• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #9 - Biome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if I'll make the deadline, but here's an early WIP of what I have in mind for my desert biome race. I'm calling it the Sandborn for now, though I can see it keeping the name. As you can see in the image below, I've been experimenting with custom ground textures.
116571-albums7711-picture90706.jpg

Actually yeah, I see what you're saying, that is different.

So... are we allowed to have external help or not? (I've requested some model changes from Retera since I'm an absolute tragedy when it comes to 3D editing).

UPDATE:
116571-albums7711-picture90847.jpg

If you're telling yourself that my screenshot looks a bit saturated, that's because I have an ENB on (yes, it even works in the World Editor). I would've posted comparison shots earlier but for some reason taking screenshots in-game doesn't apply the ENB, so I had to open up the editor and click on the taskbar to make sure it's not the active program, and print screen, paste in photoshop, etc. PM me if any of you are interested.

Comparatively, the ENB looks best when seen from a bird's eye view. The main issue with it is that it can darken the minimap slightly and push back fog (i dont know why it does that) so it could potentially alter the atmosphere of your cinematics. Otherwise, if you don't have a PC that's from the stone age, there should not be that noticeable of a framerate drop.
116571-albums7711-picture90848.jpg

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
this theme was pretty interesting itself. i couldn't get what was the issue with it. until the host had to restrict it and now it is ridiculously boring. :v
Thanks... But if the "restriction" you're referring to was the clarification of "Forest vs. Desert Biomes", that was actually the original intention/idea; focus on one or two specific Biomes & see what could creatively be designed out of that. As stated in the earlier "techtree contest submission/discussion" thread, I believe there are more than plenty of cool & unique races that can be made in a given faction (Forest, Desert, Mountain, etc)... I was disagreed with to where we decided to focus on 2, in a sort of "head-to-head/opposites-attract" kinda way.

But yeah, that's the way it was supposed to be. :<

~

Finally, a response (though belated) to an earlier section (and really, for the most part it's just semantics/pedantics now; not trying to change anything):
Different schools of tech making. One will suggest you to stick to the around 12 units (or in case of Kyrib0 exactly 12) and in generally aim to make warcraft 3 gameplay race. I am in this group by the way.

Other path is to not think inside the box and have no limits besides the ones you set yourself. This is much harder to make and balance but result will be more interesting.

Will just remind you that in the end Pharaoh said there will be no forcing of limits. And as I said at beginning of the contest I find it very ironic he included "balanced qualitatively and quantitatively with the original 4 races".
No limitations doesn't pertain to lack of balance. It gives you the responsibility to create a race on your own terms, but at the same time it must make sense. It can't be more powerful than the default races, neither can it be weaker. Sure it's more difficult to handle, but this is where you manifest your experience and deep understanding of what you're doing. If you feel uncomfortable with it, yes, you can adhere to the basic number of units introduced by the game itself.
Whatever opinions you or others may have on the subject (and believe me, we've had quite the go at it, so I recognize there are many :p), my main point/problem lies in the fact that you literally copy/pasted the "contest submission" I wrote up, while changing some of the things that made it fundamentally improved/different. While I'm grateful for the former, I feel the latter should be addressed.

Essentially, the section that states "...balanced qualitatively and quantitatively with the original 4 Factions..." has a very clear & specific meaning, that has been ignored.

"Quantitatively" comes from "Quantity" which means "numbers/amounts (of things)". So the races must be "balanced according to the numbers/amounts of things", according to the original 4. And in the original 4, there are certain quantities (numbers/amounts of things) that are existent & balance-related; the number of Heroes (4), the number of Units (12), the number of Buildings (10-11), the number of Items (8-9 IIRC)... Nearly everything (number of Hero abilities (4), numbers related to attack & defense, etc).

So if these things are (by "Contest Rules") meant to be "balanced quantitatively... according to original 4 races", then it cannot simply be a matter of preference; each contestant should submit something that conforms precisely with that ideal.

~~

Again, not trying to change things at this point (and if I had had any time to work on an entry, I likely wouldn't have had enough for a full-race & would've submitted a partial/mini-race anyway, lol), but just pointing out the contradiction for future reference. Everything I wrote in the original submission, I did for a reason.

Level 21
Well I believe 90% thought when they heard "biome" they thought race had to be based of biome they chose. Then we were told the actual idea was that contest picks a biome and make a race that happens to be on the biome. I then fought hard to expand it to more biomes with ideas like continental biomes or at least these two biomes (Desert and Forest had most votes). I myself don't consider picking one theme and picking a race that lives there a theme, but rather "here is the list of races you can make, have fun" so basically Free Themed contest with a race selection limit. But what is done is done I am more worried about finishing.

Anyway I am more interested about the:
So... are we allowed to have external help or not?
Should probably ask Pharaoh by now.

@Spellbound

Those look great and I wish I had skills to make textures like that (I don't have any idea what EBN is though). But what about the actual Techtree info. Looks are just a fraction of races we make here. Very few here are bothering to speak about there races in this contest which is kinda boring to me and feels like we are in eyecandy contest.

Level 2
Well, I have been busy the last weeks and not been able to work on my techtree. I'm not busy this week though, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it in time. Also I can't really get all the astethics right with the recources that exist :p

The idea I got was pretty good though, so I might come back to it in the future, but I'll still try to make it into something for the deadline :)

Those look great and I wish I had skills to make textures like that (I don't have any idea what EBN is though). But what about the actual Techtree info. Looks are just a fraction of races we make here. Very few here are bothering to speak about there races in this contest which is kinda boring to me and feels like we are in eyecandy contest.

I was focusing on getting a distinct visual style before I did any techtree work. Almost done with the techtree though. Expect something soon.

