• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

PurrsandMlems' Blackrock Clan

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.

-PurrsandMlem's playable Blackrock-
This is a custom orc faction, mainly inspired by the orc enemies you get to fight in the human and undead campaigns.
They are thought to be representing the Blackrock clan of orcs, whom in contrast to Thrall's new horde firmly stick to their old ways.

To play as blackrock clan you need to select orc race, ingame at begin you will get offered a choice to continue playing as orcs or the true orcs. (heh)
Sadly no AI has been written for blackrock clan yet, so only human players got the joy of making use of them.
If you happent to set a computer player as Blackrock, then you would be disappointed to find it doing nothing.

This map was created using version 1.27b, it should run in the current version of Warcraft III without
further editing necessary. However but if you encounter any problems, feel free to comment or send me
a message through the hiveworkshop forums.
Screenshots
Information
General
The Blackrock is a variation of orcs, thus are based upon them as a template.

Their basic unit line-up is not that different to the regular orcs, both hordes have a grunt and troll headhunter,
in the case of Blackrock they are all forest trolls. The Raider gets trained in the barracks, with the Demolisher residing
in the new Machinery structure that replaced Beastiary. This structure also trains Goblin Sappers(with a Stronghold)
and Goblin Zeppelins(with a Fortress) too. The Goblin Sappers damage is upgradeable through the Artillery upgrades,
a new research available in the Forge. The trainable Goblin Zeppelin has additionally got the True Sight ability.

The Machinery structure can be built right away with only a Forge, which is the unit upgrader half of the War Mill
that got split back into two seperate components, with a new lumber mill(or should have say old?) structure taking
over the acting as lumber drop-off and researching building upgrades part. There are few new upgrades like Lumber
Gathering for Peons, that gives only +5 per level as compared to human's +10, and a one time gold mining upgrade
in Forge that requires a Fortress and allows Peons to mine +5 gold per trip.

To obtain food the Blackrock builds Pig Farms, which gives 8 food per structure.
Their Troll Burrows are, as the extra prefix implies are reserved for usage of Troll Headhunter(and Berserkers) rather
than being a peon defense. One additional difference is that they can get upgraded to Watch Towers.

In the Spirit Lodge are found three different units, the new Warlock, and the familiar Witch Doctor in forest troll flavour,
featuring a new different spell set. There is also the Ogre Mage, that acts very different than its Warcraft II counterpart.

The Witch Doctor can initially place Serpent Wards that are identical to those used by thrall's Shadow Hunters.
As an adept level spell has got Shadow Pact, which transfers health from the Witch Doctor to the target friendly unit,
and makes the good(or should i say EVUUL)doctor invulnerable afterwards. Should the doctor have perished while
transferring life however, the target will obtain the invulnerability shield instead.
At mastery level the forest troll version gets to cast the Bloodlust spell, as its rather unimaginable for the horde to
work without using it on a daily basis.
The Warlock on the other hand takes over the role of Shaman, although acting in a vastly different capacity altogether.
Initially it can cast Cripple, on adept level gains capacity to refill mana out of thin air(however is most vulnerable while
doing so), and at mastery level can cast Flame Strike.

Ogre Mages, despite their naming, are a hybrid role unit. They take over the role of Purging buffs from enemies, like
the Shaman can do, in melee they hit hard and can take a lot of punishment by themselves just like a Tauren.
In combat the Ogre Magi are capable of engaging air units by hurling lightning balls at them just like the Shamans can,
with 'Bash' as a inherent combat supporting passive ability it can stun enemy ground units.
They can learn Frost Armor as a second spell, which functions a little different than it's heroical counterpart found on
the undead Lich hero. This Frost Armor takes a lot more mana to cast, and lasts a rather short duration that is equal
to the Lightning Shield. In addition the spell cannot be set to auto-cast, but also gives more armor while it lasts.

For a flyer unit they have got Red Wyrms, which as the name implies are Red dragons with a new nameplate.
Trained at the Wyrm Roost, those can be upgraded with Liquid Fire and gain Resistant Skin.
Red Drakes are the lesser offspring of wyrms, that first require a research to become available for training.
Those can gain the same set of upgrades as their mightier relatives, by themselves are a far simpler unit,
fulfilling the fast moving air attack unit niche on the faction.

