• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Solo Mapping Competition #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
Wait, so the Host said that if we want to use copywrited music in our map, we have to contact the creator?

~Asomath

That depends on the owner of the music rules. You just have to have permission.. For instance like stock photo's, many writes that if you just give them credit for it, then you can use it for free... assuming that your not earning money from it.. Else just use one of the several pages that have been linked to in this thread with freeware music.

only multiplayer maps have a size limit of 8 mb. singleplayer maps have unlimited size.
but for this contest, the size limit is around 15 mb

You are missing the point. On this site, there is an upload limit of 8mbs. This site cannot differentiate between multiplayer and singleplayer. Therefore there must be some way to upload a 15 mb map or we cannot upload it simple as that.

You are missing the point. On this site, there is an upload limit of 8mbs. This site cannot differentiate between multiplayer and singleplayer. Therefore there must be some way to upload a 15 mb map or we cannot upload it simple as that.

oh hmm, I can get ralle to change that

or use pastebin?
(don't know if pastebin has also a mapsize limit)

Limited to 10MB

I guess 60-70% of the contestants won't finish their work, or are making low quality maps :p

That is my opinion that is.

Maybe to help Syleona out a bit, we should have like a panel of sub judges. They would all take a couple maps each, test it then would brand it either quality or crap, quality moves on and crap gets stuck in the filter. Just to filter out the s@#% so Syleona won't have to worry about playing through a map that sucks just because shes obligated to completely play through the maps. These judges won't score at all, they're just there to help make sure the entries are serious.

well, but you really can't say at the beginning, that this map is shitty/boring.
maybe the creator has first made some boring riddles like what's 1+1?, and later
he makes traps/riddles/puzzles, which makes fun.
And if you're only looking at the terrain, it won't show you how the creator put effort
into the puzzles. It often happens, that someone is a good coder but bad terrainer.

so Syleona has to go though all, or she searches some other judges.

Maybe to help Syleona out a bit, we should have like a panel of sub judges. They would all take a couple maps each, test it then would brand it either quality or crap, quality moves on and crap gets stuck in the filter. Just to filter out the s@#% so Syleona won't have to worry about playing through a map that sucks just because shes obligated to completely play through the maps. These judges won't score at all, they're just there to help make sure the entries are serious.

Well I did mean that these judges would play through the campaigns, not just play a short part or just look at the triggers

X-OMG-X said:
Also, my brother just inspired me to make the worlds greatest puzzle :D
(will post screenshot when done).

hope it's small enough, so that it fits into your map :p

/edit: damn, somethings wrong with my browser
the browser lags, when I post something, it takes a long time, and sometimes, it sends the post twice.
D:

Level 18
Hmm, as you said, the map should take about 60 min = 1hr. Let`s say there will be about 20 entries, from wich only 15 will be totally succesful (you won`t close them after 10 min), so they all will take about 16hrs ;p
Few maps to make total test will be played few times, so we have about 18 hrs of single player game! hurray!
Good luck! xP

Well I tried to get started on some background music, but I don't think this is going to work - the more I listen to it, the more I hate it. Note that this was a really early WiP, so yeah its going to sound really raw.

(I just got the Guitar Christmas, so yeah I'm no good at guitar yet)

(its pretty quiet so you may have to turn your speakers up)

Attachments

• Background WiP.mp3
    923.9 KB · Views: 89
Level 25
I figured out a way how to make round walls/rooms in WC =)

See now teh epicness of round :D

Attachments

• rough_scetch7.JPG
    rough_scetch7.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 112
Level 25
Amigurumi said:
you have to work alot with cameras, else you can't see anything, cause of
the high walls

I will code myself a camera system, dw.

X-OMG-X said:
Turned out very well kingz.

WherewolfTherewolf said:
Man, the hallway into that room is pretty slim - hope your characters are on a diet

The camera isn't showing the true hallway size, since i haven't implemented the custom camera, i used normal WC camera and rotated it via Page-Up/Down.

Also it needs work, i just finished making the round room :p
That is really hard in normal WC since you can't make roundish things in WC without a strugle :p

Har, im not as bad at terraining as I originally thought. Im not particularly good, but its not crap.

