• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Warcraft 2: The remake

Level 20
I managed to fix the bug of teleporting tankers. As for the oil system, i still haven't found a solution for the oil amount in the platform, but to hell with it, I'm gonna continue with the maps anyway as one of my teammates suggested. Maybe in the future something will come up. It's a shame, though, because it's a great and bugs-free system.

Level 20
Any updates so far ?? (btw love what ya doing <3)
Updates are reassuring. After breaking the oil code, making it functional for AI as well, compiling AI triggers for the first enemy base mission(map 4 Zul'Dare) i'm now moving on a "downhill" state with the campaign. In this way i just have to copy 'n paste the AI triggers and obviously change them according to the map. All matter of single afternoons, but it all depends on me only. With this momentum, right after map 4, couple of days ago, i'm now almost done with map 5, and map 6 should be like drinking a glass of mineral water, also because ships aren't used(and that's gold).
As my (new)signature suggests, don't ask me for sh*t, like when will the remake be released, insist and/or exercise any pressure on me whatsoever. As for the pace i'm in atm(and if i manage to keep it) it would even take a month or so, but i don't wanna fool you, that's not gonna be the case. Anyway never say never, so let's keep fingers crossed.
Once i'll finish the NORMAL remake, i shall upload it, then work on the ENHANCED kickass remake, and that's where the hard work will come.

Last edited:
Level 1
Updates are reassuring. After breaking the oil code, making it functional for AI as well, compiling AI triggers for the first enemy base mission(map 4 Zul'Dare) i'm now moving on a "downhill" state with the campaign. In this way i just have to copy 'n paste the AI triggers and obviously change them according to the map. All matter of single afternoons, but it all depends on me only. With this momentum, right after map 4, couple of days ago, i'm now almost done with map 5, and map 6 should be like drinking a glass of mineral water, also because ships aren't used(and that's gold).
As my (new)signature suggests, don't ask me for sh*t, like when will the remake be released, insist and/or exercise any pressure on me whatsoever. As for the pace i'm in atm(and if i manage to keep it) it would even take a month or so, but i don't wanna fool you, that's not gonna be the case. Anyway never say never, so let's keep fingers crossed.
Once i'll finish the NORMAL remake, i shall upload it, then work on the ENHANCED kickass remake, and that's where the hard work will come.
Sorry if I caused any pressure, good luck my friend :)

Level 14
So what youre saying is by christmas we can retire the old wc2 game forever.

Nice

Level 20
Map 06 almost down. This one took just a few hours!!! CUT MY INTERNET DOWN!! Too many distractions!!
Anyway, three maps in two weeks is not bad. And i could easily do multiple maps at once in bare hours; the problem is that i wanna do some cool stuff(can't tell what) and this is what's taking the greater effort. The simple remake itself is looking great even beyond my expectations. Perhaps i found back the continuity i long time lost.

EDIT: I WON'T release any demo campaign, but i know you folks are eager for some concrete updates, so i have something in plan for you....

Last edited:
Level 20
Ok i have a little update:
1.29 fu@%ed the whole thing. It seems that some hashtable functions(regarding the oil system) are being corrupted by the update(not working, even though there are all of world's math reasons they should). Worst yet....
....1:30 delivered another heavy blow: While i was so excited to use new player colours(which better appeal to wc2 factions), thanks to the f$%@£d up CASC system the custom tilesets for the Khaz Modan maps(and loading screens) are gone too! And there seems to be no way of making them work! Soooooooooooo what i'm currently doing now is RE-INSTALLING an older version(1.28) of TFT while restoring v1.30 saved maps in order to allow 1.28 editor to open them normally, and then retake the project from there.
Thank you Blizzard. You guys really love me, i can tell. >_<

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Yeah... I'm sorry things got messed up, but surely you've been paying attention to some of the conversations surrounding the latest 2.5 Patches, right? One of the biggest things was moving from MPQ to CASC (which means custom MPQs like you & I were using to store all our custom stuff no longer works correctly, as well as some 3rd-party editing tools like Magos that are dependent on MPQs). Now there are alternatives (using a folder *named* "mpq"? or something...), and I have good reason to believe they are working in some great built-in alternatives in future patches. And as long as you have an earlier version saved somewhere on your hard drive, you can use those MPQs for Magos & such.