On the heroes department can be found a Blackrock version of the Blademaster, which is just a reskin with different
set of personal names.
The Forest Troll version of the Shadow Hunter is more than a reskin however, as it uses Chain Lightning instead of
Healing Wave, and places Healing Wards instead of using Serpent Wards.
Two new heroes are available, the wolf-riding Warlord and the raggety looking yet powerful Warlock Elder.
Of those two, the Warlord can use Fire Bolt to apply burning oil to target unit and surrounding area.
As second ability got Enraging Roar that puts everyone around it into a orcish version of unholy frenzy, named
Bloodrage. It functions similar to the undead spell, with reduced rates to begin with as to be not overpowered at
the early game phase. Command Aura is the third, and as ultimate can summon a Black Dragonspawn, a permanent
duration summon to aid in combat.
This Dragonspawn is a melee unit that has got decent armor and damage to begin with, that increases further
as its set to benefit from relevant unit upgrades. It has got Cleaving Attacks, and can use War Stomp to make
quick work of the enemies' massed melee units. In addition it has got Resistant skin, rendering it unpolymorphable.
Also it has got Death Scream ability that will damage enemy units around it right when it finally dies.

The Warlock Elder initially may use Rain of Fire ability, can raise Dark Minions out of corpses, can siphon the life and
mana out of an enemy unit, draining its very soul to sustain itself. As an ultimate gets to use Call the Storm, which is
a starfall spell reskinned to lightning and stormcloud themed.
In an early version this hero used Monsoon as first, and Infernal as ultimate, however that felt excessive after i have
gone and added Dragonspawn summon for the Warlord hero so decided to change it to how it is currently.

On the items department the Voodoo Lounge features purchasable Sentry Wards by the hero(es), limited Goblin Mines
become available with a Stronghold, and a Goblin UV Scope gets added with Fortress level. This item can be used to
reveal areas across the map, much like the spell Farsight, in addition it also bestows ultravision to the carrying hero.
For an Orb they have got a purchasable version of the Orb of Darkness, that has been re-tooled to bestow the same
amount of +5 like all orbs else, and raises one dark minion identical to the Dark Arrows spell of Dark Ranger's.

This is attempt to list of all people's works have been used, it may be incomplete and i apologize in advance for that.
If you happent to have your resource used, seen it and are not listed here please tell me as to be remedied.
  • Ujimasa Hojo - majority of the fixed and improved default unit and building model replacements that have been used
    came from his awesome 'x and derivatives' packs. thank you, and keep doing those man, they are all top notch !
    also the green chaos icon that was included in the grunt and derivatives pack has seen use here.
  • Mephestrial - Has written an awesome selection system for alternate melee races, infact this is the example map of it.
  • Retera - fixed model for Altar of Storms with the missing back column. greenskin recolor of Warlord hero icon.
  • jj84 - edited icon of pig farm with missing pig pen.
  • Maxwell - the hi-definition remastered version of Tracking upgrade icon from RoC Beta.
  • Ilya Alaric - makes very useful edits based on Ujimasa Hojo's models, of which have used some in this map,
    in particular the greenskin chaos orcs.
  • Callahan - edit of Beast Pit model used for Machinery building.
  • Eagle XI - the Burrow Watchtower model, greenskin chaos peon icon, teamcolored Ogre Mage texture edit.
  • gusanometal - forest troll version of the troll regeneration icon.
  • The_Warchief - skins used by forest troll versions of Headhunter, Berserker, Witch Doctor units. Icons used for
    forest troll Witch Doctor's upgrades. Demolisher unit icon in blue teamcolor.
  • 84chrome - icons used for forest troll versions of Headhunter, Berserker and Witch Doctor units.
  • r.ace613 - parts of his Raider iconpack used for green chaos raider icon edit.
  • hermit - new fitting missile for Watch Tower.
  • DonDustin, Deolrin, Mr.Goblin - Warlock model used from SoC pack.
  • mattdraw - new texture for the SoC Warlock model that brought it inline with the rest of default units.
  • shamanyouranus - red recolors of the shaman upgrade icons.
  • Zephyrius2412 - edited icon used for the Warlock.
  • Scias - icon used for the Warlock Elder hero.
  • Rubellu Sidus - model used for Warlord hero.
  • Nichilus - for help with fixing my Fire Bolt trigger.
  • JetFangInferno - orange Roar used for Death Scream passive.
  • Haistrah - pink magic shield used for Shadow Pact invulnerability effect.
  • Uncle - for help with the Shadow Pact and Enraging Roar ability triggers.
  • Mustang - icon used for Red Drake unit.
  • Hellfire2079 aka Coolman21 - several unused icons from beta.
  • Hallfiry - extracted and provided Warcraft 3 Alpha and Beta stuff.
  • World of Warcraft (game) - some used icons are from WoW.
  • Blizzard Entertainment - this map would not exist without them <3
Special thanks goes to all fellow modders of Hiveworkshop
[2023-10-5]-Uploaded initial version.
[2023-10-5]-update 1 to fix some issues, and make other changes:
  • Warlord was suffering a damage loss when using orbs.
  • Ogre Mage was not assigned their anti-air attack.
  • Reduced gold cost of Ogre Mage by 10 gold, from 255 to 245.
  • Weighted Nets changed to increase duration by 50% instead of doubling it, and now has drawback of increasing the skill cooldown.
  • Added Red Drakes to Wyrm Roost, that can be trained after researching Drake Taming.
  • Reduced speed of Red Wyrm to 270 from 300.
[2023-10-10]-update 2 to fix reported issues, and some changes:
  • fix Ogre Mage being able to cast Frost Armor right away.
  • fixed several tooltips reporting a 0 in their fields.
  • Goblin Zeppelin costs 2 Food now.
  • Red Wyrm unit's turn rate increased.
  • changed Bloodrage icon to a version without antlers.
  • Death Scream visual effect changed to use stock battle roar graphic recolored to red with howl of terror sound.
  • Battle roar ability of Night elf changed to use the new orange recolor howl graphic instead.
  • fixed Spell Slam animation of Warlord was erroneusly set to looping in model.
  • repaired the Enraging Roar ability trigger.
[2023-10-12]-update 3 to further fix issues:
  • fix Orb of Darkness item being overwritten by Wyrm Roost resulting in a weird Tiny Wyrm Roost item.
  • custom_obu2 was displayed whenever a burrow upgraded to a watch tower, this was debug message
    of a trigger, so have removed it.
  • overwritten OrcLumberUpgradeTwo icon with identical import after applying Button Manager to it,
    this should hopefully have fixed the crash on upgrading at Lumber Mill.
  • Red Wyrm anti-ground base attack damage reduced to 45 from 65, seeing as its upgradeable.
  • Red Wyrm model changed because it pops back after dying. That model is super buggy.
    Its now using the model of Black Dragon with skin of Red Dragon applied to it.
  • Machinery structure wood cost reduced to 70 from 140.
    This change should help it become more constructible at tier 1.
  • Spirit Lodge structure wood cost reduced to 120 from 150.
    This is a little something i have thrown in for convenience.
Hello!
This will be my second map uploaded to the hive. Its a bit more original compared to my previous
work, the High elves. I have tried to do them reasonably different than the mainline Orcs faction.

