• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

PurrsandMlems' High Elves

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.

-PurrsandMlems' playable High elves-
Since playing the campaigns always wanted to have the option for playing as the high elves, so have gone and created this mod map.

To play as high elves you need to select human race, ingame at begin you will get offered a choice to continue playing as human or high elves.
Sadly no AI has been written for high elves yet, so only human players got the joy of making use of them. Have fun! :infl_thumbs_up:

This map was created using version 1.27b, it should run in the current version of Warcraft III without
further editing necessary. However but if you encounter any problems, feel free to comment or send me
a message through the hiveworkshop forums.
Screenshots
Information
General
The high elves are a variation of humans, thus are based upon them as a template.
In practice however the high elves are played like a hybrid of human and night elves, having access to both swordsmen and archers,
ballista as siege unit, later hippogryphs(and their riders) instead of gryphons as flyer, while kept the spellcasters of human roster.

One of the changes i have made to them, is so that they regenerate hit points at a rate of 0.50 but only during day-time.
(so like the night elves regen at night, but reverse in day-time)
Units and Buildings
The Workers are, unlike the Peasants, not capable of turning into Militia at the dangerous situation.
Units-wise both the Swordsmen and Archer is a copy of Human's Footman and Night elves' Archer, the Ballista is the Reign of Chaos
Night elf siege unit, and can be spammed right away with only a Blacksmith.
All primary troops get trained at the Hall of Warriors, which uses the high elf reskinned model of a night elven Hall of Hunters.

Additionally, with the upgrade to a Keep becomes available the Den of Travellers structure, that when built allows you to train
Outriders and Farstriders. The Outrider is a elven warrior riding a magic steed, that because a property of this mount is considered
immune to spells. Highly mobile and capable of dealing damage in melee, it has considerably less hitpoints than a human knight
when compared, a gap that gets remedied on the offensive side of things by being able to cast Faerie Fire spell on their own
to soften up and reveal targets using their mana pool, which remains a rather meagre amount.
As its very likely of their opponents to try fleeing, also when upgraded can Ensnare anyone that tries to get away.

The Farstrider is kind of an versatile assassin unit, on its own acts like a beefed up archer, that shoots poisoned arrows. Those
can only cause damage over time on the unit that got hit, much like the envenomed spears of Wyvern riders and very unlike
the spears thrown by those Dryads that also slow their targets. Being rather fast, the Farstrider can hide at night to ambush her
opponents, thus making a great companion to the Ranger hero to setup a lethal trap together.
Perhaps uniquely, the Farstrider is capable of switching weapons after learning this ability through a upgrade, with her trusty blade
out she can move faster and make quick work of anything that gets in her way. As she cannot attack air units in this melee mode
however you might like to switch her back to using her trusted crossbow if facing air units or large groups of tough opponents.
Items and Summons
The Tower of Sun replaces the Arcane Sanctum as the spellcaster's building, with the latter's appearance being re-used for the shop.
The Sanctum Vault as you can guess is the shop structure for high elves. Inside the shop are two new items, a blue version of the
regeneration scroll that works for out of combat mana regeneration instead of hit points, and the Mana Stone Token that can be used
to obtain Arcane Guardian golems, durable slow-moving units that can demolish bases rather quickly and are spell immune.
Also i have decided to add Dust of Appearance and Anti-Magic potion, with the rest of items being the same as the human shop,
including the Orb of Fire. The research for Backpacks is located within the shop structure instead, as to still give its anim a purpose.
Spells and Teching
On the Spellcasters there are some minor changes, like their version of Dragonhawk that gets named Wind Serpent is trained at the
spellcaster building, and has Cyclone ability instead of the Magic leash. Noticeable is the new mastery upgrade in the Tower of Sun,
that reduces mana cost for all of Priest and Sorceress spells when researched, that is only available after fully teching their spells.
There are other new researches in the tech-tree, mostly recycled from RoC beta stuff like Town Watch, which gives all buildings
increased sight-radius, or the single-stage Gold mining upgrade in the Blacksmith that becomes available with a Castle.
Arcane Armor is a replacement spell of Inner Fire, with the change being that accelerates life regeneration rate by half while active
instead of boosting the unit's damage while it lingers.
Heroes and Abilities
Hero-wise they have a variant of the Blood Mage that is called Battle Mage, with an awesome high elf appearance and different skill set.
The Battle Mage can use Mana Shield with improved stats to protect himself, casts Mark of Fire on any unit to summon his Phoenix,
and summons Spell breakers on the spot as his bodyguards, although he is limited to two at a time(one at first level of skill, even)
Those high elf Spell breakers further differ in skill set from their blood elf counterparts assisting in the human armies, as they do not
possess of a passive immunity to magic, but can instead use Magic Defend when required to turn immune to magic at the expense of
movement speed, an ability that those permanent summons gain from level 2 onwards. At the third level they gain Control Magic ability
for free without having to research it, and another difference is the lack of Feedback passive ability on all levels.

When asked about the reasoning behind their methodical differences the high elven spell breakers replied that it would be unpurposeful
to destroy the mana of spellcasters when they wish to control their buffs and summons, as their opponents then would not able to cast
spells or summon creatures without mana thus leaving spell breakers with nothing to do beside standing about on guard duty.