But don't take it personally. That's just silly; they're not trying to shoot you particularly in the foot. :<

Level 20
So, so so so, according to spreading news, complaints and disagreements on the Battlenet forum, the next patch is going somehow to "kill" the modding community. I'm not worried about bots myself, this is a single player stand-alone project anyway, but there is more:
A few days ago i received word on my youtube channel from a player who claims the wc1 project doesn't seem to open stage 4 or something like it. I heard this as well on Helldoom's Warcraft 2 campaign long before that, and it's another brick adding to the burden. Despite i remove everything related to the newest version in order to open the wc2 project with the 1.28 WE, it still crashes. Also, as i denoted in another thread, custom loading screens are buggy and keep going back to 0kb after i successfully save them in the map import manager; then, the custom terrains(another sparkling touch of innovation that i wanted for the project) won't show up in the map either. Last but not least, version 1.29 or higher seems to cause some sort of malfunction bug in the oil system, which was flawlessly working in the 1.28.
All of this stuff altogether brings me down and seriously cripples my most optimistic expectations. I do not wish to disappoint any of the people believing in this to happen, and most of all i do not wish to disappoint my team mates who terrained all 48 wc2 maps for me. If the project will eventually take a turn i'd need the assistance of a jass expert to AT LEAST fix or translate into jass the gui system used for the OIL. Then, i pray the doctor is going to fix the problem about the not-working imported stuff.
As always, i'll be in touch.

Level 20
in the worst case, you can still make a statement that the mod will work only in older version, may the users like it or not. After all it's a single player so players can make an additional copy of the game.
Despite i remove everything related to the newest version in order to open the wc2 project with the 1.28 WE, it still crashes.
If this can't be fixed then i'm stuck to work with the latest version, which atm sux.

Level 14
Classic team needs to seriously fuckoff they should of just worked on a standalone remaster instead of breaking vast amounts of community assets that worked fine the last 15 years.

But this being the Blizzard of 2018 which is nothing like Blizzard of the 90s and early 2000s. I have no faith really in this company these days doing anything to their customers benefit.

Level 2
Classic team needs to seriously fuckoff they should of just worked on a standalone remaster instead of breaking vast amounts of community assets that worked fine the last 15 years.

But this being the Blizzard of 2018 which is nothing like Blizzard of the 90s and early 2000s. I have no faith really in this company these days doing anything to their customers benefit.

I disagree I do not think they are ill-intentioned. They may have broken things, but they never wanted anything else than improving the game for people. It's just that on many points, they failed.

Back to the WC2 remake, is the oil system the only think really broken with the last version ? Can you not work on other things before coming back later to overhaul it ?

Level 20
So, what's new after the "cataclysm": I've managed to restore all maps from 1.29+ to 1.28f and everything is now working like it used to, before everything went to hell. The oil system still doesn't work for the new maps despite the triggers are exactly the same for the working and non-working maps. It must be because i laid down those maps using 1.29 version. I have a plan for this. Will try to work it out tomorrow and see if it works. If it does, as i think it does, i may be able to finally move on after ages. Damn patches! Let me say it! Damn patches!

Level 11
You should probably keep on working on it, since we will be able to switch from new to old graphics, which mean you will still be able to use old custom models. Let's just hope there won't be too many bugs and incompatibility between your current work and the future game.

Level 16
So, Warcraft 3 Remastered has been announced. My question, as of now, is: What will it be of this project? Is it still worthy working on it? I feel, again, somehow depressed.
From someone who has watched and played your old campaigns from many many years ago, I’m waiting to see an update.

I have been here since 2004, you did great work back in the day. I know you can do this if your wanting to see it complete. I for one, would love to see it happen!

Level 1
i created an account just now in hopes i can be some inspiration to keep on trudging! Since i was born a YEAR after the originals were made, i never really got to experience them and have recently been searching the internet for the original that i could get to run on a windows 10 through some kind of emulator or some shit, but im pretty sure giving up is a viable option and if you create this i would fangirl so hard and be your biggest fan bro. Please. i see your updating it frequently, and it gives me hope, the only other way i may be able to play this is to buy a rock and use my dads old cd in it lol ive played games made by you guys before, cant quite remember what exactly but ive played SOMETHING on warcraft 3 with yalls name on it, so i know yall have a good rep.
Again, not demanding whatsoever, but you would be my hero.

Level 20
Thank you @deathanator
I forgot this thread was already in map development forums. I wanted to open a new one for what i have in plan here but i guess i'll have to make it due.

