• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

[Campaign] Warcraft 3 Reforged campaign with World of Warcraft Geography

Level 4
Hey, thanks for taking a look! This project intends to recreate and expand the reforged experience with recognizable geography and relationships to its World of Warcraft counterpart. Before I go making things more complicated, take a look at these screens of an unpolished Orc Exodus map, the opener of this campaign. It should help illustrate what I mean as I attempt to explain this project.

So, this map intends to recreate the entire Warcraft 3 campaign experience, while adding more player choice in the events of the lore. To that end, this entire campaign is a Bronze Flight offshoot of the original timeline, where the decisions of Grom Hellscream during the period of the player tutorial can change the outcome of the lore and the world. To that end, these screencaps are of that first level. If the player wants to have a completely vanilla experience, they can simply get defeated and captured by a patrol, whereby Thrall will free Grom and the campaign will continue as the original timeline. However, Grom's main quest in this chapter is to rally the Horde beyond the Frostwolf clan and those liberated from internment. While the Warsong Clan and the Frostwolf clan are migrating to join with Thrall's forces, Grom can take control of a small group to do quests, gain experience and generally influence later events. For instance, Grom starts the map carrying the Skull of Dentarg, and if Grom raids Scholomance it will slip from its fastenings inside the crypt, being replaced by something of greater power. During the Scourge campaign, Dentarg will then appear as a trusted commander for Ner'zhul. Grom's main quest will be to gain enough renown and create the right circumstances for clans like the Dragonmaw and Blackrock to follow Thrall through Grom. One of the ways Grom can accomplish gaining renown is by tracking down and defeating the unique commanders of many patrols, like Fellari Swiftarrow, Dorgar Stoenbrow, Garithos and even Jaina. If these commanders are killed, they will be missing from the campaign progression (No humans in Kalimdor=Stronger Scourge + Forsaken, No Garithos means Scarlets take command of Lordaeron defense. Conversely, avoiding these captains means Jaina will allow her to proceed to Kalimdor, Fellari Swiftarrow will be present in Silverpine in the Blood Elf campaign to offer Light Magic to Kael, Dagran can join the Scarlets, etc.

Speaking of Kael, the maps are big enough that they can fit several chapters into each one. For instance, the end of this particular map has Arthas moving in with a patrol that can attack and kill Grom, while the other commanders only capture him. This NPC action takes the place of Chapters 1 and 2 of the Human campaign, starting Arthas in another map completely which you can see in the minimap of the Frozen Throne Icecrown picture. On this map, Arthas will purge Stratholme, travel to Icecrown and return as the fallen Prince, possibly with Dentarg who can add an undead orcish flavor to the Scourge. This map will also be used for the final confrontation between Illidan and Arthas in Northrend, while the Forsaken are rising in Northrend. The Scourge player will have to hold on to Scholomance in Lordaeron while also navigating Arthas through Azjol-Nerub to become the Lich King.

So to highlight this example, the Kael campaign starts in the Alterac Map for chapter 1 and completes in chapter 2 in Draenor making only 2 maps necessary for his campaign.

Now, as for World of Warcraft geography. I'm trying my best to blend the warcraft 3 recognizable scenery (like strahnbrad) with as much geographically accurate worldspace as possible. In the picture with Scholomance, a keen eye may notice that the dungeon space is roughly correspondent with the WoW worldspace. In instances like that, where the player has likely visted the space many times in raids such as Stratholme or Dire Maul, mirroring will be attempted. In places people rarely visited like Aerie Peak or couldn't visit like Dalaran, I took some liberties.

Anyway, by the end of a campaign you could end up with a vastly different kind of ending, or the vanilla ending, depending on the choices you make along the way while remaining grounded within the Warcraft lore.

I'm hoping to release the first chapter, the Alterac-centered map in most of the pictures, as an alpha when I get the triggers figured out. Any help would be appreciated, especially someone interested in triggering or modeling (There are no Apex Crystals for Blades Edge for instance) but any help at all would be awesome. I'd like to spend my time finishing the terrain on these maps and detailing them, and that takes a long time while learning triggers through the (very helpful) Hive tutorials.

I also have another Bronze Flight project I'm working on that's a multiplayer, but that is tabled while this one has priority.

Some other (but by no means all) outcomes that can happen:
-Grom destroys or subdues Boulderfist and Crushridge-the Syndicate successfully captures Alterac and Stromgarde
-Jaina is killed-Arthas can join the Scarlet Crusade, gets extremely racist, and falls to the Scourge with his racist faction leaving Scarlets more tolerant
-Dorgar Stoenbrow survives both the Alterac and Silverpine missions- Aerie Peak and Dun Garok join Scarlet Crusade
-Thrall Kills Mannoroth and dies-Grom becomes leader of the Horde

etc etc

Eager to hear feedback. I hope this will scratch the itch many of us had when we first heard Reforged was coming out.

Attachments

• Aerie Peak.png
    Aerie Peak.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 92
  • Andorhal.png
    Andorhal.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 98
  • Dalaran East-Central+ Prison Outer.png
    Dalaran East-Central+ Prison Outer.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 90
  • Ruined Durnholme.png
    Ruined Durnholme.png