Now, was that a 60 minute maximum, or minimum? Cause mines might turn out to be closer to 90 :/

~Asomath

60 is minimum. I don't think it's really bad if you make 90 minutes :)
but ask syleona, if you're not sure

Level 9
- I'm getting worried for my map is very different than any of the WIP's provided 'till now. Hope I'm not on the wrong way... considering it's my first competition.

@Asomath
Focus on the quality of your traps and puzzles, you could also try to fuse some to make them more complicated, if that's possible.

Level 14
@Asomath
Focus on the quality of your traps and puzzles, you could also try to fuse some to make them more complicated, if that's possible.

Yeah, since I am starting the brunt of it now, I will do my best to compress what-could-be considered "unneccesary" parts of it.

However, the reason it is so long is how I have developed the story and its twists. Its split into 4 parts. Since I am already on the subject, I might as well tell the premise of my story before I head to bed.

For generations, Virian and his village have lived at the foot of Mount Arados. This was not because of the numerous mysterious resources the mountain provided. No it was because of the power that radiated from the mountain.

At the Peak of Arados, a warm light always glowed, dim, but present. This light drew many entities to the mountain for its power; such as the elemental races and a powerful dragon, always only a black shadow in the sky. It was because of the elemental entities and the power of the Peak those vast magical minerals poured from the mountains, and though Virian’s people did not mine the mountain for fear of the entities itself, the minerals did eventual reach their village, allowing them to advance powerful forms of spells, and enchanted weaponry.

However, as it has been said, the resources weren’t the primary benefit of the mountain. It was protection. The light has always held at bay the hostile denizens of the ruined land around them. It was because of this, a group of what could be called “fanatic” priests, who with, as the priest say, the help of the gods, built a temple that was part of the mountain itself. They remained isolated inside their temple, and communicated only through aspiring priests. The priests said their reasons were only for worship; however others said it was for a more serious purpose… A purpose of guardianship…. Although, as long as the light remained, and the village prospered, the priests business was none of the village’s concern.

Virian was their when it all went to chaos.

The light, in the night’s darkness, or at least what they thought darkness was, suddenly vanished. For a few moments, the village lay in true shadow. Everyone was quiet, followed by a single cry. Then, a sinister purple ray of light shot up from the top of the mountain into the sky, twisting the clouds around it. The earth shook, and then disaster struck.

Flaming meteors fell from the sky, crashing into the village. Fires burned malevolently, eating away at what the meteors themselves hadn’t destroyed. When Virian had been hit by a smaller rock and fell into a state unconsciousness, the last thing he had seen was the village leaders, organizing parties in the chaos to stop the destruction, just as a harsh wind worked to stop their efforts.

Virian awoke to an almost peaceful sensation. He was lying on the dirt and it was silent. Dark clouds lay out in the sky, swirling towards the ray of light that had remained shooting into the sky. Lightning flashed in the clouds, but made no sound. He got up, and surveyed the destruction of his village.

After Virian had made sure that his family was safe, he volunteered, along with two of his friends, to go to the temple at the mountain to get some answers, and then to restore the light if possible. They suited up and headed out. A fact unknown to Virian as he arrived at the temple was that as soon as he pushed open those doors, an adventure would begin; an adventure in which he would find out the true reason for the temple; an adventure where he, in order to restore the protection that has lay over his village for generations, would plunge, headfirst, into the dark shadows of Mount Arados and its mysterious Peak.

The 4 parts:

Part 1: The temple of the priests. Its the introductory begginer puzzles, as well as the tutorial of the game. Its how you enter the actual dungeon itself. Im almost done with this part. Expect WIPS and maybe a cinematic trailer soon :p
Part 2: The largest part of the game. It has numerous different levels and zones as you rise through the core of the mountain to get to the top. Their are different puzzles to fit the different aspects of the entities who have been drawn to the mountain.
Part 3: The peak of the mountain, where you face a single level, and one very large bossfight. One of my best works.
Part 4: Somthing I'd like to keep secret for the sake of the story. It contains the final levels as well as the ending bossfight.

Cheers,
~Asomath

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.