DEMO CAMPAIGN BETA
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/wc2_tod_humans-w3n.309423/
LINK AVAILABLE FOR A WEEK ONLY

PLEASE READ BELOW

With the impending onslaught of Warcraft 3 Reforged i feel i have to put more effort into pushing this forward, but troubles are still up. Let me start this over:
This is a beta demo Human Campaign of 6 maps. What? Just six maps in 1 year and a half? Yes, apart from importing everything, finding the material, recalculating and testing all the stats, being able to find the mood, but mostly the continuity, is a problem for me but as soon as i find it i can complete a map full with cinematics, triggers, scripts and all that in a mere 2 days. The problem is that everytime i find the continuity, the same problem comes up, and it's the reason why i NEVER wanted to even touch the idea of remaking this game, believe it or not: it's the OIL system.
The OIL system works flawlessly for the first maps(ice tileset) but doesn't work for the Khaz Modan ones nor for the new maps i create, even if i did bring the whole project back to 1.28f and successfully restored custom loading screens, tilesets etc. in the process.
The system is taken from this thread [GUI] Custom Resource Harvest System 1.05 I've long time texted its creator, but he just popped in(active in forum) without answering.
You will find the oil system triggers at the bottom of the trigger tree in each of the maps where it is implemented(the ones where you have naval units and stuff). In mission 5/7 you won't be able to produce ships until the trouble is sorted, and that means you. Yes, i came to this point, where i have to ask for anyone who might be able to solve this riddle, or find a valid replacement for it.
The main problem is when an oil-requiring unit/building is clicked for training, and the system doesn't recognize the current amount of oil owned by the player with the corresponding oil amount required for the training/building. It is basically located in the very last trigger rows at the bottom. Once again: It works for the first maps, it doesn't for the others, and everything has been copied and pasted as it was in the previous map.
Going back to the campaign:
At the moment i'm writing this up from my office at work, so i obviously don't have access to my computer and can't take any screenshots for you or upload the campaign yet(even because there are still a few things i need to add interface-wise)
AI has been improved in some maps. There are custom models you haven't seen in any wc2 remake attempt published so far, and this, together with original musics, the wc2-themed custom interface, the wc2-themed tileset you'll find in Khaz Modan maps(and later in Northlands maps) and the innovative briefing cinematics altogether will make this an extremely accurate remake(allow me to say it) of which i'm already being proud of, and really enjoyable to play. Let me say just this: i was testing map 5 in khaz modan and instead of the standard map cheat code i typed "on screen" without even realizing it, even asking myself:"why is this not working??" xDD
I haven't tested objectives of several of these maps(they should work just fine), and AI base management may not be fully optimized, but hey, this is a beta, right? And the purpose of the whole thing is aimed to the OIL system concept, so please, please, please, i beg for your help. I've remade wc1 as a player for the players, and this is what i'm still doing. I'm doing this for you, and FOR FREE(although some voluntary donation would be extremely appreciated, and i'll set up something for the purpose in the future)! I still believe in this, i CRAVE for this, but now more than ever i need you to help me with this.
Thank you all and sorry for the WoT. The link should come up in the evening top.

Last edited:
Level 16
Thank you @deathanator
I forgot this thread was already in map development forums. I wanted to open a new one for what i have in plan here but i guess i'll have to make it due.

DEMO CAMPAIGN BETA
[Link coming soon]

PLEASE READ BELOW

With the impending onslaught of Warcraft 3 Reforged i feel i have to put more effort into pushing this forward, but troubles are still up. Let me start this over:
This is a beta demo Human Campaign of 6 maps. What? Just six maps in 1 year and a half? Yes, apart from importing everything, finding the material, recalculating and testing all the stats, being able to find the mood, but mostly the continuity, is a problem for me but as soon as i find it i can complete a map full with cinematics, triggers, scripts and all that in a mere 2 days. The problem is that everytime i find the continuity, the same problem comes up, and it's the reason why i NEVER wanted to even touch the idea of remaking this game, believe it or not: it's the OIL system.
The OIL system works flawlessly for the first maps(ice tileset) but doesn't work for the Khaz Modan ones nor for the new maps i create, even if i did bring the whole project back to 1.28f and successfully restored custom loading screens, tilesets etc. in the process.
The system is taken from this thread [GUI] Custom Resource Harvest System 1.05 I've long time texted its creator, but he just popped in(active in forum) without answering.
You will find the oil system triggers at the bottom of the trigger tree in each of the maps where it is implemented(the ones where you have naval units and stuff). In mission 5/7 you won't be able to produce ships until the trouble is sorted, and that means you. Yes, i came to this point, where i have to ask for anyone who might be able to solve this riddle, or find a valid replacement for it.
The main problem is when an oil-requiring unit/building is clicked for training, and the system doesn't recognize the current amount of oil owned by the player with the corresponding oil amount required for the training/building. It is basically located in the very last trigger rows at the bottom. Once again: It works for the first maps, it doesn't for the others, and everything has been copied and pasted as it was in the previous map.
Going back to the campaign:
At the moment i'm writing this up from my office at work, so i obviously don't have access to my computer and can't take any screenshots for you or upload the campaign yet(even because there are still a few things i need to add interface-wise)
AI has been improved in some maps. There are custom models you haven't seen in any wc2 remake attempt published so far, and this, together with original musics, the wc2-themed custom interface, the wc2-themed tileset you'll find in Khaz Modan maps(and later in Northlands maps) and the innovative briefing cinematics altogether will make this an extremely accurate remake(allow me to say it) of which i'm already being proud of, and really enjoyable to play. Let me say just this: i was testing map 5 in khaz modan and instead of the standard map cheat code i typed "on screen" without even realizing it, even asking myself:"why is this not working??" xDD
I haven't tested objectives of several of these maps(they should work just fine), and AI base management may not be fully optimized, but hey, this is a beta, right? And the purpose of the whole thing is aimed to the OIL system concept, so please, please, please, i beg for your help. I've remade wc1 as a player for the players, and this is what i'm still doing. I'm doing this for you, and FOR FREE(although some voluntary donation would be extremely appreciated, and i'll set up something for the purpose in the future)! I still believe in this, i CRAVE for this, but now more than ever i need you to help me with this.
Thank you all and sorry for the WoT. The link should come up in the evening top.
*awaits patiently*