I wish you goodluck and have fun playing as the Blackrock.

Previews
Contents

PurrsandMlems' playable Blackrock (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
I'm not entirely sure what type of Blackrock this is but I think the original Blackrock orcs had Orc Spearthrowers. Seems more like a Warcraft II mix - Zeppelin, Sappers with some little Orcs & Humans spice. Kind of weird to throw in a Wyrm Roost as...
Level 13
Ogre Magi can cast Frost Armor without researching Frost Armor.
I think Goblin Zeppelin should cost at least 1 food.
Gold Mining and Lumber Harvesting says it increases peons can carry by 0.
Goblin UV Telescope tooltip duration says its lasts 0 seconds.
Warlord's Command Aura icon should be definitely different. Maybe use this one?
Warlord's Enraging Roar only affects 1 unit at a time instead of multiple units?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
  1. I'm not entirely sure what type of Blackrock this is but I think the original Blackrock orcs had Orc Spearthrowers. Seems more like a Warcraft II mix - Zeppelin, Sappers with some little Orcs & Humans spice.
  2. Kind of weird to throw in a Wyrm Roost as an item. Might get a bit unbalanced putting some near the enemy base somewhere hard to reach. Moreover, a permanent reveal map area item is even more controversial.
  3. "custom_obu2" when upgrading to the tower.
  4. Improved Lumber Harvesting says it increases by 0.
  5. Command Aura's icon is that of Endurance Aura, for what reason?
  6. 99% regular material including one same hero as the game's orc faction (Blademaster) and one 75% so (Shadow Hunter).
  7. One of the upgrades in the Lumber Mill crashed the game.
  8. The Drake and the Red Wyrm have the same roles except for one attack type difference which makes the Wyrms better at eliminating buildings. Also, you have to research the training of the weaker dragons for some reason.

Overall, a reskin and a bit of orc-human mix. Not quite Blackrock from my point of view. Some unit roles are switched or different (Warlock-Witch Doctor-Ogre Mage; last being nothing like any Warcraft RTS Ogre).

Simple.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Ah, i knew should have tested the map some more.

