humans) because otherwise the triggers could interfere with the player's own units. It's coming out nicely, i'm 80% done with the map, i can say.

Last edited:
Level 11
Tooooooooooooooooooooo kind.

I've almost completed Alterac's map scripts. Damn what a pain. I forgot i had to create new enemy troops(being humans) because otherwise the triggers could interfere with the player's own units. It's coming out nicely, i'm 80% done with the map, i can say.
Well done, dude. At first I thought the campaign's going to have a WC3 mechanism which includes normal heroes and units based on WC3, not the actual WC2 mechanism. But I'm still looking forward to see this campaign done :)

24 hours must pass before hitting this person again.

This is awesome!

Can I help? I can do scripting/triggers (vJASS or GUI), map editing (I suck at terrain, but I'm decent at anything else), and model editing.

BTW, I'm sure you already know this old mod, but I'll post the link just in case: WC2: 2nd Generation
It fully recreated WC2, including oil, advanced build, etc., so maybe you can use some of its systems.

I would also love to see a WC3-style version of this.

Last edited:
Level 20
This is awesome!

Can I help? I can do scripting/triggers (vJASS or GUI), map editing (I suck at terrain, but I'm decent at anything else), and model editing.

I would also love to see a WC3-style version of this.
oh sh+sh+sh+sh+ i was going to ask you, but i dunno, did it took this long for you to notice all of this? :D Anyway, i'll hit you via pm.

Level 20
So, after i've completed map11 and i'm now moving to map12, i've noticed some work still left to do by my terrainer mate. ;) I got tired of using the map picture in a small window to fit it with the editor altogether, so i had the smart idea to use my gaming monitor as a stretched desktop, thus being able to have full visual of both template and tools.
Also, exclusively for you, a picture of my screen counterpart, as well as my predecessor, Lord Perenolde, addressing to his people before his nation's impending doom. :(

54398971_10218603252297141_3593035967566446592_o-jpg.318912

introalterac-jpg.318911

Level 20
LordPerenoldeII is there a chance we get a new demo
I'm through map13 now, the human campaign is almost complete. Once it's complete, the orc campaign should flow more easily due to the already compiled mpq. I'm just not sure if i should release the first campaign already, or wait for the second. Not to mention the Enhanced versions and the (smaller)bonus campaigns.

Level 16
You can probably release the first one as a demo. Therefore, bugs found can be fixed while you're making the orc campaign and then make a release for the both!

Level 11
You can probably release the first one as a demo. Therefore, bugs found can be fixed while you're making the orc campaign and then make a release for the both!
I agree, but I suggest releasing a beta version of the human campaign, so that the players could find and suggest the bugs that needs to be fixed (if there are some minnor bugs). Of course, don't leave too many bugs. Try to make the campaign as playable as possible with as little bugs as possible.

Level 7
The third one imho. Its colour matches more the rest of the body, and it resembles WC2 Demons the most.
It's a pretty neat job mate, I've been looking for a proper flying WC2 Demon for ages. Will you upload it soon?
Color doesn't matter it is easy change. important is resemblance

Not soon, sorry, this model uses the repainted parts of the textures another authors and will not pass the moderation as the rules require written permissions from all authors. Since it is W.I.P. I do not know which materials will be used as a result. Collecting permissions can take a long time, and if i won't get them, i have to remake it.

Last edited:
Level 20
The ToD Human Campaign is now complete. Only a few things to ultimate before i send it to the team for tests.
I shall work on the Orc campaign right after.
With the already-compiled mpq and triggers, it should be WAY faster than how long it was for this one.
Once again i apologize for the long time it took.

Last edited:
Level 4
Hello! I have been following this project for a few days (so not a whole of new stuff xD). I'm wondering what state this project is in, and if you can give more details (I'm especially interested in Horde stuff, as I'm a big fan of orcs), if that isn't too much trouble. I love what I've seen and I'm really looking forward to playing this (the different factions you can play as seem pretty interesting and the whole concept sounds pretty awesome).

If you plan on extending this mod to be multiplayer too (i don't even know if that's possible), could you make all of those factions playable there as well? (I don't play a whole lot of multiplayer, but I still think it'd be nice)