I also have played these: (Perhaps they can be useful)
Warcraft II: Human Campaign
Submitted by Stormshock

Warcraft II: Orc Campaign
Submitted by Helldoom

Last edited:
Level 20
*awaits patiently*

I also have played these: (Perhaps they can be useful)
Warcraft II: Human Campaign
Submitted by Stormshock

Warcraft II: Orc Campaign
Submitted by Helldoom

I played them too. Stormshock has helped me in terraining half of the whole project, including the human TOD campaign. Helldoom project, commendable effort apart, is rather poor in details and buggy scripts here and there. btw the link is ready. Putting it now in the last post.
EDIT:
more notes:
Map 5, 6 and 7 are partially bugged building/training-wise due to the oil system not correctly working.
Blacksmith upgrade icons are brand-new, can't explain why atm, but i'm planning to take back to their original look.
Enjoy and once again help me out to solve that oil bug riddle, if you ever can.

P.S. HOPEFULLY IT SHOULD LOAD OK WITH THE LATEST GAME VERSIONS. SWITCH TO 1.28f IF UNABLE TO, OR SHOULD SOME MAP CRASH.

Last edited:
Level 1
I've tried the demo, first level was smooth but the second one crashed.
All I did was
1. Trained peasants and build 1 farm
2. Killed both orc ships and moved my destroyers back and forth a bit.
That was it.

Also I've a question about vision range - I find it to be too short.
I know it's how it is in WC2 but for me increasing vision range would be a "quality of life" change.
It just feels a bit unnatural that soldiers cannot see more than 4 meters ahead. And I'm sure that increased range would not raised a single complaint. :)

Level 1
Regarding the oil issue... I know I would be blamed as a heretic but... I'd say "screw oil".
Yes, now burn me in sacred fire. :)

Oil was needed to build ships and a few upgrades, and that's it. Yes, it added a new layer in WC2 'cause you had to control the seas.
But I, personally, always disliked this new resource mechanics and would be just as happy if there was no oil and ships required, say, more of lumber.
And to be honest, oil never reappeared in WC games... hell, even the ships themselves didn't look like they needed oil!
So if it was me rebuilding the WC2 campaigns and I had such issues, I'd just omit it from the game.
No need for custom UI showing your oil. No need to fix path issues.
But that's just my 5 cents. :)

Level 20
I enjoyed the demo, It's a lot brighter intro then the previous one, but the sound quality was lower plus had all the background sounds that didn't seem to fit in the intro.

PS- old wc2 unit sounds in the future I hope?
I don't think there will be anym. First because it would sky-rocket the whole file size and second because there are no fitting sounds for attack. I might work it with expansion hero units though.
I don't understand what you mean with the sound quality. The sounds were just the same i used for the wc1 remake.

I think that later maps has oil problems since more factions use the oil system. I didn't delve much into it, but that is likely a problem, for example, the oil you gather (and spend) is from player 12, despite you being player 2.
You mean oil is technically gathered for p12 only? That would explain why units can't be made since oil is going exclusively to tthat player. How did you came up with this

Level 20
I've tried the demo, first level was smooth but the second one crashed.
All I did was
1. Trained peasants and build 1 farm
2. Killed both orc ships and moved my destroyers back and forth a bit.
That was it.
Then it must be a conflict of versions.