The Archmage and Paladin have gotten new models, and in the case of the Paladin a new set of elven personal names, while their skills
remain unchanged from their Human counterparts. The only change is they got is life-regeneration change affecting all high elves.
Other than those is available the Ranger hero, which can summon Warhawks to scout(and later assist in fighting), use Cold Arrows against
opponents to damage and slow them, and has a Drain Mana skill which like the Drain Life skill of her Dark counterpart at the neutral Tavern
works only on enemies. As an ultimate she can learn Sanctuary, which can be used to preserve one unit at a time. Oh and she can Hide too.
As high elves dont have a direct replacement of the Mountain King, this new Ranger hero is filling in his spot at a vastly different role.
Pros and Cons
The strengths of high elves is their early aggressional capacity, thanks to having a pool of easily amassable tier one units. At late game they
are not weak either, the lack of magic immune units or fast ground units might pose an unique issue and challenge to overcome however.
The addition of Hippogryphs, that are heavily armored unlike their night elf couterparts, opens up a whole new alley of strategies.

As a weakness the high elves have got inferior defensive capabilities, having to rely on units more so than other races to defend their
bases as the defensive towers become available later than other, yet each tower are reasonably a tad bit more powerful on their own,
with both of the level 3 equivelants dealing considerable splash damage at an good rate of fire. Of those two the Sky-Fury tower can
only attack Air units with the lightning bolt it has, while the Earth-Fury tower uses a dragon's breath against ground units.
The Guard Tower can only be built with a level two Town Hall structure, and the Scout Tower may use Reveal ability after Magic Sentry.

This is attempt to list of all people's works have been used, it may be incomplete and i apologize in advance for that.
If you happent to have your resource used, seen it and are not listed here please tell me as to be remedied.
  • Ujimasa Hojo - majority of the fixed and improved default unit and building model replacements that have been used
    came from his awesome 'x and derivatives' packs. thank you, and keep doing those man, they are all top notch !
  • Retera - used Phoenix icon, made available the map script code for fixed Town Hall revealing.
  • SinisterX - used Elven Rider as model for Outrider unit.
  • polardude - has been helpful towards me in the Map Development forum with my trigger inquiry.
  • Ilya Alaric - makes very useful edits based on Ujimasa Hojo's models, of which have used some in this map.
  • Elenai - the maker of the for a long time only available high elf building pack, of which i have used the main building.
    Other textures from that pack used on Den of Travellers to make it appear high elf.
  • Footman16 - Ok, this dude is odd. First he made a rather unique edit for the night elven Altar of Elders to turn it high elven, then never
    released the model or something. Thankfully, he gave blanket permission to use any stuff of his mod-maps so i could bring you that.
  • Eagle XI - made combined main building of Elenai's set, teamcolor roof edits for that set and their icons.
  • Sellenisko - Ballista model from old HoS model pack used.
  • Himperion - has lots of good stuff residing in the simple edits thread, the model of the Highelf paladin, blue orbs for the Battle Mage, Arcane Guardian and that of Farstrider.
  • Verloren - icon has been used for Farstrider.
  • Saelendious - scaled up texture for Elven farm.
  • Darkfang - the ultra hd version of Mana Stone icon that has been used for the Arcane Guardian's summon item.
  • Zephyrius2412 - majority of Highelf upgrade icons in tech tree, the replacement icon for Swordsman.
  • SuperAttackrabbit - his Priest texture found unexpected use on the Battle Mage's middle segment of cape.
  • HerrDave - texture used on Arcane Guardian unit.
  • stein123 - providing edits of several models on request, base image for the blue heal icon.
  • Hallfiry - extracted and provided Warcraft 3 Alpha and Beta stuff.
  • World of Warcraft (game) - some used icons are from WoW.
  • Blizzard Entertainment - this map would not exist without them <3
Special thanks goes to all fellow modders of Hiveworkshop
[2023-09-19]-Uploaded initial version. It resided on a pastebin.
[2023-09-22]-Uploaded an updated version 2 to hive's map database.
[2023-09-25]-Update 1 for V2 to fix some issues:
  • - The high elves had an erroneus 2.00 hit points regeneration rate, that has been reduced to 0.50
  • - checked if the blue orbs of Battle Mage actually works.
  • - the high elf guard tower was supposed to have the feedback passive ability assigned, this has been added.
  • - replaced icons of high elf main building with custom made ones that resemble the human town hall's icons.
  • - animations, spell cast anim speed, visual move rate, etc. of Outrider and Farstriders adjusted.
  • - footprint on snow of Outrider fixed to horse hoof from wolf paw.
  • - the two new SSC buttons was incorrect, fixed them.
  • - adjusted a few tooltips that was not functioning correctly.
[2023-10-08]-Update 3 for V2:
this is a visuals only update.
  • - Ballista gained a new model made by Sellenisko, that is from the old HoS model pack.
  • - given a different front door to elven Blacksmith, because the upscaled farm door bothered me.
  • - particle fx color changed back to yellow from blue on work animation of Tower of Sun structure.
  • - removed the shield spike of Swordsman because shield emblem does appear better without it.
  • - used upscaled texture for Elven buildings, as a result they became a lot less blurry.
  • - applied a faint hero icon border glow to blood mage and kael icons.
  • - edited Archer texture to use the same arrow as Nightelf archer, she no longer draws golden arrows
    that magically turn into regular wooden ones upon launch.
  • -added Brown recolor versions of Hippogryphs icons.
Hai!
This is my first map uploaded to the hive. Hope you like it and don't forget to tell me what you think.
This map took me only several days to create, but i think might have done a decent enough job.

Wish you goodluck and have fun playing as the high elves.

Previews
Contents

PurrsandMlems' High Elves (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
While it's nice looking, it's ultimately a reskin, with no custom gameplay mechanics, lot of Human and High Elf + a bit of Night Elf material being recycled. I don't think Hippogyphs even make sense lorewise for High Elves. Therefore, Simple, I'm...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
While it's nice looking, it's ultimately a reskin, with no custom gameplay mechanics, lot of Human and High Elf + a bit of Night Elf material being recycled. I don't think Hippogyphs even make sense lorewise for High Elves.

Therefore, Simple, I'm afraid.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/