The drake is a bandaid really, i wanted to make the wyrm able to go on ground to tear down structures with siege damage, on air would use piercing damage like similar purpose flying units. A combination of issues has prevented me from implementing that properly, so had to make due with two dragons, one the larger which is siege damage and the smaller which flies fast and does piercing damage. I agree that the Drake is superflous, and would gladly be removing it once have figured out how to get my idea to work seamlessly.

They are not supposed to have a item that summons a wyrm roost, that item was supposed to be the purchaseable version of orb of darkness, that had been retooled to give +5 instead of +6.
what happened there is on the id of the copied item accidentally entered identical id of wyrm roost structure.
this is obviously unintended and will get fixed.

The intention with the goblin uv scope item is supposed to be Farsight in item form + grants ultravision to hero. If it indeed lasts permanently then that is also a bug.
edit: ive tested ingame the reveal lasts as duration entered, unless there is some other quirk related to it.

Command aura icon is the same because havent found any tauren themed replacement of it to give for tauren chieftain.

can you please elaborate on this:
"custom_obu2" when upgrading to the tower.
edit: wait nvm i see, have left on the debug string txt message of trigger.

can you please tell which upgrade was it that crashed the game ? i need to fix that.
that particular tooltip of orcish lumber harvesting seems to be working here:
Rolutooltipworkshere.png
edit2: oh great, the tooltip works in the editor but not ingame. !#$"?!

edit3: Update 3 is out, hopefully those issues should have got fixed all without breaking anything further.

Last edited:
ah yes the item itself is supposed to be permanent, think of it like a staff of farsight(that also gives uv when carried because only reveal would have been rather lame)

as for what kind of blackrock they are supposed to be, you remember those guys that you get fight in the undead campaign in a snowy mountainous level ? sort of like them.

Im thinking of taking a page out of SoC and retooling the goblin mines in shop to be concussion instead of damage, are those too powerful to have purchasable ?

They are a very odd bunch that i can agree, seeing as they can tame dragons, so must have got dragonmaw orcs with them. presence of Shamans and Far seers means they got to have some Frostwolves on board, Warlocks got to be Stormreavers, Blademasters are from burning blade.
Nameplate says 'Blackrock X' however so decided to went with it, instead of trying to drum up a new name.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
They are a very odd bunch that i can agree, seeing as they can tame dragons, so must have got dragonmaw orcs with them. presence of Shamans and Far seers means they got to have some Frostwolves on board, Warlocks got to be Stormreavers, Blademasters are from burning blade.
Come to think of it, they might just be the remaining free orcs from the Warcraft II Horde since the other orcs became internment camp slaves except for a few Warsongs.

I enjoyed it. It offers a good assortment of modified spells and a nice number of custom models. I like the redone barrow. (I adore garrisonable buildings.)

A few "bugs and balance" observations I made

- Instead of the 2,1 slot, the tracker upgrade is in the 1,1 slot.

- Tier 1 has the machinery building available. (Suggested: Upgrade to Tier 2 to avoid early siege damage.)

- The more powerful dragon unit is available before the other. (Suggested: replace the unit in need of the training update.)

Here are some alternative ideas off the top my head to further the faction from the base orc faction.

- It appears to me that you are concentrating on the Block Rock clan from the WC1 and WC2 (Old Horde). If so, I suggest utilizing a few different models from loktar and Red XIII.

- According to the lore blackrock were gray skinned though it is contradictory on whether they were before or after the second war. I recommend using the Gray Skinned Orc textures by Footman16. They should be somewhere on this page Hive's Simple Edit Resources Thread. To keep the skins from affecting the base game models you would have to edit skin paths in the models you use. This tool can help MDLX Converter.

- I propose that you swap out the lumber improvements for an aura that either increases carry capacity or harvest rate at certain distances in order to further set themselves apart from the base races.

- Rename the Machinery to the Machinery Shop and the Lumber Mill to the Troll Sawmill.

- Use colored text to draw attention to important information such as Damage and AoE values.

- Due to their long history of living in the mountains, I suggest to slightly extend the night vision range of the Orc units, but not to the point of Ultravision.

It's a nice custom race all around, although a touch simplistic. More unique custom models and icons would have been nice, as well as more faction mechanics and triggered abilities.

I recommend reading or rereading the Blackrock clan. I read the wikis often when making lore based factions to help come up with faction mechanics, abilities sets and what units/races to use.

I believe a good review should contain 4 things.
1. Praise for the work done and their innovations.
2. Drawing attention to things that need fixing or could be improved.
3. Offering ideas to help the creator with said improvements.
4. Giving a proper send off.