Also I've a question about vision range - I find it to be too short.
I know it's how it is in WC2 but for me increasing vision range would be a "quality of life" change.
It just feels a bit unnatural that soldiers cannot see more than 4 meters ahead. And I'm sure that increased range would not raised a single complaint. :)
It's fine. If i could set the max unit selection limit to 9 i'd do it, but i can't. :)

Regarding the oil issue... I know I would be blamed as a heretic but... I'd say "screw oil".
Yes, now burn me in sacred fire. :)

Oil was needed to build ships and a few upgrades, and that's it. Yes, it added a new layer in WC2 'cause you had to control the seas.
But I, personally, always disliked this new resource mechanics and would be just as happy if there was no oil and ships required, say, more of lumber.
And to be honest, oil never reappeared in WC games... hell, even the ships themselves didn't look like they needed oil!
So if it was me rebuilding the WC2 campaigns and I had such issues, I'd just omit it from the game.
No need for custom UI showing your oil. No need to fix path issues.
But that's just my 5 cents. :)
Without oil wc2 wouldn't play as the same. The naval dynamics and mechanics would look kinda flat and less "alive". Unfortunately is something that, one way or another, has to be done. Should i create a PvP content in the future, i will omit said system. That's for sure.

Level 1
I really hope this gets finished.
I am obsessed with wc2, I played through all 4 campaigns over 15 times within the last year.

Idk much about World Editor stuff (or anything, really) but
If what Mechanical said is true, and the problem is that multiple players use the same source for the ressources, which breaks the game if theres more than 2 factions on the map using oil, then there is two things I was wondering:
1. you could, as a bandaid, merge all multiple enemy factions on certain maps. Youd probably need to tweak the AI tho, to reduce interaction between the bases maybe, Idk, to prevent changes in strategic behaviour of the AI if one base is under attack or something.
2. A more elegant solution would be to just remove oil for the AI altogether, and automatically let all oil gathered be put onto the players stash. As a player, counting or estimating the enemies oil isnt really necessary in campaign wc2, especially not in ToD, cause the base game is so easy anyway, so it would barely change the subjective experience youre trying to recreate. Of course, to keep appeareances up, youd need to still have the AI gather Oil, and you probably need to come up with a way for them to use up oil patches without the oil going anywhere. Maybe you could make a second oilpatchbuildingthing for the AI, that looks like it would for players, but it doesnt actually allow gathering, instead, you calculate the amount of Oil gathered by the AI in Wc2 per minute per level per amount of oilships assigned to a patch and that building removes said amount from the patch in 100ersteps multiple times per minute. Then youd only need to have their oilships on patrol between the patch and the port, purely for appeareances, or you could combine the last two things maybe.
Idk if what I suggested is even doable in the editor, but if you think about it, to create the wc2 ToD experience, you NEED oil only for the player, as long as you can somehow still make sure that a) it LOOKS like the enemy is gathering, and b) that they still build roughly the same amount of ships per timeframe as they did in ToD.

That being said, I am completely untalented when it comes to technical stuff, so I am probably just wasting your time, sorry about that.

Level 7
I don't think the lack of an oil system would make too much of a difference. I'd just treat oil as gold. Yes it changes the gameplay slightly but such things are acceptable when such mechanics are missing. Not to mention that I've tried to do an oil system before and it was a b!%*# to get it even half working.

Level 20
@LordPerenoldeII,
Would you consider making a Melee map of your WC2 remake?

I’d love to see a Garden of Warcraft made by you.
I will, but at the end of the project, when all subfactions will be ready and done. As i said, i will omit the oil system for that one, so it should play more wc3-like.
Thank you for your feedback guys, i will see what i can do. Thanks to you i have a few new ideas to try. Tomorrow i'm flying over to italy for the weekend so i'll be back to work on monday. Have a good time everyone.

Level 16
I will, but at the end of the project, when all subfactions will be ready and done. As i said, i will omit the oil system for that one, so it should play more wc3-like.
Thank you for your feedback guys, i will see what i can do. Thanks to you i have a few new ideas to try. Tomorrow i'm flying over to italy for the weekend so i'll be back to work on monday. Have a good time everyone.
Awesome! Can't wait.

Level 1
What, why :D

uhh, probably because I am an addict. I tend to play things Ive already played, cause it doesnt require thinking.

it actually didnt take a year, it was a timeframe of like 2 months last fall/early winter. I basically didnt do anything else for a while, except playing that game 10-14 hours a day.
after the 4th or fifth playthrough, I started adding conditions. Ie not using air, or not building more than x workers, or just playing through it while trying to maximize the spare ressources I have at the end of every level and whatever else I came up with. It was nice, but my memory of that time, or any other time in the last few years, is spotty at best.