Also ENB is a third-party graphic booster thing that is often used with GTA and Elder Scrolls. It can turn a bland-looking game into a graphical masterpiece, though it's quite the resource hog. Here's an example with Skyrim (you should prolly check the vids as they offer comparison shots between non-ENB and ENB).

Well, I have been busy the last weeks and not been able to work on my techtree. I'm not busy this week though, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it in time. Also I can't really get all the astethics right with the recources that exist :p

The idea I got was pretty good though, so I might come back to it in the future, but I'll still try to make it into something for the deadline :)

Hope you make the deadline. The more the merrier :)

Thanks... But if the "restriction" you're referring to was the clarification of "Forest vs. Desert Biomes", that was actually the original intention/idea;
oh, i thought it was about creating races like "Forces of the Swamp", or whatever. a race that relies heavily on the biome it occupies. that would've been kinda cool.

well then. sorry for making 2 pointless posts.

Level 2
So I had everything planned out on paper, but it turns out I'm very lazy (you know, WoW and Lol...) I don't think I'll be able to do it in time :S

Oh well, I guess I'll join an easier contest next time ;)

Level 18
The deadline is tomorrow. Does anyone have a finished product? I honestly don't. Shouldn't we look at his point about extensions or just give the first guy who uploads his work a 1st place.

I´m afraid that having something actually playable won´t be possible, just WIP.
If we don´t have 3 playable entries, I would like that we extend the contest deadline.

PS: See ya tonight, I will continue working on my Iron Ancients after work.

I started with models for inspiration, so there isn't a lot of super cool gameplay stuff yet, but it's been getting better all day.

Any chance someone could post the number of hours until total deadline (Or did it really end a day ago?) I keep thinking of 12:00 midnight in my time as the deadline, and really that's a poor assumption.

I'll attach a super-super-super crappy WIP map, but it's still super-super crappy. I've started trying to reduce quality to speed up progress, but I've been going too slow.
That said, that's what I get for trying to join the day the contest ended (or was already over)?

Attachments

• (4)TurtleRock.w3x
    6.4 MB · Views: 100

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
This Contest failed to include a specific deadline (in terms of Time), but as in the past, we usually assume the "final day" to include the entirety of that day (i.e. 11.59.59), so in that case:

~
WIP

TC9 - WIP.png

Behold the Alchemist's Union! An entrepreneurial expedition of enterprising, erstwhile Einsteins! The Goblin race has many cartels, and one such is a great Union of scientists, researchers & alchemists. Making their home in the Forests of Azeroth (so as best to gather rare plant ingredients and, ahem, 'volunteers'), these rapacious invaders know how to turn a quick buck.

~

That all being said, I realize(d) that we often use GMT time... And by that time (heck, even by mine), I'd be out of luck.

So... If we wanted to get that extension-thingie going, I'd be all ears. : ) Otherwise no harm no foul I guess. :<

Level 21
@ Retera

Ok I saw your race and well it clearly is unfinished so can't judge to much. Kinda clear that you focused mostly on appearance aspect of race since you have loads of specific tailored models for this particular race. I am confused why didn't you lock camera on models it is actually easy to do. Also you should have used some system to start the race with main building and workers instead of placing everything on map.

I suggest you use this system. And actually have proper unit/building requirements since you can't train or make half of the stuff.

@Kyrib0
Even you provide only picture? I guess looks nice but lacks icons. Use this tool to make icons, all you need to do is make screenshot of model (I suggest in Viewer) and use this program, you can even use it to make hero icons for the score screen.

And well unless specified I always assume it is GMT time but could be wrong. For the sake of contest I strongly insist we get an extension so we could have some finished products. I just don't know whom to ask as Pharaoh doesn't seem to be moderator in charge.

Level 25
Well i don't know about others but without 2 weeks there is no chance i could finish my race.
Since i have to fit it in my schedule in between tests which started a week ago.

Unless i compromise on the quality of the submission which i don't see myself doing.

That being said if i am the only one needing so much time it would be crazy to extend it because of me alone, so we need other participants which are working on their entries to pitch in.

Level 21
Well lets be honest nobody finished and only one person submitted a map which clearly needs more work. It is definitely not just you it is for everyone who participates in this contest and wants to finish. I think 14 days would be ideal for everyone, if we want submission of good quality and not just have glorified model galleries maps.

Yeah, it was painful for me submitting my map and knowing how totally borked all of the actual tech was because it's all untested, and towards the end was thrown together in hopes that I might finish it before a family activity yesterday evening.

I had some cool ideas, but they ended up setup to need more time than I gave myself. I'd vote for an extension!

That said, I joined really late so it seems like I shouldn't really be a deciding factor, because in my case it's my own fault. The map I submitted was literally started less than 48 hours ago.

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

The more time you can give us, the better, since most of the entries aren't even near the end.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I like being lenient with extensions as much as the next guy

That said, this has been running since mid september, and usually when entries aren't submitted, it's not a question of enough time (hello, one and a half months) but of actually having the drive to see it through to the end

What I'm getting at is, how many of you would honestly submit an entry given a two week (or something) extension?

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

It is with me, but we should wait for others.

Level 25
As promised, another WIP, showing the main building (Dust Temple), a collector built on the mine (couldn't fit it whole in the screenshot), the crystal forts and the Reanimator building.

Also has the following unit present:
* Lord of Kalem, str based hero
* Vanguard, core melee unit, house of Kalem
* Accursed, core ranged unit, house of Phaeris
* Dust Disruptor, core siege unit, house of Eerin

Will try to post more of WIPs with more stuff later.

Attachments

• wip_11112014.jpg
    wip_11112014.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 109
Status
Not open for further replies.